Tulane ACP 2015-2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bev90

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone! This thread is for anyone interested in applying to Tulane ACP this spring. I'm a current ACP student and am available, along with the rest of my classmates, to answer any questions you may have.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
How long should my personal statement be?
What is the structure of this program and how hard is it?
Where would you recommend living?

I know nothing.

do you know the average stats of the accepted applicant to the ACP?

Members don't see this ad :)
How long should my personal statement be?
What is the structure of this program and how hard is it?
Where would you recommend living?

I know nothing.

1) Long enough to get your point across, short enough so people will actually read it. It's one of those things where its up to you, use your discretion and don't submit a novel

2) The program really has 2 courses: Anatomy and Histology. Neuroscience is also a course but is optional (and also after you get interviewed/decision). During anatomy you are taking a full med school course load. For histology, you are only taking about 1/3 of an integrated course that runs from october --> march so it's fairly doable. Really the only requirement is for you to excel for 2.5 months (Anatomy) and that is enough to get an interview. Acceptance is not guaranteed but historically it has been positive (100 percent of us who interviewed were accepted).

I think the best way to understand how good this program is by comparing it to other programs. I personally have experienced Georgetown SMP and also know a bunch of others non-ACPs who did Drexel, RWJ, BU. They are all great programs but lets look at what you have to do to "Get in" which is our goal.

Tulane ACP: Take 2 medical courses. Beat the average in one that last 2.5 months. Work with your classmates since everyone who does the requirement will get an interview and nearly everyone who gets an interview gets accepted. Small class size with no cut off in accepted students = you work well with your classmates and the faculty is invested in getting you through. In addition, as an ACP you are grouped with 5 other med students into the dissection labs for anatomy. Tulane treats you like a med student rather than some post-bacc tagging along. I can't speak for other post-baccs but I know for Georgetown they just gave us NetAnatomy and a couple of hours to go in the labs to look at post-dissected bodies. Getting hands on work is clutch for understanding anatomy and the anatomy groups really make you a part of the med class.

Other Post-Bacc: Take nearly every medical course and earn honors in most if not all (that means top 10% of MEDICAL class). Meanwhile, compete with up to 180 post-bacc students for interview spots. Compete with everyone in the interview to get reserved spots. Pay 4 times as much. You get faculty advisors, but they aren't as involved in your day to day.

I'm not bitter about my experience at SMP because I valued the learning experience, however, I have met many people from these other post-baccs during interviews and elsewhere that have had similar frustrations. Being in the top 20% of the medical class in these programs is usually not enough in to get to your final goal: med school. Everyone can do well, but I'm happy I found a road with the higher chance and more supportive environment.

I don't want to give the impression ACP is easy. There have been ACP classes where several didn't beat the average (the averages are quite high here). It's going to take hard work. The difference is that if you work hard, you will get into med school. In other programs, if you work hard, you only have a chance to get into med school.

Addendum: So I lied, there's more to the program than doing well. Tulane is all about creating well balanced and respectful physicians. They are excellent at recruiting students who work hard and play harder. It's nice to be in a place where when you leave the stress of class you don't need to walk into the stress of dealing with troublesome classmates. Tulane makes an effort to make sure their students will all "fit" hence why we as ACP students are so integrated to the med class. That means that not only do you need to do well, but you need to have a good attitude. Are you someone who is helpful, friendly and courteous? Then Tulane ACP is for you. Gunners are welcome, cutthroats are not.

3) We live in all areas of New Orleans, each having its own benefit. There are a bunch of neighborhoods depending on your preference and there is also on campus housing that some use.

@INOHELP

Regarding stats, I'm pretty sure I could find the average but it wouldn't tell you anything. We have those with a really high MCAT and low GPA or less competitive MCAT and high GPA. Some have both high MCAT and high GPA. Some have low of both. What I am saying is the student profile is the same as most med schools: competitive applicants or competitive applicants with flaws. Don't forget you must have been waitlisted at a US med school to apply so at least one admissions committee has to have believed you were capable. I would say if you are waitlisted just apply. I know that a lot of us (including me) came off the waitlist for ACP which meant that people who were accepted for the program ended up getting to their school.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Just for a more specific reference, my personal statement was a little over one page.

Hello! I'm bummed about all my wait-listings but I'm really excited to apply to the ACP program. I have been talking with a current student at Tulane and he said that it sets you up great for leadership positions. He said almost all the class presidents he remembers have come from ACP? Can anyone confirm/talk more about the leadership opportunities??

Reactions: 1 user
He said almost all the class presidents he remembers have come from ACP? Can anyone confirm/talk more about the leadership opportunities??

This is true. In the last 5 years, I believe four first-year class presidents did ACP. Others have been treasurers, or involved in Medical Student Government (MSG). Not a bad gig.

Anyone marked complete yet?

Does anyone know if the wait list can also include DO schools?

Just threw my name in the hat, best of luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Same! I appreciate that they will get back to us so quickly (mid-June I believe).
I heard back June 11 last year. Don't be discouraged if you are waitlisted since the list moves FAST. Only people waitlisted at medical schools apply to the ACP program so spots open up quick. A good portion of this year's ACP class got off the waitlist. Personally, I was waitlisted and was moved off June 13. If only med school worked like that right?

Reactions: 2 users
I just learned about this program and I'm trying to finish my application as quick as possible because the dead line is on the 25th + the fact that everything has to be physically mailed to them is stressing me out.
Did anyone email their recommendation letters or did everyone sent them via snail mail?

I just learned about this program and I'm trying to finish my application as quick as possible because the dead line is on the 25th + the fact that everything has to be physically mailed to them is stressing me out.
Did anyone email their recommendation letters or did everyone sent them via snail mail?

The only thing that has to be mailed is the application fee. You can email Ms. Shannon Dawsey at [email protected] (further info at http://tulane.edu/som/departments/scb/acp.cfm) to confirm. She also emailed me last year and told me everything could be sent by email.

Oh man you have no idea how much I appreciate this info! Thank you very much! I called them yesterday and Pam answered and said that Lucy handles everything related to ACP and that she would get back to me but never did :( I called again but it was already 4 o'clock in New Orleans so they were closed. I'll try to contact them again today and see if I can send the info to them. Again, thank you.

Does anyone know if they send a confirmation when your application is complete?

Oh man you have no idea how much I appreciate this info! Thank you very much! I called them yesterday and Pam answered and said that Lucy handles everything related to ACP and that she would get back to me but never did :( I called again but it was already 4 o'clock in New Orleans so they were closed. I'll try to contact them again today and see if I can send the info to them. Again, thank you.
Why don't you just email, fax, or overnight delivery it in and call to confirm they received it?

I emailed all the documents to Ms. Dawsey, and sent my letters through Interfolio to her email. The only thing I sent via postal mail was the check for the application fee.

I received a complete email about a month after I sent everything in. I think regardless of our complete date, we will all hear back in June.

FYI to anyone who is planning on calling Shannon this morning to confirm they were complete....she is trying to quickly get everyone's applications organized and will try to email everyone before lunchtime. If you haven't received an email by this afternoon, call her then. She seemed pretty busy so I don't think calling her in the morning will yield anything.

Is it required that you TA the following year if you end up at Tulane or just strongly suggested?

Has anyone received a confirmation email this week?

Last edited:
Has anyone received a confirmation email this week?
Nope

Edit: Just called and confirmed I was complete.
Edit2: got the email within 30 mins of calling

Last edited:
I just got a complete email as well. It also said that I will hear back via email in early June.

When are decisions going to be made? I thought that they were gonna meet the beginning of June.

When are decisions going to be made? I thought that they were gonna meet the beginning of June.
I'm guessing this week or next we will hear something, so it shouldn't be much more of a wait. And since everyone is already on a wait list and has been waiting for months on that decision another week shouldn't be too bad lol

Just got the email this morning! I got in :)

First acceptance I've recieved since starting this whole grueling process last year (I know it's not a medical school it's still a nice feeling). I hope you all hear good news as well!

First acceptance I've recieved since starting this whole grueling process last year (I know it's not a medical school it's still a nice feeling). I hope you all hear good news as well!
+1, are you set on going? I already started a post bacc program but it's more expensive.

I got put on the alternate list just now. Was really banking on this program, hopefully I can get a spot if anyone withdraws :xf:

Just got on the alternate list as well. I really hope it moves quickly enough to make my decision. I was accepted to the masters in genetics in Tulane but I believe there is a better probability of entering the medical school directly from the ACP so I'm staying hopeful.

Congratulations. Did your acceptance letter say how long you had to make a decision?

Congratulations. Did your acceptance letter say how long you had to make a decision?

June 22nd. And best of luck to you, I've seen in the past years threads there's a ton of waitlist movement.

This program has one of the most irritatingly worded waitlist letters ever:
"After thorough review of your application, we are convinced you have the qualities necessary to perform well in medical school, if given the opportunity. "

It's like really?! If you're convinced I have the qualities necessary to perform well in medical school, if given the opportunity, then why not give me the opportunity instead of stringing me out on another waitlist?!

From speaking with a current student it seems like most of the people came off at the end of July for their class. So now we get to hurry up and wait some more. Best of luck to everyone!

Edit: I received an email from Ms. Dawsey this morning and there are 20 applicants on the wait list, so we basically have a 50-50 chance if the statistics from previous years hold true.

Last edited:
I did find it a little funny that we were put on an alternate list from a program that requires you to be on a med school alternate list. Maybe I can apply to another program with my ACP alternate list ;)

Haha all jokes aside best of luck to you all. Hopefully we hear something soon

I think there is often last minute movement as people get off of other waitlists.

I did find it a little funny that we were put on an alternate list from a program that requires you to be on a med school alternate list. Maybe I can apply to another program with my ACP alternate list ;)

Haha all jokes aside best of luck to you all. Hopefully we hear something soon

Yea you too. Also the average mcat for ppl in this program is like a 33. It's like really?! Where are low mcat pplz supposed to go when postbaccs are mainly for low gpas and SMPs do this to us.

I think there is often last minute movement as people get off of other waitlists.

Gotta love last minute movement...nope. I wish we had more advanced notice, it takes so much time and resources to plan things and figure them out.

For those accepted, I would suggest joining the Tulane School of Medicine class of 2019 Facebook group. You will be heavily integrated into the medical class and it will help for last minute housing or questions to join the group. Besides, there are plenty of people moving off the waitlist in the summer who will also be scrambling for schtuff. Also join the Tulane ACP 2015-2016 Facebook group for more info during the year.

Last edited:
For those accepted, I would suggest joining the Tulane School of Medicine class of 2019 Facebook group. You will be heavily integrated into the medical class and it will help for last minute housing or questions to join the group. Besides, there are plenty of people moving off the waitlist in the summer who will also be scrambling for schtuff. Also join the Tulane ACP 2015-2016 Facebook group for more info during the year.

Thanks so much. Has the Tulane 2015-16 fb group already been made?

Yea you too. Also the average mcat for ppl in this program is like a 33. It's like really?! Where are low mcat pplz supposed to go when postbaccs are mainly for low gpas and SMPs do this to us.

Well, to be fair, this is one of the most sought after programs because of the "linkage" (not officially, but almost the entire class gets into Tulane SOM). So naturally, the average stats will be higher. Especially when Tulane SOM median MCAT is a 33, and the 10th percentile is a 30.

Gotta love last minute movement...nope. I wish we had more advanced notice, it takes so much time and resources to plan things and figure them out.

Dude you are having way too much anxiety over these wait lists. Everyone here is basically in the same boat. If you really want to be a physician it shouldn't matter what you have to do to achieve it. Just let the process play out and see where the chips fall, there is nothing more you can do for this application cycle.

Dude you are having way too much anxiety over these wait lists. Everyone here is basically in the same boat. If you really want to be a physician it shouldn't matter what you have to do to achieve it. Just let the process play out and see where the chips fall, there is nothing more you can do for this application cycle.

Give me a break. I've been on waitlists since October 15th (the first day we can know decisions), and almost no schools have been forethcoming or transparent. It doesn't matter what I have to do to achieve it because I want to pursue medicine. This process is so ridiculously drawn-out in every way for those like myself. I'm financially depleted from cross-country interviews, three jobs, and pouring almost all my remaining money into SMPs and reapplication, and I'm depleted in just about every other way by this process. Doing everything in our power, and then getting obliterated is not easy on any of us. I'm sure you understand.

Well, to be fair, this is one of the most sought after programs because of the "linkage" (not officially, but almost the entire class gets into Tulane SOM). So naturally, the average stats will be higher. Especially when Tulane SOM median MCAT is a 33, and the 10th percentile is a 30.

The other ones also have mcat averages over 30 as well for the most part. Though a program like this would really benefit those with lower mcats considering we have FEW options, aside from risking taking the test again. People in postbaccs have GPA boosters. We have a few programs like this, reapplying, or retaking an entirely new test and hoping the chips fall the way we want them. Hearing "you're not good enough because your mcat is a few pts too low" in a program that would really benefit those of us with lower mcats in a significantly is a slap in the face.

Think of it this way:
You do slightly below average (in terms of matriculate data, not below average on the mcat curve) on the mcat. Succeeding in medical school coursework and having the opportunity to improve your standardized test scores and be trained to think in a mindset that is beneficial for standardized test taking would be profoundly useful to those of us with slightly low mcats.

Last edited:
Keep it together Coleworld, all your hard work will eventually give you results. Most of us are like you, having to bust our ass to pay for all that crap and not seeing the fruits of our labors. But be patient, we are very close now. One day after you make it, you are going to look back at all these exhausting adventures and realize that it was all worth it. Keep your head up lad