Tufts University MBS 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boston_med

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think it is time to make a class thread as the masters program application cycle begins.

I'm a current MBS student in my thesis (second) year; I've been accepted and will most likely be matriculating into the Tufts MD Class of 2020; and I've lived in Boston for almost a decade - so I thought I'd be a decent person to field any questions or concerns you applicants have about Tufts and the MBS program, living in Boston, etc.

This isn't my main account so I apologize if it takes a while for me to get back to anyone.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Congrats on the acceptance. I had a question regarding the acceptance rate of those in the postbacc that end up in the med school there, do you have any idea approximately what it might be?

Congrats on the acceptance. I had a question regarding the acceptance rate of those in the postbacc that end up in the med school there, do you have any idea approximately what it might be?

From the MBS website: 85% get into medical school, 72% invited for interview at Tufts, 35% get into Tufts.
http://publichealth.tufts.edu/Academics/MBS-Microsite

A list of programs our students have been accepted to: http://publichealth.tufts.edu/~/media/PHPD/PHPD PDFs/Academics/Professional Schools MBS Students Have Been Accepted To.pdf

Members don't see this ad :)
From the MBS website: 85% get into medical school, 72% invited for interview at Tufts, 35% get into Tufts.
http://publichealth.tufts.edu/Academics/MBS-Microsite

A list of programs our students have been accepted to: http://publichealth.tufts.edu/~/media/PHPD/PHPD PDFs/Academics/Professional Schools MBS Students Have Been Accepted To.pdf

The 72% figure, is that per class year, or in terms of all the students that have come through the program so far? I mean, I know if it's in terms of all students, that's still a fairly accurate assessment of interviews extended each year, but there could have been way more interviews granted in the early years of the program as opposed to the most recent years. Just curious.

Also, what were your stats coming in to the MBS program? Did you retake MCAT or improve your GPA in anyway before applying to the medical school?

Thanks!

The 72% figure, is that per class year, or in terms of all the students that have come through the program so far? I mean, I know if it's in terms of all students, that's still a fairly accurate assessment of interviews extended each year, but there could have been way more interviews granted in the early years of the program as opposed to the most recent years. Just curious.

Also, what were your stats coming in to the MBS program? Did you retake MCAT or improve your GPA in anyway before applying to the medical school?

Thanks!
I think it is cumulative/total years.

My stats going into the program were 3.0-3.3 s/cGPA and a mid twenties MCAT. I retook the MCAT (2015) right after spring semester of the MBS program and applied to med school with a 3.7+ SMP GPA and a 90th+% MCAT which is, anecdotally, what I would say is the benchmark for SMP students with success. Many people received interviews to Tufts med that we in the 3.5-3.6+ SMP GPA range.

This is my personal opinion, but I also want to encourage people to apply after a full year of the SMP. It seems challenging for many SMP students to get accepted after only one semester of an SMP program.

Anyone have thoughts on applying for this program as a pre-dental? It seems most students applying are pre-med. I already took my DATs but my GPA/academic profile needs some work. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Anyone have thoughts on applying for this program as a pre-dental? It seems most students applying are pre-med. I already took my DATs but my GPA/academic profile needs some work. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

There were a few people in my class that were pre-dent, it seems solid for that route but I can't speak too much on it. Tufts has a decent dental school and the Boston area has a ton of opportunities.

Reactions: 1 user
I have 3.3~3.4 c/sGPA and I don't have an MCAT score yet. I am debating between applying with January MCAT and April MCAT score because I don't feel confident about taking an MCAT in January. However, I am worried that applying too late in the cycle would weaken my chance of getting into the program. What would you recommend between the two?

I have 3.3~3.4 c/sGPA and I don't have an MCAT score yet. I am debating between applying with January MCAT and April MCAT score because I don't feel confident about taking an MCAT in January. However, I am worried that applying too late in the cycle would weaken my chance of getting into the program. What would you recommend between the two?
I think rushing the MCAT is the worse decision you can make. I'd take the April one, hope that you can enter an SMP but plan for a gap year

Hi guys, is this a proper place to ask for "what are my chances" type questions? If so, I'd like to list my stats and get your feedback. I'm thinking of applying to the Tufts MBS program, as its close to home, and has a good research program.

I'm seriously considering to go here (if I get in) but I was wondering how friendly they are to OOS? Thanks

I am currently finishing up a thesis based masters degree at another institution. I was wondering if anyone knew the likelihood that they would accept me while I am finishing up the thesis portion of my degree. It seems doable, since my timeline for my thesis is about a year starting this upcoming summer. Additionally, I would not be concurrently taking courses at the institution I am at during the MBS year so I would be able to fully dedicate most of my time to the program. Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks!

$$$....why not just apply with the Masters you are about to finish?

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to the Tufts MBS program for Fall 2016. I was wondering how common it is for people in the Tufts MBS program to apply to MD programs while doing the MBS. Thank you in advance.

I applied to the Tufts MBS program for Fall 2016. I was wondering how common it is for people in the Tufts MBS program to apply to MD programs while doing the MBS. Thank you in advance.
Some people do. But the rule of thumb is that if you are already a borderline applicant for MD programs (3.3/33) then a strong first semester (3.8+) will break that border. I always lean on the side of completing the whole academic first year (and acing it) before applying.

Would applying to this program after my April MCAT date be too late because it's rolling admission? I'm kinda bummed out that I'm not ready for the Jan. date because everything in my application is ready except for my MCAT score.

Would applying to this program after my April MCAT date be too late because it's rolling admission? I'm kinda bummed out that I'm not ready for the Jan. date because everything in my application is ready except for my MCAT score.
Call the MBS office and ask!

Take the GRE. They say they "prefer" the MCAT, but that the GRE is acceptable if you are not ready to take the MCAT. I am taking the GRE because it's something I can take much more quickly, and plus, I do NOT want to have a decent/poor MCAT on AMCAS just because I needed to get into an SMP. That would be completely counterproductive.

Just got my acceptance to Tufts!

I had a quick question about the program. It was my understanding in applying that it was a one year program. Why did you state, boston_med, that the thesis year was your second year?

Thanks! :)

I also just got my acceptance to Tufts! I'm also curious about the second year thesis question... I assumed you had to do the program in one year?

Congrats @wadels and @softballNRG ! Would you guys mind sharing when you were complete? Or how long it took for you to hear back?

Congrats @wadels and @softballNRG ! Would you guys mind sharing when you were complete? Or how long it took for you to hear back?
Tufts emailed in on 11.18 saying that my file was complete, but they also said that their admissions committee wouldn't begin reviewing applications until January. However, applications were reviewed on a first come, first served basis.

Great! Thanks for sharing. I was complete back in mid-December so I guess I'm little further down the line. :)

Would accepted students mind sharing their stats?

I was complete on 11/16 and accepted yesterday. So it took a couple of months! In terms of stats, I'm 3.1 uGPA, 3.3 sGPA, and I entered my GRE scores, no MCAT yet. Very excited about this, but still waiting to hear from BU MAMS!

I'm taking the GRE in a couple weeks, should I wait to submit my application after I take the test or can I submit it now and just send the scores after?

I had a quick question about the program. It was my understanding in applying that it was a one year program. Why did you state, boston_med, that the thesis year was your second year?

Sorry to highjack this post, but I thought I might be able to help out! I can't answer for boston_med, but I am a current mbs student and can tell you the general timing of the program.

The MBS program is one year of classwork from late August to late May of the next year. After completing your classwork you must complete your thesis. This can be done in multiple ways. If you choose to do a literature thesis (library research, not lab research) you can finish this on your own timeline. Thus, it can be completed during the summer or however long it takes you. If you were to be accepted to medical school while taking your MBS classes, you would have to complete the thesis over the summer in order to start medical school on time that fall.

Many students, however, choose to do lab research either because it interests them or because it adds to their resume. Lab research is considered a 6 month minimum commitment, with many extending to a year. This is what makes the MBS program a two-year program. So for example, I'm taking classes during the 2015-2016 school year, but because I am going to do a lab thesis I will not be finished with the program until 2017.

Hopefully that makes sense!

I am currently finishing up a thesis based masters degree at another institution. I was wondering if anyone knew the likelihood that they would accept me while I am finishing up the thesis portion of my degree. It seems doable, since my timeline for my thesis is about a year starting this upcoming summer. Additionally, I would not be concurrently taking courses at the institution I am at during the MBS year so I would be able to fully dedicate most of my time to the program. Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks!

Hi! I'm not sure if you're still looking for an answer to this question, but I thought I might add some input. I'm a current MBS student.

I can't really speak to whether or not the MBS program would accept you while finishing up another agree. For that, I'd recommend calling their office (they're very helpful!).

However, assuming that they do accept you - make sure to consider the amount of time you will have to spend on your thesis. The MBS program (as you know) mirrors the medical school curriculum in difficulty and pace, especially the first semester. We were told at the beginning of the year that they do not recommend anyone spend more than 10 hours a week on work/extracurriculars outside of the program. Most of the students I know in the program do not do anything outside of it, or only spend a couple of hours a week volunteering.

This is not to discourage you from applying. I'm not sure of your background/how comfortable you will be with this coursework and I don't know how much time you have to dedicate to your thesis. Just wanted to add some insight since I know it's hard to gauge how much time you have to work with once you're in the program!

Submitting my application this weekend! Hoping for some love from Tufts!

I also just got my acceptance to Tufts! I'm also curious about the second year thesis question... I assumed you had to do the program in one year?

It is possible to do a literature thesis the summer after classes end. A pain in the butt and may make your summer stink if you have to take the MCAT again but doable. Doing a literature/lab thesis the second year is more common. Personally, I studied and took the MCAT in the summer, applied to med school, and have been doing a literature thesis over the fall and winter while working full time.

Hi! I've been accepted to BU MAMS and Tufts MBS and am currently deciding between the two. I'd like to hear any advice on one program vs the other. I get the feeling that BU has better advising but Tufts is more successful, statistically, in getting people into medical schools. Some specific questions I have are 1. What are the class sizes like at Tufts? I think there are about 120 students in the program, but are classes broken up in smaller groups? 2. What is the grading like? How difficult is it to do well in the program? 3. What is the advising like? 4. It seems like there are a lot of required core classes-how many classes do you take at once? Is the curriculum taught in blocks? 5. Would you advise taking the MCAT immediately before entering the program (late July 2016) or the summer after the program if I'm planning to apply to med school after completing the program? I'm nervous about studying for the MCAT during the program but also think the program might better prepare me for the MCAT. 6. Are students that don't get into Tufts successful in getting into other schools? Thanks so much for your help!!

Hi! I've been accepted to BU MAMS and Tufts MBS and am currently deciding between the two. I'd like to hear any advice on one program vs the other. I get the feeling that BU has better advising but Tufts is more successful, statistically, in getting people into medical schools. Some specific questions I have are 1. What are the class sizes like at Tufts? I think there are about 120 students in the program, but are classes broken up in smaller groups? 2. What is the grading like? How difficult is it to do well in the program? 3. What is the advising like? 4. It seems like there are a lot of required core classes-how many classes do you take at once? Is the curriculum taught in blocks? 5. Would you advise taking the MCAT immediately before entering the program (late July 2016) or the summer after the program if I'm planning to apply to med school after completing the program? I'm nervous about studying for the MCAT during the program but also think the program might better prepare me for the MCAT. 6. Are students that don't get into Tufts successful in getting into other schools? Thanks so much for your help!!

I was choosing between the same two programs - it's a tough choice to make. They're both great programs (so many you can't go wrong!), but obviously I can only really share my experience at Tufts. To answer your questions...

1. I can't remember the exact number of students in our class but I do think it's around 120. We are not broken up into smaller groups. Our main lectures take place in one lecture hall with all of us together. Occasionally classes have "conferences" which are when you meet with a much smaller group of students to discuss a topic that has been challenging for students to grasp in the past. This is the same as how the medical students have their classes. It might seem like a lot of students but often it doesn't feel like it. First because some students don't go to class since all of them are video-recorded, and second because the professors are often willing to take questions during class and always stay afterwards to answer questions.

2. Grading is scaled. For example, I think an 88-94 is an A whereas that would normally be a B+/A-. It's the same for every class and I believe it's the same scale as the medical students, though they are also pass/fail and we are not. Note that this is NOT a curve. You are NOT being graded against your peers in this program, which I absolutely love because it means we aren't competing with one another. This is something the MBS staff really emphasize and the students, in my experience, really take to heart. We ALL help each other and share resources. As far as difficulty, that's hard for me to judge because it varies between people. There are students who fail tests, students who get 4.0s, and a bunch of people in between. The program provides us with a lot of resources to support our learning. So far, I haven't found the material any more difficult than in undergrad, but the AMOUNT of material is much greater. Honestly I think 99% of this program is how much time and effort you're willing to put in because the professors, TAs, and other students are really willing to help you understand any concepts you find challenging.

3. You are assigned an advisor when you start the program and will meet with that advisor at least a few times during the year, if not many more (up to you). Advising kind of depends on who you get. I have some friends who love their advisor, and others who are kind of so-so about them. However, several professors literally say during class that they don't want you to ever feel like you haven't been "advised" enough while in this program and they are absolutely willing to meet with you to give a second opinion on anything. I've had a pretty good experience with my advisor, but I also reached out to one of my professors for advice on something. It's not perfect but I haven't felt like there wasn't anyone to ask for advice from.

4. There are a lot of required classes! All but 1-2 classes are core classes. You won't be taking more than 4 courses at one time, but they are blocked like the medical students. So for example, I took 9 total classes last semester, but only 4 maximum at one time.

5. Boston_med would probably be better at answering this question. I'm not really the best with MCAT advice, honestly. I took the GRE before entering the program. You will have the option to take an MCAT class during the Spring semester (ends in late May) or right after classes (probably goes to mid-July). You have to way some pros and cons. If your grades are stellar first semester and you want the MCAT over with ASAP then you might take the Spring MCAT course if you're willing to let your grade potentially fall a little. Flipslide is taking the summer class and focusing on your grades in the Spring, but then you take the MCAT a little later. I have heard from friends that took the MCAT before entering the program (it seems like most students did) that it would've been helpful to have had the MBS classes before taking it, especially those that didn't major in biology/biochem.

6. Again, boston_med will probably be better at answering this one! I assume that they must be pretty successful because 87% get into medical school somewhere and 35% get into Tufts. Here's a list from their website of schools MBS students have been accepted to - http://publichealth.tufts.edu/~/med...chools MBS Students Have Been Accepted To.pdf

Reactions: 1 users
I was choosing between the same two programs - it's a tough choice to make. They're both great programs (so many you can't go wrong!), but obviously I can only really share my experience at Tufts. To answer your questions...

1. I can't remember the exact number of students in our class but I do think it's around 120. We are not broken up into smaller groups. Our main lectures take place in one lecture hall with all of us together. Occasionally classes have "conferences" which are when you meet with a much smaller group of students to discuss a topic that has been challenging for students to grasp in the past. This is the same as how the medical students have their classes. It might seem like a lot of students but often it doesn't feel like it. First because some students don't go to class since all of them are video-recorded, and second because the professors are often willing to take questions during class and always stay afterwards to answer questions.

2. Grading is scaled. For example, I think an 88-94 is an A whereas that would normally be a B+/A-. It's the same for every class and I believe it's the same scale as the medical students, though they are also pass/fail and we are not. Note that this is NOT a curve. You are NOT being graded against your peers in this program, which I absolutely love because it means we aren't competing with one another. This is something the MBS staff really emphasize and the students, in my experience, really take to heart. We ALL help each other and share resources. As far as difficulty, that's hard for me to judge because it varies between people. There are students who fail tests, students who get 4.0s, and a bunch of people in between. The program provides us with a lot of resources to support our learning. So far, I haven't found the material any more difficult than in undergrad, but the AMOUNT of material is much greater. Honestly I think 99% of this program is how much time and effort you're willing to put in because the professors, TAs, and other students are really willing to help you understand any concepts you find challenging.

3. You are assigned an advisor when you start the program and will meet with that advisor at least a few times during the year, if not many more (up to you). Advising kind of depends on who you get. I have some friends who love their advisor, and others who are kind of so-so about them. However, several professors literally say during class that they don't want you to ever feel like you haven't been "advised" enough while in this program and they are absolutely willing to meet with you to give a second opinion on anything. I've had a pretty good experience with my advisor, but I also reached out to one of my professors for advice on something. It's not perfect but I haven't felt like there wasn't anyone to ask for advice from.

4. There are a lot of required classes! All but 1-2 classes are core classes. You won't be taking more than 4 courses at one time, but they are blocked like the medical students. So for example, I took 9 total classes last semester, but only 4 maximum at one time.

5. Boston_med would probably be better at answering this question. I'm not really the best with MCAT advice, honestly. I took the GRE before entering the program. You will have the option to take an MCAT class during the Spring semester (ends in late May) or right after classes (probably goes to mid-July). You have to way some pros and cons. If your grades are stellar first semester and you want the MCAT over with ASAP then you might take the Spring MCAT course if you're willing to let your grade potentially fall a little. Flipslide is taking the summer class and focusing on your grades in the Spring, but then you take the MCAT a little later. I have heard from friends that took the MCAT before entering the program (it seems like most students did) that it would've been helpful to have had the MBS classes before taking it, especially those that didn't major in biology/biochem.

6. Again, boston_med will probably be better at answering this one! I assume that they must be pretty successful because 87% get into medical school somewhere and 35% get into Tufts. Here's a list from their website of schools MBS students have been accepted to - http://publichealth.tufts.edu/~/media/PHPD/PHPD PDFs/Academics/Professional Schools MBS Students Have Been Accepted To.pdf

Thanks so much for your detailed reply! Since you were deciding between Tufts and BU I'm curious if you could share what helped you make your final decision to attend Tufts? Also, do you have an idea of the average score on exams?

Thanks so much for your detailed reply! Since you were deciding between Tufts and BU I'm curious if you could share what helped you make your final decision to attend Tufts? Also, do you have an idea of the average score on exams?

No problem!

Hmmm. If I remember correctly the numbers seemed to work out for me that Tufts would be less expensive so that was part of it, but honestly I had a very close friend who had already been through the program. She had a positive experience and the program was successful for her, and I knew that I could rely on her for help if I needed advice on things (really turned out not to be necessary, there are plenty of former students who stick around campus for their theses and are willing to give advice alongside professors, advisors, etc.) I figured I would rather go to a program I KNEW had helped my friend rather than risking going to a different program on the advice of strangers. I realize this isn't helpful for you necessarily, and I know ultimately you have to make a choice, but I really have to say that I think if you want this badly enough and put in the work you will succeed in either program. If you can visit the schools, get a feel for them, and talk to students in person that could be really helpful.

The average score and level of difficulty varies between classes and tests. The lowest mean last semester I believe was around a 74% and the highest around an 88% (from about a B to an A scaled) - it seems like the majority of the students do VERY well. However, it's also true that every test had students who failed (scored below a 65%). I don't know the numbers of students. I will say that I genuinely believe if you put in a lot of time and effort into studying for your tests and balancing your studying between classes, and seek help when you need it, you won't fail. They do not select students for this program who they have doubts about succeeding - it's not in their best interest. Also, like anything, failing an exam does not mean you will fail the class. Before I started this program I thought it'd be crazy hard to succeed, but although the program is DEFINITELY challenging, it's clear many students do very well and they do well at the same courses and exams the medical students are taking. So that has to count for something, right?

@LA2693 has a done a good job covering all your questions.

For #4:

13/14 classes are core requirements and the 14th (in the spring) is an elective. Only one or two (depending on your elective) are mandatory attendance though. Every class except histology is recorded and frankly I did really well sticking to my own schedule and watching video lectures for many of my classes. The classes are awesome though. For the most part exactly as the MS1s and some MS2 curriculum. You learn a lot and it is exciting.

For #5:

My best advice is taking the MCAT when you are 100% ready. If you feel like you're rushing to take it just to complete it before the MBS program, then that is a poor idea. I have some friends that took it before the MBS year and did pretty well. I will say that I took it the summer after classes ended and my score went up significantly since my first test. IF you really excel and grow during the MBS program, the amount of study power, critical thinking, and test taking skill you have is off the charts. This, and the medical exposure you get, just primes you for the MCAT. I studied as well as I could for the MCAT during the second semester (getting through about 2/3 of the MCAT study content) then powered through 6 weeks of like 10hr/day study days for the MCAT and took it in June and it worked out perfectly. If you really dedicate yourself to studying, you can excel in both grades and MCAT prep. Side note: I signed up for the MCAT class but found the schedule to SUCK. So I got all the free materials and then made my own study schedule and learned myself without going to class.

As for your first remark, I got into both BU MAMS and Tufts MBS, so I made that decision as well. Here is why:
1) I went to BU undergrad. I loved the school (not knocking the university, I loved it) but felt that I was just an ant to the administration. Because I had a BU degree, I wanted to diversify with degrees from Boston institutions.
2) I visited and toured both med schools and masters program. Tufts is significant, to me, the most welcoming, kind, and caring community. It is why I picked it for med school! I love the tight knit and non competitive feel. Where as the BU program felt more cut throat. I wanted to be supported.
3) Location. Chinatown/downtown is awesome. It has gotten way more safe and you are a 2 minute walk to the common. Screw south mass ave (BU's campus).
4) Cost.

Last edited:

For #4:

8/9 classes are core requirements and the 9th (in the spring) is an elective. Only one or two (depending on your elective) are mandatory attendance though. Every class except histology is recorded and frankly I did really well sticking to my own schedule and watching video lectures for many of my classes. The classes are awesome though. For the most part exactly as the MS1s and some MS2 curriculum. You learn a lot and it is exciting.

For #5:

My best advice is taking the MCAT when you are 100% ready. If you feel like you're rushing to take it just to complete it before the MBS program, then that is a poor idea. I have some friends that took it before the MBS year and did pretty well. I will say that I took it the summer after classes ended and my score went up significantly since my first test. IF you really excel and grow during the MBS program, the amount of study power, critical thinking, and test taking skill you have is off the charts. This, and the medical exposure you get, just primes you for the MCAT. I studied as well as I could for the MCAT during the second semester (getting through about 2/3 of the MCAT study content) then powered through 6 weeks of like 10hr/day study days for the MCAT and took it in June and it worked out perfectly. If you really dedicate yourself to studying, you can excel in both grades and MCAT prep. Side note: I signed up for the MCAT class but found the schedule to SUCK. So I got all the free materials and then made my own study schedule and learned myself without going to class.

As for your first remark, I got into both BU MAMS and Tufts MBS, so I made that decision as well. Here is why:
1) I went to BU undergrad. I loved the school (not knocking the university, I loved it) but felt that I was just an ant to the administration. Because I had a BU degree, I wanted to diversify with degrees from Boston institutions.
2) I visited and toured both med schools and masters program. Tufts is significant, to me, the most welcoming, kind, and caring community. It is why I picked it for med school! I love the tight knit and non competitive feel. Where as the BU program felt more cut throat. I wanted to be supported.
3) Location. Chinatown/downtown is awesome. It has gotten way more safe and you are a 2 minute walk to the common. Screw south mass ave (BU's campus).
4) Cost.

May I ask you how you did on your MCAT before and after MBS?

For #4:

8/9 classes are core requirements and the 9th (in the spring) is an elective. Only one or two (depending on your elective) are mandatory attendance though. Every class except histology is recorded and frankly I did really well sticking to my own schedule and watching video lectures for many of my classes. The classes are awesome though. For the most part exactly as the MS1s and some MS2 curriculum. You learn a lot and it is exciting.

For #5:

4) Cost.

Thanks for the advice! I think I'm leaning pretty heavily toward Tufts.

Would accepted students mind sharing their stats?

Currently a senior at an Ivy with Cum: 3.38, BCPM: 3.02, A/O: 3.68, MCAT: 502, lots and lots of clinical experience, a little clinical research, lots of other volunteer work/leadership positions etc...

Good luck to anyone waiting to hear back!

I was complete on 11/16 and accepted yesterday. So it took a couple of months! In terms of stats, I'm 3.1 uGPA, 3.3 sGPA, and I entered my GRE scores, no MCAT yet. Very excited about this, but still waiting to hear from BU MAMS!

Just FYI the Committee didn't start reviewing applications till January (they did review in the order received) so you actually had a pretty quick turn around! :)

Are we still considered early for this cycle? It seems there is a lot more movement on these threads than in previous threads, where most people were coming along in April. Is this the first wave?

I've submitted my app but can't take a test until mid February. Do you think I'll still be in good shape?

Thanks!

Are we still considered early for this cycle? It seems there is a lot more movement on these threads than in previous threads, where most people were coming along in April. Is this the first wave?

I've submitted my app but can't take a test until mid February. Do you think I'll still be in good shape?

Thanks!

Since Tufts doesn't start its review until January this is definitely the first wave of acceptances, but the application has been open for a while and they review applications in the order they were received. I'd say applying in February would put you in the middle, not early. As the class starts to fill admissions become more competitive, but people can be accepted to these programs until the day before classes start so I wouldn't worry.

Any advice on the personal statement? Not sure if I should re-use my AMCAS personal statement or start from scratch.
Use parts of it to address "why medicine?" but make sure to address "why an SMP?" and "why tufts?"

Hey everyone, graduating BU MAMS student here. I'll be moving back to FL at the end of May and would be subletting my apartment for June-August (lease can be renewed by new tenant for the next academic year). It's a 2 bedroom apartment (current roomate is another MAMS student) in a gated community, 2 minutes walk away from BUMC, building laundry facilities, centrally located on a main street with lots of cafes and restaurants nearby, all buses to downtown/chinatown/Tufts can be caught right outside of the gates. PM for more info!

After much debate, I decided to go with UCincinnati's program rather than Tufts. I wish everyone here the best of luck and thank you all for all of your help!

I'm trying to decide between BU and Tufts. I visited both campuses but was only allowed an organized visit at BU. I met some students, had a tour, sat in on a class, and met with the director. At Tufts I was only able to speak with Admissions Counselor Gesen and see her office. Everything I've heard and the statistics tell me I should choose Tufts, but still I'm a little hesitant because I got such a great feeling at BU and didn't see enough to get a feeling at Tufts. Can anyone tell me what the facilities are like at Tufts? Are all the classes taught in the same building? I know you're set up with an advisor and that can be hit or miss but is there someone else who is knowledgable that students can go speak to? One big draw about MAMS is that the director, Dr. Offner, was extremely warm and helpful and I've heard she's always available to BU students and am wondering if there is someone similar at Tufts? I'd appreciate any thoughts. Thanks!

I'm trying to decide between BU and Tufts. I visited both campuses but was only allowed an organized visit at BU. I met some students, had a tour, sat in on a class, and met with the director. At Tufts I was only able to speak with Admissions Counselor Gesen and see her office. Everything I've heard and the statistics tell me I should choose Tufts, but still I'm a little hesitant because I got such a great feeling at BU and didn't see enough to get a feeling at Tufts. Can anyone tell me what the facilities are like at Tufts? Are all the classes taught in the same building? I know you're set up with an advisor and that can be hit or miss but is there someone else who is knowledgable that students can go speak to? One big draw about MAMS is that the director, Dr. Offner, was extremely warm and helpful and I've heard she's always available to BU students and am wondering if there is someone similar at Tufts? I'd appreciate any thoughts. Thanks!

Gosh - I'm sorry you didn't get to see more of Tufts! I don't blame you for being hesitant. Here's a little bit about the facilities:
-All our main lectures are taught in one lecture hall. Our conferences (occasional, smaller groups meant to go over more difficult material) and some electives take place in regular classrooms in the same building as the library.
-The library is part of a larger building that's connected to the hospital. The library itself has 4 floors. The first of the four has a cafeteria area, computers, microwaves, etc. and tables for eating, studying, and talking. The floors get progressively more quiet as you move higher up. Some of the floors also have study rooms available that you can either snag if they're open or book online if you have a group to study with. There's also a pseudo fifth floor of the library where some classes take place as well as tiny rooms for medschool applicants who are interviewing. When interviews aren't going on, you can also snag one of those.
-MBS students also have access to a lounge in a third building. It has computers, a TV, a couple study rooms, a fridge, microwave...I think maybe a Keurig and a couple other appliances (it has a little kitchenette).
-There's also a small gym on the bottom floor of the library building that we have access to, and I believe they also offer discounted passes to the YMCA if you need something bigger.

As far as advising beyond your advisor - there are three sort of "big shot" professors you'll meet in the first semester who are also majorly involved in running and coordinating the program. All three of them are honestly fantastic, no exaggeration. I've never met professors in the premed world who've cared about their students as much as these guys do. All of them consistently offer themselves up to give a second opinion when it's needed. One of them told us that he does not want us to leave this program feeling like we didn't get enough advice. So yes, there are definitely people to talk to outside of your main advisor.

There is one thing I do want to mention because I didn't know this when I started at Tufts. Especially in the first semester, we take the same classes as the medical students with the same professors. For some classes, there are different professors teaching different lectures. Some of these professors are actual, real practicing physicians and their time is limited. Thus, for certain lectures they live-stream them to our lecture hall from the lecture hall where the med students are taught. I was pretty annoyed with this honestly when I found out, but it ended up not bothering me. This is because they always have someone available to us in our lecture hall at the same time. After the lecture, that person was available for the next half hour to answer any of our questions about anything. I think this applies to all of Genetics, some Immunology, and some Pharmacology. For Immunology and Pharmacology, it was actually advantageous to have that person there for an extra half hour because they answered our questions but also went over what they thought were the most challenging concepts to make sure we understood them. For Immunology there was one professor who stayed in our classroom with us, and then the one teaching the class walked across the street to our lecture hall once he was done with the med students to make sure our questions were answered. So again, this ended up not being a problem for me, but it's another thing to consider.