Tufts c/o 2017 Applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

irrelephant23

Illinois C/O 2017
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody? Anybody?

Members don't see this ad.

I was going to apply. Especially because it's only 1.5 hours from home. But the cost is way too much of a deterrent. And I'd have to fill out a whole separate application and have elor's do another app. In the end I just don't think I would go there even if it was the only place I got in. Not because it's not an amazing school, just because it's so damn expensive!

Yeah, this is one of the more expensive places I'm applying to... not to mention a reach school.. Not ideal, but the wildlife program is too good to not apply to. I was told that tufts is in the middle of nowhere though, and nowheresville is not where I want to be.

Oh well, what the heck right?

Members don't see this ad :)
Tufts was one of my top choices and their admissions office is so freaking friendly it's ridiculous. I applied to them both times (1st cycle wait listed, 2nd cycle rejected w/out interview) so let me know if you have any questions. I've gotten great feedback from them both times for file reviews, so it might be helpful for some questions.

Yeah, this is one of the more expensive places I'm applying to... not to mention a reach school.. Not ideal, but the wildlife program is too good to not apply to. I was told that tufts is in the middle of nowhere though, and nowheresville is not where I want to be.

Oh well, what the heck right?

Yes. It is in the middle of nowhere. Only about an hour from Boston but a lot of peeps don't have time to, er, not study lol! And it's hard to find boarding for horses if you have any (I don't but that's what I found to be the truth)

Tufts was one of my top choices and their admissions office is so freaking friendly it's ridiculous. I applied to them both times (1st cycle wait listed, 2nd cycle rejected w/out interview) so let me know if you have any questions. I've gotten great feedback from them both times for file reviews, so it might be helpful for some questions.

That's what I've heard! A vet student I work with interviewed there and said that they had the most friendly faculty imaginable! I might PM you once I look further at the application :)

Yes. It is in the middle of nowhere. Only about an hour from Boston but a lot of peeps don't have time to, er, not study lol! And it's hard to find boarding for horses if you have any (I don't but that's what I found to be the truth)

OOoooh. Horses won't be a problem for me, but I guess you're right. Who has time to care about where they are living when they will be nose deep in anatomy?

That's what I've heard! A vet student I work with interviewed there and said that they had the most friendly faculty imaginable! I might PM you once I look further at the application :)

But seriously. Patty Finger made me cry by being so nice to me when I called to do my file review. She sounded genuinely sincere that things hadn't worked out and remembered me right away as soon as I said my name. I felt pathetic for crying but I can't say enough how nice they are and really work to help you out through every step of the process.

They even cut me a break when I potentially royally messed up my application. I had never sent my abroad transcripts during the first cycle since all other schools I applied to said that I didn't need them since my credits transferred to my home institution. Tufts apparently wanted transcripts from my abroad school, but they were like "Oh, well we didn't catch it last time so don't worry about it this year." They also let me send them a 4th LOR because I listed someone that I realized didn't actually qualify (despite double checking. :smack:). It had to be sent by mail and was coming from the UK and they were okay with it arriving after the due date.

I kind of feel like they cut me too much slack, but they're an awesome bunch of people and the facilities are nice and the campus is cute cause it's all together and on it's own. Would have liked to be a little closer to Boston, but oh well.

But seriously. Patty Finger made me cry by being so nice to me when I called to do my file review. She sounded genuinely sincere that things hadn't worked out and remembered me right away as soon as I said my name. I felt pathetic for crying but I can't say enough how nice they are and really work to help you out through every step of the process.

Aw, thanks for sharing your story! I really think it makes a difference when the faculty actually cares about the students. The school environment can be just as important to learning as actually studying, and I'm really hoping that where ever I end up I can have a good relationship with my professors. It may be wishful thinking, but I'm an office hours kind of gal!

Good luck with your applications everyone! I'll be starting in August and I'm really excited. Feel free to PM me with any questions regarding the apps, school, etc.

I am applying here for the wildlife program, too!

Anyone choosing to make a video for that one essay question? I thought it was quite odd....but cool at the same time. I wonder what they would be looking for in a video...something straight forward or more creative?

I am applying here for the wildlife program, too!

Anyone choosing to make a video for that one essay question? I thought it was quite odd....but cool at the same time. I wonder what they would be looking for in a video...something straight forward or more creative?

They're letting you make a video??? That's new and interesting.

OHMYGOD this is like legally blonde!!! Someone please be in a bikini in an inner tube !!!!!!

And I only got to talk about my now nonexistent speech impediment. Sigh.

OHMYGOD this is like legally blonde!!! Someone please be in a bikini in an inner tube !!!!!!

And I only got to talk about my now nonexistent speech impediment. Sigh.

Hahahah. I talked about swimming and a service trip. The swimming essay was apparently not so good. Wish I could have used my essay from the cycle before. They liked that one. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys, a little late, but i also applied to tufts this past cycle, got an early interview, and was accepted in january 2012. if anyone has any questions at all let me know! :)

i found the tufts application process to be much less of a hassle than i thought, and i totally second orca2011's statement that the admissions office is super friendly. they always responded to my questions very quickly, especially patty and patty recognized me on interview day by name because of all the emails we had exchanged! :laugh:

good luck everyone! :luck:

ETA: i really loved the sound of tufts' program, and the strength of their E/CC program was very appealing. i very well might have attended over penn, if the location was a little closer to the city.

Me me! I visited for the open house in October and loved it there. :) The wildlife program is really what drew me in as well.

Hi all!

Just about ready to submit my application!! Has anyone else had trouble with actually paying/clicking submit though? When I click 'payment' there aren't any options available and the 'submit' page is blank..tried this on several browsers: safari, firefox, IE

Maybe some from c/o 2016 can offer some wisdom as to if they open up the application before allowing submissions? And if so when they start allowing submissions?

Thanks! Help much appreciated :)

Wow!!! Overachiever!!! I haven't started any of the essays yet.... Hope it works out for you! :xf:

(btw, last year and the year before, the application was extended due to snowstorms. But I didn't just say that to all of you procrastinators that are like me)

(btw, last year and the year before, the application was extended due to snowstorms. But I didn't just say that to all of you procrastinators that are like me)

Really? The extension two years ago was due to a snow storm? Totally thought it was just because. I know they added extra interview dates that year because of a ridiculous snow storm. They're a pretty flexible school, I feel.

Really? The extension two years ago was due to a snow storm? Totally thought it was just because. I know they added extra interview dates that year because of a ridiculous snow storm. They're a pretty flexible school, I feel.

Well idk about the two years ago. I know that's what they said in the forum last year? Or maybe that's what my host student told me?

Well idk about the two years ago. I know that's what they said in the forum last year? Or maybe that's what my host student told me?

Ah. I just thought you were talking about two years ago which would have been my first cycle. It was extended then too but I think by only a day.

Ah. I just thought you were talking about two years ago which would have been my first cycle. It was extended then too but I think by only a day.

But to procrastinators, a day is all you need! I think my host student wasnt even thinking about applying and she did it in that day. I couldn't imagine doing that.

I think they pretty much extend it every year... just because. If they have a "reason," they might state it, but it seems like they just do. When I was applying 3 years ago :)eek:), I called Patty about something like a week before their apps were due, and before I got off the phone she was like "Oh, and just letting you know, rumor has it that the deadline will be extended so you have a little time," in a wink wink kind of way.

I think they pretty much extend it every year... just because. If they have a "reason," they might state it, but it seems like they just do. When I was applying 3 years ago :)eek:), I called Patty about something like a week before their apps were due, and before I got off the phone she was like "Oh, and just letting you know, rumor has it that the deadline will be extended so you have a little time," in a wink wink kind of way.

Haha. I feel like that is something she'd do. She's great!

i looooooove patty she is soooo nice! :)

I remember she and I had a bonding session over the phone about how much I hate ETS ;)

Ugh, who doesn't hate ETS? Seriously. I called the hotline once because one of my previous test registration numbers disappeared online... I jumped through about five hoops before I was able to talk to someone who was nice enough to admit that they had no idea what was going on. :sleep: snoozefest

Applying! And Tufts is my first choice...I fell in love when I did the 2 week Adventures in Vet Med Program with them. :)

Now that I submitted VMCAS, all of my attention is to Tufts. I have started but slowly trying to get the essays done.

Quick question, for the activities, awards, and organizational involvement -- if I have nothing to really jot down, should I leave it blank or "N/A" or "---". Or am I over-thinking it!? Lol. :cool:

Thanks!

Quick question, for the activities, awards, and organizational involvement -- if I have nothing to really jot down, should I leave it blank or "N/A" or "---". Or am I over-thinking it!? Lol. :cool:

Thanks!

You know, I'm not quite sure. I just kind of filled in the blanks I could and left others blank. For example, I have nothing for student government so I left those blank. I hate how it is organized. I wish we could just list crap like on vmcas. OH well! I have all of the essays done except the last short essay... Which historical figure vs 15 minutes of fame vs what makes me different.

Tufts applicants REPRESENT!

You know, I'm not quite sure. I just kind of filled in the blanks I could and left others blank. For example, I have nothing for student government so I left those blank. I hate how it is organized. I wish we could just list crap like on vmcas. OH well! I have all of the essays done except the last short essay... Which historical figure vs 15 minutes of fame vs what makes me different.

Tufts applicants REPRESENT!

Hmm I hate blank spaces. But yes, that section's organization bothers me. I have 1 essay done, I need to do the Why Tufts and the same as you - I think I am going with the 15 minutes of fame. Maybe, ha!

Also, I am not happy that I can't input all of my work experiences. The fact that that section is limited also bothers me. But oh well! :p

Hmm I hate blank spaces. But yes, that section's organization bothers me. I have 1 essay done, I need to do the Why Tufts and the same as you - I think I am going with the 15 minutes of fame. Maybe, ha!

Also, I am not happy that I can't input all of my work experiences. The fact that that section is limited also bothers me. But oh well! :p

Agreed! i think i am going with the different one. I was initially planning for the historical figure one, but I can't commit to any one figure. So I might just revamp my diversity essay from the Florida supplemental and call it a day. :)

ETA: Looks like I am doing the historical figure essay. Now that VMCAS are in, I hope some more Tufts applicants will crawl out of the woodwork!

Last edited:
Hi hi hi! I'm applying to Tufts! I applied to 5 VMCAS schools too. I'm currently working on the historical figure essay... I have a serious love for English punk culture in the 70s-early 80s. Would an essay on Sid Vicious be offensive/too un-scholarly?

Anyways, best of luck to all of you! Especially Wannabevet, since its your first choice =)

hey guys, a little late, but i also applied to tufts this past cycle, got an early interview, and was accepted in january 2012. if anyone has any questions at all let me know! :)

What was the interview like??? Also, I am going there in a couple weeks with an alum, who knows a resident there who is showing me around. What kinds of things are important to see around the Tufts area to really characterize the whole 'surrounding area' experience?

I wanted to make the video so badly but then I really started working out the logistics of it, and realized it was likely to be an epic fail. Is anyone going that route? I decided on the 'experience that characterizes you' type essay.

Hi hi hi! I'm applying to Tufts! I applied to 5 VMCAS schools too. I'm currently working on the historical figure essay... I have a serious love for English punk culture in the 70s-early 80s. Would an essay on Sid Vicious be offensive/too un-scholarly?

Anyways, best of luck to all of you! Especially Wannabevet, since its your first choice =)

Thanks! It's a reach school for me though...but keeping my fingers crossed. :)

It's a reach school for me too. I'm hopeful because wildlife is my passion :love: and Tufts would be wicked to attend. Unfortunately, I don't know who sid vicious is so I can't really help. But as long as it is a historical figure and you can write a compelling essay about it, I'm sure it will fly! I'm going more of the renaissance man route... :cool:

It's a reach school for me too. I'm hopeful because wildlife is my passion :love: and Tufts would be wicked to attend. Unfortunately, I don't know who sid vicious is so I can't really help. But as long as it is a historical figure and you can write a compelling essay about it, I'm sure it will fly! I'm going more of the renaissance man route... :cool:
Hey, if the renaissance is your thing, go for it! Wildlife is awesome, I'm big into exotic companion animals (love me my critters.) My fingers are crossed for you!

Vethopeful2011-- I also thought about making a video, because I'd love for them to be able to put a face to my application. But, I am not very artistic and realistically it would most likely be sloppy and trite.. so yes an epic fail in other words.

I think writing about having dinner with sid vicious would be really neat! I think the last essay is really a means to gather a bit about our personality. I don't think it's unprofessional...I think it definitely stands out. Just don't mention you want stab nancy and stuff though :laugh:

I'm still thinking about what i want to write about for the last essay too. :/

What was the interview like??? Also, I am going there in a couple weeks with an alum, who knows a resident there who is showing me around. What kinds of things are important to see around the Tufts area to really characterize the whole 'surrounding area' experience?

I applied back in 2010 (for fall 2011) and was wait listed. The interview is really laid back and is an all day event. They give you a tour and have various info sessions for you to attend from financial aid to all the various combined degree programs they have. They provide you with lunch (which was made by various faculty members I believe) and everyone is just super friendly.

You're interviewed by two people and I believe it's open file, meaning they have both seen your application. A lot of the questions they ask are based on your experiences and they'll toss an ethical question in there too to get you thinking. Of my interviews during that cycle, it was definitely the one I felt most relaxed in and came out feeling I had done well.

I applied back in 2010 (for fall 2011) and was wait listed. The interview is really laid back and is an all day event. They give you a tour and have various info sessions for you to attend from financial aid to all the various combined degree programs they have. They provide you with lunch (which was made by various faculty members I believe) and everyone is just super friendly.

You're interviewed by two people and I believe it's open file, meaning they have both seen your application. A lot of the questions they ask are based on your experiences and they'll toss an ethical question in there too to get you thinking. Of my interviews during that cycle, it was definitely the one I felt most relaxed in and came out feeling I had done well.

That sounds like a great interview style/day! I've heard great things about their interview format. Everyone that has inquired about where I applied has commented on how wonderful tufts is and how jealous they'll be if i get in! I know it might be one of the least realistic schools I applied to :rolleyes: but I'm taking the chance.

That sounds like a great interview style/day! I've heard great things about their interview format. Everyone that has inquired about where I applied has commented on how wonderful tufts is and how jealous they'll be if i get in! I know it might be one of the least realistic schools I applied to :rolleyes: but I'm taking the chance.

If I had gotten in there ( and if it was a little closer to Boston) , I would have had a very hard time making a decision. It was one of my top choices.

An admissions counselor from Tufts is coming to my school this Wednesday during the time that I have class! :( Sadness. Wish I could attend!

Under the extracurricular activities page -- what does it really mean when it says "Social Activities"? Every time I look over that page, it just bothers me more and more. :rolleyes:

And under the essay where we can list any full time or other employment not related to animals - do you think this only encompasses paid work?

Last edited:
Under the extracurricular activities page -- what does it really mean when it says "Social Activities"? Every time I look over that page, it just bothers me more and more. :rolleyes:

Social Activities. I take this to mean social organizations. ie sorority/fraternity/greek life in general/ other social groups where the emphasis is more on relationship building than other things. I'm putting my sorority and another campus group that doesn't fit under any other categories.

And under the essay where we can list any full time or other employment not related to animals - do you think this only encompasses paid work?

I believe so. Employment to me means paid work. Unless you have bunches of hours working for free doing something completely unrelated to animals, I would only include paid work. If you, perhaps, happen to have worked for credit or something of the like, I would include that because you are technically getting paid the amount that the credits would have cost you.

Hope that helps! :)

I still haven't submitted this yet... Even though I have it done.

I believe so. Employment to me means paid work. Unless you have bunches of hours working for free doing something completely unrelated to animals, I would only include paid work. If you, perhaps, happen to have worked for credit or something of the like, I would include that because you are technically getting paid the amount that the credits would have cost you.

Hope that helps! :)

I still haven't submitted this yet... Even though I have it done.

Thanks! See I have a couple of hundred (500+hrs) volunteering at a hospital when I was in high school and was wondering if I should include it since it is a significant amount of hours.

I have yet to write my last 500 word essay. No inspiration during midterm time!

I included the summers during college I spent working as a waitress and working as an athletic trainer at school. They just want to get an idea of what you spent your time doing.

Also, in the next few weeks before the application is due, I'd be happy to answer any questions! Good luck!

Hello! Current Tufts students/past applicants: when did you first hear back about interview invites? Thanks!