TUCOM-CA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Each essay is a page. Read the directions.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! I'll be seeing you next year! Im also class of 2016. I was accepted into the 2015 class but deferred a year to help my mom after she was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. I was thinking it may be early butI wanted to go ahead and start a Facebook page for 2016 if there isn't one already. Anyone know what the status on that is?

Sorry for responding so late! I been so busy with life. I dont think anyone started one yet I think it would be cool so we can see who is going to be in the class. I know that once we start school we are going to be so busy its going to be all about group studying. I never made a group page so it would be best that you create it and post the link on the thread for those who get accepted. By the way sorry to hear about your mother...you are a strong person who has a good heart :)

Hi there,

On the TUCOM supplemental, it asks for the population of our hometown. How did you interpret this? Are they interested in knowing the population of our present town or the one where we grew up?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey does anyone think it would be reasonable to make a flight at 2:00pm after the interview? I'm from Illinois and trying to plan out my trip so I can make it back for classes the next day

Hey does anyone think it would be reasonable to make a flight at 2:00pm after the interview? I'm from Illinois and trying to plan out my trip so I can make it back for classes the next day

They said the interview day ends around 1:30. Seeing as you have to get to the airport at LEAST an hour before your flight, and Oakland/SFO are both a little ways away, I don't think it'd work out too well. I just booked a red-eye and plan to get back right in time for my classes

Sorry for responding so late! I been so busy with life. I dont think anyone started one yet I think it would be cool so we can see who is going to be in the class. I know that once we start school we are going to be so busy its going to be all about group studying. I never made a group page so it would be best that you create it and post the link on the thread for those who get accepted. By the way sorry to hear about your mother...you are a strong person who has a good heart :)

Thank you! So this is a little early but I've started a facebook group for everyone who is accepted into the 2016 class. Best of luck everyone!

http://www.facebook.com/groups/TUCOM2016/

I just emailed Lynn and withdrew my app/interview thats on 9/27. so anyone can now grab that date. GL

This is one of the few medical schools in California, I am not exactly sure about this school. I have a good GPA and decent extracurricular activities, though I have a horrible MCAT score. See the problem is this, I am a senior at California State University East Bay, and am going to apply in the next cycle. I would love to go to medical school in California, however, I am terribly concerned about this school.
One of the issues is that, I can't seem to find the address to this school, and most of the friends I have talked to say, that there is only a branch in California, and I will have to go to New York (supposedly where the main branch is located). This has me a bit concerned, can somebody let me know, what the exact address is for this medical school. Also, if somebody has been to this school, could please share with me their input on this school.

This is one of the few medical schools in California, I am not exactly sure about this school. I have a good GPA and decent extracurricular activities, though I have a horrible MCAT score. See the problem is this, I am a senior at California State University East Bay, and am going to apply in the next cycle. I would love to go to medical school in California, however, I am terribly concerned about this school.
One of the issues is that, I can't seem to find the address to this school, and most of the friends I have talked to say, that there is only a branch in California, and I will have to go to New York (supposedly where the main branch is located). This has me a bit concerned, can somebody let me know, what the exact address is for this medical school. Also, if somebody has been to this school, could please share with me their input on this school.
The address is 1310 Club Drive Vallejo, CA 94592. I think the school's addmission office is somewhat rude at times but when you enter your prospective school the faculty are professional. I graduated from East Bay in 08 and wanted to stay in CA for medical school too. I didn't have a super great MCAT niether, but I was able to write a super good personal statement and highlight my good GPA and qualities to show I would be a great osteopath...and I got in for next fall.

As for the school locations there are three medical schools associated with Touro. 1) Vallejo 2) Las Vegas 3) New York. Each is ran and operated differently as far as admission requirements, interviews, etc

The address is 1310 Club Drive Vallejo, CA 94592. I think the school's addmission office is somewhat rude at times but when you enter your prospective school the faculty are professional. I graduated from East Bay in 08 and wanted to stay in CA for medical school too. I didn't have a super great MCAT niether, but I was able to write a super good personal statement and highlight my good GPA and qualities to show I would be a great osteopath...and I got in for next fall.

As for the school locations there are three medical schools associated with Touro. 1) Vallejo 2) Las Vegas 3) New York. Each is ran and operated differently as far as admission requirements, interviews, etc

So where did you apply, and where did you get in? Because I am a bit worried, that as a student, from CSUEB I cannot apply to all the colleges that I would like.

i guess i made the mistake of being a little too patient with waiting to hear back from this school. just got my secondary invite today after asking about my status.. although i was told that the email had been sent to me back in july.. =/ oopsies.

So where did you apply, and where did you get in? Because I am a bit worried, that as a student, from CSUEB I cannot apply to all the colleges that I would like.
You should not be affraid of not getting into a medical school because of where you went to school...you need to have the grades, the extra activites outside and inside of medical school and show a true drive to become a compassionate doctor. If you rock the MCATs and have the grades all you need is the personality and have the right fit the school. I only applied to 4 schools last year because I really wanted to attend Touro and not go through the hassle of moving too far. I applied to DO schools in AZ and Western in CA. Thats it...you only need one yes and that is what I got!

If anyone's interviewing on 10/03 and wants to split on a room, let me know because I just got a double at the Marriott. Preferably females haha

Members don't see this ad :)

I recommend you download the AACOM college information book (free pdf) for the addresses and websites of every DO program. TUCOM-CA is one of 2 DO programs in California, and there are 8 MD programs as well, so I wouldn't say you have a lack of options to stay in state. Your MCAT might be the limiting factor, so I recommend (to everyone) apply broadly!

As for TUCOM-CA, I'm a first-year and I absolutely love it. IMO, you can't beat the general location of Bay Area, although Vallejo doesn't have much going on. Most students either live on Mare Island (where the school is located) or in outlying communities like Benicia. Others live in Berkeley, Napa or Fairfield and commute. Location aside, the school is fantastic and has top-notch faculty, a beautiful and historic campus, and the nicest cadaver lab I've seen. There are decent opportunities for research, but the main focus here seems to be on primary care and a strong OMM component. Feel free to PM me if you have more questions, and good luck to y'all this cycle.

Hi there,

On the TUCOM supplemental, it asks for the population of our hometown. How did you interpret this? Are they interested in knowing the population of our present town or the one where we grew up?

Thanks!

I interpreted hometown as the one I grew up in so I'm pretty sure that's what I put in last year.

Why can't I find the residency match list for the class of 2010? Anyone have a link??

I'm sitting in the hotel right now. It's full of hippies and everything smells like weed. Maybe if I was in High school I'd be happy but it's pretty obnoxious...Apparently it's earth dance festival 2011 and the hotel is playing host. awesome.

O and the transportation from the airport overshot our hotel by like 30 miles and then blamed us for not saying anything. Yeah my fault for assuming they automatically stop at a location that is listed on their route. They "comped" us for a ride back to the hotel but made us wait an hour at their hub. Needless to say after traveling for seven hours this is not exactly what I was looking forward to.

Does anyone know where we can get info regarding how their clinical rotations are set up? In case we want to specialize, how many elective rotations do we get 3rd and 4th year? I've been browsing the website and haven't been able to find much. Thanks in advance!

Did it take a while for you guys to receive the secondary?

I'm sitting in the hotel right now. It's full of hippies and everything smells like weed. Maybe if I was in High school I'd be happy but it's pretty obnoxious...Apparently it's earth dance festival 2011 and the hotel is playing host. awesome.

O and the transportation from the airport overshot our hotel by like 30 miles and then blamed us for not saying anything. Yeah my fault for assuming they automatically stop at a location that is listed on their route. They "comped" us for a ride back to the hotel but made us wait an hour at their hub. Needless to say after traveling for seven hours this is not exactly what I was looking forward to.

I felt the same exact way. I was parking my rental car and thinking "you have GOT to be kidding me...." It reeks in the hallways, and someone belched so loud in the hallway that my entire neighboring room let out in a cheer. I really hope it isn't this way all night....good thing I'm a deep sleeper.

I felt the same exact way. I was parking my rental car and thinking "you have GOT to be kidding me...." It reeks in the hallways, and someone belched so loud in the hallway that my entire neighboring room let out in a cheer. I really hope it isn't this way all night....good thing I'm a deep sleeper.

Get used to it because it is.

When does the committee meet to give out secondaries?

I have an interview lined up for Halloween. So excited!! I really want to love this school. My only concern so far is that there seems to have been some trouble with matches in the recent past. As a matter of fact, I was interviewing at WU/COMP last week and one of the students from San Fran said that he was accepted to both schools, really wanted to stay in the bay area, but ultimately chose WU/COMP because of TUCOM's match reputation.

Can anyone out there shed more light on this? I don't want to be at a professional disadvantage for choosing this school.

How were the interviews today?? I have mine next tues, so I'mr realllly curious to see how they went :)

for everyone that interviewed today---

congratulations and I wish you guys all make it!

what questions were asked?

what advice could you offer to prepare- is there anything you wish you could have practiced more??

my interview is coming up and I am wondering how much practice is a good amount...

thanks!

for everyone that interviewed today---

congratulations and I wish you guys all make it!

what questions were asked?

what advice could you offer to prepare- is there anything you wish you could have practiced more??

my interview is coming up and I am wondering how much practice is a good amount...

thanks!

I feel that they went well but we'll have to wait and see. The key is definitely to be yourself and relax! Questions will be about your file and you so its your story, you can't mess it up. Prepare by being relaxed. Good luck to you and anyone else interviewing.

Was it group or individual interviews?

group interview- you are split into two groups of 5-6 people. Then you are interviewed by a panel of 3 for one hour.

good luck to you!

p.s. it was nice to meet you all yesterday- it was a good group- hoping we all get a happy email in two weeks.

group interview- you are split into two groups of 5-6 people. Then you are interviewed by a panel of 3 for one hour.

good luck to you!

p.s. it was nice to meet you all yesterday- it was a good group- hoping we all get a happy email in two weeks.

Thank you!

hi, so i finished filling out the sec app, already sent the lor through mail, but when i click the link to pay the sec app fee, it says it says the link is incorrect. i emailed them about this already, and still now answer,,,
should i just send the sec app fee throught maiL? i want to send it asap but i don't know what to do,,, help :(

I have an interview lined up for Halloween. So excited!! I really want to love this school. My only concern so far is that there seems to have been some trouble with matches in the recent past. As a matter of fact, I was interviewing at WU/COMP last week and one of the students from San Fran said that he was accepted to both schools, really wanted to stay in the bay area, but ultimately chose WU/COMP because of TUCOM's match reputation.

Can anyone out there shed more light on this? I don't want to be at a professional disadvantage for choosing this school.

So I was a stand-by for this year's class and went to orientation. They mentioned that by the time the class of 2016 has to do rotations that 95% of all available rotations will be in california. They have worked really hard with local and other hospitals and clinics throughout the state for rotations. I was relieved to hear that because I have kids and need to stay in the Bay or Sac area.

hi, so i finished filling out the sec app, already sent the lor through mail, but when i click the link to pay the sec app fee, it says it says the link is incorrect. i emailed them about this already, and still now answer,,,
should i just send the sec app fee throught maiL? i want to send it asap but i don't know what to do,,, help :(
My best guess would be to call admissions at (888) 880-7336 inside California or (888) 887-7336 outside of California to figure it out.

So I'm staying at the Courtyard by Marriot Monday 10/3 to interview 10/4. Anyone else? PM me if you want to meet up!

If anyone else wants to join the group dinner on Monday Oct 3, PM me!

I'm getting so nervous about my interview on Monday Oct 3rd!!! Any advice from those who've already interviewed?

So I was a stand-by for this year's class and went to orientation. They mentioned that by the time the class of 2016 has to do rotations that 95% of all available rotations will be in california. They have worked really hard with local and other hospitals and clinics throughout the state for rotations. I was relieved to hear that because I have kids and need to stay in the Bay or Sac area.

Ahh, thanks so much for the information. This is encouraging.

I'm getting so nervous about my interview on Monday Oct 3rd!!! Any advice from those who've already interviewed?

Be relaxed and poised. I thought the interview was pretty stressful, but I wasn't happy with how things played out in the first place. There were five students, and 2 of them got 6 or 7 questions each, while the rest of us were lucky if we got 2. Then when we finally got a chance to ask questions, they took two questions (from the people that they had spoken the most to) and then cut the interview short.

As for questions: it's open file, so be able to explain ANY and ALL red flags you've got. They asked specific questions about GPAs, MCATs, specific grades in specific classes, etc. For the most part, one of the interviewers was asking about grades/classes/etc, one about our personal statements, and then the other was very focused on "why osteopathic?" so definitely know why you're down for the osteopathic way of life. Also, know "why TUCOM-CA, why medicine, why osteo, why cali" etc etc.

Hope that helps, and I hope you have a better experience than I did!

Hey, so TUCOM finally sent me a secondary but their link to pay by credit card is broken. Could someone please link me the proper link where I pay because I am already late submitting as it is.

Thanks.

Some basics. Girls, wear comfy shoes cause there will be some walking. Also, make sure you try to eat a solid breakfast cause I was getting ready to gnaw my own arm off before we ate. The butterflies don't make it easy for me to eat well but definitely try lol. It may be a good idea to come prepared with any questions you may have for the faculty since youll have thr opportunity to talk with a few becore the interview. During the interview you will have several eyes on you so don't get nervous and ramble. I think thats pretty easy to do with these types of interviews as well. Each interviewer takes turns asking everyone questions about their essays, experiences, etc. They have all taken the time to read the applications of all the interviewees in the group. Even though each question comes from a single interviewer, remember to talk to/make eye contact with all of them while answering because they are all listening. Ok theres my two cents. Best of luck to all of you and can't wait to see you next year!

Be relaxed and poised. I thought the interview was pretty stressful, but I wasn't happy with how things played out in the first place. There were five students, and 2 of them got 6 or 7 questions each, while the rest of us were lucky if we got 2. Then when we finally got a chance to ask questions, they took two questions (from the people that they had spoken the most to) and then cut the interview short.

Bummer! Not cool at all

Hey, so TUCOM finally sent me a secondary but their link to pay by credit card is broken. Could someone please link me the proper link where I pay because I am already late submitting as it is.

Thanks.

I tried to use the link late at night a while ago and it didn't work (right around the time you posted), but checked again the next day and it was fine.

As for questions: it's open file, so be able to explain ANY and ALL red flags you've got. They asked specific questions about GPAs, MCATs, specific grades in specific classes, etc. For the most part, one of the interviewers was asking about grades/classes/etc, one about our personal statements, and then the other was very focused on "why osteopathic?" so definitely know why you're down for the osteopathic way of life. Also, know "why TUCOM-CA, why medicine, why osteo, why cali" etc etc.

That seems so unfair!! Well, thanks for the info!

Hey WaffleDoc,

Did you interview last Monday (Sep 26th)? I did and was in the group of 5 ppl (not the group with 6).

I didn't think it seemed uneven in terms of how many questions they asked each of us but I'm trying to figure out if you and I were in the same room...

Good luck- we only have to wait one more week to hear back :)

Thanks.

I've been trying for a week and it still won't work for me. I emailed them about it but they haven't written me back...very aggravating :lame:

Hey WaffleDoc,

Did you interview last Monday (Sep 26th)? I did and was in the group of 5 ppl (not the group with 6).

I didn't think it seemed uneven in terms of how many questions they asked each of us but I'm trying to figure out if you and I were in the same room...

Good luck- we only have to wait one more week to hear back :)

I was actually on the 27th. And I heard that the other group who went the same day I did had a much fairer time of it. I think it was just how the dynamics of my group specifically turned out. Sucks, but what can ya do?

Good luck to you too! :)

Last edited: