Tulane/private school: worth the $??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Carp

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am considering two schools that I like very much: UT-San Antonio and Tulane. I liked Tulane the best by quite a bit, but the debt!! Ooooh, the debt. It's ranking /prestige is not right at the top (in fact, i'm not too clear on how it's regarded generally), but the students match very well and are enthusiastic about their school. I'd love to hear from students at any of the above mentioned schools in regard to the question which I'm sure is an old topic by now: Is a middle tier private school worth it???

Members don't see this ad.

Is a middle tier private worth it. I'd say no. To pass up a state school the "prestige" factor would have to be pretty strong. At any State U you will get an excellent education with the same opportunities as middle tier private. You just have to decide if the loss in tuition is adequately compensated by a better location or any ego boost a private might provide. (And I'm not being a smartass, "prestige" is a perfectly sound factor in choosing a school- its just how much someone is willing to pay for any added prestige is different for every individual.)