Tulane Accepted MPH Fall 2015 Q&A

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've been accepted to the MPH in Disaster Management program! I'm really excited but have tons of questions about it. I haven't seen many other people on these forums that are interested in disaster management or humanitarian assistance. Anyone out there?! I'm impressed by how well organized Tulane's DM program is!

Members don't see this ad.

I am! Nice to find another person interested in this area. I was also accepted to Tulane recently, for the MPH in Epi. I know Harvard, Columbia, and Hopkins all have pretty active research centers and programs dealing with forced migration / humanitarian issues, but I don't know much about what Tulane is doing in this area internationally. I'm also curious about what opportunities there are for students to get involved. So much research to do over the next few months! Anyone have experience they can share?

Yay! It's such an exciting field. Where else have you applied? I'm also not too sure about Tulane's program. I know their Public Health school has an overall global focus and they say the disaster management program is intended to prepare students to work domestically and globally but I have yet to talk to anyone about it. I want to be sure the opportunities to get my foot in the door are possible with Tulane! I'm waiting to hear from Columbia's MPH Forced Migration program. I'm positive their program will get me where I want to be but I like that Tulane would leave me with skills to work domestically if need be.

Anyone in the program now that can share some advice?

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been digesting my decision a lot more, and I just want to expand on my personal experience thus far. This should really hit guys.

- If you're a guy, please reconsider applying and choosing Tulane over other public health programs. I understand that we go to graduate school to learn, though it's important to have some aspect of a social life. I've spoken to my friends enrolled in graduate-level public health programs at other schools like Emory, Columbia, and UNC-Chapel Hill, and from what I hear, there's a greater gender divide at other programs when compared to Tulane. Since moving to New Orleans, I have found the quality of my life has declined. When I lived in Washington, DC, I had a better balance between work and play, and in New Orleans and at Tulane, it's been a constant struggle for me to find my niche. In hindsight, I ponder why I didn't choose accepting an offer from the other schools that I was admitted to. I really underestimated the student body dynamic at Tulane.. I wish I researched that more.

- Before others judge me, know that I value diversity and am a very open-minded and accepting individual. Compared to other programs/schools, I feel that Tulane has a much larger African-American and Black, and minority-based population. This is reflected in the student club offerings, which are mostly racially or culturally focused. For New Orleans being a community-based city, I feel that the School of Public Health and Tropical Health lacks that cohesive element, and I think that the high suicide rate is connected to that aspect of social fit. Aside from Tulane African Student Association (TASA), Society of Young Black Public Health Professionals, and SALUD (Hispanic based club), there's really no club that is focused on specific health interests, or a general organization outside of the underlying organization, SGA. People argue that minorities need social spaces to meet others, because white people have "white privilege". Be that as it may, whether or not I support that claim, there should still be social outlets for students to interact and engage in outside of their racial and cultural similarities. What about a SOCIETY OF FUTURE PUBLIC HEALTH PROFESSIONALS? Something that does not segregate and divide students, and attracts ALL students who have the same overall career goals. Other schools like Columbia, Harvard, and Emory, have many more options when it comes to student involvement. Not to mention, that the student body is not all that engaging here. It's like pulling teeth to get students active within the student-centered events and activities.

Like I said, I didn't come to graduate school to get the experience I had during my undergrad, but if you're looking for a better social experience, then you might not want to consider Tulane. Of course, I'm only one person, and every person's experience is different. Just figured I share my opinion, and maybe spare some males the social difficulties and emotional strain I've been experiencing since early into my first semester. Luckily, I'm able to expedite my time here, and I'll be graduating a semester early. I guess we can be happy for the little things.

Uhhh, bro. Why don't you just make your own club? The whining over minorities really rubbed me the wrong way. Did you ever think that your negativity maybe repelling some potential friends? Just a thought, because it comes across that way on this website and I'm sure it's amplified in person. You seem very unhappy and anxiety ridden on this board.

You complain often about Tulane, maybe you should transfer to another program, no shade.

Reactions: 1 user
We're all entitled to our opinions, so please do not attack me for sharing my personal thoughts and experiences. Before you enroll wherever you go, you might want to practice your skills on how to be tolerable and respectful of others' views. It's not that I'm not well liked, as I am very well acquainted with my peers. No one says you are or that you have to be happy where you go, and I'm just saying that in hindsight, there are places that would have been a better fit for me. In graduate school, you do not transfer, especially when you're in an accelerated program. Some things take higher precedent, such as program reputation and course offerings, over geographic location and other factors. And for the record, I was not whining about minorities. I was just saying how there should be more student organizations that are universal, and do not explicitly target only specific racial and/or ethnic groups in the title.

I'm going to sit out now. If people haves specific questions, please send them via PM so I do not get personally attacked for sharing my own experience.

Uhhh, bro. Why don't you just make your own club? The whining over minorities really rubbed me the wrong way. Did you ever think that your negativity maybe repelling some potential friends? Just a thought, because it comes across that way on this website and I'm sure it's amplified in person. You seem very unhappy and anxiety ridden on this board.

You complain often about Tulane, maybe you should transfer to another program, no shade.

Reactions: 1 users
Apologize if this is off topic, for those accepted how long did it take to get your decision from Tulane?

For those who have attended- what sort of research experiences did you have at Tulane? What are class sizes/ student-teacher ratios like?

Apologize if this is off topic, for those accepted how long did it take to get your decision from Tulane?

For those who have attended- what sort of research experiences did you have at Tulane? What are class sizes/ student-teacher ratios like?
I heard back two weeks after I received the email saying my app was sent to the department (epi). I applied back in October so it may take longer this time of year. Seems like they have a pretty quick turnaround in general.

My wait was a little longer, but not much. I applied and got my confirmation email towards the end of November and heard back just before Christmas. So it was about a month! (If you want the actual timeline: I applied 11/18, Confirmation email 11/24, Acceptance via email 12/22)

I hope you get some good news soon!! :)

Its been about 2 weeks since I submitted so I'm hoping to hear back soon from Tulane. Thanks for the information everyone!

Last edited:
Its been about 2 weeks since I submitted so I'm hoping to hear back soon from Tulane. Thanks for the information everyone!

Have you heard anything? I was SOPHAS verified on 1/29 so I'm hoping to hear soon...

Have you heard anything? I was SOPHAS verified on 1/29 so I'm hoping to hear soon...

Not yet. I'm going to give it until the end of the week and then try eMailing them. Heard back from 3 schools already.

Last edited:
Heard back from Tulane this morning:

"Congratulations! Tulane University School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine (SPHTM) has accepted you to study for the Master of Public Health (MPH) degree in Epidemiology in the Department of Epidemiology for Fall 2015."

Unless Tulane offers some sort of scholarship/grant money to attend I'll likely be going to USF (Epi/Communicable Disease) as I'll receive instate tuition. I would really, really love to go to Tulane but can't see spending an extra $400-500 per credit hour.

Reactions: 2 users
Looks like you'll be going to USF then. Unfortunately, no money. :/

Members don't see this ad :)

Got my acceptance this morning as well! Is it correct that we can apply for assistantships within our department, but not until after we enroll?

Yeah. I'd love to go to Tulane. The program I'm really interested in at USF will allow me to study both epi and communicable disease. Tulane's SPHTM has so much to offer, and NOLA is awesome, it's just too pricey for me unfortunately.

Last edited:
Yeah. I'd love to go to Tulane. The program I'm really interested in will allow at USF will allow me to study both epi and communicable disease. Tulane's SPHTM has so much to offer, and NOLA is awesome, it's just too pricey for me unfortunately.

Yeah I mean it's too pricey for pretty much everyone haha. It just comes down to personal discretion of choosing extreme debt or in-state tuition.

Heard back from Tulane this morning:

"Congratulations! Tulane University School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine (SPHTM) has accepted you to study for the Master of Public Health (MPH) degree in Epidemiology in the Department of Epidemiology for Fall 2015."

Unless Tulane offers some sort of scholarship/grant money to attend I'll likely be going to USF (Epi/Communicable Disease) as I'll receive instate tuition. I would really, really love to go to Tulane but can't see spending an extra $400-500 per credit hour.

Have you submitted the financial aid addendum form to their financial aid office? I submitted mine earlier this week. I'm a bit curious as to what they'll give me.

Have you submitted the financial aid addendum form to their financial aid office? I submitted mine earlier this week. I'm a bit curious as to what they'll give me.

Sorry for the late reply. I submitted my addendum last week and I'm just waiting to see. I'm really leaning toward USF for the cost/familiarity, but I'm also waiting to see what Tulane offers.

Sorry for the late reply. I submitted my addendum last week and I'm just waiting to see. I'm really leaning toward USF for the cost/familiarity, but I'm also waiting to see what Tulane offers.

Do they only offer loans? I feel like if they were giving grants we would've been notified already. Hopefully, I'm wrong.

I'm glad I saw both of these posts. I had no idea what you guys were talking about and looked online...I never received an email about Gibson! I filled FAFSA out January 4th...hopefully this doesn't put me back?!

Do they only offer loans? I feel like if they were giving grants we would've been notified already. Hopefully, I'm wrong.

I think Masters students are mainly going to get loans, unfortunately.

Gibson still doesn't reflect the fact that I sent in the addendum but I'm not going to stress about it since I'm more than likely not going to Tulane. I do wish all of the future Tulane graduates luck.

I think Masters students are mainly going to get loans, unfortunately.

Gibson still doesn't reflect the fact that I sent in the addendum but I'm not going to stress about it since I'm more than likely not going to Tulane. I do wish all of the future Tulane graduates luck.

Same for me. I'll be attending BU (sent in decision on Friday). Good luck everyone.

Just thought I'd provide some updates so other people have an idea of what to expect.

Apparently Tulane received my PH Addendum on the 13th of March. I mailed it with an expected delivery date of 3/11 so it took them about 2-3 days to process it and about 11 days to update Gibson. It's still being reviewed and I have not received any award information.

I received my financial aid package from Tulane today-

It's a combination of Perkins, unsubsidized and grad plus loans with the option for federal work study. $54k is my CoA and I've received $54k in aid. Unfortunately the prospect of ~$52k a year in additional loans is too much. I hope this information is of use to someone.

Good luck!

Hi guys,
Today I got acceptance from Tulane University in health policy concentration. I haven't confirmed my enrolment yet . Can someone help me with the tuition and fee for MPH graduate. Can I get Financial aid from any source?

What is the approximate cost of living for 2 years? Will I be able to find a decent part time job to assist my living?

I am an international medical student(female) from India and I wish to join MD following MPH.

I have got accepted in Univ of Kentucky and Univ of Alabama, Birmingham. I prefer to join Tulane, since it's better ranked compared to others. Am I making the right decision? Someone please help me with these queries.

So I am officially attending Tulane in order to pursue my Master's in Public Health in Epidemiology. I have some questions about the neighborhood I'll be living in (Gentilly). Also, is permit parking available for students?

Permit parking is available for students for $85/month. Depending on how many days a week you have class, I would just recommend parking in one of the lots ($3-$4 for the day; 12 hours). That's why I usually do. Not sure about Gentilly.

I have some questions as well about housing in Tulane. Does anyone know about the quality of the Deming Apartments vs. The Papillon? I did read that the Papillon is located in a nicer area (uptown campus) but are the apartments nicer as well (nicer than the Deming)? If someone could please clue me in that would be great.

Also, is anyone planning to attend the open house on July 31st?

Hi everyone,
I recently was accepted to Tulane and Emory for Global Health ( I really want to do nutrition and take some electives in infectious diseases), but I am having a very hard time deciding which school is best for me. After MPH school, I plan on going to school again to become a physician assistant and hope to someday work for the World Health organization and/or other global health organization using my medical and nutritional knowledge in order to diagnose and treat people with infectious diseases. Both Tulane and Emory are great programs but I don't know which school will provide me more hands on experience working with global health organizations. Has anyone been accepted to both programs before and if so, which one did you choose? What are the pros and cons for both programs? Which program has more of a connection to global organizations such as WHO? Which program will best fit my educational needs?

Hi @ccala,

As someone who once stood in your shoes literally speaking, I would say that if global health is your passion, then Emory is the way to go. I just completed my MPH at Tulane in December 2015 and have since relocated to Atlanta for work. While Tulane's International Health and Development program is well regarded and features a great curriculum, the hard truth is that New Orleans is not home to any global health organizations. In Atlanta, you have CDC, Task Force for Global Health at Emory, CARE, The Carter Center, and a larger selection of organizations that work worldwide in the public health and international development arena. As a student, you would have the opportunity to intern, volunteer and complete your practicum at one of the aforementioned organizations (or another of the same kind). Did you apply to Global Epidemiology at Emory or just Global Health (Hubert)? I hope this helps!

Hi everyone,
I recently was accepted to Tulane and Emory for Global Health ( I really want to do nutrition and take some electives in infectious diseases), but I am having a very hard time deciding which school is best for me. After MPH school, I plan on going to school again to become a physician assistant and hope to someday work for the World Health organization and/or other global health organization using my medical and nutritional knowledge in order to diagnose and treat people with infectious diseases. Both Tulane and Emory are great programs but I don't know which school will provide me more hands on experience working with global health organizations. Has anyone been accepted to both programs before and if so, which one did you choose? What are the pros and cons for both programs? Which program has more of a connection to global organizations such as WHO? Which program will best fit my educational needs?

Hi @ccala,

As someone who once stood in your shoes literally speaking, I would say that if global health is your passion, then Emory is the way to go. I just completed my MPH at Tulane in December 2015 and have since relocated to Atlanta for work. While Tulane's International Health and Development program is well regarded and features a great curriculum, the hard truth is that New Orleans is not home to any global health organizations. In Atlanta, you have CDC, Task Force for Global Health at Emory, CARE, The Carter Center, and a larger selection of organizations that work worldwide in the public health and international development arena. As a student, you would have the opportunity to intern, volunteer and complete your practicum at one of the aforementioned organizations (or another of the same kind). Did you apply to Global Epidemiology at Emory or just Global Health (Hubert)? I hope this helps!

Thanks for replying to my message!! I applied to just global health. But after really research both programs, I have come to realize that Emory may be a better fit for me especially if I want to work in global health.