Tufts MBS 2014-2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
yeah I just don't want to be super annoying since they're doing me a huge favor but at the same time it's like "Gah! It's only like a page!"

I sent you a PM!

Members don't see this ad.

yeah I just don't want to be super annoying since they're doing me a huge favor but at the same time it's like "Gah! It's only like a page!"
I definitely know how you feel. One thing I have developed with my professors is gently, respectful "nagging" where I remind them about the LOR. I wanted to see if anyone knows someone who's got in with an initial low MCAT score that was supplemented with a great GRE score. I would love to improve my MCAT score now however I don't believe in the time frame I'm looking at I can improve my score to where I want to. GRE seems more likely and also is needed for applying for other programs. Does anyone know how Tufts looks at a situation like that?

Congrats to those who have gotten into the program and good luck to those still waiting! I was in your shoes a little more than 2 years ago.

My best advice is that you get MCAT out of the way BEFORE program starts. Classes are from end of August to end of May and the last exam is quite possibly the most difficult one. Also, the benefit of the 1st semester is minimal. I only gained a point on my BS section even though I crushed that semester (5/6 A+ in Med Foundations I). It's just not the same thing. If I had to do it again, I'd have just stuck with my pre-program MCAT and submitted in June.

For reference, I did the program a year ago. While this is my first application cycle, I'm certain the Tufts MBS is what gave me at least one US MD acceptance. Waiting on more (I hope) because I bullocked my application cycle. I had a 3.0 or so science GPA from undergrad and I know others in my year who were in bigger academic holes and are now holding multiple acceptances.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the insight, I really appreciate it.

Woohoo! Submitted application March 1st and received acceptance notification March 19th! Who else has been accepted?

Good luck to everyone!

Congrats to those who have gotten into the program and good luck to those still waiting! I was in your shoes a little more than 2 years ago.

My best advice is that you get MCAT out of the way BEFORE program starts. Classes are from end of August to end of May and the last exam is quite possibly the most difficult one. Also, the benefit of the 1st semester is minimal. I only gained a point on my BS section even though I crushed that semester (5/6 A+ in Med Foundations I). It's just not the same thing. If I had to do it again, I'd have just stuck with my pre-program MCAT and submitted in June.

For reference, I did the program a year ago. While this is my first application cycle, I'm certain the Tufts MBS is what gave me at least one US MD acceptance. Waiting on more (I hope) because I bullocked my application cycle. I had a 3.0 or so science GPA from undergrad and I know others in my year who were in bigger academic holes and are now holding multiple acceptances.

What was your cGPA and SMP GPA? How many of your class received interviews/acceptances from Tufts med school?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Congrats! I was accepted late February, but I've been hanging onto that last shred of hope for a med school acceptance since then. Since that ain't happening, I'll probably submit my deposit here later this week.

Congrats bkin13! Were you given the April 9th deadline for the deposit as well? PM me if you decide to attend the MBS program in the fall... it would be nice to get to know future classmates!

RubicStorm, thanks for the advice! Would you by any chance have a schedule of the MBS curriculum? Also, what do graduates of the MBS program typically do during the gap year, aside from applying to Med school? Are students encouraged to apply for the MBS/MPH track?

i got into tuft's mbs this year

stats: mcat 29 (retaking later this year), overall gpa 3.2, science gpa 3.1, non-science gpa 3.4, last 2 years of undergrad gpa 3.6 (if that helps with anything)
i have a lot of clinical experience, probably at least 500 hours of voluteering in the ER, interning in med/surg/tele and ICU, and shadowing ER docs
and 4 letters of rec, one from an ER doc, 1 from my P.I. in my research lab, 1 from a psych prof and 1 from a cell bio prof

also got into boston's MAMS, and georgetown's smp

waitlisted for Cincinnati's smp and evms
waiting for Temple ACMS

so, if anyone can help me, i have trouble deciding on which one to go to =P. if you had my choices, which one would you go to (or still wait for) and why?

thank you

i got into tuft's mbs this year

stats: mcat 29 (retaking later this year), overall gpa 3.2, science gpa 3.1, non-science gpa 3.4, last 2 years of undergrad gpa 3.6 (if that helps with anything)
i have a lot of clinical experience, probably at least 500 hours of voluteering in the ER, interning in med/surg/tele and ICU, and shadowing ER docs
and 4 letters of rec, one from an ER doc, 1 from my P.I. in my research lab, 1 from a psych prof and 1 from a cell bio prof

also got into boston's MAMS, and georgetown's smp

waitlisted for Cincinnati's smp and evms
waiting for Temple ACMS

so, if anyone can help me, i have trouble deciding on which one to go to =P. if you had my choices, which one would you go to (or still wait for) and why?

thank you

Hey hey! I applied to some of the programs you applied to as well, georgetown, temple and tufts (and submitting UC postbaccs and Cincinnati later). Waiting to hear from them all. Somehow I really like Tufts b/c it's in a good location, next to Chinatown, so it's really easy to get food. I don't know, daily living convenience is my concern since will be living w/t a car. Though prob. should worry about other things, but I think daily living-wise, tufts is the best. Well, med school wise, I am not so sure. Tufts is also for pre-dent as well...so in case i wanna switch to dental school, that also works...lol. Anyways, I don't think I am using normal logic in deciding which one to go to, but I have yet to see. Boston is very cold.

What was your cGPA and SMP GPA? How many of your class received interviews/acceptances from Tufts med school?

My AMCAS was 3.4/3.0 and my SMP was 3.9 something. In the past, something like 60%+ of the class gets Tufts interview and over half of those will get acceptances, but I think the class size has expanded quite a bit.

RubicStorm, thanks for the advice! Would you by any chance have a schedule of the MBS curriculum? Also, what do graduates of the MBS program typically do during the gap year, aside from applying to Med school? Are students encouraged to apply for the MBS/MPH track?

Mhmm, I thought I posted my review, but apparently I didn't. Below is for the Tufts MBS, 2012-2013.

Here's a pretty good start for the classes: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=11101602&postcount=105

Med Foundations I:
Cell Bio, Immuno and Biochemistry - Starting classes. Overprepare as much as possible even if you studied/majored/worked in these areas. Biochemistry is probably the most time consuming first semester course. If you can nail the 1st exam, you'll be in good shape. 1st Genetics exam caught me off guard, but not because it was a hard course.

Tissue & Organ (histology) gets added for 2nd block exam. Do what the course director tells you to do, maybe attend a couple reviews and attend professor's in class conference, which is not recorded.

Microbiology and Immunology show up for exams III and IV (Genetics and Cell Bio are done at this point). Microbiology had open response questions worth 50% which some people didn't like. I did the practice questions in the syllabus pretty thoroughly which helped. There is a virus chart on MBS page for 2nd exam (Exam IV) which you also should memorize.

Immuno was fun. My only suggestion is to avoid the practice exams (it's from 2001 or so and really, really out of date) on the medical student page. Do take whatever is on the MBS page.

Post Med Foundations I:
You'll get 3 0.5 credit classes, Pharmacology, Nutrition, Clinical Medicine. Nutrition is probably the most straight forward and easiest. Everyone did well. Two things about Pharmacology: 1) First exam was a good deal tougher than the practice questions. 2) The medical school course director gave an amazing final exam review for the medical class, which was not livestreamed to our class. I found out from friends and watched it from the MS pharmacology TUSK page at 6 PM the day before exam. Saved my bacon it did!

Clinical Medicine was... well... interesting. There are still kinks to work out I think. I studied it like Biochem and Histology and took lots of notes, which worked ok. I'd ask some of your early semester I TAs what they did for this one if you want an A.

Electives for Semester II: My recommendation would be to take ethics or gait analysis. Both fill up quick so don't delay.

Semester II has the core biggies: Physio, Pathology and Anatomy. Tougher content (I thought), but slightly more generous grading. Do well in Med I and you'll probably do equally well in these courses.

I think most of us worked during the gap year, i.e. lab/clinical research, tutoring etc. Your advisor can give you ideas on how to best improve your application during that time. Can't really comment on the MPH or the MBA hybrids.

Hi RubicStorm, are the Professors that teach the classes part of the medical school admissions committee and are med schools aware of this program? (compared to Gtown or BU)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey hey! I applied to some of the programs you applied to as well, georgetown, temple and tufts (and submitting UC postbaccs and Cincinnati later). Waiting to hear from them all. Somehow I really like Tufts b/c it's in a good location, next to Chinatown, so it's really easy to get food. I don't know, daily living convenience is my concern since will be living w/t a car. Though prob. should worry about other things, but I think daily living-wise, tufts is the best. Well, med school wise, I am not so sure. Tufts is also for pre-dent as well...so in case i wanna switch to dental school, that also works...lol. Anyways, I don't think I am using normal logic in deciding which one to go to, but I have yet to see. Boston is very cold.

great! thanks for your input! I really appreciate it =)
still haven't decided yet, but working on it =P

Hi RubicStorm, are the Professors that teach the classes part of the medical school admissions committee and are med schools aware of this program? (compared to Gtown or BU)

Some of the professors are on the admissions committee. You've hit the jack pot if you get one of them as your academic mentor. Some lecturers are interviewers for the med school. Other medical schools are definitely aware of this program especially the state schools. If your goal is a US MD school, this program is a solid choice. If you're aiming for a specific school... then you'll need to do more research on your own.

My only concern for the future is that the class size is 100+ now. One of the reasons I chose this program was it was smaller compared to say Georgetown and BU.

Some of the professors be on the admissions committee. You've hit the jack pot if you get one of them as yer academic mentor. Some lecturers be interviewers for the med school. Other medical schools be definitely aware of this program especially the state schools. If yer goal be a US MD school, this program be a solid choice. If yar be aimin' for a specific school... then you'll need to do more research on yer own.

My only concern for the future be that the class size be 100+ now. One of the reasons me chose this program was it was smaller compared to say Georgetown and BU.

RubicStorm, r academic mentors randomly assigned or do you get to choose?

RubicStorm, r academic mentors randomly assigned or do you get to choose?

Auto-assigned. I didn't make much use of mine tbh. Just met a few times and asked for a letter. From what I've heard, they are very helpful if you do need them though.

PS: Everything I write sounds utterly ridiculous thanks to the forum. Nice!

Thanks! I was wondering why every comment comes out with a grammatical Jamaican accent after submitting... Ridiculous!

Hi guys! Just checked and saw the word "Congratulations!" on the decision link. Is there a FB group yet?

Last edited:
Hi guys! Just got checked and saw the word "Congratulations!" on the decision link. Is there a FB group yet?
Congrats! When were you complete by? I was comple 2/25/14 so I hope I hear back soon.

Congrats! When were you complete by? I was comple 2/25/14 so I hope I hear back soon.

I was complete by 2/19/14 but my application was missing an "additional comment" information for one of the questions and they notified me via email to complete it around 3/10/14 and I finished it that day. According to Hannah at admissions, my application was sent to be reviewed on 3/14/14 and I was notified online today 4/4/14 (I have been checking religiously everyday so I know this for sure). I would call them just to make sure if they need any additional information. When I checked online after I submitted my application, I saw that everything was "received" and so I had no idea there was something missing in my application until they emailed me.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Auto-assigned. I didn't make much use of mine tbh. Just met a few times and asked for a letter. From what I've heard, they are very helpful if you do need them though.

PS: Everything I write sounds utterly ridiculous thanks to the forum. Nice!

I have a question for you... Did you do literature-based thesis or laboratory-based thesis and which would you recommend?

I was complete by 2/19/14 but my application was missing an "additional comment" information for one of the questions and they notified me via email to complete it around 3/10/14 and I finished it that day. According to Hannah at admissions, my application was sent to be reviewed on 3/14/14 and I was notified online today 4/4/14 (I have been checking religiously everyday so I know this for sure). I would call them just to make sure if they need any additional information. When I checked online after I submitted my application, I saw that everything was "received" and so I had no idea there was something missing in my application until they emailed me.

Hope this helps!

Hello,

So on the page where you log in, does it actually say "COMPLETE"? B/c on my page, after I click into it, it just says everything is "received" for each item. But nowhere on the page indicates a "Complete" but I assume it is b/c everything is "received."

Thanks!

Hello,

So on the page where you log in, does it actually say "COMPLETE"? B/c on my page, after I click into it, it just says everything is "received" for each item. But nowhere on the page indicates a "Complete" but I assume it is b/c everything is "received."

Thanks!

No, mine just said "received" for everything too. When I say "complete," I meant when everything was received.
Hope this helps and good luck!

I have a question for you... Did you do literature-based thesis or laboratory-based thesis and which would you recommend?

Lit-basic sciences... wanted it done quicker since I did research elsewhere already.

Just found out I was waitlisted! I was complete first week of March. Does anyone know what portion is accepted off the waitlist and how often it occurs?
Im waitlisted too. I called to talk to the director of admissions to see how I could get an acceptance, but she was away from her phone.

Just found out I was waitlisted! I was complete first week of March. Does anyone know what portion is accepted off the waitlist and how often it occurs?

Do you mind sharing your stats? I applied here too but haven't heard back. I am anxious and am wondering about my chances.

Im waitlisted too. I called to talk to the director of admissions to see how I could get an acceptance, but she was away from her phone.

Do you mind sharing your stats? Also, when was your application complete?

Hey guys! I was informed by Emily today that my application was finally complete. Although the deadline is July 15th, I hope my application wasnt too late. Does anyone mind sharing the turnover time between completing their app and being accepted! Thanks.

Hey guys! I was informed by Emily today that my application was finally complete. Although the deadline is July 15th, I hope my application wasnt too late. Does anyone mind sharing the turnover time between completing their app and being accepted! Thanks.

Hey, I was accepted within 3 weeks of being completed. Good luck!

Btw does anyone know how this program has worked out for Pre-Dent students? Didnt see any Pre-Dent candidates posting for this years cycle lol.

Hey, I was accepted within 3 weeks of being completed. Good luck!

Thanks for the response diaz0188, really appreciate it. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Lit-basic sciences... wanted it done quicker since I did research elsewhere already.

Thank you. If I have no publications but still have two years of experience volunteering as a research assistant, would you recommend laboratory-based? When were you done with your thesis and how much longer does it take to do a lab-based one? I'm sorry if I'm bothering you too much.

Just got my acceptance, just under a month turn around time

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you. If I have no publications but still have two years of experience volunteering as a research assistant, would you recommend laboratory-based? When were you done with your thesis and how much
longer does it take to do a lab-based one? I'm sorry if I'm bothering you too much.

The lit basic science one can be finished by the end your classes/summer so you don't have to pay a continuation fee (~1 grand). But I also know people who did the literature to complete graduation requirement while doing actual benchtop research on campus under another faculty. No reason to pay the school $$$ to do research for them if you can avoid it. Does take a little more work.

The lit basic science one can be finished by the end your classes/summer so you don't have to pay a continuation fee (~1 grand). But I also know people who did the literature to complete graduation requirement while doing actual benchtop research on campus under another faculty. No reason to pay the school $$$ to do research for them if you can avoid it. Does take a little more work.

Ah good point! Thank you.

Its not too late to apply here is it? Also, anyone have any luck using letters from interfolio instead of registering recommenders?

Its not too late to apply here is it? Also, anyone have any luck using letters from interfolio instead of registering recommenders?
Well according to last year's forum probably not too late but I would call them to see how many seats are left maybe?

I used interfolio and it worked out all right for me. I had the letters emailed to [email protected]. Doing it any other way would have been a headache.

Has anybody started looking for housing yet? Most places in Boston seem to rent out on September 1st but that's not gonna workout for us in the MBS program since class starts in August

I used interfolio and it worked out all right for me. I had the letters emailed to [email protected]. Doing it any other way would have been a headache.

Has anybody started looking for housing yet? Most places in Boston seem to rent out on September 1st but that's not gonna workout for us in the MBS program since class starts in August
I am looking and very discouraged....

Hello! Can someone who successfully applied to medical after or during this program explain to me their timeline of doing so?

So Tufts is 2 years, did you apply between the years? After? Was there a gap year between Tufts and med school. I've been accepted and I'm very hesitant about where to attend.

Hello! Can someone who successfully applied to medical after or during this program explain to me their timeline of doing so?

So Tufts is 2 years, did you apply between the years? After? Was there a gap year between Tufts and med school. I've been accepted and I'm very hesitant about where to attend.

The MBS program follows a one year curriculum culminating with a thesis at the end of the summer. From what I have read, most students apply during the summer in which they are working on the thesis so that all of the MBS grades will be available for the AMCAS app. However, there are a few students that decide to apply to Med school during the MBS program for the following academic year... Typically these students already have an excellent undergraduate GPA and simply only need a boost in some other aspect of their application (i.e. MCAT scores), which can be worked on in the summer prior to the MBS program... I hope this helps! :)

PS. If you decide to attend, make sure to like the Tufts MBS 2014-2015 fb page!

Does anyone know what the best way to look for housing is besides craigslist? I went to the school website but it was kind of useless...

Guys, I have to chose between this program and Drexel IMS and I have 2 days. :nailbiting:

Does anyone know how many pre-dental get accepted into any dental school from this program? Also, how many pre-dents are usually in a tufts class?

Hi guys! Just submitted my deposit. If we received the deposit received email, does that mean we're good? Do we receive any other communication after?

Last edited: