Tufts c/o 2019 applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HowIMetYourPet

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all!!

I feel this thread will be especially important since Tufts doesn't take place through VMCAS...we may have a lot of extra questions, and hopefully we can help each other out!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey y'all! Good luck this upcoming cycle! I just finished my first year at Tufts, so if you guys have any questions, I'll be around a lot this summer. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Hey y'all! Good luck this upcoming cycle! I just finished my first year at Tufts, so if you guys have any questions, I'll be around a lot this summer. :)

I am looking into applying into Tufts, but I was wondering how is the application process?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know exactly when the new application opens for DVM applicants? The website says "end of June," and I'm sorta dying of suspense right now. I know--sad, right?

;)

I e-mailed them the other day asking that question, and after a very swift response, I was told that they were hoping to get the new application (because they're using new software) up early July, but they didn't have a start date, so to keep checking the website. Then when the program to register changes, that's when we know its the new one, and we can fill it out :)

I'm rather excited as well :)

Hey everyone!

So excited for you as this application cycle begins! I am going to be a V'18 at Tufts and went through a very intense selection process as I was accepted to a couple of very good schools aside from Tufts, so if you have any questions on why I chose Tufts over the Ivies, please let me know. :)

Hey everyone!

So excited for you as this application cycle begins! I am going to be a V'18 at Tufts and went through a very intense selection process as I was accepted to a couple of very good schools aside from Tufts, so if you have any questions on why I chose Tufts over the Ivies, please let me know. :)

How would you say the application process was?

I e-mailed them the other day asking that question, and after a very swift response, I was told that they were hoping to get the new application (because they're using new software) up early July, but they didn't have a start date, so to keep checking the website. Then when the program to register changes, that's when we know its the new one, and we can fill it out :)

I'm rather excited as well :)

Thanks, HIMYP. Good to know. Can't wait for this forum to start filling up with more pre-vet excitement.

I am looking into applying into Tufts, but I was wondering how is the application process?

Hey! Most of the information you have to enter is the same/similar to what you enter for VMCAS. The only real big change is they require two "creative" type essays in addition to your personal statement--i.e. what would you do with your 15 minutes of fame?/what person in all of history would you have dinner with?, etc. I'm not sure if they change every year. There's a couple short essays (~200 words) asking why you want to go to Tufts, etc.

Did anybody start their application yet, or is it still not up?

Still not up the last time I checked....which was like 4 days ago

Hmm wonder when they are going to have it up and running.:hello:

Hello! The new application is up and running now :) This will be my second cycle and I'm excited to get started...although maybe not so much about rewriting those pesky essays... oh well :p

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm so nervous about applying here...it's at the top of my list right now!!!

Good luck to everyone applying! This is a general question, but one of the essay prompts wants you to describe your 15 minutes of fame. Might seem like a silly question, but does that mean what you hope to do in the future or what you have already done?

I think it could really be anything as long as it isn't overflowing with how you love animals. I got that they just wanted to learn more about you outside of the veterinary world. If that makes sense haha

I have two people picked for my essay, however I can not decide which way would be the best to go. One of them is very well known and may be considered an expected answer, and the other is kind of random but someone whose work really involved something I enjoy. Should I pick the obvious or go for the other not so well known individual? Both are really interesting to me, but I can't really decide which would make for a better essay. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

When I applied two years ago to Tufts, I picked something fun and my style. Someone they probably didn't know. Granted, I didn't even get offered an interview... not sure the reason why.

My first instinct was to pick Freddy Mercury..... but I feel like "I adore Queen" (and all subsequent Queen inspired bands, such as Muse) would probably not make the best of essays!!!

My initial was Einstein, but it seemed too tacky so I diverted haha

Anybody know how we should enter AP credits? I have both my Bio I & II fulfilled by my AP score... Should I simply enter them under the school and course titles that they satisfied and the term as the first term of freshman year?

I have two people picked for my essay, however I can not decide which way would be the best to go. One of them is very well known and may be considered an expected answer, and the other is kind of random but someone whose work really involved something I enjoy. Should I pick the obvious or go for the other not so well known individual? Both are really interesting to me, but I can't really decide which would make for a better essay. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

It sounds like the more well known person might make for an easier essay, but in my opinion I think it would be more fun, and make for a more unique essay, if you were to write about the lesser known person. That way you can basically tell them why you admire them and hopefully persuade them to learn more about that person, which would allow the essay to stick out in their minds.
My question is...and this is probably silly...can the "historical figure" still be alive? I have someone in mind, but I don't know if they qualify as being "historically famous".

Hi! Congratulations! I'm super interested in Tuft's...just recently started the application process for fall of 2015. Looking for any advice and any info on what your stats were or what they're looking for.

Thank you :)

hey guys! So I actually just looked into Tufts today....never really considered it before, and I don't know why! haha this is my second year applying after being wait listed at Oregon and WSU last year. Someone mentioned Tufts to me over the weekend and said they take a lot of OOS (I'm a CA resident). Looked at last years stats and it looks like only 25/91 were MA residents. So thats pretty good. Anyways I can keep digging for info, but i just wanted to get a few opinions of why you guys are interested in Tufts...very broad question I know, but Im just checking out all my options! Thanks in advance! ;)

#1 reason..... I want out of the midwest ;)

Hey guys, question about grades....

So, for the prereq page, when you're entering grades, what if you have a lab that went along with a lecture that is a prereq, but the lab wasn't? IE, physics. Do you include the lab (they're separate classes)

Another question..... are you guys adding general animal experience (ie riding lessons) to the animal/vet/research area? It seems like they maybe only want more formal items, like working in a clinic or at a shelter, etc....

Anybody know how we should enter AP credits? I have both my Bio I & II fulfilled by my AP score... Should I simply enter them under the school and course titles that they satisfied and the term as the first term of freshman year?

I emailed the admissions coordinator at Tufts and this was her reply about entering AP credits:
"You should list the name of the college that gave you the credits (and shows up on their transcript). Do not enter your high school here. You can leave the academic year, the semester/year and grade earned all blank. Sometimes, transcripts list a course number next to the name of the course they gave you AP credit for and sometimes they don’t. Enter a course number only if you have one. The course title could look something like this: AP English, or AP Biology, etc."

Hope that helps!

Hi! Tufts is my number one school. I'm looking for any and all advice for the application process. I'm doing a post bacc program starting in January and applying for fall 2016. I want to strengthen myself and application as much as possible!

Kind of a general question, but I'm wondering if should add anything to the "Additional Information" part of the app, but not really sure what they would want? Is it sort of the same thing as the VMCAS explanation statement?

Now that all the other applications are done I am going to try and focus on this one! Anybody finish it yet??!?

Hi Tufts applicants, I had a quick question regarding letters of recc. In interest of reducing the amount of work for my letter writers, does anyone know if the Tufts letter the same as the VMCAS letter? I'm assuming they require a letter evaluating me, but is there a special prompt or a set of evaluation questions that my letter writers have to answer? I feel awful after making them do PPI and VMCAS already so I don't wanna push more work on them x)

Anybody have some tips for the historical figure essay? I literally have gone through fifty people, because I keep trying to figure out what admissions is looking for...

Anybody have some tips for the historical figure essay? I literally have gone through fifty people, because I keep trying to figure out what admissions is looking for...

The admissions committee is really just trying to learn a little more about you outside of your veterinary interests. I wrote one of my essays on having dinner with Julia Child and incorporated that into how I really like to cook/bake. They may have changed the prompts, but when I applied they specifically asked us to write about things unrelated to vet med. It's more about why you are picking the person and less about who the person is. Good luck!

The admissions committee is really just trying to learn a little more about you outside of your veterinary interests. I wrote one of my essays on having dinner with Julia Child and incorporated that into how I really like to cook/bake. They may have changed the prompts, but when I applied they specifically asked us to write about things unrelated to vet med. It's more about why you are picking the person and less about who the person is. Good luck!

It sounds like the exact same prompt! Anyhow I finally decided upon someone and I just went with it. I won't name who I picked specifically ( I will say they can be associated with genetics), but I related it back to how I was diagnosed with a hereditary bleeding disorder at a young age. Hopefully that will be good enough!

Finally got my last evaluator done fr Tufts! Now to just edit my essay a little bit and it will be time to turn it in tonight!
Let the waiting begin! :bow:

When I applied last year, I wrote mine on Emil Fischer... I was obsessed with orgo at the time. When I had my application review after being rejected, they basically said "At first we were really confused as to why you chose this person...but then we read about your love for orgo in your other statement and it all made sense!". The one thing they DID tell me is that you're supposed to make yourself the "star" of your essay, but still have a focus on the person you're having dinner with. I went with the other essay "things that make me different.." and wrote about a terrifying/awesome experience I had while rock climbing and how I handled the situation. Best o' luck!

Just about done with my app, ready to submit...except I need to put my personal statement in....mine is 950 words (since vmcas has a 2000 character cut off)....but Tuft's app says 750 words....do you think that's just a guideline? Like so u don't make it 3000 words? I'm worried they will cut it off or something...but I'm having the HARDEST time cutting it down. :(
what do ya'll think?

Just about done with my app, ready to submit...except I need to put my personal statement in....mine is 950 words (since vmcas has a 2000 character cut off)....but Tuft's app says 750 words....do you think that's just a guideline? Like so u don't make it 3000 words? I'm worried they will cut it off or something...but I'm having the HARDEST time cutting it down. :(
what do ya'll think?
So I had this same problem. I managed to cut mine down just to be sure, but I bet if you e-mailed them they would let you know. They've been very helpful so far.

So I had this same problem. I managed to cut mine down just to be sure, but I bet if you e-mailed them they would let you know. They've been very helpful so far.
Hmmm okay thank you!! Yeah I sent them an email Friday, if I don't hear by Monday I'll just call and ask them! :)

Thought I would update here in case anyone had the same questions, admissions said that the amount of words is just a general suggestion so applicants don't go on and on and on...but she said by no means should I cut it down if it is what I want to say, she said 950 is so close to 750 it's no big deal. Yay! :woot:

Reactions: 1 users
What does everyone think about the application deadline extension until Monday morning? I'm having the toughest time with the shorter essay, so it'll be good to have the entire weekend to work on it. Talk about last minute! Is anyone else in the same boat?

I'm having a hard time finishing my last essay. It has been over 2 weeks, but I still can't figure out.

Yep!!

I've gone through 5 different historical figures....full drafts....ready to go...then I'll decide I don't like the vibe it gives /headdesk/

I'm VERY happy about the extension!

Every time I see you posting somewhere, I get a tear in my eye on reading the word "Galliphrey"

We would have the perfect doctor :(