Tulane Housing - Deming - What have you heard?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BallerinaTina16

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
so i'm set to start at Tulane this fall, class of 2010. i have been reading up on deming housing pavillion. anybody heard anything positive or negative? and i cant seem to find any certain information about how roomies are assigned (i'm interested in a 2 bed/2bath).

Members don't see this ad.

BallerinaTina16 said:
so i'm set to start at Tulane this fall, class of 2010. i have been reading up on deming housing pavillion. anybody heard anything positive or negative? and i cant seem to find any certain information about how roomies are assigned (i'm interested in a 2 bed/2bath).

Deming's ok, it's not the best but certainly not the worst option out there. Some people find it a bit confining. If you're concerned about how operational it is I was there yesterday and other than the fact the exercize room is still empty and I didn't see any vending machines brought in yet I'd say the place is more or less 100% back to normal.

from what i hear, deming is the place to be. its where a majority of the med students will be living so you will live right down the hall from classmates. furthermore, the housing accomodations are money. i stayed in a one bedroom/one bath for my interview and it was pretty spacious. i mean it was very standard and dormish but we won't be doing much but sleeping there anyway. i'm also gonna put down a 2 bedroom/2 bath and just cross my finger that i don't get a whacko. unless people that know me from the boards think we'd get along, PM me or something
-mota

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been looking at this and I'm going to apply for a 1 bed/1 bath at Deming as well. It just seems to crazy/expensive to find housing that will be anywhere from 1 - 3 miles from classes and trying to find a place to park each day and what not. I'm hoping this won't be as bad as I'm thinking living in a dorm. is going to be....I've been trying to find out more as well and it's been difficult...

I lived in Deming while I was doing my MPH. It is really a good place to be because it is so close to everything related to the med school. The only down sides are that the uptown gym is about 15-20 min away depending on traffic, and the windows are bolted shut (seriously) b/c the apt. manager said that opening the windows allows outside humidity in and it encourages the growth of mold.

When/how do we request rooms at Deming?

i met some tulane med kids over the weekend at sxsw (music festival in austin..my boys bandmates sister and her friends) and they said 'you dont want to live in deming.' apparently, the landlord harassed or assaulted one of em, i dont know. but maybe that chick just had a bad experience. i dunno what im gonna do yet either. i called deming today actually to see if i could crash there while im in NO in early april..f'ers havent called me back yet..i told the chicks i wanted to buy too and they were all 'dont buy'. so i dont know. pm me if you want to know more about the chicks heh.

idealist said:
i met some tulane med kids over the weekend at sxsw (music festival in austin..my boys bandmates sister and her friends) and they said 'you dont want to live in deming.' apparently, the landlord harassed or assaulted one of em, i dont know. but maybe that chick just had a bad experience. i dunno what im gonna do yet either. i called deming today actually to see if i could crash there while im in NO in early april..f'ers havent called me back yet..i told the chicks i wanted to buy too and they were all 'dont buy'. so i dont know. pm me if you want to know more about the chicks heh.

ya the guy has a reputation of being a womanizer. i actually had a beer with him the night before my interview while he was doing my paperwork or whatever (cuz i was staying there for 3 nights). he knocked up some girl in college when he was 19 so he has like a 7 year old kid. so he probably has some weird thing for younger women. but has also probably toned it down a bit. but who cares, you'd probably see this guy once a month at most. and i've spoken to dozens of people about deming and only heard a couple of bad things. a majority of the class is gonna be living at deming. the place is gonna be blowin up every weekend. you should live there.
-mota

BallerinaTina16 said:

My brother lived in Deming last year. He said the location was good, but it was extremely overpriced and the apartment were more like tiny dorm rooms. He recommended finding a roomate and living off campus

nobody is getting a studio at deming???

theunderdog said:
nobody is getting a studio at deming???
I am, and other people on this forum as well

i was seriously debating the studio vs. roommate thing. i know having a roommate will really enlarge the social network of friends.. but at the same time, i like my own privacy of a studio... anyone else have similar conflicts?

Members don't see this ad :)
olander said:
My brother lived in Deming last year. He said the location was good, but it was extremely overpriced and the apartment were more like tiny dorm rooms. He recommended finding a roomate and living off campus

I will be looking for a off-campus place. The only advantage that Deming has is its location to the med school. The area were Deming is very ugly and depressing (surronded by hospital buildings, freeways and housing projects) with few amenties. I don't know if I can swing it but I would like to find a place some where around Audobon Park but the Bywater neigborhood (just Down River from the French Quarter) seems like it would be cool and not too expensive.

theunderdog said:
i was seriously debating the studio vs. roommate thing. i know having a roommate will really enlarge the social network of friends.. but at the same time, i like my own privacy of a studio... anyone else have similar conflicts?

Yeah I felt the same way, I designated studio on my app, but I wouldn't mind a two bedroom. Most of deming is studios anyway, and people will be able to socialize just being in the building, so I am not worried about having a studio and missing out. Either way, being at deming will lend itself to being able to get to the fellow students.

I was a grad student at Tulane last year and I lived in Deming then. I know a lot of people don't like it, and I admit that uptown has much more culture and things to see, but I'm a sucker for convenience and you can't really beat Deming with regards to that. I'm planning on living there again this summer and fall. Location, inclusion of cable and high-speed internet, and decent (though not great) rent is reason enough, not to mention the presence of several classmates.

I just talked to Bill Couret, the manager of Deming, today. Spots are filling up pretty fast for August, and while I'm sure you'll get a place there if you want one, if you have a particular preference with regards to room style, I recommend sending in an application early in April.

theunderdog said:

If there's anything I learned from undergrad as a seasoned resident advisor, whether you have a single will RARELY make a difference in your social scene, unless you happen to jive really well with your roommate and become lifelong friends (1-5% of the case).

How about the studio vs large studio debate? $50 can buy many peanuts.

i'm going with single bedroom and then large studio. who's with me
-mota

I am going studio or large studio depending on availibility, having a small space as long as its my space doesn't really bother me.

KAI1927 said:
I am going studio or large studio depending on availibility, having a small space as long as its my space doesn't really bother me.

3 questions:

1. how do you write first choice and second choice on the application?

2. it's a 9 or 10 month rent right? since school starts august and ends in late may??

3. a large studio is just one person and no roomate?

thanks!

theunderdog said:
3 questions:

1. how do you write first choice and second choice on the application?

2. it's a 9 or 10 month rent right? since school starts august and ends in late may??

3. a large studio is just one person and no roomate?

thanks!
I just actually wrote it in using a pen on the app(#1, #2 etc), call 504-988-6275 to make sure, nothing structured (its the south, j/k). Its a 10 month (august, end of may. Anything but a two bedroom is just one person (studio, large studio, one bedroom), so no roomates (90% of deming is single units). Hope this helps

how soon we will get a response? i.e. should we be looking for back ups in the meantime?

Um, okay, long time lurker and first time poster. I'll be going to Tulane this fall (and I am so excited!) and it's time to start thinking about housing. I went to Tulane undergrad and did the whole living on campus thing and I am not eager to do it again. I was wondering if anyone would be interested in looking for a place together as the more bedrooms you get, the more reasonable the prices get! I'll be in town for the first weekend of Jazzfest, April 28-May 2, if anyone wants to meet up, catch some Meters, Rebirth, Dylan... I realize it's the middle of the night most places and not too many of you are up right now (I do sleep studies so this is my normal work time) but if anyone is interested, let me know.

Alli

whom did y'all make your deming checks out to? "deming pavilion"?
-mota

drmota said:
whom did y'all make your deming checks out to? "deming pavilion"?
-mota

I went with "Tulane University Medical Housing."

Deming is great for short term stays. Unfortunately the windows are bolted shut, with dehumidified air pumped in replacement of fresh air. If you are claustrophobic, beware. The bathroom fans are not working as a result but I rarely feel like my room is uncomfortable. You are also able to control your own air conditioner. The skywalks take you from Deming to the hospital, parking structures, and to the medical school.

The only downside are the people who manage the building. I have heard and witnessed unjustified intrusions. Staff members have entered bedrooms to "drop off packages left by UPS outside the door" and what not, you know just letting themselves in without permission to. Legally, they are allowed to come in for maintenance, but only ones that are essential to the overall function of the room for example a broken refrigerator. I have had roaches in my room, the small ones. They staff were diligent about addressing the pest problems (NOLA is prone to pests anyway, what dirty stinky city isn't?) but what I don't appreciate is the exterminator "methodically" spraying areas of the room that attract roaches, but overlooking the function of say cutting boards and utensils that have been left out. Leaving you with pesticide covered cookware. In addition, when drafting your contract know exactly when to end the contract. They will not let you change it after 30 days after finalizing the contract. In addition, they threaten to take your deposit and bill you a full months rent if you move out before you contract expires. I think they should clarify that detail.

When you e-mail the building manager, you might have to try several times to get her to understand what you're saying . I think she is challenged by an inability to read through an e-mail with more than 2 sentences. Yeah I'm talking about you Katina Walker.

I've stayed there for close to a year and a half now with the same room mate in a 2 bedroom/2 bathroom (at $800 per room utilities, cable, wifi included. A two bedroom/one bath is $700).

Positives:
-My asthma doesn't act up here, which is a big factor.
-Convenience/Location. Attached to the Tulane Medical Hospital and Garage by a walkway, about a two minute walk to the medical school, city hall, school of public health, and the bio-engineering buildings. A couple of minutes across from various locations in the the quarter (which could be a positive or negative). A stop on the Tulane transportation system as well as the airport shuttle. Street cars and buses in front of building. Walgreens around the corner and a subway located below building. About a ten-fifteen minute walk from Rouses (grocery chain) and places in the CBD.
-Maintenance and Utilities paid for. Laundry is free. Small gym downstairs. Staff is friendly and available through e-mails as well. Katina is sweet albeit confusing while Faith's mood varies depending on what complaints she's been dealing with. When a classmate went to renew a contract, they worked to set her up with a room mate she chose. However, this is not the norm.
-Attached (through the hospital) to Matas Library (24 hours with an ID card).
-Furnished (bedrooms vary; mine came with: the aircon since all windows are sealed shut, desk, night table, dresser, closet, long table, lamp).

Negatives:
-Gloomy feeling. Upper levels can hear the (rare) helicopter landing on the medical building and lower levels have a street view if on the outside. Those with rooms facing the courtyard will not enjoy the view.
-If staying with a room mate, they are unknown. Dorm apartment style.
-Poor carpeting and lower levels (below four) may occasionally have bugs.
-Staff may come into the room to deal with a maintenance request without prior warning (other than a knock on the door).
-Aircon needs some adjustment to reach the temperature you are comfortable with.
-Car parking is $80 per month.
-Those on the 2nd floor can hear the garbage pick up at 4:30 am.
-Not close to any parks. City Park is a shuttle ride to Midcity. Tulane transportation is inconvenient at times when trying to get places quickly.
-Expense. Relative to places uptown and Midcity, the price at Deming is a bit more (range for shotgun houses or apartments with room mates range from $400+ without utilities/etc). New Orleans is expensive, Outside of the city is cheaper if willing to pay for parking and commute.

Last edited: