Tufts c/o 2019 applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I already turned all of my stuff in for Tufts, and I struggled with my historical figure for a while. The one I finally chose to do was actually fun to do...so I guess you will know when you find the right person. Anyhow, why do you guys think they extended the deadline??? To me it seems unusual for them...

Members don't see this ad.

They've extended the deadline every year for the past 2-3 years (could be even longer than that) that I know of.

Any reason behind that? Or do they just do it for the heck of it lol?

Members don't see this ad :)
Any reason behind that? Or do they just do it for the heck of it lol?

I was actually talking to one of the admissions officers when I received the email and I asked him about it! He said that no one is in the office on Sat anyways so the committee voted to give applicants the entire weekend to finish! What a freaking awesome school man haha! :D Btw, if any of you guys have any on-going veterinary experiences, they recently added a "2015" year to to the drop-down boxes on the health, vet, and research experiences section. I was confused as how to note that I was going to be working at a clinic until vet school started (aug 2015) and the admiss officer was surprised that it the year 2015 wasn't already available. IT just added it so if you haven't already submitted, you can change it to that! (although if you submitted already, I doubt they'd care since it's their fault haha)

Reactions: 1 user
Can't wait for this last application to go through!!! Almost there guys!

Last edited:
Finally submitted!!

MY LAST SUPPLEMENTAL IS DONE!!!

Now I can sit back and relax!! (yeah...right...more like sit back and panic and check my e-mail 21093487219 times a day)

Reactions: 2 users
Literally just made this profile so I could express my panic.... I submitted my application yesterday evening, but my last recommendation has not come through and the professor who agreed to write one for me is MIA. We last spoke five days ago about how she was getting ready to finish it by the original November 1st deadline, but then that deadline passed and she has not responded to any of my emails, phone calls, or resending the recommendation. IS MY LIFE OVER? Tufts is my top choice for veterinary school and I can't believe that my chances are going to be ruined because of something out of my control. I applied to four other schools, but really thought my best shot was at Tufts.

Literally just made this profile so I could express my panic.... I submitted my application yesterday evening, but my last recommendation has not come through and the professor who agreed to write one for me is MIA. We last spoke five days ago about how she was getting ready to finish it by the original November 1st deadline, but then that deadline passed and she has not responded to any of my emails, phone calls, or resending the recommendation. IS MY LIFE OVER? Tufts is my top choice for veterinary school and I can't believe that my chances are going to be ruined because of something out of my control. I applied to four other schools, but really thought my best shot was at Tufts.
Call tufts. They're EXTREMELY nice my friends transcripts never went through and she called this morning and they said just go ahead and rush order them now, it will be fine.
So call them and find out your options. Is there anyone else you can have write a letter today and get it in? Maybe this other person is not your best bet anyways, not sure what kind of letter they will be writing you if they aren't takjng it seriously enough to get it in on time (that being said my boss submitted 2 days before vmcas deadline....which was a month after I told her I needed it by...lol!! I know my letter was good she just procrastinated). But call tufts and see what they can do. Good luck!

Call tufts. They're EXTREMELY nice my friends transcripts never went through and she called this morning and they said just go ahead and rush order them now, it will be fine.
So call them and find out your options. Is there anyone else you can have write a letter today and get it in? Maybe this other person is not your best bet anyways, not sure what kind of letter they will be writing you if they aren't takjng it seriously enough to get it in on time (that being said my boss submitted 2 days before vmcas deadline....which was a month after I told her I needed it by...lol!! I know my letter was good she just procrastinated). But call tufts and see what they can do. Good luck!

Thank you for your support! I did talk to Tufts, and they were so nice and sympathetic - they said as long as she gets it in by the end of the week, everything is fine! And she actually just finished the recommendation after being MIA for five days, so all is well. She is just a procrastinator, like you said. Crisis avoided!

Now that we have this one out of the way I am curious who everyone wrote their essay about? I myself picked Harry Houdini...gotta love magicians:p

Members don't see this ad :)
Now that we have this one out of the way I am curious who everyone wrote their essay about? I myself picked Harry Houdini...gotta love magicians:p

I think you're talking about the question that had multiple prompt options? I chose the one with the quote to respond to, where it's like "the things that make me different make me." I wrote about this punk band I saw on Halloween and my fascination with the holiday. It kind of felt like a risky topic, but hopefully I'll stand out haha. Why did you write about Harry Houdini?

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah, I totally forgot that they gave us three options! That's definitely a unique topic and I picked Houdini for the sole fact that I enjoy magic and he is definitely someone unique! I watched a documentary on him the one day and it really fascinated me how much of a science magic truly is, because of the fact that you are quite literally messing with an individual's perception.

Yeah, I totally forgot that they gave us three options! That's definitely a unique topic and I picked Houdini for the sole fact that I enjoy magic and he is definitely someone unique! I watched a documentary on him the one day and it really fascinated me how much of a science magic truly is, because of the fact that you are quite literally messing with an individual's perception.

That's awesome! I'm a total nerd for magic-based films, like The Illusionist and Now You See Me. I just like seeing what stunts people can come up with next. It's fascinating! That's probably why I like Halloween so much too since it's essentially celebrating warped realities.

That's awesome! I'm a total nerd for magic-based films, like The Illusionist and Now You See Me. I just like seeing what stunts people can come up with next. It's fascinating! That's probably why I like Halloween so much too since it's essentially celebrating warped realities.

Omg I live the illusionist! It's one of my favorites and Halloween is my favorite holiday too! I'm kind of depressed that it's over, but I guess it's good it's over cause we are just getting closer and closer to hearing back from some of these schools!

Omg I live the illusionist! It's one of my favorites and Halloween is my favorite holiday too! I'm kind of depressed that it's over, but I guess it's good it's over cause we are just getting closer and closer to hearing back from some of these schools!
Tell me about it. Waiting for news has been driving me crazy... and to find out that some people have already gotten interview offers - ack!

Tell me about it. Waiting for news has been driving me crazy... and to find out that some people have already gotten interview offers - ack!

I know I applied to 10 schools and have only heard back from one, and that was just to say not to expect any interview invites until the new year.:confused:

I know I applied to 10 schools and have only heard back from one, and that was just to say not to expect any interview invites until the new year.:confused:
It's nice to meet someone who has applied to about as many as me! I've applied to 13 and most people I've met have only applied to like five or fewer. I've basically heard the same. Most schools were like heyy we got your stuff... now leave us alone lol!

It's nice to meet someone who has applied to about as many as me! I've applied to 13 and most people I've met have only applied to like five or fewer. I've basically heard the same. Most schools were like heyy we got your stuff... now leave us alone lol!

I just wanted to hopefully only have to do this one time! Also I really don't know where I would like to go yet although Tufts would probably be my first choice! But, if not it would be nice to have a few options especially since I decided against applying to Penn my instate school.

Where all did you apply???
Here is my list: Ohio, Tufts, VMRCVM, Illinois, Iowa, Mizzou, Kansas, Mississippi, Minnesota, Lincoln Memorial University

I just wanted to hopefully only have to do this one time! Also I really don't know where I would like to go yet although Tufts would probably be my first choice! But, if not it would be nice to have a few options especially since I decided against applying to Penn my instate school.

Here is my list: Ohio, Tufts, VMRCVM, Illinois, Iowa, Mizzou, Kansas, Mississippi, Minnesota, Lincoln Memorial University

I'm joining in this conversation because I have a lot of nervous energy left over after finishing this application yesterday! I applied to 5 this time around: Tufts, VMRCVM, Cornell (my IS school), Illinois, and Washington. (I applied to 6 last year, but didn't get into any of my top choices, so I went to graduate school instead haha.)

I'm joining in this conversation because I have a lot of nervous energy left over after finishing this application yesterday! I applied to 5 this time around: Tufts, VMRCVM, Cornell (my IS school), Illinois, and Washington. (I applied to 6 last year, but didn't get into any of my top choices, so I went to graduate school instead haha.)

We have a few school's in common! Did you get any interviews last cycle?

We have a lot in common! Mine is: A&M, Tufts, Illinois, Mizzou, Kansas, Mississippi, Minnesota, Purdue, LSU, OK State, Auburn, Royal Veterinary College, and Colorado State. Yeah, I really don't want to have to apply a second time around. I graduated in May 2013 and have been finishing some prereqs / pursuing a masters in the interim so I'm just really ready to get into vet school. It's been my dream forever!

Joining in as well!! I applied to 7 schools. Applied to only 4 last year (as a junior with out degree) got waisted at 2 (Oregon and wsu) (interviewed at wsu).
I used Bob Hope as my person, talked about positivity, inspiration, and working hard (bc he was like a maniac how much he worked!!), talked about selflessness and how he went on over 50 USO tours.

It's nice to hear other people have applied to more schools rather than less! He sounds like a rather interesting individual, although I don't know much about him it sounds like you had a good essay!

I didn't do the AVM program, but another thing I am curious about is what branch of vet med do you hope to pursue at the school? They really had a wide variety of options and a few that I feel are really unique to the school!

I didn't do the AVM program, but another thing I am curious about is what branch of vet med do you hope to pursue at the school? They really had a wide variety of options and a few that I feel are really unique to the school!
The international veterinary medicine opportunity is something I'm really interested in. I grew up abroad, so I've always been itching to get back to an expat lifestyle. I'm not really interested in starting up a practice or doing clinical medicine longterm, but I really want to do the dual MPH or Lab Animal medicine program. I'm getting more and more interested in epidemiology and the careers that are opening up for vets who pursue a kind of public-sector focus. I think Tufts definitely has a comparatively unique curriculum.

We have a few school's in common! Did you get any interviews last cycle?

Yeah, I interviewed for St. George's and was accepted, and I was accepted to Cornell (they don't do interviews).

Yeah, I interviewed for St. George's and was accepted, and I was accepted to Cornell (they don't do interviews).

That's awesome! You didn't want to go to Cornell though???

As for Tufts I am really interested in their wildlife and conservation branch. My father has been a wildlife conservation officer my whole life and this branch is something that I feel really is close to my heart and my experiences mostly stem from this area!

As for Tufts I am really interested in their wildlife and conservation branch. My father has been a wildlife conservation officer my whole life and this branch is something that I feel really is close to my heart and my experiences mostly stem from this area!

You will really enjoy the podcasts this military veterinarian does with "unusual" veterinarians about their careers. There's a few with wildlife vets. http://www.elliottgarber.com/category/podcast/

I went to Cornell for undergrad, and I really couldn't see myself spending 8 years in the same cold place haha, plus I was accepted to Harvard for grad school and didn't want to pass up that opportunity.

I, too, want to go to Tufts for all of their wildlife opportunities! They have a really awesome program for those interested in wildlife, and they really let you tailor your experience to what you're truly interested in.

I went to Cornell for undergrad, and I really couldn't see myself spending 8 years in the same cold place haha, plus I was accepted to Harvard for grad school and didn't want to pass up that opportunity.

I, too, want to go to Tufts for all of their wildlife opportunities! They have a really awesome program for those interested in wildlife, and they really let you tailor your experience to what you're truly interested in.
What grad program are you doing at Harvard?

I would kill to stick with working with wildlife! After spending my entire life playing with bears, dears, owls and a wide variety of other animals it would be really hard to move on to cats and dogs! Sadly not many vet schools have a program such as the one Tufts supports..

I would kill to stick with working with wildlife! After spending my entire life playing with bears, dears, owls and a wide variety of other animals it would be really hard to move on to cats and dogs! Sadly not many vet schools have a program such as the one Tufts supports..
That's what internships are all about! Definitely listen to those podcasts - the one lady's story is so inspiring and she's really adamant about the wildlife field always needing people/always having internships and jobs. So no matter what school you go to, if you want a career in wildlife, you can make it happen!

That's what internships are all about! Definitely listen to those podcasts - the one lady's story is so inspiring and she's really adamant about the wildlife field always needing people/always having internships and jobs. So no matter what school you go to, if you want a career in wildlife, you can make it happen!

Thanks so much! I am going to have watch those for sure tonight!!

I'm sure you've already talked to Patty in the admissions office, who is pretty much the nicest woman on the planet. I've heard they're very flexible about things like that, especially since it was the reference that dropped the ball. I'm sure it won't preclude you from the admissions process. Hope you're feeling less stressed now! :)

I think you're talking about the question that had multiple prompt options? I chose the one with the quote to respond to, where it's like "the things that make me different make me." I wrote about this punk band I saw on Halloween and my fascination with the holiday. It kind of felt like a risky topic, but hopefully I'll stand out haha. Why did you write about Harry Houdini?

You are freaking epic. I love punk & ska music! Thought I was the only pre-vet who did :bow: I wrote about a near-death experience I had while surfing...changed my life completely, made me stronger, and effectively, more "me!" :p

You are freaking epic. I love punk & ska music! Thought I was the only pre-vet who did :bow: I wrote about a near-death experience I had while surfing...changed my life completely, made me stronger, and effectively, more "me!" :p
I think you took the freaking epic award with that one! That's great your experience made you stronger. You would probably appreciate my stories about struggling to stay up at the front of the barrier of a show! First show I ever went to the security people pulled me out over the barrier because they thought I couldn't breathe... I was so mad that I had to fight my way back to the front again... but I did it, lol! Anyway, I'm thinking a vet jam session would be pretty awesome. \m/__\m/

Sick! I wrote mine about a near death experience while rock climbing !

Does anyone know when Tufts sends out interview invites/ when they are held?

Also, apparently in previous years people heard about getting interviews through November - January.

I just read that Tufts joined VMCAS two days ago. I wonder how that will affect their supplementals for next year.

I just read that Tufts joined VMCAS two days ago. I wonder how that will affect their supplementals for next year.

I think that would make it so much easier for next year's application cycle. It was a hassle to re-enter all the same information for their application, just in a slightly different way than for VMCAS! Plus there would be less transcripts to send.

The only downfall I can see of this is having to pay both the $100 dollars or so for the VMCAS and the possible supplemental fee. Where as this year we only had to pay $70 for the whole application.

Reactions: 2 users
I think that would make it so much easier for next year's application cycle. It was a hassle to re-enter all the same information for their application, just in a slightly different way than for VMCAS! Plus there would be less transcripts to send.
That's very true. Especially because I started working on their old application format before they announced the new format. Fortunately I didn't get very far... but still, I was a little peeved haha.