Trying to Plan the Future!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HotShot18

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I was looking for some realistic advice in regards to planning my future, and after searching the internet I decided this would be the place I'd probably get it. :)

I've recently starting looking into possibly going the pre-vet route, but I've started to notice how difficult and time consuming this route can be. Not to mention how costly it also is.
My biggest concern, though, is how being a vet (assuming I ever make it this far!) would fit into my future plans. I am currently engaged to a man who is going to become a commissioned officer in the Air Force in 5 months. He plans to make the Air Force a life-long career. Is being a vet a plausible career choice when you plan to be married to a person who has chosen a career that requires us to up-root and move every 2-3 years? I feel like it would be difficult with all of the different state requirements...not to mention if we happen to get stationed overseas.

Life is always changing, but that was just one of my many concerns about this career choice, and I wanted to get some input on it.

Thanks everyone! :)

Members don't see this ad.

You could become a public health officer in the Armed Forces as a veterinarian. Becoming a military vet would probably be your best bet. That way, you would be assured of a job wherever you landed. Otherwise, quite frankly, it would be difficult to get licensed and then find a job in a private practice setting every time you moved.

Being a military vet will not guarantee you are stationed where your husband is. I know they try to keep mil-mil together but it does not always happen.

I am married to enlisted active duty AF and hoping to get into vet school this cycle. He too plans to make it a career so I am expecting that I will be moving a bunch during the 10 years he has left until retirement. Such is military life. It is what it is.

Reactions: 1 user
Long-distance is an option too, if you feel that you and your fiancé could handle that. It's difficult, but doable.