MSW Tuition for BU and BC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GarbanzoBeans

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I am planning to apply to the MSW programs at Boston College and Boston University for the fall of 2016. I have two questions...

1. Does anyone know the TOTAL tuition of these programs? (They don't make it easy to figure out on their websites. Or at least I'm having trouble figuring it out.)

2. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge about how generous either program is with giving out aid and scholarships?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure about any specifics, but universities generally have pages dedicated to financial aid, scholarships, etc. both on the university level and within the individual college. Have you looked these over? I know it doesn't speak to the competitiveness of the particular scholarships, but it can give you an idea of how much financial assistance is available.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Have you already called/emailed both university's FA offices/social work offices to ask these questions?

No. I'm asking here in case someone knew off hand or had experience dealing with either program.

Why take the time to respond if you don't even have an answer to either of the questions I asked? Is your goal to be condescending or simply to waste my time?

The goal was to be as helpful as possible. I know, I'm kind of a jerk in that way...

Surely you don't consider your responses to be examples of being "as helpful as possible" because that would be truly absurd.

Anyway, if anyone here is able provide actual answers or share their personal experiences, I would greatly appreciate it. :)

Being that these were the most helpful responses I could afford to give you, that is, by definition, exactly what I was being. I stated right in the beginning that I did not know any specifics so you could disregard the answer and move on with your life if you felt any subsequent text would be a waste of your time. What I do know, as a regular on this forum, is that there are only four of us that have been actively posting for the past year on this side of the fence, two of which have been inactive for the most part for some time now. With this in mind, you are now hoping that the one other poster not only attended one of those schools (possible, albeit highly unlikely) and can tell you the exact cost of tuition for you (in state? out of state) in 2016. Slim chance. In addition, assuming this other poster went to one of these schools, you are then relying on them to have had applied for all financial aid, or at least, have been intimately familiar with the exact amount of financial aid available, the total amount awarded, and the amount of people that WILL apply in 2016. Once gain, slim chance. So, being that the answers to these questions seemed unlikely to be satisfied in an exact fashion on this forum, I decided to try to provide some information on available resources (social worker), because not everybody is aware of what's available (not to be condescending). Having said all of that, you could have saved yourself the time (and my ability to "waste" it) by simply calling both schools and getting the most accurate information available right from the source. There is nothing wrong with also posting these questions on a forum such as this to supplement with subjective information, but to get upset when such information does not meet your expectations is unnecessary. Have a nice day! :D

I didn't read anything you wrote because I assume it's all just more meaningless pompous fluff. Perhaps someone who has direct knowledge of these programs or someone who has friends or acquaintances who have such knowledge will chime in. If not, that's fine. I'm interested in answers to my questions; not instructions on how to acquire information.

My friend goes to BU. Got $24,000 in scholarship funds. Said tuition was about $64,000. Website says its $31,000 a year.

A fellow intern was offered $12,000 in scholarships at BU.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you! That's helpful. I'm assuming the $64k is the total tuition of the two years, right? If so, that's actually not as bad as I expected. I was anticipating about $45k per year (so $90k total) at both schools.

Thank you again :)

Thank you! That's helpful. I'm assuming the $64k is the total tuition of the two years, right? If so, that's actually not as bad as I expected. I was anticipating about $45k per year (so $90k total) at both schools.

Thank you again :)

90 total is closer to USC's tuition ;-)
My friend said that the 64K was for two years, full time. I don't know about BC.

You're very welcome for the information Garbanzo. I will admit that if it were the middle of the week I would've called both of the schools to ask so that I could've given you the information. WesleySmith is a regular poster and I can assure you no ill intent was meant by the previous responses.

BC is a bit ominous about their tuition. It's $1094 per credit hour and it looks like it's 65 credit hours for the program.

Another thing to keep in mind are the health insurance fees, school fees and things of that nature. They can add up.
Let us know if you have any other questions. We are happy to assist.

I had planned to call BU on Monday, but I need to hold off on BC for a bit because I've called them an embarrassing number of times in the past week already to ask various questions. :p

Your friends at BU, are they happy there? I'm leaning slightly more towards BC because it's smaller and the professors seem to be some of the best in the field, but I'd be very happy at either I'm sure. (I need to stay in Boston because of my husband's job.)

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks, @NM1 ! I'm glad you are enjoying the program at BU. How is your internship going? How much say did you have in your placement?

@GarbanzoBeans My foundation year (1st year) is going well. I have I believe 3 more weeks left. I'm clinical track and my placement is an outpatient services for substance abuse. I am getting a lot of experience. I'd say more experience than some of my fellow 1st years (a lot of the placements of are at schools and that is fine but not very clinical in nature). I'm not sure what you mean about say in the placement. I have made suggestions like having more clinical groups (which I facilitate) that my supervisor has followed through with. I have asked for more clients to which I was given more clients. I think it depends on your placement.

But if you are asking about when you are first being placed if you have any input on where you go, then the answer is YES. I have some previous experience with youth and I asked to be placed with adults specifically with substance abuse disorders and that is what I got. They really try to get you what you want (of course within reason). The field education department is awesome. I was able to get my 2nd year placement exactly where I wanted to be. I know most of the students that I have classes with were able to get their first choices also.

I hope this helps!

That's so great to hear, @NM1. I had been really stressed about that because I know your placement really influences your opportunities once you graduate, so I'm really relieved to know you had a fair amount of input regarding where you were placed. Thanks again! :)

@GarbanzoBeans No problem! I was worried also before starting. I wanted a placement that would give me experience in a field I knew nothing much about but was were I wanted to go once I was done with school. Make sure when you fill out the field ed paperwork that you specifically state where you want to go. That is what they use to first try to place you. If they try to send you to a placement you are not interested in to interview tell them so. You need to advocate for yourself. They will listen. But if you are vague like I want to work with kids....they are going to place you with kids at YMCA not at the hospital that you really wanted. Just my two-cents!

Reactions: 1 users
I found what Nm1 said to be true for my program as well! That's good general advice for all potential MSW students.