Tufts MBS vs Drexel IMS vs UNT M.S. in Med Sci

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

davidb25

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm having a really hard time choosing between these 3 SMP's.

Can anybody with experience with any of these programs chime in as to their success?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I forgot to mention, I have a 3.0 cum, 3.0 sGPA, 31 (11/11/9) MCAT and I'm a Texas resident.

Members don't see this ad :)

Lol im pretty sure he was asking for reasons.

But, I would say, if you can't decide between SMP's then look at the cost (since differences between reputable SMP's are few )

Since you are from texas, I'd assume that's where you'd save the most money.

Last edited:
Lol im pretty sure he was asking for reasons.

But, I would say, if you can't decide between SMP's then look at the cost (since differences between reputable SMP's are few )

Since you are from texas, I'd assume that's where you'd save the most money.

Lol sry I was going to add more. But I agree with what you said. I think TCOM is one of the best DO schools so u have the option of going there or reapplying to the MD tx schools
Not a bad deal at all.

I don't plan on going D.O.

I'm planning on doing well at whichever SMP I attend and applying to schools in-state and out of state.

It seems Drexel is a 2 year program, while Tufts is a 1 year that requires a thesis? Also, I have a friend that went to the UNT program with a 27 MCAT and completed it without getting an acceptance anywhere.

I don't plan on going D.O.

I'm planning on doing well at whichever SMP I attend and applying to schools in-state and out of state.

It seems Drexel is a 2 year program, while Tufts is a 1 year that requires a thesis? Also, I have a friend that went to the UNT program with a 27 MCAT and completed it without getting an acceptance anywhere.

Drexel IMS is a 1 year certificate program. You have choice of getting into the second year MMS program which is a masters program.

As for your friend.. They should have retaken it to get 30+ MCAT if they wanted a shot at med school after the program. Its not the smps fault

Edit: I did not realize UNT was a DO program. I agree that this might not be the best idea if your goal is MD

Last edited:
Truthfully, there is limited success from a DO SMP for getting into MD. While it isn't impossible, it isn't the best.

I would do Drexel IMS for MD schools. Tuft's only interviews a few of their own and don't release stats of who gets in. Drexel IMS interviews after a certain cut off. Neither offers guaranteed anything, but Drexel IMS seems to offer most possibility of their own medical school.

Here's a little guide for those of you willing to help me come to a decision:

My goal is to apply to schools both in-state and out of state, with a preference for in-state. I am a Texas resident, URM. I'm a Boston University grad double major in biology and economics. I've taken two years post-bac at UTSA, to improve my GPA and I now sit at 3.0 cGPA, 3.0 sGPA, 31 (11/11/9). It is my goal to start med-school ASAP, these two years at UTSA have felt like gap-years with my new motivation/study habits and the easy courses.

UNTHSC Masters in Medical Sciences:
Time: Summer 14 -Spring 15
Total Cost (Tuition Only): $5,624
No thesis

Tufts MBS:
Time: Fall 14-Spring 16
Cost (tuition only): $39,862
Thesis Required.

Drexel IMS/MS:
Time: Fall 14- Spring 16
Cost (tuition only:) $28,000 for the IMS year ; 20,000 for the MS year. 48,000 total.
Non-research thesis required.

It seems UNT is the best choice, but my concern is rocking the program and getting no acceptances to MD schools. UNT also seems to be the most time-saving option.