TTT-Fulkerson Procedure...Any help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jbone

Herro!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Going in for some major knee surgery this upcoming Thursday (March 23) and want to know if any of you know what’s about to happen to me. I’m having 3 things done: They will scope my knee to clean out all the scar tissue etc, then perform a lateral release; this will be followed by a TTT (tibial tubercle transfer) via the Fulkerson method. Ouch. :(

I know what it all entails and what I’m in for but was wondering if any of you have either had the procedure done on yourself or watched the procedure being performed on someone else (through physician shadowing, rotations, residency, or employment)? (Can’t seem to find any pics...have any?) Going to be down for about 5 weeks but should be able to handle it.
Any comments? Thanks. :D :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

hi jbone,

I am having the same procedure in June. Check out this site. www.kneeguru.co.uk . Scroll down to bulletin board where people post. There is a section under patello-femoral where you will see a lot of people who have had this procedure.

Rehab really depends person to person. Chances are you will need a furthre scope to have screws removed and scar tissue. What is your issue? Mal-tracking or cartilage damage? good luck

I have had a lot of knee surgeries/problems and complications.

i fell

I didn't end up having the TTT procedure... he just repaired the MPFL and pleated the medial retinaculum and it's done well by me so far. No more dislocations anyway. However... when I thought it was a possibility, I did some research and found some pictures on the internet. I don't remember where they were so they might not be up still... but you might be able to find them with a few different search terms.

Good luck! Knee surgery sucks but these procedures appear to be pretty effective. I remember the kneeguru site too... it's a really good place to talk about these things. Those folks aren't physicians, but they certainly know enough to help you out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ifellinapothole said:
hi jbone,

I am having the same procedure in June. Check out this site. www.kneeguru.co.uk . Scroll down to bulletin board where people post. There is a section under patello-femoral where you will see a lot of people who have had this procedure.

Rehab really depends person to person. Chances are you will need a furthre scope to have screws removed and scar tissue. What is your issue? Mal-tracking or cartilage damage? good luck

I have had a lot of knee surgeries/problems and complications.

i fell
Thanks for your replies,
I go in tomorrow, so we'll see how it goes. I fell, I've already been on kneeguru, great site. My name is waxie. My story is there. Anyway, thank you again for your responses. I'll keep you posted. I fell, you do the same. BTW, I'm maltracking which is leading to cartilage damage. Not extremely serious yet, but it soon will be if I don't act now. Thanks. :D

I've assisted in this procedure as a PA a few times and it's really a quite interesting procedure, but really enjoyable because the mechanics seem to be so obvious based on the criteria set out by Fulkerson in the beginning. Patients usually do well, but understand you are essentially "creating a fracture" and letting it heal. Rehab will be your biggest goal, and a lot of times you don't have to take the screws out at all. If they don't bother you. Otherwise taking the screws out isn't done via a scope, just a simple incision, but will be done well after all has healed and your rehab has been complete. Good luck on surgery!

I had my knee scoped for a plica removal and a latteral reliese .

It was three months ago , and i feel worse now . Pain in every step . Going down and up the stairs . Sometimes , even just pushing my leg on the floor . I have been told , that because i got chondromalacia grade 3-4 , this probably did'nt help , and i need an a.c.i procedure with a " fulkerson " , to give me the ability to run jump and exercise . Did any body had that procedure ?

I know its two different times . One to take the sample of the healthy cartilage and then implant it. Do you have do implant it doing the " fulkerson" procedure ?

Does every body have it that way ?

Going in for some major knee surgery this upcoming Thursday (March 23) and want to know if any of you know what’s about to happen to me. I’m having 3 things done: They will scope my knee to clean out all the scar tissue etc, then perform a lateral release; this will be followed by a TTT (tibial tubercle transfer) via the Fulkerson method. Ouch. :(

I know what it all entails and what I’m in for but was wondering if any of you have either had the procedure done on yourself or watched the procedure being performed on someone else (through physician shadowing, rotations, residency, or employment)? (Can’t seem to find any pics...have any?) Going to be down for about 5 weeks but should be able to handle it.
Any comments? Thanks. :D :thumbup:

I've had that procedure bilaterally, though I had the lateral release done bilaterally years ago. Eight knee surgeries in ten years, and the TTT was the last. For me at least, this has been AMAZING. Made all the difference in the world. Though I still have to be careful with certain activities, I now am able to participate in most things (like P90X - I NEVER could have done that in the past!) and am so grateful I had it done.

Obviously the outcome depends on many factors, but at least in my case it was extremely successful. Best of luck to you.