Tuition Increases / COA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DesertTortoise

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
In the majority of the COA estimates I see on various MD schools websites, it shows tuition being the same all four years. I'm guessing there are some schools that freeze tuition, but most will increase each year, correct? Is there anywhere that lists the schools that freeze tuition for accepted applicants?

Members don't see this ad.

In the majority of the COA estimates I see on various MD schools websites, it shows tuition being the same all four years. I'm guessing there are some schools that freeze tuition, but most will increase each year, correct? Is there anywhere that lists the schools that freeze tuition for accepted applicants?
As with most financial aid issues, schools have varying policies. Some schools actually do not have the same tuition for different years as you are in school for 12 months some years rather than 9 or 10 as a 1st year. (Check out Pritzker for example.)

As for year-over-year tuition inflation, you'll have to ask schools individually. One school told me that their need-based grant would go up dollar-for-dollar with tuition increases, for example. But others make no such assurance.

Thank you - I won't qualify for need based aid. I will be getting a loan from my parents, so trying to do some comparisons and estimate a budget / timeline of costs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you - I won't qualify for need based aid. I will be getting a loan from my parents, so trying to do some comparisons and estimate a budget / timeline of costs.
The best information will come from the financial aid office. I'd ask them what their policy is on tuition increases.

You could also get a rough estimate of total costs by finding the year-by-year total budget on the school website and compounding the COA by ~3-4% per year, which seems to be the norm.

When I look at COA on the various schools websites, it seems a bit inflated. I think I could live cheaper (I don't eat much - and would hope to have a roommate) than noted. Also, the cost of books seems inflated as well - do we really have to purchase $2-3K in books, or can we get by with online versions?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk