Tuition Assistance If You Join National Guard in Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tabs69

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm trying to get more information on what is required to become eligible for tuition assistance if you join the NG in medical school. I will be attending a public medical school in New Jersey and I know they advertise that they cover 100% tuition. I'm trying to figure out if there are exceptions for medical school but no luck so far. Am waiting to hear back from AMEDD recruiter. I would really like to know if NG will cover all my tuition, etc. Also, what is likelihood of being deployed if I join in first year and complete 3 year residency. Assuming no incentives, I would be able to enter IRR after 2nd year of residency and remain in that status until my 8 year commitment ends 1 year after I finish residency? It almost sounds too good to be true. Can someone shed some light on this? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

i'm out of state, so tuition is $55k. Going the NG route would save me $200k, pretty big discount.

OP- I would clarify this with the medical school you are thinking of attending…

First off, when you say tuition assistance, the National Guard gives $4500 per year. And this varies by state and availability, for several years while in medical school I was not able to get it.

You are talking about a tuition waiver, which is dependent state-by-state. Most states when they say "free tuition" what they actually in is a waiver in the form of the in-state tuition for undergrad. Even at medical school, they waived the undergrad amount. So for programs like this in many states, you are still on the hook for the difference between the undergraduate in-state tuition and the medical school tuition. I would verify…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk