Tufts c/o 2017 Applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I assume it will happen as soon as they start hearing "No Thanks" from anyone who they offered admission to.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I'm guessing everyone who got an interview is at least on the waitlist...so that's ya know, only 200 other people to contend with.

That's what it looks like from what everyone is posting here. Until I see an "I got rejected" post, I'm going to assume the alternate list is ~200 students

It varies from year to year. I wouldn't give up hope but it would depend on if you're OOS or IS.

Care to elaborate on that? Is OOS or IS more likely to get in off the wait list? I know for many public schools, they are more likely to choose OOS off wait lists because they mean more $$$ ...

ACCEPTED! So excited! Especially because I was originally on the wait list for an interview. I have already accepted my seat at my IS school so good luck to everyone on the wait list hopefully my seat will go to you! Best wishes!!!!

Care to elaborate on that? Is OOS or IS more likely to get in off the wait list? I know for many public schools, they are more likely to choose OOS off wait lists because they mean more $$$ ...

I would assume there is a better chance of you getting in off the OOS wait list. More OOS people will decline their seat to attend their instate school then the reverse. The cost shouldn't apply here because Tufts is private there is minimal cost difference for IS and OOS.

ACCEPTED! So excited! Especially because I was originally on the wait list for an interview. I have already accepted my seat at my IS school so good luck to everyone on the wait list hopefully my seat will go to you! Best wishes!!!!

Congrats on all of your luck this year, that's awesome!!

I would assume there is a better chance of you getting in off the OOS wait list. More OOS people will decline their seat to attend their instate school then the reverse. The cost shouldn't apply here because Tufts is private there is minimal cost difference for IS and OOS.

That's what I was looking for, thanks! The lack of different tuitions was what made me wonder if OOS or IS had wait list advantage

Perfect sense, many thanks for your response!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I see there's some acceptances in the valley of alternates so far. Congrats to those accepted!!!!

ACCEPTED!!!! this has been my one goal life!!!

Anyone familiar with how likely it is that they actually give you an appreciable amount of scholarship $/FinAid? The seminar on interview day made it seem to be slim to none (of course other than federal loans which you get anywhere) and I got offered money elsewhere so I'm not sure if it's profitable to wait around til essentially the last minute (they say offers will be given by early April)..

Congrats to everyone who was accepted and good luck to those waitlisted! I know how hard it can be when deciding between schools and would be happy to answer any questions you may have. Feel free to PM me!

I was accepted as well, but now I'm waiting on financial aid... I loved Tufts so so much, but the cost without anything significant is just not happening over my IS. I feel bad waiting to tell schools one way or another because I know there are so many people as alternates hoping to get a spot but... if only they could give their financial aid packages sooner! I already sent in everything last week for everywhere... just waiting on that now.

Edit: I guess since the schools wouldn't tell alternates until after the accepted students' deadline anyway that it probably doesn't actually help much. Unless that's just Tufts (from reading the above linked thread).

Last edited:
Do we have to respond somewhere if we're attending accepted students day? The date was listed with the acceptance letter I got. It had info about putting a deposit down, but not about replying to accepted students day.

As far as financial aid, Tufts offers institutional aid that includes grants and loans, as well as federal aid that is just loans (I believe). I don't know what the chances are of receiving institutional aid but I wrote down in my notes from the financial aid information session that the maximum amount of institutional aid that could be offered is $11,000. I don't know whether that is per year or total, does anyone else know that?

I really hope that I get off the wait-list :(

As far as financial aid, Tufts offers institutional aid that includes grants and loans, as well as federal aid that is just loans (I believe). I don't know what the chances are of receiving institutional aid but I wrote down in my notes from the financial aid information session that the maximum amount of institutional aid that could be offered is $11,000. I don't know whether that is per year or total, does anyone else know that?

My notes say that the max is $8,000 and my impression was that this was per year.

I have a question for current (or former) Tufts students:
I was wait listed at Tufts and rejected everywhere else, so this question may not even matter, but... How is the social scene/life at Tufts? At my interview we were told that students live all over the place and commute. This would be a huge change for me as my undergrad is pretty much the exact opposite (pretty much everything is walking distance and almost everyone lives near campus). I know that vet school is very demanding and there isn't much time to socialize anyways, but having somewhat of a social scene is important to me in order to try to keep myself sane. Since Tufts is my only *potential* option, I feel like it would be dumb of me to turn an offer down (if I were to even get one of course). Two vets that I work with straight-up told me that turning down an offer and reapplying next year would be dumb. But my concern is that I wouldn't be happy there. The program sounds absolutely PHENOMENAL, and at the end of the day that is what matters (which I am trying to keep in perspective), but I also want to somewhat enjoy my life/be happy wherever I am for vet school. I am from Ohio, so Tufts is also very far from home and it's not like I could just go home for a random weekend. I realize that I am probably getting ahead of myself as I will probably be reapplying again next year, but I am curious about everyone's input. Thank you so much!! :)

Does anyone know when Tufts will send out financial aid award offers for c/o 2017? And whether it will be by email/snail mail?

I have a question for current (or former) Tufts students:
I was wait listed at Tufts and rejected everywhere else, so this question may not even matter, but... How is the social scene/life at Tufts? At my interview we were told that students live all over the place and commute. This would be a huge change for me as my undergrad is pretty much the exact opposite (pretty much everything is walking distance and almost everyone lives near campus). I know that vet school is very demanding and there isn't much time to socialize anyways, but having somewhat of a social scene is important to me in order to try to keep myself sane. Since Tufts is my only *potential* option, I feel like it would be dumb of me to turn an offer down (if I were to even get one of course). Two vets that I work with straight-up told me that turning down an offer and reapplying next year would be dumb. But my concern is that I wouldn't be happy there. The program sounds absolutely PHENOMENAL, and at the end of the day that is what matters (which I am trying to keep in perspective), but I also want to somewhat enjoy my life/be happy wherever I am for vet school. I am from Ohio, so Tufts is also very far from home and it's not like I could just go home for a random weekend. I realize that I am probably getting ahead of myself as I will probably be reapplying again next year, but I am curious about everyone's input. Thank you so much!! :)

Grafton is not a booming metropolis, but it's also not completely in the middle of nowhere. Between SCAVMA events, general vet school parties at people's houses, and driving into Boston (which is an hour away) on Friday or Saturday nights, there's definitely tons of opportunities for socializing. Worcester is 15-20 min away, and even though it doesn't have the best reputation, there still are some cool places to go there. For instance, I just found an awesome micropub/bar that serves craft beers and artesinal cheeses. And when I'm just grabbing drinks with friends after an exam, the local bars and restaurants in Grafton are definitely sufficient.

Things will be a huge change for you in comparison to undergrad, but that will be true no matter where you go. I'm not really sure of any vet school where everyone lives in dorms...so in other words, Tufts is not uniquely a "commuter" school. Some people live in Boston or halfway in between Boston and Grafton and have long commutes, but most people live within 15-20 min of campus. And yes, you will be insanely busy, so in general the limiting factor for socialization will be your lack of time. I can't really speak to the being far from home/homesick factor because I've been going away to school since Si was 16...but lots of people fly home for random weekends (a little less doable, though, for people who live in California). I usually drive home to visit my folks about every 3 months or so, but I have flown home twice to save time.

I think the only thing that makes Tufts a little different from some other schools is that the opportunities to make friends with people who are not vet students is limited. But on the plus side, I am saving so much money compared to when I took post-bacc classes at Penn and lived in West Phily, because there's not the temptation to eat out all the time. And it's much more convenient to make coffee at home than to stop at dunkin donuts, so I'm probably saving $30-$50 a month just on coffee alone. Also a huge plus for those of us who like the outdoors is that there are lots of opportunities for hiking (locally) and skiing (2 hrs to the good resorts in southern VT and NH).

I won't say that people don't complain from time to time about feeling stuck in central Massachusetts. And the other big negative is that we all pay really high tuition compared to other people who are in state residents at other vet schools (for me, though, there wasn't a huge difference between in state tuition at Penn and out of state tuition at Tufts). But in general, pretty much everyone at Tufts is glad to be here.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Does anyone know when Tufts will send out financial aid award offers for c/o 2017? And whether it will be by email/snail mail?

When I called earlier this week they said sometime next week (first week in April) we would know. And the person I spoke with said snail mail to your "current" address. Though I didn't specifically ask if there was also an online listing, but I suppose at the Admitted Students Day tomorrow (if you're going), you could ask!

Does anyone have the link to the facebook group for '17 ? I'm assuming there is one....

And now that they emailed us that the financial aid is going to be available online sometime this week, I'm so anxiously waiting!! I wish that the speed at which one replied to their email correlated to how soon they'd let you know.. I think I replied within 3 minutes of getting it! But alas if it's to last name... it'll be another few days for me...

Even if I don't end up getting accepted off of the wait list...

I honestly LOVE Tufts' admissions office (and even their admissions process). I have not had ONE bad experience with Tufts, which is more than I can say for other schools I applied to. I know that numbers/stats are inevitably a huge part of the admissions process (even though they aren't necessarily the best way of determining who will make a good vet), but I really appreciate that Tufts does their best to look at applicants as a whole. They truly care about who we are as people, and never have I ever felt like just a number with them. I just had my file review today (hence this post :p), and although I am of course upset that I was wait listed, I felt like I got answers to a lot of questions. I feel so much better after speaking with them -- and if I'm not ultimately accepted, I am very excited to apply there again next year. While I've learned a lot from this application cycle, getting to April has been no easy path (October - March were essentially hell!). Anyways, I just wanted to say that if you were wait listed (or rejected), SCHEDULE A FILE REVIEW!!! The admissions office is WONDERFUL and I love them (lol). They are so extremely helpful and nice and genuinely want you/us to succeed.

P.S. I had a second file review with a school that shall remained unnamed... and this post stems from how unbelievably impressed I was with my Tufts experience (file review and overall experience) vs. my experience with the other school. So instead of venting about the other school, I am deciding to gloat about Tufts :thumbup:

Hope you get in sblove17! I'll be starting in the fall

Has anyone received their financial aid information yet?

Hope you get in sblove17! I'll be starting in the fall

Thank you!! Wow this is a delayed response haha. Unfortunately I haven't heard a peep :(

Does anyone know anything about the chances of getting off the waitlist at this point? I'd assume that they're not particularly good.

Thank you!! Wow this is a delayed response haha. Unfortunately I haven't heard a peep :(

Does anyone know anything about the chances of getting off the waitlist at this point? I'd assume that they're not particularly good.

I'm hoping so because it seems like my last chance this cycle (Minnesota and Illinois classes seem to be full).

I emailed Ford on the 16th or so, and he said they gave the waitlisters accepted then two weeks to decide, so hopefully some will have declined and they'll accept more this week (including you and me would be nice!) :p

Tufts was one of my top choices and their admissions office is so freaking friendly it's ridiculous. I applied to them both times (1st cycle wait listed, 2nd cycle rejected w/out interview) so let me know if you have any questions. I've gotten great feedback from them both times for file reviews, so it might be helpful for some questions.

Hi! I'd love any advice you have for me. Tufts is my top school for some reason, even considering the cost, academic standards, and the fact that I'm out of state.