Tufts c/o 2016 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That cost is steep. Truthfully, I might have been better off at my IS financially...but I liked Tufts better. It was that or trek across the country...and I wasn't willing to re-locate like that...:(

Do I regret my choice with Tufts? Not in the least.

bksambo, sounds like your interview is pretty spot-on impression wise. I don't disagree with anything you said. ;)

With vet school, it really does come down to where you can be for the next segment of your life. Happy travels, everyone! Enjoy the holidays as we (I) eagerly await the big wave of admissions decisions. Best of luck to all involved! :biglove:

Members don't see this ad.

bksambo - Thanks for your report on Tufts. It sounds like you had a great experience there for sure. I guess the only drawback you noted was the huge price tag. I am trying not to think of that part (though if I get an interview I'll have to start thinking of that part). Glad all went well for you and hope you get good news from them soon (even if you choose to go elsewhere).

Sorry that the financial bit sounded too negative. It was just that I really, really like the school and the programs and was so bummed at the price tag. I mean, I saw the tuition breakdown and everything on the website, but the information presented in the financial aid session was (to their credit) very explicit and honest. For instance, the average debt was given as being something like $145k. This confused me a bit since it sounded like there wasn't much money available, but clearly with a $63k/year budget, people are getting money from somewhere. I guess lots of lucky people have outside help available or something. In any event, Given a debt load of $145k, they broke out the expected payment. 10 years - $1,700/month, 20 years - $1,300 (or so) a month, and 30 years would be about $900/month. And if you finance the whole thing, that comes out to around $3,000/month (I think on the 10 year plan, but I'm not sure). So those are sobering statistics. There was a bit of discussion about income based repayment, which seems like it could make things feasible, but there's no denying it's something that will be with you for a long time. But there's no doubt that the place is ridiculously amazing, and I definitely see why people love the place. If I'm lucky enough to be accepted, I'll definitely go through the fin aid process to see how things shake out, but eek, eek, eek at the price tag.

Did I mention how incredible everyone was? Stepford nice, but without the creepiness.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't feel you were being too negative. It really is sobering to think about the money and the repayment plans they laid out for you. I appreciate your posting this information, as I'm sure others do. I agree with you, though, that you should wait to find out what your financial package is before you make the decision. You have lots of time before the April decision deadline, so you might as well use it to think about things.

Sorry that the financial bit sounded too negative. It was just that I really, really like the school and the programs and was so bummed at the price tag. I mean, I saw the tuition breakdown and everything on the website, but the information presented in the financial aid session was (to their credit) very explicit and honest. For instance, the average debt was given as being something like $145k. This confused me a bit since it sounded like there wasn't much money available, but clearly with a $63k/year budget, people are getting money from somewhere. I guess lots of lucky people have outside help available or something. In any event, Given a debt load of $145k, they broke out the expected payment. 10 years - $1,700/month, 20 years - $1,300 (or so) a month, and 30 years would be about $900/month. And if you finance the whole thing, that comes out to around $3,000/month (I think on the 10 year plan, but I'm not sure). So those are sobering statistics. There was a bit of discussion about income based repayment, which seems like it could make things feasible, but there's no denying it's something that will be with you for a long time. But there's no doubt that the place is ridiculously amazing, and I definitely see why people love the place. If I'm lucky enough to be accepted, I'll definitely go through the fin aid process to see how things shake out, but eek, eek, eek at the price tag.

Did I mention how incredible everyone was? Stepford nice, but without the creepiness.

Hey, bk. If you want to message me about questions regarding my personal experience with acceptance last year, let me know. I'll give you deets about financial aid offer that I got. And, a piece of advice from a vet who graduated from my undergrad and went to Penn. He's in his late 60's and his advice to me: "When you graduate, they can't take away your degree. Not matter how much you owe. If you're willing to work hard, you'll pay it back." That was the last push I needed to come back to the field.

PS They really ARE that nice. I couldn't go anywhere else to get that kind of treatment. It's....a really beautiful quality, I'd say.

I just had a question--approximately how many people interviewed on 12/16?

Are there any Tufts applicants out there who haven't heard anything yet??? My status still hasn't changed and I haven't gotten an email or snail mail yet. Just curious.

Good luck to those who have already interviewed though! :luck:

besides logging onto the same site for the supplemental app....where do you go to check your status? is there something I'm missing here? tracking page? help a sista out :oops:)

ARC - Yes...still waiting to hear also. There has only been one interview date with 50 interviewees thus far. The rest will be done in February. If we are being interviewed we will hear in January. There's still lots of hope here!

Lolobend - Yes...there is a tracking page. We got emails with our login password weeks ago. I think if you don't have this you should email Patty at the admissions office to find out what's cookin'.

thank you bisbee! I about had a heart attack when I found it in my freaking spam! I have 2 courses in progress at rutgers this fall..and so it lists that transcript as missing..do you think thats aproblem?

ARC - Yes...still waiting to hear also. There has only been one interview date with 50 interviewees thus far. The rest will be done in February. If we are being interviewed we will hear in January. There's still lots of hope here!

And if we are being interviewed, we will be hearing via snail mail, correct?

Members don't see this ad :)
And if we are being interviewed, we will be hearing via snail mail, correct?

That is how it was done last year. A hint: January 6th is when heck broke loose in 2011. Can't know how 2012 will be but....give it a week into the new year before you even THINK of panicking:)

Last year, everything was all sent out together - waitlist, rejections and invites. Keep it :cool: and feel free to freak out as often as you like. I'll try my best with damage control when I can.:luck::xf::luck:

thank you bisbee! I about had a heart attack when I found it in my freaking spam! I have 2 courses in progress at rutgers this fall..and so it lists that transcript as missing..do you think thats aproblem?

in response, I'd give admissions a quick call or email. They are incredibly helpful and approachable. Call is more convenient cause they respond quicker. But if you aren't TOO anxious already, email works too!!! :)

Thanks Bisbee! Just making sure I wasn't the only one!

I agree with Kaydubs to call admissions tomorrow morning and explain that you thought you never heard anything until another applicant told you, and you then found it in spam. Since the bulk of the invitations won't go out for a couple of weeks, I think they'll be understanding about the late transcript. And yes...we will hear via snail mail for the February interviews (unlike the people who interviewed in December who got an email invite). Let's keep those fingers crossed!

Interview feedback done.
Good luck to all!

Just got my acceptance letter. And wouldn't you know it, to continue on the theme of these guys being the nicest people in the world, there were handwritten notes on the letter from my two interviewers with specific comments related to our interview and saying that they hope to see me in the fall. Jeebus, these guys are so freakin' pleasant. Feeling the Tufts love right now.

Just got my acceptance letter. And wouldn't you know it, to continue on the theme of these guys being the nicest people in the world, there were handwritten notes on the letter from my two interviewers with specific comments related to our interview and saying that they hope to see me in the fall. Jeebus, these guys are so freakin' pleasant. Feeling the Tufts love right now.

i got my letter signed at the bottom too :)

i have a hard decision to make come spring...i'm really feeling the tufts love too, loved the various info sessions they had on friday and the interview was pleasant, just everyone was pleasant. patty even remembered me from our emails back and forth. i just loved how student oriented their program sounds

CONSIDER TUFTS! The programs are awesome. The cost is slightly unbearable..... but you get to be classmates (and friends:D) with me!

...............I'll even make you a cookie.:idea:

All kidding aside, there's something magical and special about Tufts. Hence why I will jump through the necessary hoops to start classes in the fall. WHOOP WHOOP - bring in the acceptances, kids:cool:

i got my letter signed at the bottom too :)

i have a hard decision to make come spring...i'm really feeling the tufts love too, loved the various info sessions they had on friday and the interview was pleasant, just everyone was pleasant. patty even remembered me from our emails back and forth. i just loved how student oriented their program sounds

CONSIDER TUFTS! The programs are awesome. The cost is slightly unbearable..... but you get to be classmates (and friends:D) with me!

...............I'll even make you a cookie.:idea:

All kidding aside, there's something magical and special about Tufts. Hence why I will jump through the necessary hoops to start classes in the fall. WHOOP WHOOP - bring in the acceptances, kids:cool:

And remember, OOS tuition for Colorado is pretty awful too. Tuition and fees for Colorado for OOS: $53,179. Tuition and fees for Tufts for OOS: $42,640. (yes I made a spreadsheet of all the schools I applied to!)

EDIT: That was directed towards Sunnex!

And remember, OOS tuition for Colorado is pretty awful too. Tuition and fees for Colorado for OOS: $53,179. Tuition and fees for Tufts for OOS: $42,640. (yes I made a spreadsheet of all the schools I applied to!)

EDIT: That was directed towards Sunnex!

True that. And I always thought cost of living would be more expensive at Tufts, but not so. Fort Collins and Grafton area are pretty comparable.

The question is, which do you like better: mountains or forests? :rolleyes:
CO does have MUCH nicer weather though. Really helps if you have seasonable affect.

I know some OOSers got invites today. I haven't heard anything yet. Hope to join everyone at Tufts soon!

For anyone who has heard back about February interviews, did they also update your tracking page in some way? I think my mail is getting sent to my school and I won't be back for a few days.

Hi Guys!
Anyone else list their school address as their mailing address and is stuck at home till the 16th? lol I know i'm waiting for a rejection (tanked the math GRE and I kinda threw my hat in the ring as a practice run) but I'm driving everyone here crazy perseverating on the possibility of closure. Soooo I decided i'd give my family and friends at home a break and bug you guys :oops: Good luck to everyone waiting I'm sure you'll all be headed to Grafton soon don't worry! :thumbup:

Ayeayes - I'm sure that if the rest of your application is great they wouldn't reject you just for a little lower on the math GRE. The numbers they give are just averages. Hang in there and think positively! I hope you get an interview soon.

For anyone who has heard back about February interviews, did they also update your tracking page in some way? I think my mail is getting sent to my school and I won't be back for a few days.

My status hasn't changed. I don't think anything will change until they make the actual admissions decisions. Last year all decisions regarding interviews were sent out and then in the middle of February they changed the statuses. Good luck everyone I hope you get good news this coming week!

Didn't hear anything today either. Hoping to hear early next week so I can use my voucher from my flight last year to Boston before it expires. Really don't want that money to go to waste.

I AM BOUNCING OFF THE WALLS. got an OOS invite today. i haven't been this excited about anything in so long!!!!
:oops:
good luck everyone!

Hi All,

I'm OOS from NY and just got an invite! Congrats to all those who got one too, and hang in there to those who haven't gotten it yet.

WARNING: The letter comes in a thin envelope. Don't freak out until you've read it.

Anyone know if there is any significance to which interview date you were given?

Anyone know if there is any significance to which interview date you were given?

As far as I know, I don't really think so. I had to reschedule my interview last year from like Feb 3rd to the 8th due to the weather and I still ended up on the wait list. Since they don't start notifying the people who interviewed in February of acceptances until after everyone does their interview, I don't think the date really matters all that much.

hey so naive question.... how serious are they when they say "We encourage you to invite your parents, spouse or significant other to come along with you," in the invitation?

hey so naive question.... how serious are they when they say "We encourage you to invite your parents, spouse or significant other to come along with you," in the invitation?

very serious. almost everyone at my interview had a parent(s), spouse, boyfriend, etc. with them. i had my mom with me, and i have to tell you, it was SO much better having someone there to help calm your nerves. she wasn't allowed int he actual interview (obviously) but she went to the financial aid info session while i was interviewing and then we went on the tour and the other various sessions they had together.

Not naive. In response: YES! They actually are a very close-knit school. I brought my parents. Others brought parents, relatives, significant others.....yah, they really truly mean it:D

NOTE: I am actually a 2016 now. That is all.

Holy crap! My mom texted me that I got a letter from Tufts! And where am I???? STILL at work. UGHHHHHHHH!!!

I got a letter saying that, I wasn't initiallly selected for an interview but they were impressed with my application and want to still consider my candidacy by placing my application on hold. Did anyone else get such a letter?
What are the odds of actually scoring an interview? Or is this pretty much a way of letting me down easy?

Holy crap! My mom texted me that I got a letter from Tufts! And where am I???? STILL at work. UGHHHHHHHH!!!

TigerWillow - don't keep us in suspense!!!

I got a letter saying that, I wasn't initiallly selected for an interview but they were impressed with my application and want to still consider my candidacy by placing my application on hold. Did anyone else get such a letter?
What are the odds of actually scoring an interview? Or is this pretty much a way of letting me down easy?

I could say that it's not an easy letdown. But, people have to refuse their interviews to open a spot up to you. don't lose hope just yet!!

Crap. Maybe I ALSO have an application on hold. I'm not outta here until an hour from now

Very much so. The way they set the whole day up is more like an open house (it's not formal and stuffy like a lot of other interviews), where there's a ton of different activities going on all throughout the day. You kind of choose which ones you want to go to and leave whenever you want to. The only thing set into stone is your interview time and place. As long as you go to that alone and strong, it really doesn't matter who you bring. There were probably more non-applicants than applicants present on the day I went. The atmosphere was more of a enjoy with your family one rather than a mingle with other applicants one

Can any current students tell me if there are any options for electives at Tufts? I've seen what is online about selectives and aces program but it looks like other than that one afternoon a week your schedule is completely dictated the whole way through? Also my understanding is that clinical rotations don't start until the summer after your 3rd year. Is that correct?

Hoping you get some good news tomorrow, Orca!

cRAPCRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP

I got this letter too. Life Sucks