Tufts c/o 2018 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
to anyone: how did you get your vet experience?
I am having a hard time finding a vet who will allow me to shadow
(I know this probably isn't the right place to post this but this is one of the more active threads)
I worked in a hospital for 2 years, shadow, volunteer in a local shelter's clinic, and do mobile spay/neuter events. The job opened everything else up for me. I remember seeing a thread or two about finding vets to shadow, so a search in the pre-vet forum might prove helpful. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
to anyone: how did you get your vet experience?
I am having a hard time finding a vet who will allow me to shadow
(I know this probably isn't the right place to post this but this is one of the more active threads)
I just walked into a vet office in MT and asked to intern...then I volunteered at a wildlife care center. Based on my experience I got a front desk receptionist job at an emergency specialty hospital, then got a vet tech job at Banfield (I wouldn't recommend Banfield but they do training) I have traveled to Costa Ricamand done research, internship at a zoo. I also have a business degree so that may have helped. I literally went to tons of vet clinics and walked in with my resume. You just have to be super proactive and not expect to get paid. I was very lucky to have gotten a paid job at Banfield and the Emergency Hospital. I wanted to work as a vet asst. at my emergency hospital but they had no room. It is tough to balance it all. I also interned at an equestrian center and did numerous other volunteer work. I hope this helps. I personally think walking in is better. Are you a people person? Be outgoing and show them you like to work with people as much as animals.

I interviewed yesterday and I had an awesome time. My interviewers were genuinely friendly and seemed to be interested in the more subjective parts of my application. Everything else was great, too, including the free Chipotle lunch!

Reactions: 1 user
I interviewed yesterday and I had an awesome time. My interviewers were genuinely friendly and seemed to be interested in the more subjective parts of my application. Everything else was great, too, including the free Chipotle lunch!

How was the tour? Were you able to see a lot? (i.e. the wildlife clinic?)

What were some of the harder questions they asked, if you don't mind sharing? :)

What were some of the harder questions they asked, if you don't mind sharing? :)
This is a hard question to answer in general. It depends on who interviews you. For example, my interviewers last year didn't even ask me any questions--we just had a conversation about me and my experiences and random things I like to do. Tufts generally has this laid-back atmosphere (although there are a couple of interviewers that can grill you). It's not like other schools where all the interviewers have a list of questions they need to ask.

How was the tour? Were you able to see a lot? (i.e. the wildlife clinic?)

I thought the tour was pretty extensive. We saw the LA hospital, the SA hospital, and the wildlife clinic. Behind the scenes on all of those. The only thing we didn't get to see on my tour was the anatomy lab because some sort of last minute LA procedure was happening in there. I figured most anatomy labs are similar, though, so I wasn't too disappointed. The only building it seemed we didn't tour was the library building. We also didn't go into some of the barns because of contamination/cross contamination, although we were able to walk through the sheep barn and see any animals that were outside.

I didn't feel like there were many traditional questions asked. They wanted me to elaborate on my experiences and on some opinions I expressed in my essays. We also talked about my theories regarding the male/female ratio in vet med vs. human med. That was probably the only semi-traditional question asked, but it really turned into a three-way discussion in the end anyway.

Just as a heads up to anyone who interviewed on the 20th: apparently admissions decisions are going to be posted today at 3 pm eastern. Commence the nervous fretting

Does anyone know when the 2nd interview notices are being sent out or if the rejection letters have been sent out?

This is killing me. My portal isn't updating. Anyone else having the same problem?

Members don't see this ad :)
This is just cruel at this point...haha

Same with me! As of 3:30 still no update. Merry christmas from Tufts haha

This should be illegal. Nothing yet on my end.

Has anyone tried contacting them? Maybe it's a mistake...? I just don't understand why they would do this on purpose

I'm at work and can't call ... someone want to check in with them?

I tried calling and got no answer...I'm guessing there's no point in emailing....

I hope they're not closed for the holidays and will realize tomorrow that some mistake was made. Or maybe we'll all have to wait for the old fashioned snail mail acceptance letter. *Vehemently hoping that arrives tomorrow* Wait, is there even mail on Christmas eve?

I take that back! Everyone who interviewed - check your email! Hope you find good news there :joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful:

So excited! Congrats to everyone =) I really loved the school

Does anyone know when the 2nd interview notices are being sent out or if the rejection letters have been sent out?

I'm not 100% sure, but I was under the impression that interview invites are sent out in batches about 3-4 weeks before each interview date (the dates were in one of those teaser emails we got right before Thanksgiving). I don't know about rejections but I haven't heard about any. Hopefully that means everyone still has a chance! :)

Yes!

Floating on air right now. Congrats to everyone else who was accepted.

Congrats, guys!!! So exciting :D And fingers crossed for those of us still waiting to hear! :luck:

Congrats to everyone that received good news yesterday! You guys rock :D:highfive:

Just logged in to check that my fall transcript has been received, and it now says "decision period past" and doesn't show my application credentials anymore. Anyone else see the same thing?

Just logged in to check that my fall transcript has been received, and it now says "decision period past" and doesn't show my application credentials anymore. Anyone else see the same thing?
I don't have fall transcripts, but mine now says the same thing. Gulp.

Me, too... Knowing Tufts, it's probably a glitch.

So... Any ideas about when we'll hear back for the second round of interviews?

So... Any ideas about when we'll hear back for the second round of interviews?

I always heard around this time. I think I might have heard by snail mail though. I can't remember now but I don't have any old emails in my inbox and definitely have a paper invitation at my parents' house. Just can't remember if they send an email first.

Must...stop...refreshing...email!

OMGOMGOMGOMGO. RECEIVED INTERVIEW INVITATION! YIPPEE! :D

Reactions: 2 users
Email invite? When for? and congrats! I've been going crazy waiting for someone to post something...

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh I got one too!!!!!! January 28th at 2:30...I am so excited! :D

Reactions: 1 users
I got one too! February 3rd!

Reactions: 4 users
February 3!! :)

Reactions: 3 users
womp still nothing on my end.... hoping there are more emails sent out. i hate the anticipation :(