Tufts or BU?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pushkin

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what the major differences are between these two schools? They're both in Boston, both part of big private universities, both offer combined MD-MPH degrees (which I'm interested in), they seem to have similar average stats. I'm trying to decide which one to apply to, so what things should I be looking at?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

They're not too different. Tufts is really expensive and gives crappy financial aid. If you max out loans, payments will near half a million for your payback. Check to see if they pay for your md-phd. A lot of places will pay for you to do the mstp, don't pay to be a b*tch.

BU has the boston medical center, a level 1 trauma center, and tufts uses the New england medical center which is not. Tufts has a history of being more research oriented (but BU just got a huge grant from the NIH and "might" be building a level 4 lab if it gets over the hangups with the city not liking the idea) BU has a history of training good clinical doctors in contrast to academia. Both are really expensive.

Members don't see this ad :)
finnpipette said:
They're not too different. Tufts is really expensive and gives crappy financial aid. If you max out loans, payments will near half a million for your payback. Check to see if they pay for your md-phd. A lot of places will pay for you to do the mstp, don't pay to be a b*tch.
bu doesn't have a mstp program. cross it off your list if you are interested in research and can afford to be picky.

unfortunately, as mstp programs are generally more difficulty to get in than regular md/phd programs, not everyone has that choice.

if you get into any mstp program, you are guaranteed funding.

Hey thanks for the comments. Actually, I am interested in the MD-MPH degree (public health, that is), not the MD-PhD. I can't get a sense for which one would be better as far as public health though.

pushkin said:
Hey thanks for the comments. Actually, I am interested in the MD-MPH degree (public health, that is), not the MD-PhD. I can't get a sense for which one would be better as far as public health though.
Sounds like MPH is what you want.

Oh, I know the MPH is the right degree for public health. Which of the two schools is stronger that way is what I meant. :laugh:

I think they both cost to much.

Why not apply to both? I actually held acceptances to both schools and had a hard time deciding. They are similar in many ways. I think Tufts is a gentler school, while BU is hardcore, exposing you to medicine more.
Either school is fine.

I'm currently at Tufts and have gone to a few of the MPH rounds they hold here - the MPH program at the school is especially good, with emphasis on community health. The program has workshops with MBA students as well (since a lot of the topics overlap) and I know the new director was the CEO of Tufts Health Plan (the HMO if you're not from the area). And no, if you max out on loans, you will probably come out with $350,000 in debt, not $500,000 - which is still a lot if you add in undergrad loans and such. But how much more is BU? BU definitely has a better trauma center, probably 'cause it's next to Dorchestor and all crime-ridden south part of the city. Both schools have great research as well and opportunities (including funding) to do it. Don't worry about cash either. If we wanted money, we'd be i-bankers and venture capitalists rather than future doctors. Good luck!

Did the OP edit this post during the discussion? I saw MD-MPH the first time I read the thread and half of the thread has been discussing MSTP programs and the other half has been deciding that MPH is the right degree for public health. Anyway, if you have to choose one, I would pick BU, but I hear they both gouge you on the finances.

My acceptance package says BU raised the tuition a little. It is still cheaper than Tufts though, in any case I dont understand the tuition arguments on this board because almost all the private schools in the country are over 34k when you include fees. I think both the schools are equal in rep. From meeting students at both, it seems there is a bit of rivalry between the two.

Pick BU. If you do, I'll see you in the fall.

I'd go with Tufts. Nicer facilities, better curriculum, location, and it's on the subway line. BU might be a little better for clinicals, but they spend too much time in lecture the first 2 years

kingcer0x said:
My acceptance package says BU raised the tuition a little. It is still cheaper than Tufts though, in any case I dont understand the tuition arguments on this board because almost all the private schools in the country are over 34k when you include fees. I think both the schools are equal in rep. From meeting students at both, it seems there is a bit of rivalry between the two.

Pick BU. If you do, I'll see you in the fall.

correct me if im wrong but isnt the MS3 budget for BU a sliver under 70k? I'd say thats a tuition to argue about.

exmike said:
correct me if im wrong but isnt the MS3 budget for BU a sliver under 70k? I'd say thats a tuition to argue about.

both schools are tremendously expensive. the difference between these schools and others is that they provide no scholarship money (or very little). it isn't that BU or Tuft's tuitions are higher to begin with (although they are a little higher) but it is the ultimate debt that is the major issue.

so say their tution is 60k...if you don't have the 60k, you may have to take out loans for all of it. at many other schools, they give you a base amount of loans in your fin. aid package and then if you don't have the rest (or your FAFSA says your parents don't) they will split some of the difference with you (scholarship). so if you didn't have any money, maybe you would be asked to take out 40k in loans...which is a pretty big difference!

if you want md/mph, i would try to find one of the schools with better fin. aid budgets! you would be paying for five years instead of four...of course, ignore this if finances aren't an issue for you.

good luck!