Menu Icon Search
Close Search

About the ads

1. If you prefer the SDN Blue style, go to the bottom left of the page and select "SDN Blue"

Tufts c/o 2016 Applicants

Discussion in 'Pre-Veterinary' started by NStarz, 06.12.11.

1. Bisbee

Bisbee

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    It seems that Tufts takes a lot of OOS applicants (which I am). On the website there are some admission statistics for previous classes, but how many actual OOS students apply, and how many of those that apply are admitted (not necessarily attend). In other words, what are my actual chances of getting in? Does anyone know these statistics (besides the admissions office who may prefer to keep it a secret)? Also, if granted an interview, what percent of interviewed applicants are accepted? Thanks in advance for any information anyone might have.
  2. orca2011

orca2011 PennWe c/o 2016!!! Gold Donor

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I feel like I saw this information when I attended my interview but I don't think I have any papers with that information. And I don't know the % of people who get accepted that interview. I know I was wait listed and that's about it. If I come across any papers I'll let you know though.
  3. canis13

canis13 Tufts V'15

Veterinary Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    I was told before I applied last year that approximately 700 people apply each year, and of those, about 150 are from Massachusetts.
    I don't know if the 150 number (of Mass residents) was the same for our class, but the number of overall applications our year is similar (702). Our class is now 97 (originally started with 101), and 30 are Mass residents. This is a similar ratio for V'14 class, but the V'13 and V'12 classes have a much higher percentage of Mass residents - my guess is that they are giving less preference to in-state applicants because Massachusetts cut state funding to the vet school.

If you want to see more numbers, they have admissions statistics profiles for V'12 through V'15 at the bottom of this page:
    http://www.tufts.edu/vet/admissions/student_profiles/

Not sure about the numbers for your other questions...I want to say that they give like 200 interviews, but I may be off. But I wouldn't hesitate to ask the people in admissions if you really want to know.
  4. Bisbee

Bisbee

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Thanks for the information. I don't want to obsess about it, but I like having a rough idea of how competitive it will be. From what you've said it does sound pretty competitive for OOS applicants. First I'll just hope to get an interview and go from there!
  5. Minnerbelle

Minnerbelle Moderator Emeritus

Veterinary Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    I think what canis said sounds about right from when I applied for the V'14 class. And in general, I think it's pretty typical for schools to interview 2-3x the number of seats they have to offer (so the odds of getting in is a bit higher than that considering not everyone accepts their offered seat).
  6. BlackDog618

BlackDog618 Tufts c/o 2016!

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    No power and my essays are stored on my computer... Ahhh. Any chance a state of emergency might cause tufts to extend the deadline?
  7. Bisbee

Bisbee

SDN 2+ Year Member
    I bet it will. Someone said they extended it last year for far less reason.
  8. marshmallow12

marshmallow12

Pre-Veterinary
    I have a quick question. So I am a veterinarian assistant right now, and the experience section asks for an end date. What should I put in there?
  9. Minnerbelle

Minnerbelle Moderator Emeritus

Veterinary Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Yep, and they extended it the year before too. Plus, I hear Tufts campus is out of power and running on a generator anyway...
  10. kaydubs

kaydubs SDN Gold Donor Gold Donor

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Put present if you can or 2011 or something. Just a thought.
  11. canis13

canis13 Tufts V'15

Veterinary Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Yeah, the generators are having issues, and apparently even the hospital ran out of power at one point today. Our anatomy exam which was supposed to be tomorrow is being rescheduled for Thursday, and apparently they like never reschedule anatomy exams. Soo, I am guessing there's a very very good chance that they will extend the deadline.

No power at our house, and we're almost out of water, so we're drinking the only thing left...beer! May have to start peeing outside tomorrow, though...
  12. justcallm3jo

justcallm3jo

Pre-Veterinary
    I just submitted my application...... last minute I know... but I am sure glad it's overrrrr
  13. sunnex3

sunnex3 PennWe c/o 2016!

Veterinary Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    when will they announce whether they are extending the deadline or not? some places in va were out of power over the weekend as well! crazy october weather.
  14. jackiemew

jackiemew

Pre-Veterinary
    Hey!! for those who were affected by the snowstorm, i just called that and the lady said they might extend the deadline by 11/02 9AM at least and give more time till end of week to people without electricity. she's making the list of people who called saying that they have problem. she was so nice and understanding:) she just made my day!
  15. kaydubs

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Cease the panic about deadline extensions:

The November 1 deadline to apply to Tufts University Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine is almost here! Although we know that many of you are hard at work completing your application, we also realize that many of you have no power due to the weekend’s East coast storm. Because of this, we will extend the application deadline so that you are all able to submit your application once your power is restored. We will accept applications until Thursday, November 3, at 9 am EST. If you still do not have power by then, please let us know.
    Our mailing address for transcripts and other supporting documents is:

Office of Admissions
    Tufts University
    Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine
    200 Westboro Road
    North Grafton, MA 01536
    We will accept supporting materials postmarked by November 3.
    Sometime in mid-November, you will be able to track the status of your application using our electronic application management system. We will notify you when the system is available. Please be patient! It will be a few weeks before we can update all applicants' records with what has been received in our office, i.e., transcripts and letters of evaluation.

-You're welcome, SDN <3
  16. TigerWillow

TigerWillow UC Davis Class of 2016!!!

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Is that the deadline for everyone? or just people affected by the snowstorms?
  17. marshmallow12

marshmallow12

Pre-Veterinary
    It is for everyone :)
  18. TigerWillow

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Hazahh! I finished everything, but wanted to give it the special treatment. Hopefully everyone is safe on the East Coast (I live in Cali), and have a great Halloween!:love::woot:
  19. Bisbee

Bisbee

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Yes. I got the email from admissions, too. It said, "Although we have already received your application......" so I guess it's for everyone regardless of whether or not you have lost power. Hurry up and good luck!
  20. LoveTheMICES

LoveTheMICES Ross c/o 2016. Blessed!

Veterinary Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
  21. Whyevernot55

Whyevernot55 OKSU 2016!

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I got the email like, 2 hours after I submitted.

I got up this morning, wrote the entire "creative" essay, edited it, slammed the whole thing together with a final overall edit, and just pressed the button. Out of my hands!
  22. TigerWillow

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Sent at 10 AM PST!!! super stoked :D
  23. zoovet

zoovet c/o 2016

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Hey guys,
    What did you do if you had nothing really to say for short answers 1 & 2. I've only really been employed in animal related jobs (I'm considering research in this bunch), and I have been continuously employed or in schoool.... errrrr...
  24. TigerWillow

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I had a lot of jobs, so can't help you there. But I did say "I was employed and in school since 2006 without breaks." So just a sentence should suffice.
  25. justcallm3jo

justcallm3jo

Pre-Veterinary
    I actually called the admin office about short answer 2 (the one about what did you do in your break if you weren't employed or in school) . They said it was not necessary to upload a document saying the question isn't applicable to you. If the document is missing, they assume it wasn't applicable. Hope that answers your question!

:):)
  26. LoveTheMICES

Veterinary Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    In the last section you can basically upload whatever you want. Personal statement, withdrawal excuses, extracurriculars explained, anything. I talked with Patty today.
  27. orca2011

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Hmm. Now I'm wondering if I should have uploaded my VMCAS PS. I didn't do it last year, so I chose to not do it again this year, but I'm starting to have some doubts. =/
  28. gina85

gina85

Pre-Veterinary
    I'm also thinking about uploading my personal statement...I have some extensions of other sections to upload in that space as well, but I really like my PS and kind of want to include it.

If anybody has done this in the past, did you just upload it? Or did you comment on it, like "here's an extra essay that I like" kind of thing?
  29. Bisbee

Bisbee

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Orca-I didn't upload my VMCAS PS statement either. I had other things that needed to go in that space. I think that with all the other essays they wanted for Tufts, they will have plenty to read about each applicant. In fact, I was told by Patty that they "prefer" only the three LORs because the admissions committee doesn't want to have to read redundant information. I had 4 LORs, but only did so because they all provided very different information. So, putting another essay in there might be redundant. I'm actually glad that I didn't put in my VMCAS PS personally.
  30. orca2011

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    That was kind of my thought process with the whoel thing last year. I did send four LORs last year though because I accidentally entered my boss in, who technically teaches a course, but doesn't teach one for bio majors, so she couldn't really count as an academic reference. They were really nice about it and just told me to have my new academic reference submit his letter by mail and they didn't even care if it was late since it was coming from the UK.
  31. BlackDog618

BlackDog618 Tufts c/o 2016!

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Power is back on and application was just submitted!
    And now we play the waiting game...
  32. kaydubs

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Go hardcore, gang! Yahoo!!! :thumbup::luck::luck::thumbup:
  33. Bisbee

Bisbee

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Wow! With all the interview invites coming in on the interview thread, I'm on pins and needles about hearing from Tufts. I know they don't do all their interviews before the holidays, though, so I should probably just calm down, huh? Kaydubs, it must feel good knowing you already have your place in the class of 2016, but I'm sure you know what we're all going through since you went through it last year. I know that the admissions office will soon have a page where we can track and make sure all our materials have been received, so I guess we really won't hear a thing about interviews until after that happens anyway. I will be in Massachusetts for a cluster of dog shows over Thanksgiving, so I am going to take a detour and drive through the beautiful vet school campus just to see it again and get my hopes up for the future. Good luck to everyone who has applied. I hope we get to meet at interviews and then eventually as classmates.
  34. sunnex3

sunnex3 PennWe c/o 2016!

Veterinary Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    exactly how strict are they about the 500 word limit? is it like college where it had to just be "approximately" 500 and going a little over was OK, or does it definitely 100% have to be 500 words or less?

thanks! good luck everyone :)
  35. Bisbee

Bisbee

SDN 2+ Year Member
    I do not know how strict they are (you could email Patty and ask), but I'll tell you that I did stay under the 500 word limit. You can chop where needed. I always start with such a long essay thinking I'll never be able to get it down to where it needs to be, but it's amazing the redundancy and extra verbage that can be found when reading it over. Good luck!
  36. gina85

gina85

Pre-Veterinary
    Since it just said 500 words, I took it as an approximation. In the UGA supplemental, they made it clear that it was NOT to be over 500 words, but I felt like Tufts was more of an approximation. My one short answer was 50 words over the limit, and one of my essays was 600 words. I tried to cut it down, but the story itself was a little bit long.

Hopefully they aren't strict about it :(
  37. sunnex3

sunnex3 PennWe c/o 2016!

Veterinary Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    i guess it doesn't hurt to keep to the 500 word limit...i think both of mine are going to be exactly 500 -- and i'll finally be submitting tonight before sleeping! way to be last minute huh? :rolleyes:
  38. gina85

gina85

Pre-Veterinary
    haha I only just submitted mine, and my VMCAS was the day before it was due, too. i figured procrastination has worked for me well until now, why change anything??
  39. ponio

ponio

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I actually called and asked about this and Patty said it was more of a guideline and that they will not actually count the number of words :)
  40. sunnex3

sunnex3 PennWe c/o 2016!

Veterinary Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    just a note...patty has been phenomenal throughout this entire process -- she is SO helpful and nice! :thumbup:
  41. LoveTheMICES

Veterinary Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Ditto about Patty. She's amazing. What is this "overflow" people are putting in the additional section?
  42. sunnex3

sunnex3 PennWe c/o 2016!

Veterinary Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    i'm using it to a) list the info for my 4th LOR writer, b) expand upon my extracurricular activities, add some more awards/ECs, and c) possibly (not sure yet) add some essays that i wrote for CSU (very short ones that show a different aspect about me).

did anyone else ask patty about the word limit? i'm debating whether to go over or not (currently both are exactly 500) if i don't hear back from her today (i emailed her a few hours ago).
  43. Fireflysushi

Fireflysushi CSU c/o 2016!

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    So I work with a vet who is writing a letter of recommendation for a friend of mine who is applying to Tufts this year. I remembered hearing that the Tufts apps were due on the 1st of Nov and told the vet that today. She flipped out because she missed the date, but thanks to this forum I was able to figure out the extended deadline. She left work early tonight to finish it. Any who I just wanted to say that this forum saved my friend's application!! Yay for SDN!
  44. LoveTheMICES

Veterinary Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Yay for sdn!!!!
  45. zoovet

zoovet c/o 2016

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    So, I have had severe writer's block and just started to upload my essays. Did anyone have an issue with Previewing their essays on the app? On the preview page, I keep seeing my text as just white, making the page appear blank. Help!
  46. orca2011

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Wow...I really feel like I should have included stuff like that. At least the extra awards and info about my extra curricular activities. Too late now though.
  47. TigerWillow

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Ditto, Orca.
  48. ponio

ponio

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I wouldn't worry about it...If they thought all that was necessary they would have asked for it. I didn't include anything in the additional info section last time I applied and I was waitlisted (not an acceptance I know, but I doubt that was what kept me from getting in).
  49. kegra

kegra

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    FINALLY SUBMITTED! SO grateful for the extension, my brother went into the icu on Saturday and has been in the hospital since then. My final edits took about 10 times longer than they should have!
  50. orca2011

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Same for me actually. I am curious if it would have helped a little. Probably not, since a lot of my awards are from high school. Haha.

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal