Tufts University MBS 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Gosh - I'm sorry you didn't get to see more of Tufts! I don't blame you for being hesitant. Here's a little bit about the facilities:
-All our main lectures are taught in one lecture hall. Our conferences (occasional, smaller groups meant to go over more difficult material) and some electives take place in regular classrooms in the same building as the library.
-The library is part of a larger building that's connected to the hospital. The library itself has 4 floors. The first of the four has a cafeteria area, computers, microwaves, etc. and tables for eating, studying, and talking. The floors get progressively more quiet as you move higher up. Some of the floors also have study rooms available that you can either snag if they're open or book online if you have a group to study with. There's also a pseudo fifth floor of the library where some classes take place as well as tiny rooms for medschool applicants who are interviewing. When interviews aren't going on, you can also snag one of those.
-MBS students also have access to a lounge in a third building. It has computers, a TV, a couple study rooms, a fridge, microwave...I think maybe a Keurig and a couple other appliances (it has a little kitchenette).
-There's also a small gym on the bottom floor of the library building that we have access to, and I believe they also offer discounted passes to the YMCA if you need something bigger.

As far as advising beyond your advisor - there are three sort of "big shot" professors you'll meet in the first semester who are also majorly involved in running and coordinating the program. All three of them are honestly fantastic, no exaggeration. I've never met professors in the premed world who've cared about their students as much as these guys do. All of them consistently offer themselves up to give a second opinion when it's needed. One of them told us that he does not want us to leave this program feeling like we didn't get enough advice. So yes, there are definitely people to talk to outside of your main advisor.

There is one thing I do want to mention because I didn't know this when I started at Tufts. Especially in the first semester, we take the same classes as the medical students with the same professors. For some classes, there are different professors teaching different lectures. Some of these professors are actual, real practicing physicians and their time is limited. Thus, for certain lectures they live-stream them to our lecture hall from the lecture hall where the med students are taught. I was pretty annoyed with this honestly when I found out, but it ended up not bothering me. This is because they always have someone available to us in our lecture hall at the same time. After the lecture, that person was available for the next half hour to answer any of our questions about anything. I think this applies to all of Genetics, some Immunology, and some Pharmacology. For Immunology and Pharmacology, it was actually advantageous to have that person there for an extra half hour because they answered our questions but also went over what they thought were the most challenging concepts to make sure we understood them. For Immunology there was one professor who stayed in our classroom with us, and then the one teaching the class walked across the street to our lecture hall once he was done with the med students to make sure our questions were answered. So again, this ended up not being a problem for me, but it's another thing to consider.

Thanks for your description of the facilities! How often do you watch the live-stream instead of having a professor come teach in person? Are all lectures (including these live-streamed ones) recorded so you can re-watch?

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for your description of the facilities! How often do you watch the live-stream instead of having a professor come teach in person? Are all lectures (including these live-streamed ones) recorded so you can re-watch?

All of our Genetics lectures were live-streamed. I believe most of Immunology and Pharmacology were live-streamed, though I think some lectures were in person (having a hard time remembering). Also, every class has a review session before the test and those are usually live-streamed. The rest of the first semester classes (cell biology, histology, biochemistry, nutrition, intro to clinical medicine, microbiology) were in person. So far all of the second semester classes have been in person and I think it'll stay that way because our second semester schedule varies from the med student schedule, and we take electives.

All the lectures are recorded! The only thing I think might not be recorded is something called "interactive classroom" for Histology which is kind of like a lecture where the professor intersperses sample test questions with content to help our learning (there are other recorded histology lectures alongside this). It seems like most lectures are uploaded the same day or the next day after they are given. As a side note, every course has a TA who is either a grad student or a former MBS student and they hold weekly review sessions. Our first semester TA reviews were not recorded, but second semester they are because some electives run at the same time.

Reactions: 1 user
All of our Genetics lectures were live-streamed. I believe most of Immunology and Pharmacology were live-streamed, though I think some lectures were in person (having a hard time remembering). Also, every class has a review session before the test and those are usually live-streamed. The rest of the first semester classes (cell biology, histology, biochemistry, nutrition, intro to clinical medicine, microbiology) were in person. So far all of the second semester classes have been in person and I think it'll stay that way because our second semester schedule varies from the med student schedule, and we take electives.

All the lectures are recorded! The only thing I think might not be recorded is something called "interactive classroom" for Histology which is kind of like a lecture where the professor intersperses sample test questions with content to help our learning (there are other recorded histology lectures alongside this). It seems like most lectures are uploaded the same day or the next day after they are given. As a side note, every course has a TA who is either a grad student or a former MBS student and they hold weekly review sessions. Our first semester TA reviews were not recorded, but second semester they are because some electives run at the same time.

Thank you so much for all the information.
Was there a class or classes that you found particularly difficult?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks to everyone who's answered my many questions! I've decided on MBS and am super excited! Is anyone else sure they'll be at Tufts and want to make a Facebook group (I would but you need 2 people to do so)? :)

These questions were great! Gave me and I'm sure everyone else great insight into the programs. I too am applying for both Boston and Tufts but have to wait until March maybe April for a decision since I will be taking my GRE on the 20th

Where are most of the classes held? Like, what part of Boston? For those who are in the program, where would you recommend living?

Thank you so much for all the information.
Was there a class or classes that you found particularly difficult?

No problem!

Oh gosh, this may be a better question for boston_med since I haven't finished the program yet! I can say from first semester that Clinical Medicine was (shockingly) by FAR my hardest class. It seems like it should be really easy going into it so if you go to Tufts don't underestimate that one! Haha, but otherwise I think students had the hardest time with biochem (do not wait last minute to start memorizing pathways, there's too many to do that!). Some found histology a little tricky because most people haven't taken it before. More than likely these classes will not be too hard for you, they'll just be a lot more information than usual. My advice is don't fall behind in your work and seek out help from TAs, professors, friends, whoever if you need it.

Where are most of the classes held? Like, what part of Boston? For those who are in the program, where would you recommend living?

They're all held in Chinatown in Boston, except for I think one elective. Students seem to kind of live all over. A bunch of them live in Chinatown, some in Back Bay, the South End, or Medford. Some will end up living closer to BU on the green line. The closer you can live to campus the better (within your price range of course!) because honestly knowing all the lectures are recorded can sometimes make it hard to drag yourself to school if you live far away. Also I've lived in Boston the last 5 years and I can promise you the T is a pain to deal with so if you can make your T trip short or live in walking distance that's always ideal!

Applied 1/19 Completed 1/21 and got in today! Still waiting on a couple other SMP decisions. So far I've been admitted to Tufts and BU MAMS, and these programs seem to be equally good with similar strengths. If it comes down to these two I might have to fly to Boston for a visit before deciding!

I officially accepted today and sent in my deposit! WOOOOOOO! Can't wait to see who else joins! If you do, make sure to join the FB group! It's Tufts MBS 2016-2017

I just declined my acceptance and chose BU MAMS instead. I hope the spot goes to one of you still waiting! Thank you to all of the past students who provided perspectives on both programs, it was really helpful in making this tough decision.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would accepted students mind sharing their stats?

Completed application on 1/21/16 and received acceptance on 2/17/16.
Stats: cGPA 3.27, BCPM GPA 3.12, A/O GPA 3.67; MCAT 23 and 24.

I will be interviewing for another SMP next week, but Tufts is definitely my first choice. I was just wondering if someone can give me advise or let me know if a vehicle is recommended or needed at Tufts MBS?

Completed application on 1/21/16 and received acceptance on 2/17/16.
Stats: cGPA 3.27, BCPM GPA 3.12, A/O GPA 3.67; MCAT 23 and 24.

I will be interviewing for another SMP next week, but Tufts is definitely my first choice. I was just wondering if someone can give me advise or let me know if a vehicle is recommended or needed at Tufts MBS?

Would you mind taking a look at my personal statement?

It is possible to do a literature thesis the summer after classes end. A pain in the butt and may make your summer stink if you have to take the MCAT again but doable. Doing a literature/lab thesis the second year is more common. Personally, I studied and took the MCAT in the summer, applied to med school, and have been doing a literature thesis over the fall and winter while working full time.
I had a question about the second year! So is the tuition the same for 2nd year but there is enough time to work full-time to kinda make up for it?

I have yet to apply and I hope I am not too late haha
~3.35cgpa/sgpa with 35 mcat

I had a question about the second year! So is the tuition the same for 2nd year but there is enough time to work full-time to kinda make up for it?

You pay tuition only once (first year).
You are not late and you have a very high chance.

So I just applied with a GRE score, do any of the current or past MBS students know what a successful score would be? cgpa: 3.35, sgpa: 3.0

In a mad rush to do this application as I feel like I am late to the game, but I am hoping someone might be able to assist me in the wording of the application.

Instructions: Please submit your personal statement. In two typed pages (double-spaced), the personal statement should explain how obtaining a graduate degree from the Public Health and Professional Degree Programs at Tufts will further your career goals. For MBS Applicants: In two typed pages (double-spaced), please help the Admissions Committee understand the experiences, inspirations, and challenges that have shaped you as a person and how obtaining the MS in Biomedical Sciences at Tufts will further your career goals.

Does this insinuate that I would need to complete two personal statements (each two pages long) or do I only complete the one "for MBS Applicants."

Thanks for your help everyone!

In a mad rush to do this application as I feel like I am late to the game, but I am hoping someone might be able to assist me in the wording of the application.

Instructions: Please submit your personal statement. In two typed pages (double-spaced), the personal statement should explain how obtaining a graduate degree from the Public Health and Professional Degree Programs at Tufts will further your career goals. For MBS Applicants: In two typed pages (double-spaced), please help the Admissions Committee understand the experiences, inspirations, and challenges that have shaped you as a person and how obtaining the MS in Biomedical Sciences at Tufts will further your career goals.

Does this insinuate that I would need to complete two personal statements (each two pages long) or do I only complete the one "for MBS Applicants."

Thanks for your help everyone!

You're not late! lol I literally just submitted my application a few minutes ago and the deadline isn't until July 15! Follow the PS for the "MBS Applicant" instructions. That's what I did. My guess as to the reason for the wording is that the first sentence is the general PS required for all programs in the Public Health Department. However, for whatever reason, they feel that MBS applicants should answer a different question. They want to know more than simply what you plan on doing with the MBS. They also want to know who you are as a person since no interviews are given. (My interpretation)

Last edited:
You're not late! lol I literally just submitted my application a few minutes ago and the deadline isn't until July 15! Follow the PS for the "MBS Applicant" instructions. That's what I did. My guess as to the reason for the wording is that the first sentence is the general PS required for all programs in the Public Health Department. However, for whatever reason, they feel that MBS applicants should answer a different question. They want to know more than simply what you plan on doing with the MBS. They also want to know who you are as a person since no interviews are given. (My interpretation)

Thanks for your help. After reading it a little closer I'm actually realizing that they actually ask almost the same thing with just a little bit more specific information tailored to the program. Good luck with the application!

Thanks for your help. After reading it a little closer I'm actually realizing that they actually ask almost the same thing with just a little bit more specific information tailored to the program. Good luck with the application!
So it's just one personal statement right!? I've assumed its one P.S. this entire time :O

Hi everyone, I was wondering what kind of letter of recs did you guys all sent in? and it says 3 on their website, does that mean a limit of 3 or at least 3? If more than 3 what is like the max? thanks!

Also, is it possible to sent it through interfolio?

Application submitted 02/12/2016 and got accepted today 03/03/2016!

I think it is cumulative/total years.

My stats going into the program were 3.0-3.3 s/cGPA and a mid twenties MCAT. I retook the MCAT (2015) right after spring semester of the MBS program and applied to med school with a 3.7+ SMP GPA and a 90th+% MCAT which is, anecdotally, what I would say is the benchmark for SMP students with success. Many people received interviews to Tufts med that we in the 3.5-3.6+ SMP GPA range.

This is my personal opinion, but I also want to encourage people to apply after a full year of the SMP. It seems challenging for many SMP students to get accepted after only one semester of an SMP program.

Hello! I applied to the Tufts MBS program and just found out that I was accepted! I'm trying to find out more about the program and how it prepares its students for medical school. I was also curious about applying to medical school while enrolled in the program. Could you please explain how this works? Did you apply regularly during the summer before the program started? Thank you!

Logged into the application portal today and saw that I was accepted on 3/3. Never got an email or anything. Now I guess I need to think about choosing between Tufts and BU.

For anyone keeping track, my app was submitted 1/24, cGPA 3.08, sGPA 2.60, no MCAT, GRE 158/160/4.5

Logged into the application portal today and saw that I was accepted on 3/3. Never got an email or anything. Now I guess I need to think about choosing between Tufts and BU.

For anyone keeping track, my app was submitted 1/24, cGPA 3.08, sGPA 2.60, no MCAT, GRE 158/160/4.5

The same thing happened to me. It turns out all their emails went straight to my junk folder. I suggest checking your junk folder regularly for any future notifications from Tufts.

The same thing happened to me. It turns out all their emails went straight to my junk folder. I suggest checking your junk folder regularly for any future notifications from Tufts.
I checked there, haven't deleted anything for months but no trace of it, the last email I got from them was that my application was complete on 2/19.

One year tuition plus $1000 to keep full time enrollment for second year

Hello,

I am so excited to receive my admission to the MBS program at Tufts University! I am definitely very excited to read more about this program.

I have a few questions, however, if someone doesn't mind answering, preferably a current or past student:

My primary concern regarding this program is how well does the MBS program at Tufts prepare you for medical school applications. I have interviewed at a few small, D.O medical schools and have been waitlisted at two of them. If I receive admission, it will be a very tough decision for me to decide between the two. However, I see Tufts as an opportunity to strengthen my academic profile and to open doors to opportunities that I do not have now like possibly enrolling at the Tufts University School of Medicine, a much more prestigious and respected program. I see the MBS program as a good transition period to help me adjust to the rigors of post-undergrad coursework.

In your best opinion, how well does the MBS program at Tufts prepare its students for medical school applications? Would matriculating at Tufts and earning a master's degree from Tufts University be worthwhile and help me stand out as a future medical school applicant? Based on your experiences thus far, do you think this program does a good job in giving its students an advantage as future applicants and how many MBS students end up matriculating at the Tufts University College of Medicine afterwards? And finally, overall how has your experience been at Tufts?

Its always been my dream of attending medical school. If I receive admission off the waitlist at these D.O. schools, I would really have to decide if its worth waiting, and applying again after the MBS program at Tufts. Do you guys think its worth it? What would you advise me to do/what would you do if you were in my situation?

Any advice helps! Thank you!!

Would love to hear thoughts on whether it's possible to study for the MCAT while in this program. I applied with GRE, and would like to take the MCAT in April or May of 2017. I plan to study this summer, but will also need to study during the program.

Congratulations on all those who have decided on Tufts MBS!

Would love to hear thoughts on whether it's possible to study for the MCAT while in this program. I applied with GRE, and would like to take the MCAT in April or May of 2017. I plan to study this summer, but will also need to study during the program.

April or May would be rather tough. Right now we have Path, Anatomy & Physio and they're pretty much taking up the bulk of study time, and I know a lot of kids who are taking the MCAT after the program ends. However, the program has great advising resources, and they'll help you figure out a plan of action!

I'm a current MBS student who's staying in the area for her thesis and looking for a female roommate for a 2BD, 2BATH condo at the Metropolitan. Really nice and spacious, no heating problems during the winter, and it's across the street from Posner Hall and Tufts Med. Goes for $1850/month. Please let me know if you are interested and I can give you more details!

Hey guys, just sent in my application and am feeling nervous/anxious/excited/dread... However, I'm not sure how to submit my test scores to Tufts through AAMC. Their electronic portal doesn't list Tufts PHPD as an option, nor does it list the TUSM as an option. Was wondering how others did it?

Hi, I'm planning to enroll in the Tufts MBS program this fall and will have an extra room in my 3BR/1BA Medford apartment available starting mid-July or August (a stone's throw from Wellington, which is right on the orange line, like Tufts MBS). Parking is available, the place was renovated in the 90's, and the rent is cheap (averaging under $1000/mo including utilities)! If you're interested, please PM me. I'll put up a Craigslist post as well in the near future!

what would you advise me to do: Tufts MBS in order to receive M.D admission or D.O program?

I downloaded a score report from the AAMC website and sent it as an email attachment to the Admissions Office. That worked for me!

rejected. on hold for BU. Accepted to another MBS program but Tufts and BU are my top choices.
Hang in there. I'm on hold as well at BU. what program did you get accepted to, if I may ask and what were your stats, if you wouldn't mind posting? Thanks again

Hang in there. I'm on hold as well at BU. what program did you get accepted to, if I may ask and what were your stats, if you wouldn't mind posting? Thanks again

3.2 cGPA, 2.6 sGPA
Embarrassingly low MCAT lol
GRE - 152V/152Q/4.5
Excellent ECs
URM

Got accepted into MidwesternU - IL

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

How long did it take for you guys to hear back from them?

Hey, I will be attending this fall. I am assuming everyone is finding housing off campus. Does anyone know where I could find good housing, preferably walking distance from Tufts?

Did anyone feel like the tufts MBS was a waste of time and they instead would have gone to a DO school or a smaller school?

And for those of you who didn't get into an Md after completing the program or didn't receive a significant increase in interview invitations, was the program at least worth it in terms of prepping you wel? Did you feel like the preparation you received from the program was worth it?