Tufts c/o 2020 Applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Dang, why are LMU and MWU so fast? Good luck to any of you who are going to those interviews :) and you're right PSUprevet, Ford said we wouldn't hear until Novemberish... I don't think any of my schools will hit me up until November if I got anything. Again, just sucks waiting.

Members don't see this ad.

Dang, why are LMU and MWU so fast? Good luck to any of you who are going to those interviews :) and you're right PSUprevet, Ford said we wouldn't hear until Novemberish... I don't think any of my schools will hit me up until November if I got anything. Again, just sucks waiting.

They have rolling admissions. I know people who received interview invites as early as August and have been accepted to either/both schools. I'm hoping to get accepted as well!
I just need it to be November like now..... think of it like this.... next month we will hear something! :)

I didn't want to apply to LMU and MWU mainly just because private schools with high tuitions and I didn't have the chance to visit either :( visiting ended up being super important to me and my decisions.

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't want to apply to LMU and MWU mainly just because private schools with high tuitions and I didn't have the chance to visit either :( visiting ended up being super important to me and my decisions.

To each his own :). I've heard both schools are amazing from those who have interviewed there recently. So far, everything I've heard about both schools have painted a very positive image in my mind and am excited to see them both :). The only school I visited was Tufts just because it is my IS school. Did not have any time to visit the other school I applied to unfortunately...just relied on SDN, school websites and youtube...

Because LMU and MWU are desperate to accept students.

Because LMU and MWU are desperate to accept students.

I wouldn't call it desperate. They are new schools, yes. But remember, all of other vet schools in the world were one day an "LMU and MWU". I just believe it's a part of the process of establishing a new professional school. I believe in the years to come, both schools will grow and have a great reputation just like other great professional schools.

Reactions: 1 user
To each his own :). I've heard both schools are amazing from those who have interviewed there recently. So far, everything I've heard about both schools have painted a very positive image in my mind and am excited to see them both :). The only school I visited was Tufts just because it is my IS school. Did not have any time to visit the other school I applied to unfortunately...just relied on SDN, school websites and youtube...
understandable. I dragged my mom and dad to a school each and then managed to visit tufts while on my vacation/road trip :) lol.

I wouldn't call it desperate. They are new schools, yes. But remember, all of other vet schools in the world were one day an "LMU and MWU". I just believe it's a part of the process of establishing a new professional school. I believe in the years to come, both schools will grow and have a great reputation just like other great professional schools.
I totally agree. I have two friends; one goes to LMU and one goes to MWU. Like I said, the tuition got me, etc. I put emphasis on visiting. I visited 4 schools and didn't like one of them.

They're desperate. I am not saying they are bad schools, but right now they are desperate for students.

They're desperate. I am not saying they are bad schools, but right now they are desperate for students.
Eh, you're definitely not wrong. I wanted there to be a lot of opportunity for me at my school I go to ( a network of alum, a huge hospital, research opportunities).

Eh, you're definitely not wrong. I wanted there to be a lot of opportunity for me at my school I go to ( a network of alum, a huge hospital, research opportunities).

That's understandable. They do not have as many opportunities as other schools because they're new. They'll get there one day. Even if I do not attend either or I wish them the best of luck :). I too want to go to a school filled with opportunities. I like to explore and keep busy as much as possible. But nothing wrong with initiating changes in both schools and working to create opportunities... from experience, it's fun and challenging to do ^_^...... but let's be real... Tufts is my main focus hahaha

That's understandable. They do not have as many opportunities as other schools because they're new. They'll get there one day. Even if I do not attend either or I wish them the best of luck :). I too want to go to a school filled with opportunities. I like to explore and keep busy as much as possible. But nothing wrong with initiating changes in both schools and working to create opportunities... from experience, it's fun and challenging to do ^_^...... but let's be real... Tufts is my main focus hahaha
Just keep your eye on the prize :) Tufts tufts tufts!

Members don't see this ad :)
Tufts is my dream school! How are the interviews and what questions did they specifically ask you? Also, who did you interview with?
My Tufts interview last year was my favorite. They do a great job in making you feel welcomed and mine felt more like a casual conversation among friends than it did an interview. We talked about hiking, nature, art, hobbies and wildlife in my interview. I was never asked any tricky ethical questions or the "typical" interview type questions like "what are your strengths/weakness," etc. My interviewers were Dr. Pokras and Dr. Ayres.

My Tufts interview last year was my favorite. They do a great job in making you feel welcomed and mine felt more like a casual conversation among friends than it did an interview. We talked about hiking, nature, art, hobbies and wildlife in my interview. I was never asked any tricky ethical questions or the "typical" interview type questions like "what are your strengths/weakness," etc. My interviewers were Dr. Pokras and Dr. Ayres.

Love Dr. Pokras!!!

does anyone know how tufts go about sending interview invites? Do they email you? call you? or are you expected to check your portal for any updates?

does anyone know how tufts go about sending interview invites? Do they email you? call you? or are you expected to check your portal for any updates?
They email you.

finally verified! now to wait until november-january-ish :(

Did anyone else get an update from Tufts that they were missing a letter of recommendation? One of my academics did not count because she was my research PI and did not comment on me academically. I have already asked an advisor and a current professor who declined, so I'm at a loss. Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Did anyone else get an update from Tufts that they were missing a letter of recommendation? One of my
academics did not count because she was my research PI and did not comment on me academically. I have already asked an advisor and a current professor who declined, so I'm at a loss. Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

I didn't receive any update.....

There's no one else you can ask?

I didn't receive any update.....

There's no one else you can ask?

Not that would be more than "she got an A in my class" type of letter. I go to a big school, and I've done well, but I don't have many close relationships with professors.

I'd go ahead and go with one of the "A in the class" letters, if I were you. You already have three other letters that can speak to your diligence/attitude/personality/etc, so if all they need is someone to attest to your academic capabilities, I think you'll be fine going with someone who doesn't know you too well. Do anything you can think of to make it easier for your writer to put together something fairly personal and specific to your strengths. Offer to send them your personal statement, or give them a few personal stories that didn't make it into your essays that provide some insight to your best qualities.

I'm surprised your academic advisor declined, you'd think writing letters for students would be part of the job description. :shrug:

I'm sorry this happened, I can only imagine how stressful it must be to find out now! Good luck!

I'd go ahead and go with one of the "A in the class" letters, if I were you. You already have three other letters that can speak to your diligence/attitude/personality/etc, so if all they need is someone to attest to your academic capabilities, I think you'll be fine going with someone who doesn't know you too well. Do anything you can think of to make it easier for your writer to put together something fairly personal and specific to your strengths. Offer to send them your personal statement, or give them a few personal stories that didn't make it into your essays that provide some insight to your best qualities.

I'm surprised your academic advisor declined, you'd think writing letters for students would be part of the job description. :shrug:

I'm sorry this happened, I can only imagine how stressful it must be to find out now! Good luck!

I was surprised too :( Reasoning that my employers never sent in any evaluations for me and thats what she uses for letters (I go to Northeastern, so co-op is part of the curriculum..
but even without the evals, she's worked with me on finding jobs, knows my resume and academics. Whatever I'm over it.)

But yes, that's what I'm currently doing. Like you said, they should at least be able acknowledge that I did well in the class, even without knowing me personally. Again, fingers crossed...

I have a strong GPA, so I'm hoping that the professor recommendations are more of a checklist/confirmation and not a deal breaker if they are average. Obviously good ones help no matter what, but I mean that as long as they're not negative letters, I'll be fine? At least that's what I'm telling myself.

I was surprised too :( Reasoning that my employers never sent in any evaluations for me and thats what she uses for letters (I go to Northeastern, so co-op is part of the curriculum..
but even without the evals, she's worked with me on finding jobs, knows my resume and academics. Whatever I'm over it.)

But yes, that's what I'm currently doing. Like you said, they should at least be able acknowledge that I did well in the class, even without knowing me personally. Again, fingers crossed...

I have a strong GPA, so I'm hoping that the professor recommendations are more of a checklist/confirmation and not a deal breaker if they are average. Obviously good ones help no matter what, but I mean that as long as they're not negative letters, I'll be fine? At least that's what I'm telling myself.

I went to Northeastern for undergrad too! That seems so strange to me...I never asked my advisor for a letter (I used my post-bacc professors), but I know for a fact my co-op bosses never sent in evaluations, and I don't know why she'd hold it against you. Couldn't she just write a letter that didn't mention your co-op performance? What a pain.

I feel like a strong GPA and test scores should speak for themselves, to some degree. I think you're right, at this point you just need to tick the boxes so you have the right letters submitted. If you have stellar letters from your other references, I doubt a vanilla academic letter will hold you back from getting an interview.

I went to Northeastern for undergrad too! That seems so strange to me...I never asked my advisor for a letter (I used my post-bacc professors), but I know for a fact my co-op bosses never sent in evaluations, and I don't know why she'd hold it against you. Couldn't she just write a letter that didn't mention your co-op performance? What a pain.

I feel like a strong GPA and test scores should speak for themselves, to some degree. I think you're right, at this point you just need to tick the boxes so you have the right letters submitted. If you have stellar letters from your other references, I doubt a vanilla academic letter will hold you back from getting an interview.

Oh awesome! :) Did you graduate a long time ago, or would I know you?

All my co-ops were outside of the system, so they didn't totally "get it" and never sent in evaluations. I still feel like there would be more to say about me than what my employers said.... but oh well.

Luckily, my biochemistry professor said yes. She said she doesn't have time to meet beforehand, so it'll be a rushed letter, but it'll be positive and she'll do her best. I'll take it.

I graduated in 2010 and was an International Affairs/Econ major, so we probably never met. Are you a recent grad? Glad you found someone for the letter!

I graduated in 2010 and was an International Affairs/Econ major, so we probably never met. Are you a recent grad? Glad you found someone for the letter!
Ah okay, I will be graduating this May 2016 (senior now), so we never would have overlapped. Maybe we will at Tufts in the future :D

Finally, received an informational email from tufts! check your email guys :)

Last edited:
I got it and it honestly made my Friday. I'm terrified though because they mentioned having 1,000+ applicants for 98 spots, however, Ford told me this is their first year on VMCAS so half of those people probably just shrugged and clicked on Tufts for kicks.

I got it and it honestly made my Friday. I'm terrified though because they mentioned having 1,000+ applicants for 98 spots, however, Ford told me this is their first year on VMCAS so half of those people probably just shrugged and clicked on Tufts for kicks.

I believe that too because last year I think they had only a little under 700 applications in total. I'm glad that VMCAS had that section asking "why tufts?" I hope the admission's committee can decipher, from those responses, who is truly passionate about attending Tufts.

I believe that too because last year I think they had only a little under 700 applications in total. I'm glad that VMCAS had that section asking "why tufts?" I hope the admission's committee can decipher, from those responses, who is truly passionate about attending Tufts.
When I met with them that was one of the things they mentioned, that that essay was going to hold more ground than it has in the past because they want to accept a class that wants to go there and not people who applied to cover the bases.

When I met with them that was one of the things they mentioned, that that essay was going to hold more ground than it has in the past because they want to accept a class that wants to go there and not people who applied to cover the bases.

That makes me so happy! My response was personal. I have connected alot with Tufts in the past year. I did not apply to any other school that asked that same question. I could not bring myself to lie haha.

That makes me so happy! My response was personal. I have connected alot with Tufts in the past year. I did not apply to any other school that asked that same question. I could not bring myself to lie haha.

Yeah, showing you're passionate and that you know specifics about the school, like selectives particularly stand out in these kind of essays. I can imagine that a lot of the essays look similar, especially with a 50-100 word essay, so I hope mine looked good enough. Tufts is probably my number one school.

Yeah, showing you're passionate and that you know specifics about the school, like selectives particularly stand out in these kind of essays. I can imagine that a lot of the essays look similar, especially with a 50-100 word essay, so I hope mine looked good enough. Tufts is probably my number one school.
I agree. I think the majority will look the same. I believe/hope mine will stand out as well. Tufts is definitely my top choice. Are you IS or OOS? Also, what other schools did you apply to if you do not mind me asking? :)

I visited Tufts, so honestly, I wrote about my visit and what I learned from it but I'm afraid it still might come across as generic. I wrote that I love a school with a flexible curriculum that includes electives because some schools don't, that I loved the wildlife clinic, and the summer research programs where you can go abroad. It was so hard considering it was 700 characters. BUTTTTT I'm praying that I put down words that not a lot of people would've been capable of typing having NOT visited Tufts.

I agree. I think the majority will look the same. I believe/hope mine will stand out as well. Tufts is definitely my top choice. Are you IS or OOS? Also, what other schools did you apply to if you do not mind me asking? :)
I'm OOS, but I go to college in Boston, so I'm quite familiar with Tufts. I applied to 8 places total, Cornell, Penn, Iowa, Michigan, Mizzou, Ohio, Minnesota, and Tufts of course.

I really really try not to name favorites because I only need one and I don't want to get my hopes up because I would be thrilled to go anywhere, but it's hard not to say that about Tufts.

I visited Tufts, so honestly, I wrote about my visit and what I learned from it but I'm afraid it still might come across as generic. I wrote that I love a school with a flexible curriculum that includes electives because some schools don't, that I loved the wildlife clinic, and the summer research programs where you can go abroad. It was so hard considering it was 700 characters. BUTTTTT I'm praying that I put down words that not a lot of people would've been capable of typing having NOT visited Tufts.

I am sure you will stand out ! I also wrote about my multiple visits and it was SO hard to make it so concise!

I'm OOS, but I go to college in Boston, so I'm quite familiar with Tufts. I applied to 8 places total, Cornell, Penn, Iowa, Michigan, Mizzou, Ohio, Minnesota, and Tufts of course.

I really really try not to name favorites because I only need one and I don't want to get my hopes up because I would be thrilled to go anywhere, but it's hard not to say that about Tufts.

I feel the same way.:oops: For all the schools that I've applied to, I found atleast one thing that attracted me and targeted my interests.....but with Tufts it's not just one thing... it's everything about it!!:bang: Luckily, I did interview at another school recently and I fell inlove with it. The interview went great. BUT I shall not tell a lie....my heart , soul and mind are set on Tufts...BUT I'd be happy to attend any of my other schools... just not AS happy lol...

Hey, so I was told my application has "moved on to the reading section". Does that mean I passed in the academic/stats sense? What is the first step in this process? I ask this because I have been worried about my GREs being a make it or break it for me. So if I have moved on to the reading section, does that mean my GREs wasn't a make it or break it for me since I made it a step closer?

Hey, so I was told my application has "moved on to the reading section". Does that mean I passed in the academic/stats sense? What is the first step in this process? I ask this because I have been worried about my GREs being a make it or break it for me. So if I have moved on to the reading section, does that mean my GREs wasn't a make it or break it for me since I made it a step closer?

If you're referring to the email titled "Admissions Update from Tufts University," then I would say it's just a mass message which basically means "We received all the crap from VMCAS and now we can actually start looking at the **** all you folks submitted." :D

If you're referring to the email titled "Admissions Update from Tufts University," then I would say it's just a mass message which basically means "We received all the crap from VMCAS and now we can actually start looking at the **** all you folks submitted." :D

I received that email but Ford specifically told me that my application has moved on to the reading section... I just want to know my GRE scores made it passed the academic eval or whatever it is that they do first before the reading section:confused:....

The update email mentioned that they were going to spend the next few weeks weeding out the applications that didn't meet all of the prerequisite and recommendation letter requirements. I'd assume the reading stage means you passed the requirements check, and they'll start looking over the specifics of your application in the next stage. I don't think Tufts has a separate academic evaluation stage (like some of the other schools) that you can pass and then academics are no longer taken into account. From what I've heard, something like 70% of the final decision is based on academics.

The update email mentioned that they were going to spend the next few weeks weeding out the applications that didn't meet all of the prerequisite and recommendation letter requirements. I'd assume the reading stage means you passed the requirements check, and they'll start looking over the specifics of your application in the next stage. I don't think Tufts has a separate academic evaluation stage (like some of the other schools) that you can pass and then academics are no longer taken into account. From what I've heard, something like 70% of the final decision is based on academics.

thank you!!!

was this a separate email that they sent you or did you email them to ask? I got the mass email about how Tufts are starting to review applications, but nothing after that.

was this a separate email that they sent you or did you email them to ask? I got the mass email about how Tufts are starting to review applications, but nothing after that.

I wanted Ford to add another achievement to my record and he said "You application has moved on to the reading section, so I can no longer add notes. If granted an interview, you can certainly update your interviewers on what you have been up to."

I wanted Ford to add another achievement to my record and he said "You application has moved on to the reading section, so I can no longer add notes. If granted an interview, you can certainly update your interviewers on what you have been up to."
Okay, thanks for letting me know! I'm a bit on edge about everything right now :confused:

Reactions: 2 users
Pretty cool,

Received an email from Ford this morning passing on a contact for a farmer that's in a wheelchair. He gave me his contact information to use as a potential resource for techniques and working with large animals.

Thumbs up Tufts!‎

Reactions: 8 users
Pretty cool,

Received an email from Ford this morning passing on a contact for a farmer that's in a wheelchair. He gave me his contact information to use as a potential resource for techniques and working with large animals.

Thumbs up Tufts!‎

Wow, that's awesome. Tufts is great (it's my ~dream school~). Sounds like Ford likes you!!

Reactions: 1 users
I believe, in about a week, Tufts will be sending their first wave of interview offers....exciting!

Reactions: 5 users