Tufts University MBS 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are there any initially waitlisted applicants out there who have heard back with an ultimate acceptance or rejection?

Or, any current MBS students who were waitlisted and then accepted? At what point in the application cycle (e.g., what month-- or even better, what date) did you receive your ultimate acceptance?

I'm waitlisted myself, and wondering when movement will start to occur (if it hasn't already).

Members don't see this ad.

I took the GRE today and scored 158Q/152V. Is that score too low to apply for Tufts MBS?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was complete on 04/27 so looks like we're in the same boat. Hopefully we hear good news in the next 2.5 weeks or so

Have you heard anything back? I was complete on April 27 and still waiting for a decision.

Have you heard anything back? I was complete on April 27 and still waiting for a decision.

Actually, I just got my decision. I did not receive an e-mail, but I checked it on the application site.
I got wait listed, but I do not think I can wait to see until August 11 for the final decision.

Actually, I just got my decision. I did not receive an e-mail, but I checked it on the application site.
I got wait listed, but I do not think I can wait to see until August 11 for the final decision.

Oh man. Stick it out, one of my friends from back in 2013 got in a couple weeks after being waitlisted.

I sent my app in at 04/25, but was fully complete (with app fee and everything) on 5/5. No decision on my end yet.
Was waitlisted at Loyola MAMS, so I'm really hoping on the next decision to be an acceptance!

Oh man. Stick it out, one of my friends from back in 2013 got in a couple weeks after being waitlisted.

I sent my app in at 04/25, but was fully complete (with app fee and everything) on 5/5. No decision on my end yet.
Was waitlisted at Loyola MAMS, so I'm really hoping on the next decision to be an acceptance!

I do not know if I can wait it out. I think it is a big gamble to wait for waitlisted schools. Tufts was definitely my first option.

I think housing and stuff will get too complicated if I do not hear anything until June.

Last edited:
Is Tufts already full?

They accept around 70 right? Last time I checked the FB group, there were around 45 members but I also saw some overlap with the Boston MAMS and the GT SMP group. Then again you have to also account for the people who don't have a FB and also the ones that will eventually decline their acceptance so I don't think it is at capacity yet. Also, I'm not sure how the competitiveness of a GRE score is in comparison to the MCAT, but I'd still apply but send them an update that you are going to take the MCAT over the summer (if you are going to).

Hi Everyone! I'm a current MBS student looking for someone to fill my spot in my South End apartment, preferably female. You would be living with 2 other women (one is also an MBS student). Rent is $925/ mo. + utilities which normally run around $25pp. The lease technically starts 9/1 but since you guys are starting pretty early this year, I wouldn't mind leaving sooner so that you can move in August 1st.

I'm also open to leaving the room fully furnished for a negotiable price (I'll even leave my old study guides and MCAT books if you'd like) so all you would have to do is bring your clothes!

Message me if you're interested and feel free to ask me any questions regarding the program!

Accepted today! Complete sometime last week. Still praying my med school waitlist moves, but definitely grateful for this :)

Anyone else that submitted around a month ago still waiting for a decision? I just hope they didn't forget about my app... Wondering if they are "triaging" certain apps for a re-review or if they are straight accepting/waitlisting/rejecting/ apps as they come.

Anyone else that submitted around a month ago still waiting for a decision? I just hope they didn't forget about my app... Wondering if they are "triaging" certain apps for a re-review or if they are straight accepting/waitlisting/rejecting/ apps as they come.

I applied 4/29 and received a waitlist a week ago

Members don't see this ad :)
I was at the info session the other day and heard that all of the classes you're taking in a block are tested on one exam, but you still get individual grades for each class. Are the questions pertaining to each class organized together on the exam or is it all randomly mixed?

I'm also wondering if any current students have advice on how to best prepare for the program over the summer and any tips for how to be successful in the program?

I was at the info session the other day and heard that all of the classes you're taking in a block are tested on one exam, but you still get individual grades for each class. Are the questions pertaining to each class organized together on the exam or is it all randomly mixed?

I'm also wondering if any current students have advice on how to best prepare for the program over the summer and any tips for how to be successful in the program?

The questions are mixed together. Sometimes you might not know which test the question is for because the information can overlap, but most of the time you can probably guess if it's a genetics question or a biochemistry question, for example. It's annoying if you're the type of person who tries to guess what you'll score based on how many questions you think you got wrong, but otherwise I didn't find it to be a big deal at all. Also, it's not like the answer choices are mixed around, so you don't really have to worry about which class the question is for. It's worth noting that these exams, while long, aren't really time pressured. I think I finished most of the four hour exams in around 3 or 3.5 hours at the latest.

Don't prepare for the program over the summer! Relax. Seriously. Besides, you don't get the syllabi (like the class textbook), or access to the lectures or anything until the beginning of the year. Maybe do some reflecting on why you ended up in the program in the first place - was it your study strategies in undergrad? time management? distractions? I think self-awareness is important for being successful in the program. If something isn't working for you, change it (be it study location, study strategy, friend group, whatever). If you don't understand something, ASK FOR HELP. The professors, TAs, and even classmates are happy to help you. Pace yourself - don't go so overboard with the studying that it's unhealthy, but try not to fall behind on the lectures. If you're going to skip a class, watch the lecture in the next day or two so you don't fall behind. Make friends. You need people around you to vent about how stressful everything is. Having a study group is also really helpful for the spring classes, so try to join one. If yours stops meeting, ask to join another one. Even if you don't like working in groups, at least give it a shot. It's good to have friends who can keep you accountable, who can share study materials/strategies, and who can help you out if you don't understand something. You got into this program, you're smart, you can do it, but you have to be willing to work hard, and be flexible. Don't freak out if you get one bad test score, it's one of MANY exams, just don't make it a habit. Try to meet with your advisor multiple times throughout the year so they can get to know you. Again, if you're struggling with anything ask for help, especially from the TAs - they've already done this program and they know how to do well.

And back to the summer thing - honestly, just enjoy the free time you have. If your application could use more clinical time, think about volunteering or working. Consider taking the MCAT if you haven't already, because the MCAT class schedule in MBS is pretty crazy. Other than that, just hang out.

The questions are mixed together. Sometimes you might not know which test the question is for because the information can overlap, but most of the time you can probably guess if it's a genetics question or a biochemistry question, for example. It's annoying if you're the type of person who tries to guess what you'll score based on how many questions you think you got wrong, but otherwise I didn't find it to be a big deal at all. Also, it's not like the answer choices are mixed around, so you don't really have to worry about which class the question is for. It's worth noting that these exams, while long, aren't really time pressured. I think I finished most of the four hour exams in around 3 or 3.5 hours at the latest.

Don't prepare for the program over the summer! Relax. Seriously. Besides, you don't get the syllabi (like the class textbook), or access to the lectures or anything until the beginning of the year. Maybe do some reflecting on why you ended up in the program in the first place - was it your study strategies in undergrad? time management? distractions? I think self-awareness is important for being successful in the program. If something isn't working for you, change it (be it study location, study strategy, friend group, whatever). If you don't understand something, ASK FOR HELP. The professors, TAs, and even classmates are happy to help you. Pace yourself - don't go so overboard with the studying that it's unhealthy, but try not to fall behind on the lectures. If you're going to skip a class, watch the lecture in the next day or two so you don't fall behind. Make friends. You need people around you to vent about how stressful everything is. Having a study group is also really helpful for the spring classes, so try to join one. If yours stops meeting, ask to join another one. Even if you don't like working in groups, at least give it a shot. It's good to have friends who can keep you accountable, who can share study materials/strategies, and who can help you out if you don't understand something. You got into this program, you're smart, you can do it, but you have to be willing to work hard, and be flexible. Don't freak out if you get one bad test score, it's one of MANY exams, just don't make it a habit. Try to meet with your advisor multiple times throughout the year so they can get to know you. Again, if you're struggling with anything ask for help, especially from the TAs - they've already done this program and they know how to do well.

And back to the summer thing - honestly, just enjoy the free time you have. If your application could use more clinical time, think about volunteering or working. Consider taking the MCAT if you haven't already, because the MCAT class schedule in MBS is pretty crazy. Other than that, just hang out.

Thank you!! :)

Anyone know when they usually confer admissions? Do they convene at the end of the month and they send out decisions throughout the next month?

Hi! I only have a few days to decide between Tufts MBS and BU MAMS and I'm really struggling with my decision. I've never been to Boston, and therefore haven't visited either school yet and having a good "feel" for the place is really important to me. Did any alum of this program have to make the same decision? What pushed it over the edge for you?

Honestly I'm leaning towards Tufts but I don't know if any of it is based in any truth 1) I applied to the undergrad school and had such a lil crush on it...so just instantly I'm drawn to it 2) The % who get into any school/Tufts MD afterwards looks better than for BU (but are these percentages even accurate???) 3) I've heard the campus is newer and I rly like having nice places to study 4) I actually have a distant friend who went here so I was able to talk to her about it 5) Just on SDN/Reddit I've been able to find more people from Tufts to talk to, but not so much with BU MAMS although I do have a friend who would be going there this fall

Another question - how many students are there in average in each MBS year by the end of the year? I'm assuming a couple of people drop out during the year for whatever reason. A number was thrown out on the first page, but I don't know how accurate that was, so I'm just asking again. Thanks.

Another question - how many students are there in average in each MBS year by the end of the year? I'm assuming a couple of people drop out during the year for whatever reason. A number was thrown out on the first page, but I don't know how accurate that was, so I'm just asking again. Thanks.

I did technically have to choose between BU MAMS and Tufts, but I never visited BU because Tufts was my first choice. It looks like boston_med, who posted earlier in this thread, would have a better idea how to answer this question having visited BU. Honestly, I'm guessing the numbers of MD acceptances are pretty similar for Tufts and BU. I know the percentages on the website are averaged over the years, but I'm not sure how up-to-date or accurate they are. I'm sure they also include DO and foreign med school acceptances as well, so keep that in mind. Although Tufts undergrad is awesome, remember that the MBS program is totally separate with a different campus and everything. Try not to let that alone sway you! The Tufts campus may be a bit newer, but you basically spend all your time in the library and one auditorium (although I do actually like the library a lot), so that shouldn't be a big sway either. I don't know how many people drop, but our seating chart for exams I think has around 5 less people on it, so that'd be my guess haha. I don't think it's a super significant number of people.

I like the advising I've received at Tufts and just the general attitude of the students and professors. It's a non-competitive, encouraging environment, at least from what I've experienced. Assuming BU and Tufts are similar in MD acceptances, this should probably be what you focus on the most. Since I can't really give you an idea of what the feel is at BU, definitely try asking people on the BU MAMS thread (if you haven't already!). Get their thoughts on advising, level of competitiveness, class size, and maybe even exam averages if they can share those.

I'm sorry I'm not more helpful! I doubt you can really go wrong with either one, though, as long as you work hard wherever you end up!

I did technically have to choose between BU MAMS and Tufts, but I never visited BU because Tufts was my first choice. It looks like boston_med, who posted earlier in this thread, would have a better idea how to answer this question having visited BU. Honestly, I'm guessing the numbers of MD acceptances are pretty similar for Tufts and BU. I know the percentages on the website are averaged over the years, but I'm not sure how up-to-date or accurate they are. I'm sure they also include DO and foreign med school acceptances as well, so keep that in mind. Although Tufts undergrad is awesome, remember that the MBS program is totally separate with a different campus and everything. Try not to let that alone sway you! The Tufts campus may be a bit newer, but you basically spend all your time in the library and one auditorium (although I do actually like the library a lot), so that shouldn't be a big sway either. I don't know how many people drop, but our seating chart for exams I think has around 5 less people on it, so that'd be my guess haha. I don't think it's a super significant number of people.

I like the advising I've received at Tufts and just the general attitude of the students and professors. It's a non-competitive, encouraging environment, at least from what I've experienced. Assuming BU and Tufts are similar in MD acceptances, this should probably be what you focus on the most. Since I can't really give you an idea of what the feel is at BU, definitely try asking people on the BU MAMS thread (if you haven't already!). Get their thoughts on advising, level of competitiveness, class size, and maybe even exam averages if they can share those.

I'm sorry I'm not more helpful! I doubt you can really go wrong with either one, though, as long as you work hard wherever you end up!

I just wanted to say thank for your response to me and to everyone else in the thread! You've given so many details and been so so helpful. Just want to let you know it's really appreciated :)

hey guys I was accepted to Tufts MBS program a couple days ago as well as Rutgers MBS program, Im applying to dental school this cycle as well, I wanted to know if any of you had any input on which program is better suited for dental students?

Waitlisted - should I keep waiting to hear back from them? I'm considering contacting them to see how the waitlist works

Waitlisted - should I keep waiting to hear back from them? I'm considering contacting them to see how the waitlist works
When were you complete? I was fully complete on 5/5. I'm still awaiting a decision and it looks like the class is nearing capacity.

Hi @boston_med & @LA2693, I've pretty much decided on Tufts MBS, but I still have a few questions so I can get a more well-rounded picture of the program.

1) What were some things you DIDN'T like about the program?
2) Some expectations you had about MBS that didn't turn out the way you thought?
3) In retrospect, what would you have done differently during that year?
4) Do you have any advice, from watching your peers around you who didn't do as well as you or as well as they wanted or were just struggling more than you?

Reactions: 2 users
complete 5/10 and still waiting. How are people seeing their decisions online? Is it on the slate application?

I just wanted to say thank for your response to me and to everyone else in the thread! You've given so many details and been so so helpful. Just want to let you know it's really appreciated :)

No problem! Happy to help out :)

Hi @boston_med & @LA2693, I've pretty much decided on Tufts MBS, but I still have a few questions so I can get a more well-rounded picture of the program.

1) What were some things you DIDN'T like about the program?
2) Some expectations you had about MBS that didn't turn out the way you thought?
3) In retrospect, what would you have done differently during that year?
4) Do you have any advice, from watching your peers around you who didn't do as well as you or as well as they wanted or were just struggling more than you?

1. The MCAT schedule is a big challenge. It's nearly impossible to keep up with during the semester, and the summer class can put you a little further behind in terms of applying. It's not a huge deal (at least I don't think right now, not having applied yet...), but it's a bit of a pain. The electives can have varying levels of difficulty, and some may get you an A easier than others (in general, the MBS specific electives seem to be easier). In the spring, the schedule is more like undergrad where your tests don't align on the same day. This seems like it would be better, but for me at least it meant I fell pretty far behind in one class while studying for the other. I spent the entire semester feeling like I was playing catch-up, which sucked, but which was also kind of my own fault. I guess one final thing is that Anatomy was tricky because we don't work with cadavers (they do designate times to go to the lab during the semester before each exam), and the online software was kind of frustrating to use at times. Oh, also you have to make sure you keep up with due dates for things yourself because they won't remind you about a lot of them (especially in the spring), although almost all the due dates they've been super flexible about so don't stress too much about that. Honestly I'm kind of reaching for things, there's not a ton I didn't like.
2. I had pretty low expectations going in to this program. I thought I'd pretty much hate every part of it because it'd be crazy competitive/stressful. It's definitely stressful, but I actually enjoyed my classes much more than I thought I would and, like I've said before, the competitiveness was pretty much non-existent in my class. I also really felt that how much work I put into studying was reflected in my grades, which I didn't expected. On the other hand, I did expect to have every class taught in person by the professor, but this isn't the case. A good chunk of the classes first semester are video-streamed into the auditorium from the medical classes. This turned out to not be a big deal though, at least to me, because the professors come talk to the MBS class afterwards to answer questions.
3. To be honest, I did better in this program than I thought I would, so I wouldn't change anything study-wise. Don't be afraid to aim high. There are always students getting A/A+ grades, even in the more difficult classes, so it's never impossible! I think I would, however, make more of an effort to get to know my advisor. Even if you're doing well in your classes, reach out to your advisor for check-ins every once and awhile. They'll most likely be writing you a letter of recommendation. Also, I think there are some advisors that can come across as intimidating. Don't let this keep you from going to them, even if it's hard. At least from what I've heard from friends even if they come across as super intimidating, they're still looking out for you/have your best interests at heart. If you need a second opinion don't be afraid to ask for one from another professor/advisor.
4. Study really hard and ask for help if you need it. Also DO NOT stick to a study strategy that is not working! Seriously. You're presumably taking out a ton of loans to do this program for the shot (not even guarantee) at getting into medical school. Do not make excuses for yourself. Like I've said before, figure out why you had trouble in undergrad and fix it. If you procrastinated too much, figure out a way to stop it. Block websites on your computer. Work with a friend to hold one another accountable. If you think you spent too much time with friends, get comfortable with saying no a little more. I know this program can be really challenging and exhausting at times, and it can be demoralizing knowing that it doesn't guarantee you a medical school acceptance AND that you'll have to take all these classes again anyways. But again, you're spending a ton of money to be there. When you get to the end of it, you want to make sure you can tell yourself you did the best you could and you tried as hard as you could. That being said (and I know it's hard to strike a balance), don't go crazy. Forgive yourself if you get a bad test score, you take something like 35 exams during the year and one isn't going to make or break you. Just figure out what you can do better on next time. Give yourself breaks without falling too behind on your work. They won't accept you to this program if they don't think you can succeed. Once you get in (of course disregarding any outside circumstances you might be experiencing) how well you do is tied to how hard you work.

Reactions: 1 user
has anyone been accepted to the program during june and july? My application was completed last week of May.

has anyone been accepted to the program during june and july? My application was completed last week of May.
According to past years, people can still be accepted though August especially because of the waitlist but its definitely more sporadic

just accepted! application was complete 5/10. Good luck to everyone still waiting!

Any one from a different state have success finding a place to live in Boston without visiting? How do you do that? How do you find roommates? I'm so clueless, lol.

Declined my acceptance today for another program. Took a while to decide because Tufts sounds like an amazing program. Hope the acceptance goes to one of you who is waiting!

Last edited:
Any one from a different state have success finding a place to live in Boston without visiting? How do you do that? How do you find roommates? I'm so clueless, lol.

I'm from MA, but everyone I know in the program is from out of state, so you're definitely not alone! Tufts should send you something in the summer via email...I think it's a forum or posting site or something? It's for Tufts students trying to find housing. Obviously I haven't used it, but it might be worth checking out. Also, I know a bunch of people posted on our Facebook page about housing. There's a good number of MBS students who live with other Tufts students, like dental students for example, who also need housing (in case you don't want to live with someone in the same program!). A lot of people live in Chinatown, Allston/Brighton area, Fenway/Kenmore area, Back Bay, South End, and North End neighborhoods. Since you're not from the area, I would stay away from looking at places in Dorchester or Roxbury. Some parts of these neighborhoods are less safe. A lot of the housing can be pretty expensive, unfortunately. If money isn't a big deal for you, there are a lot of studio apartments if you don't want a roommate. But yeah, expensive. I might reach out to people in the MBS program/use the website they send you guys and go from there.

Also, I know a few people moved into their apartments on Sept 1 after spending a couple weeks somewhere else. I realize a lot of the time people don't really have an option in this, but it's not ideal if you can avoid it. They had to move in the weekend before our first exam, which kind of sucks. The first exam is a little less intense though, so don't panic if you end up in a tight spot like that. Just have to stay on top of stuff.

Does anybody know how many people apply and how many people are accepted? and/ or what the acceptance rate into this program is?

I was accepted two weeks ago and submitted my application at the end of May. I called and I think there are either 130 or 160 students in the program. Sorry, I can't remember which number I was told

Hi everyone! I will be attending the MBS program in the fall, and I am currently looking for housing. Since the program begins the last week of August (3 days before Sept 1), I don't really want to pay rent for the month of Aug for 3 days of school, so i'm looking for a lease that begins Sept 1st. Are there any current students that can shine some light on this situation? Should I just find a place for Aug 1, or would it be possible to find a place for a few days (and where I'd be able to find one)?

Hi everyone! I will be attending the MBS program in the fall, and I am currently looking for housing. Since the program begins the last week of August (3 days before Sept 1), I don't really want to pay rent for the month of Aug for 3 days of school, so i'm looking for a lease that begins Sept 1st. Are there any current students that can shine some light on this situation? Should I just find a place for Aug 1, or would it be possible to find a place for a few days (and where I'd be able to find one)?

Hey, I don't have a good answer to your question about housing in August (I'm sorry!), but I did want to make sure you double check the start date. Last year the program started in the middle of August, and the calendar online says orientation is on August 11-12 and classes start on August 15 for the 2016-2017 academic year. It could be wrong - I don't get any emails they send you guys so I'm not sure if you received a different schedule! If it does start mid-August, I'd recommend just getting an August lease. Last year the first exam was the Monday after Sept. 1st weekend, which meant some of my classmates had to move in the weekend before the exam. It's not the end of the world if that's what you have to do, but something to think about. Here's the calendar online - http://publichealth.tufts.edu/Stude...6-17-MS-Biomedical-Sciences-Academic-Calendar. Just make sure you confirm the start date before you make housing decisions.

Hey, I don't have a good answer to your question about housing in August (I'm sorry!), but I did want to make sure you double check the start date. Last year the program started in the middle of August, and the calendar online says orientation is on August 11-12 and classes start on August 15 for the 2016-2017 academic year. It could be wrong - I don't get any emails they send you guys so I'm not sure if you received a different schedule! If it does start mid-August, I'd recommend just getting an August lease. Last year the first exam was the Monday after Sept. 1st weekend, which meant some of my classmates had to move in the weekend before the exam. It's not the end of the world if that's what you have to do, but something to think about. Here's the calendar online - http://publichealth.tufts.edu/Stude...6-17-MS-Biomedical-Sciences-Academic-Calendar. Just make sure you confirm the start date before you make housing decisions.

Oh wow, I've never seen this calendar. I read somewhere else on the website that classes begin the last week of August. Thanks for the heads up, i'll definitely be getting a place for August.

does anyone know if they are still accepting people into the program or is it full?

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone! I just withdrew my acceptance, so hopefully it goes to one of you on the WL! Best of luck!

Has anyone here looked at RFUCAS's BMS program in comparison to Tufts' MBS program before? I'm sure my question is a bit of stretch but on the off chance there is someone here who has been presented with this choice, I would greatly appreciate some insight that would help me make a decision. Thanks!

Hey Everyone! Congratulations on your acceptances to the MBS program :)! I'm looking to help my friend find a roommate on the edge of South End/Bay Village. The rent is $1200/mo and electric + utilities will be split even. It is a 5 minute walk to Tufts Medical Campus and walking distance to several T stations (Orange Line/Green Line/Commuter Rail). Surrounding the area is Whole Foods, lots of South End restaurants, and nearby convenience stores. Happy to provide you with more details if you PM me! Thanks and best of luck in the program!

Question about monthly MBTA passes: is there a price difference between buying it and getting reimbursed and buying it through the flyer they sent us? I'm confused because 25% off of $84.50 is less than any of the prices I saw on their flyer.

Question about monthly MBTA passes: is there a price difference between buying it and getting reimbursed and buying it through the flyer they sent us? I'm confused because 25% off of $84.50 is less than any of the prices I saw on their flyer.

It is cheaper to buy an MBTA pass through the flyer, rather than from the MBTA website. MBTA sells LinkPasses for $84.50/month on their website, which adds up to $338 over 4 months, equivalent to 1 semester. However, if you're buying a LinkPass using the flyer, the rate becomes $75.21/month, which is $253.50 for the entire semester. The difference in price here is 25%, which is as advertised on the flyer.