Tufts MBS program in 1 year??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

erythrocyte666

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So from an old SDN post, I saw that you can get some certificate by just taking classes in 1 year OR you can do classes and a thesis to get the MBS; the MPH would need 2 years of classes and thesis.
Is it worth it for me to do the 1-year program in my single gap year? I wouldn't really be doing it for a GPA boost (3.7+ at top 30). Most importantly, would it mean anything in terms of med school admission? Also, would it give me any free time during the gap year to pursue some of my hobbies (one of my reasons for taking a gap year)?

My alternative was to do a 1-year MS in chemistry at my university during the gap year, which would help me further my research credentials for potential MD/PhD.

Members don't see this ad.

The purpose of these programs is to convince medical schools that you can handle the rigors of their pre-clinical curriculum; therefore these programs are meant for applicants with lower than ideal GPAs. In your case, because that isn't your weakness, I don't think you'll get much out of these programs during your single gap year because when you start applying, you will not have started the program, and you'll likely be interviewing long before anything resembling final grades emerge. If anything, these programs will not only interfere with your ability to prepare for and travel to interviews, but also put you further back in debt (significantly), and if you're accepted to a med school during the gap year, those schools usually expect you to finish your program.

I think it would be more beneficial for you to just find a job somewhere, or even do volunteer research or something. Those options will either make you money or not cost you money. A one year master's will only set you back financially while giving you almost nothing in return.

Everything that I just said only applies if you're adamant about taking only a single gap year.