Tufts c/o 2016 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats tigerwillow! We interview on the same day, and I'm also from California :) perhaps I'll see you there!

Ooooo that's awesome!! Which part of Cali?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally the bay area, but currently way northern Cali. You?

Members don't see this ad :)
TigerWillow: CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so excited for you!! :hardy::soexcited::highfive::banana::luck:

Best of luck to ya'll!!!! I can't wait to get this party started!:thumbup: I'm so happy for everyone getting called off the waitlist :D. Best of luck to all you interviewees!! I am thinking happy thoughts to you :biglove:

[.......due to some unforeseen circumstances (well, I should've seen this coming. my luck is pretty non-existent :laugh:) I will NOT be going to Tufts as hoped......] I wish I was but....yeah, I gotta stay at work SOMETIMES :rolleyes:

Did everyone else get the DVM-MPH email today? Trying not to read too much into this, but it made me happy that they are thinking of me highly in light of my interview next week :D (Also, love all the emails about FAFSA and immunizations...jumping the gun a bit? LOL)

TigerWillow: CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so excited for you!! :hardy::soexcited::highfive::banana::luck:

Best of luck to ya'll!!!! I can't wait to get this party started!:thumbup: I'm so happy for everyone getting called off the waitlist :D. Best of luck to all you interviewees!! I am thinking happy thoughts to you :biglove:

[.......due to some unforeseen circumstances (well, I should've seen this coming. my luck is pretty non-existent :laugh:) I will NOT be going to Tufts as hoped......] I wish I was but....yeah, I gotta stay at work SOMETIMES :rolleyes:

Thanks!!!! I was just thinking "wonder where Kaydubs is??" too bad you won't be coming, but I understand the whole "making money" deal. Gee this week really took a 180!!!

Did everyone else get the DVM-MPH email today? Trying not to read too much into this, but it made me happy that they are thinking of me highly in light of my interview next week :D (Also, love all the emails about FAFSA and immunizations...jumping the gun a bit? LOL)

I received that too. AND the FAfsa stuff. Actually the fafsa before the interview invite, so I was all sad and depressed lol!!

i don't exactly understand the MPH email... there wasn't a deadline for the app in the email...
and do we have to apply to the program now? ...i'm interested in more than one of their masters programs but i was hoping to learn more about them at the interview next week before i start applying... and, you know, it would be nice to get into the school before thinking about these things =)

Last edited:
woops. just reread it. deadline march 1st... okay, i guess we'll know whether we're in or not by then :)

Wait.... you mean you won't be coming to VISIT, right??? You will still be, like, ATTENDING... correct???

Wait.... you mean you won't be coming to VISIT, right??? You will still be, like, ATTENDING... correct???
:hug: Yes, my darling TW. I am still attending.

...i'm interested in more than one of their masters programs but i was hoping to learn more about them at the interview next week before i start applying... and, you know, it would be nice to get into the school before thinking about these things =)
Don't fret, zoovet. Just something to mull over when you go a-visiting!

(Also, love all the emails about FAFSA and immunizations...jumping the gun a bit? LOL)
They're getting you excited! ....or paranoid ;)

Any idea of some of the questions being asked this round of interviews?

Members don't see this ad :)
...same as the last round of interviews?
Not exactly the question at hand.... Last years interview questions for Tufts were completely different from the prior year. So ppl that may have already interviewed this year may be able to give some insight on what to expect.

Hey guys I have my interview coming up and I was curious about any recommendations you guys have for lodging? I still haven't booked a room.

Lets put it this way, I lived in westborough for 15 years, and I don't know if there is a hotel in town, and north grafton (adjacent) is more suburban.

Hey guys I have my interview coming up and I was curious about any recommendations you guys have for lodging? I still haven't booked a room.

If you're going for cheapest, the two cheapest were Econolodge (in Northborough) and Motel 6 (in Westborough). Make sure you mention that you're visiting Tufts when you book the room.

hmmm do we know report times on interview days?
it says something about an interview day schedule email in the actual invitation letter, but i can't find anything like that in my inbox...
i have the financial aid email, the dietary restriction/photo email, an MPH email....
am i missing anything?

it says something about an interview day schedule email in the actual invitation letter, but i can't find anything like that in my inbox...
i have the financial aid email, the dietary restriction/photo email, an MPH email....
am i missing anything?

There should be an "official" interview email. I think 9 AM is when we report in??

am i missing anything?

They sent out an itinerary for the interview day as well as information about travel and accommodations around the same time they sent out interview invites. I actually got those emails before I got my actual interview invite.

There should be an "official" interview email. I think 9 AM is when we report in??

Yup, it starts at 9, though strictly speaking I don't think you HAVE to go to everything else, some people just go for the interview and leave

I stayed at an adorable B&B in Westborough/Grafton-ish. it was quaint and I loved it :biglove:

Yup, it starts at 9, though strictly speaking I don't think you HAVE to go to everything else, some people just go for the interview and leave

Yeah, pretty much. I didn't have my interview til 1pm so I went to the whole she-bang but some people went just to the interview and left. s'pretty much whatever YOU want personally :)

I stayed at an adorable B&B in Westborough/Grafton-ish. it was quaint and I loved it :biglove:

I think I know what B&B you're talking about and I wanted to stay there, but I decided I'd rather be cheap haha

I've gone through all my emails from Tufts and I don't see anything about where to park... does anyone know where we're supposed to leave our cars? Good luck to everyone who is interviewing this week!

There is parking set aside in front of the admissions office for interview day. They have signs that point you there.

For the picture that was talked about before...how did you guys know about that. I was taken off the waitlist and nothing they gave me said anything about that

For the picture that was talked about before...how did you guys know about that. I was taken off the waitlist and nothing they gave me said anything about that

There was also ANOTHER email that was sent about dietary requirements, guests and THE PICTURE (have no clue what to do bout this... I could send my sorority pic from two years ago, but I was 20 lbs heavier!!). I could PM it to you if you'd like!

Additionally, if you don't give them a heads up about not receiving e-mail(s), they won't know there's a problem. Last year something like 1/3 of us applicants kept missing e-mails :)eek:) and they wouldn't have realized it was a widespread problem rather than an isolated incidence without people informing them -- it was resolved within a couple days.

Good luck to everyone interviewing this/next week!!! :luck:
:thumbup::thumbup: I just got a phone call last week about updating my email. My school one finally got archived a few weeks ago and I hadn't realized Tufts was still sending to that one:eek: :luck::xf::luck: Have great interviews!

Question about Tufts interview questions, do they ask behavioral questions? (like give an example of a time you used persuasion to change someones opinion or give an example of a time you had to make a split second decision) and do they ask ethical questions? (like how do you feel about euthanasia/specific euthanasia scenarios, what would you do if you saw another student cheating, or what would you do if an animal died due to a mistake you made)

Will I see anyone else on Thursday for interviews? I can't wait to meet everyone and see the school again!

Question about Tufts interview questions, do they ask behavioral questions? (like give an example of a time you used persuasion to change someones opinion or give an example of a time you had to make a split second decision) and do they ask ethical questions? (like how do you feel about euthanasia/specific euthanasia scenarios, what would you do if you saw another student cheating, or what would you do if an animal died due to a mistake you made)

Pretty much any questions are on the table. The best advice I could give is know your application (as far as what you included). My interview questions were kind of all over the board....

Oh, and don't refuse to go into the anatomy lab because you think it will be "gross". A couple applicants did that today... A good chunk of your first year life will be in that "gross" room dealing with cadavers. If the ethics of anatomy dissections are a concern, ask the tour guide about our body donation program from which we obtain our cadavers. It's totally normal to be a little creeped out, but take a deep breath (before you go in though, the smell is a bit unnatural in there lol) and really try to leave the "no thank you, please" to the guests.

Have fun :)

I was one of the applicants who went into the anatomy lab today and it was definitely worth it (although the smell of formaldehyde stuck with me for awhile after :laugh:). It was really interesting to see how it was set up and what kinds of things we'll be doing next year. Everyone was so nice and really did try to make the atmosphere relaxed, so don't worry and good luck to those who have yet to interview!

hey.. where do we actually report at 9am?
thanks in advance! eeeeep i am so nervous.

The interviews typically start off with the standard "tell me about yourself, why Tufts, etc". Don't be shy about mentioning unique hobbies -- they want to see your personality and get a better sense of your passions, both vet and non-vet related. Do make sure to look over (SKIM, don't memorize ;) ) the info you submitted a few months ago as they tend to ask questions related to specific details about experiences listed and sometimes your personal statement.

For behavioral questions, mostly they only ask things that are relevant to your background (eg: I was asked about veterinary care costs and convenience euthanasia because I had worked a lot in low-income clinics and shelters. If you have a background in dairy cows they may ask you about current regulations and what you think could be improved upon, etc). Otherwise it should be fairly conversational and you can basically direct the conversation in the direction you want. The interviewers (well, at least most of them!) really try to make it as relaxed as possible and while they do want to see how you carry yourself professionally, they are not looking to tear you apart "just to see" how you do under pressure.

Tour group tip: if you'd like to see us first years in action during our clinical skills class tomorrow, make sure to take one of the afternoon tours (sometime between 1pm-4:30pm)! :thumbup:

Oh, and don't refuse to go into the anatomy lab because you think it will be "gross". A couple applicants did that today... A good chunk of your first year life will be in that "gross" room dealing with cadavers. If the ethics of anatomy dissections are a concern, ask the tour guide about our body donation program from which we obtain our cadavers. It's totally normal to be a little creeped out, but take a deep breath (before you go in though, the smell is a bit unnatural in there lol) and really try to leave the "no thank you, please" to the guests.

Have fun :)

Thanks for the tips. And did people seriously not go in because it was gross? That shocks me, given the profession they will potentially be entering...and thanks for the tip about going on one of the afternoon tours, that's what I was planning on :)

hey.. where do we actually report at 9am?
thanks in advance! eeeeep i am so nervous.

You want to report to the administrative building on 200 Westboro Road. There will be signs for interview parking and you can park right outside the building. Try to get there closer to 845 to sign in and get a seat before the faculty panel starts.

Will anyone be interviewing February 8? I'm a little worried about lugging around a change of clothes and shoes for the tour. Does anyone know how messy the tours get?

What do you think about referring to notes during the interview? not reading from them, but to remember a name or something.

Will anyone be interviewing February 8? I'm a little worried about lugging around a change of clothes and shoes for the tour. Does anyone know how messy the tours get?

Last year, people stowed their bags by the door. I had offered to let someone put stuff in my car trunk if they needed. I brought a change of shoes for the tour. [Granted, last year, a huge snowstorm had just hit. But, wearing boots was a nice break from my interview shoes!]

What do you think about referring to notes during the interview? not reading from them, but to remember a name or something.
My advice would be to look over stuff before you head in. Some people had binders/folders with them to take notes throughout the day. It's totally up to you.

You want to report to the administrative building on 200 Westboro Road. There will be signs for interview parking and you can park right outside the building. Try to get there closer to 845 to sign in and get a seat before the faculty panel starts.
I ended up getting a wee bit lost with my parents :oops: so we were a few minutes late. But, admissions is great about getting you processed promptly. arriving a few minutes early doesn't hurt either of course ;)

Best of luck, everyone!!! :luck::xf::luck: Hope all goes swimmingly well :)

I had my interview yesterday and it was AMAZING! Everyone was really friendly and everything I was worried about seemed silly once I got there. You have a place to hang a change of clothes if you are wearing different stuff for the tour (I brought a garment bag) but you don't actually get messy going through the facilities or anything like that. Everyone was super friendly and helpful and the interview was very conversational. I spent so much time preparing answers to questions but it's more of a discussion and it seemed weird to try and fit my "planned" answers into the interview. Also, they had Chipotle cater out lunch which was fantastic! Best of luck to everyone that has an upcoming interview!!!:D

Got the call today - I am interviewing on Feb 8th and I am PEE MY PANTS happy. Srsly.

Yay Whyevernot! SOOOO happy for you!

Got the call today - I am interviewing on Feb 8th and I am PEE MY PANTS happy. Srsly.

AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! No way!!! SOO EXCITED! Wow that's such little notice! Maybe it's okay bc you're east coast ? I coulda never pulled that one off

Glad they finally realized what they should be doing! :love:

AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! No way!!! SOO EXCITED! Wow that's such little notice! Maybe it's okay bc you're east coast ? I coulda never pulled that one off

Glad they finally realized what they should be doing! :love:

Right? Thankfully I live reaaaaaally close - if I was still in Ohio, I'd be scrambling!

:banana: