Trying to share some optimism...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctaJMa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have been watching this forum for a good six months now and I have to say I am a little disappointed. I understand many people have had some poor experiences for mil med and they feel the need to reach out to others to save them from the pain they believe others will suffer. I give those of you kudos for giving us a realistic view of the system. However, I would like to know if there is anyone out there that actually enjoys mil med. I know there has to be some out there otherwise we wouldnt have nearly any physicians in mil med. I just wish some people could give us some good reasons as to why the military is worth it. I have read alot of posts and I really appreciate those of you that stress thinking about joining because for SOME people it is not a good decision. I just want to point out that it is possible for others to have positive experiences. I wish we could hear more of those to give a halfway balanced view of mil med instead of all of the negatives. I guess I was taught that in the end, every experience is what you make it. Just trying to be optimisitic! :)

If there is anyone out there that has positive experiences?

Members don't see this ad.

So I have been watching this forum for a good six months now and I have to say I am a little disappointed. I understand many people have had some poor experiences for mil med and they feel the need to reach out to others to save them from the pain they believe others will suffer. I give those of you kudos for giving us a realistic view of the system. However, I would like to know if there is anyone out there that actually enjoys mil med. I know there has to be some out there otherwise we wouldnt have nearly any physicians in mil med. I just wish some people could give us some good reasons as to why the military is worth it. I have read alot of posts and I really appreciate those of you that stress thinking about joining because for SOME people it is not a good decision. I just want to point out that it is possible for others to have positive experiences. I wish we could hear more of those to give a halfway balanced view of mil med instead of all of the negatives. I guess I was taught that in the end, every experience is what you make it. Just trying to be optimisitic! :)

If there is anyone out there that has positive experiences?

To this point, things in the military have worked out really well for me. I think the program I am in is great. I have great friends that I get to work with everyday. I've had some great experiences that I wouldn't have otherwise had.

I got to move away from my land-locked state and live in a part fothe country that I couldn't afford to live in if it wasn't for the Navy. It also looks like this decision will be benefit me financially since I chose a field where military and civilian pay is equivalent.

It's not all bad. Search for an old thread called "Tell me something good" that was started by yours truly a couple of years ago.

I try to find the positives in the negatives and also try not to dwell on decisions I have made in the past, because you can't change those. There are some aspects of mil med that I have enjoyed. For example, by the time I am done, I will have deployed to some sweet locations that I would have had a hard time going to if I wasn't in the military. One affluent location in SW Asia (where we were allowed off base) and the second in the Carib with a riduculously high per diem. Sometimes it pays to be a squadron medical element, where you deploy wherever they deploy. I have enjoyed being a part of accident investigations (even though they were just Predators). I liked being a part of hurricane relief transport teams.

Although the medical side does not have the same structure as the line side, I still believe that your experience is what you make of it. Given this, every doc as my base that is a GMO has served there time and then got out to go into civilian residency. It has been a mix of whether they go into IRR or Guard or Reserves.

The thing is not be one of those people who constantly bemoans their decision to join the military, as those people seem to make others more miserable. It shouldn't be too much of an issue, as long as you realize that the needs of the military come first and assuming you didn't take HPSP solely for the money. If you can check off both of these, I think you will be happy with mil med.

Members don't see this ad :)
The best thing about military service is the privilege to serve the warfighters-to empower and support them. I think on the operational side more so than the hospital side is the feeling like you are contributing or part of a noble cause.

Do any of you that have been there have anything that you wish you would have known when you were starting? (besides don't do it)

I mean, like, in order to get into the ADT you want, is it better to call the NCOIC at the hospital than to talk to the ADT office (just a for instance, I'm not saying to do this)? What are the tricks that you learn as you go?

While my experience is overall more negative than positive, there are lots of good things that have happened to me in the military and good experiences I'll look back on. If the pay were better and the acuity higher I would give very serious consideration to staying in. Those are the big reasons I'm getting out. The rest of the crap I can deal with (not like, but deal with.) Personally, I find it insulting to be paid 40% of what I'd make on the outside working 2/3rds the hours. And I hate doing nothing but urgent care. I don't mind doing urgent care, but I want sick people mixed in with it. I didn't go in to EM to do rashes, diarrhea, and colds in 20 year olds.

To this point, things in the military have worked out really well for me. I think the program I am in is great. I have great friends that I get to work with everyday. I've had some great experiences that I wouldn't have otherwise had.

I got to move away from my land-locked state and live in a part fothe country that I couldn't afford to live in if it wasn't for the Navy. It also looks like this decision will be benefit me financially since I chose a field where military and civilian pay is equivalent.

I've had a similar experience. I'm living somewhere that I would never live if it weren't for the Army, and I'm making a lot more than my civilian resident counterparts. For the most part, I enjoy my program and the other residents with whom I work. My fellowship opportunities are also a lot better in the Army than they would be otherwise. Luck has been on my side as well, as my wife matched into the only nearby civilian program in her specialty, allowing us to be together.

That said, I realize that I'm living a somewhat protected life as a resident. Check back with me in a few years when I'm stuck at Ft. Elsewhere going blind on administrative paperwork and I might feel differently. Unfortunately, even if I were to really like Army medicine, the salary difference for my specialty between the military and civilian worlds is too great for me to consider sticking with the Army.