Tufts 2021 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brownswissfanatic

University of Illinois C/O 2025
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I thought it was about time we got more of these school-specific-threads started! Who else is applying for Tufts?

Members don't see this ad.

OOS, first time applicant and hoping to enter their MPH program. Guess we're applying to pretty similar schools, I'm seeing you everywhere.

Reactions: 1 user
OOS, first time applicant and hoping to enter their MPH program. Guess we're applying to pretty similar schools, I'm seeing you everywhere.

lol yea it seems like it! I'm really interested in Tufts' International Veterinary Medicine program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys! I'm also applying to Tufts OOS. It's my number one choice. Nice to meet you guys, I have been seeing a lot of both of you.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone!!! I'm also interested in applying to Tufts. Definitely one of my two top choices. =) Also out of state!

Has anyone looked at the supplemental essay choices yet? I've started to try to brainstorm, but I have questions about the rules for the essays. I tried emailing Tufts Admissions for answers, but I haven't gotten a response yet. Yes, I know it is still early in the application cycle, but I'm trying to start much earlier with every part of the application cycle to make sure this cycle goes much smoother (and with hopefully-Inshallah-better results) than last time. Maybe one of y'all (or if any current students see this) will be able to answer my questions or direct me to someone who can.

1. Essay topic number 1 says: "If you could have dinner with any historical figure, who would it be? What would you hope to learn from the conversation?"
I was wondering if we are allowed to write about a man or woman found in the Bible. I know that many people don't view the Bible as true, but since I am a Seventh-day Adventist Christian, I believe the people in the Bible are historical figures.

2. Also, essay topic number 3 says: "For this question only, you may answer with either a 500 word essay or a video of two minutes or less: A.A. Milne once said,'The things that make me different are the things that make me.' Describe a time in your own life when your actions captured what makes you."
First of all, I was wondering if they would prefer the essay to just focus on one story or would it be fine to mention more than one related story/experience that both portray the same characteristics but in different ways.
Second, If I chose to do the video, are there any other rules and regulations to follow other than the time limit? Could I share the story however I wanted to on video? For example, could I share the story on video in poetry form?

That's awesome they let us send them a video. I'll probably go with the first one however. Gonna need a lot of time to ponder it however. Guess I should start now =)

That's awesome they let us send them a video. I'll probably go with the first one however. Gonna need a lot of time to ponder it however. Guess I should start now =)

Personally, I keep going back and forth between option 1 and 3. (I ruled out essay option 2 a long time ago because these other two got the ideas rolling much more). I'm brainstorming ideas for both options 1 and 3 at the moment, and then whichever essay option moves farther along/whichever essay option turns out better will be the one I use. The only problem is I'm stuck; my thoughts/ideas just keep going in circles. :arghh:

Just a tip on these essays: Tufts has kind of a quirky personality, so in my opinion, the essays should feel like creative writing. I think some people took them way too seriously and it ended up hurting them in the end. So just have fun with it :D.

I like the idea of thinking about an essay as creative writing since I also really love writing poetry. It helps to ease some of the stress off the essay! When I was brainstorming with my mom, she suggested I choose option 3 and write about my journey to become fluent in French and the challenges I had to overcome. Then to put it together in video format somehow (undecided at this moment) and by sharing it in poetry format.

does anyone know if tufts replaces grades of repeated courses or averages them? I cant seem to find it on their website, but before I call them figured to reach out to you all :)

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know if tufts replaces grades of repeated courses or averages them? I cant seem to find it on their website, but before I call them figured to reach out to you all :)
They average both grades

Yeah they'll eat that up. That sounds like a neat idea! Tufts puts a lot of emphasis on individuality, which I think is really great.

Is the video a video you can make of yourself talking/sharing your story?

Hmmm I'm not sure! I didn't do the video submission, but maybe you could post in the Tufts class of 2020 forum and see if anyone there did!

Yes, good idea! I was thinking of also calling the school to see what they prefer. I think doing a video would be perfect.

I did a video. It was me talking about something that makes me me.

Is the video a video you can make of yourself talking/sharing your story?

I emailed Tufts sometime last month and asked about the video. Basically the only warning they gave me was "do not make the viewers ask 'why was this not a written essay?'" Another words, they said they don't want a video where the applicant just sits in a room with a blank wall and reads their story.

Hi all!! Good luck this cycle!! If you have any questions about Tufts or admissions, please let me know on here in a tag or via PM. I was on the admissions committee as the student representative for 3 years and am happy to answer any questions you might have.

Hi all!! Good luck this cycle!! If you have any questions about Tufts or admissions, please let me know on here in a tag or via PM. I was on the admissions committee as the student representative for 3 years and am happy to answer any questions you might have.

Thanks so much!
I have some questions.
1. Compared to other schools, how heavily does Tufts weigh GRE scores, GPA (cumulative and science)?
2. I have heard that some schools focus mostly on academics and animal/vet experiences for deciding students for interviews, and then focus on the personal statement, extracurricular experiences, etc afterwards for final decisions. How does Tufts look at and analyze applicants best fit for the program? Does Tufts look at the whole picture of the individual or are interviews granted mostly on academics (GPAs and GRE scores)?

Hey guys! Just wanted to wish you good luck applying to tufts. If you guys need any help or questions let me know. I'm a current V'20 and last year I chose essay number three and wrote about how I once ate an eyeball and how I grew up as a first generation Afghan-American.

Video essay question: how much of the video actually has to have the camera on our face? I want to incorporate some other things into my video and the way I'm going about it will make it easier (and make the essay make more sense) if I have some scenes showing other things....

Thanks so much!
I have some questions.
1. Compared to other schools, how heavily does Tufts weigh GRE scores, GPA (cumulative and science)?
2. I have heard that some schools focus mostly on academics and animal/vet experiences for deciding students for interviews, and then focus on the personal statement, extracurricular experiences, etc afterwards for final decisions. How does Tufts look at and analyze applicants best fit for the program? Does Tufts look at the whole picture of the individual or are interviews granted mostly on academics (GPAs and GRE scores)?
1. They do play a role in your application obviously. Tufts does try to not let them play too large of a factor in your application. Since Tufts has moved to VMCAS, things have changed a bit (application pool is quite a bit larger).
2. Tufts is very much a whole picture place. They promote diversity and non-traditional students. Interviews tend to be conversational and laid-back. They've already seen you on paper and want to hear who you are as a human being, if you have thought about the profession in an honest and reasonable fashion.

Apologies for the delay. I never saw this quoted post.

1. They do play a role in your application obviously. Tufts does try to not let them play too large of a factor in your application. Since Tufts has moved to VMCAS, things have changed a bit (application pool is quite a bit larger).
2. Tufts is very much a whole picture place. They promote diversity and non-traditional students. Interviews tend to be conversational and laid-back. They've already seen you on paper and want to hear who you are as a human being, if you have thought about the profession in an honest and reasonable fashion.

Apologies for the delay. I never saw this quoted post.

I am going to send you a private message. Thank you very much for posting!

Video essay question: how much of the video actually has to have the camera on our face? I want to incorporate some other things into my video and the way I'm going about it will make it easier (and make the essay make more sense) if I have some scenes showing other things....
Wish I could help but this was not an option when I applied....

Hey guys, I was accepted for the c/o 2020 but am deferring for a year due to personal and family issues, so I will hopefully be seeing some of you next year! If you have any questions on the application or interview process please don't hesitate to contact me :) Good luck!!

Hey guys,
Im a V19 at Tufts now and just wanted to offer help if anyone has any questions for a current student. Good luck with apps guys!

Hey guys! I am applying to Tufts, and am very interested to hear which option you all are choosing for the second essay question on VMCAS. I am really really torn! Are there any past applicants or Tufts students who can give some insight on what they want? The first one is enticing, but the person I was leaning towards choosing is Temple Grandin. I cannot choose her though I am assuming since she has to do with animals! The other person I would choose instead is a musician who I hugely admire (since I myself am one), but don't know if this would be bad since it really is not vet related? What "historical" figure do they mean? I could choose one of hte other options as well to write about instead. Hmm.... I will copy and paste the questions here:

Essay

Please answer ONE of the following three questions. (500 words)

We are interested in learning more about you in realms outside of the animal world. Please answer one of the following questions without using an animal theme.

1. If you could have dinner with any historical figure, who would it be? What would you hope to learn from the conversation? (3000 characters max)

OR

2. Andy Warhol once said, "In the future, everyone will be famous for fifteen minutes." Describe your fifteen minutes. (3000 characters max)

OR

3. For this question only you may answer with either a 500 word essay or a video of two minutes or less. (3000 characters max)

A.A. Milne once said, "The things that make me different are the things that make me." Describe a time or experience in your own life when your actions captured what makes you.

If responding to the video option, "Video Essay" in the text box below. Once you have completed the video, upload your clip to YouTube. Please set the privacy setting to “unlisted” and be sure to include the URL link in the text box below. Title your clip in the “Last Name, First Name” format. Videos must be completed by the September 15 application deadline.

Thank you in advance for any help or advice!

Hey guys! I am applying to Tufts, and am very interested to hear which option you all are choosing for the second essay question on VMCAS. I am really really torn! Are there any past applicants or Tufts students who can give some insight on what they want? The first one is enticing, but the person I was leaning towards choosing is Temple Grandin. I cannot choose her though I am assuming since she has to do with animals! The other person I would choose instead is a musician who I hugely admire (since I myself am one), but don't know if this would be bad since it really is not vet related? What "historical" figure do they mean? I could choose one of hte other options as well to write about instead. Hmm.... I will copy and paste the questions here:

Essay

We are interested in learning more about you in realms outside of the animal world. Please answer one of the following questions without using an animal theme.

1. If you could have dinner with any historical figure, who would it be? What would you hope to learn from the conversation? (3000 characters max)

OR

2. Andy Warhol once said, "In the future, everyone will be famous for fifteen minutes." Describe your fifteen minutes. (3000 characters max)

OR

3. For this question only you may answer with either a 500 word essay or a video of two minutes or less. (3000 characters max)

A.A. Milne once said, "The things that make me different are the things that make me." Describe a time or experience in your own life when your actions captured what makes you.

If responding to the video option, "Video Essay" in the text box below. Once you have completed the video, upload your clip to YouTube. Please set the privacy setting to “unlisted” and be sure to include the URL link in the text box below. Title your clip in the “Last Name, First Name” format. Videos must be completed by the September 15 application deadline.

It certainly does not have to be vet related, they are just trying to get a sense of you as a person. I hear they also value creativity highly.

Essay

OR

OR

I'm pretty sure they specified not to make it vet related.

I spoke to an admissions counselor there when I was applying, and he told me not to even mention vet med.

I used to third option and talked about singing at my grandfather's funeral as a defining moment in my life. And he told me it was a great idea, and I asked if he thought it'd be good to conclude it with something like "and this has taught me blahblahblah about myself and will help me succeed in veterinary school" and he said that a lot of people do that, but they prefer that that aspect of the essay should speak for itself, like he should read your essay and understand that without you mentioning it. So anyway, don't mention vetmed at all. Show who you are outside of this :)

Thanks for your response! Right, and I understand that. I'm just trying to get ideas on who everyone wrote about or what option they chose!

I wrote about my childhood and how it left me with insecurities, but I decided to drop everything and go back to school anyways. It shows growth on my part, but completely goes against what @heyyimhayley just said soooo oops.

I'm pretty sure they specified not to make it vet related.

I spoke to an admissions counselor there when I was applying, and he told me not to even mention vet med.

I used to third option and talked about singing at my grandfather's funeral as a defining moment in my life. And he told me it was a great idea, and I asked if he thought it'd be good to conclude it with something like "and this has taught me blahblahblah about myself and will help me succeed in veterinary school" and he said that a lot of people do that, but they prefer that that aspect of the essay should speak for itself, like he should read your essay and understand that without you mentioning it. So anyway, don't mention vetmed at all. Show who you are outside of this :)

Got it, thank you so much!

I did the first essay and wrote about Rosalind Franklin (the woman who contributed to the discover of the double-helix structure of DNA). I talked about her in the context of my experience being a woman in a science field, how far women have come and how far we have yet to go. I also related it to my chemistry major and discussed my interest in that field

Last year when I was applying I met with Dr. Mark Pokras, the former wildlife vet at Tufts (now retired, maybe?). He used to be on the admissions committee so I definitely trust his advice. He said one year one of the best essays he got for the historical figure question was when someone wrote about their grandfather. So it doesn't necessarily have to be a famous/known person. Last year I wrote about my father, who died when I was younger, and got accepted. I think the main goal with that essay is to make is personal. Don't just list facts about the person that you're writing about. Think about what characteristics the "historical figure" has that you see in yourself. Think about what characteristics you have that you want the admissions committee to know about.

I did the first essay and wrote about Rosalind Franklin (the woman who contributed to the discover of the double-helix structure of DNA). I talked about her in the context of my experience being a woman in a science field, how far women have come and how far we have yet to go. I also related it to my chemistry major and discussed my interest in that field

Yes, I wrote about her in my genetics class. Thanks!

Last year when I was applying I met with Dr. Mark Pokras, the former wildlife vet at Tufts (now retired, maybe?). He used to be on the admissions committee so I definitely trust his advice. He said one year one of the best essays he got for the historical figure question was when someone wrote about their grandfather. So it doesn't necessarily have to be a famous/known person. Last year I wrote about my father, who died when I was younger, and got accepted. I think the main goal with that essay is to make is personal. Don't just list facts about the person that you're writing about. Think about what characteristics the "historical figure" has that you see in yourself. Think about what characteristics you have that you want the admissions committee to know about.

This is a great idea, so thank you for that! I had considered something like that actually, especially since my grandfather went to Tufts. I did not consider it a real idea I could use though because he's not a famous historical figure. Is there any chance it could go badly if I do write about him? Thank you for this!

Hi! I have been working on my essay for TUFTS and decided to go with option one. I have been turning it into a narrative story about me meeting the person at a diner and talking with them. For example I mentioned how I could not believe that they walked into the diner and sat with me and shook my hand. I saw an early post that said TUFTS loved creativity and was wondering if a story like essay would be okay or is it too much and I should just make it a regular essay? Thanks!

Just a fun fact that Ford, one the admissions guys (who I'm sure you'll all get to know), told me last year that the most common person that applicants (at least in that pool of applicants) chose to have dinner with in their essays was Walt Disney.

I wrote mine on one of the USSR's scientists responsible for sending dogs into space! :astronaut: I don't think played that much of a contributing factor to my admission to Tufts but it was really fun to write something a bit different!

Anyone know when the typical dates for interviews at Tufts are? Trying to plan ahead!

Anyone know when the typical dates for interviews at Tufts are? Trying to plan ahead!
Last year I think early decision interviews started in December. The normal round of interviews was weekdays in late January through early February.

Has anyone who has had their application verified gotten a link for the payment for the supplemental fee yet? Thanks!

Has anyone who has had their application verified gotten a link for the payment for the supplemental fee yet? Thanks!
Last year it didn't come until after September 15th.

Tufts states they will not send the link until after 9/15/16.

Hi guys! I'm also a current V20 who still has the interview process fresh in her mind so feel free to message me with any questions too! I'm oos and interested in just about every field of vetmed it seems right now. I know the open house was just yesterday and the one piece of advice I would give you guys is to write your name down wherever you go! admissions councils at every school gage applicant interest by looking at if they've come to programs or if they've communicated with the admissions department. Don't be shy!

Hi everyone! I'm a first time applicant OOS interested in Wildlife and Conservation Medicine. :hello: