Tulane vs. USF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kenny_Powers

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody, maybe I'll get more traffic here. I was lucky enough to receive acceptances to Tulane and USF, and am waitlisted at a few others. I find myself struggling to make a decision between these two schools and was wondering what others would do in my position. I do have some money from family, but I still must take out a considerable amount of loans. I AM a Florida resident, meaning Tulane is about $20-25K more per year. Any opinions/advice are welcomed. I am particularly interested in available research, clinical opportunities and residency placement. (And yes, I do love NOLA very much.)

Thanks

EDIT: Med school, not undergrad

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Tulane student here-- if I had to take out loans I wouldn't go here, especially because med school is also gonna be a fortune. NOLA is great but it's not worth digging yourself into significant debt. You can have just a good of a college experience at USF. It's all what you make of it. A lot of people come here for spring break. I'm guessing there would be more research opportunities here... but I think you would find plenty opportunities in Florida as well. Let me know if I can answer any more questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
USF unless you're interested in tropical medicine or working with inner city underserved patients.

Save $100,000 go USF.

Reactions: 1 user
Go to Tulane when you end every sentence with "but I want to go to Tulane".

Neither school has anything over the other, as far as your goals are concerned. You should choose USF for the cash.

Cheaper tuition sure has an edge.

Otherwise, we're left ast hot and humid vs hot and humid with great food and zydeco.

Hi everybody, maybe I'll get more traffic here. I was lucky enough to receive acceptances to Tulane and USF, and am waitlisted at a few others. I find myself struggling to make a decision between these two schools and was wondering what others would do in my position. I do have some money from family, but I still must take out a considerable amount of loans. I AM a Florida resident, meaning Tulane is about $20-25K more per year. Any opinions/advice are welcomed. I am particularly interested in available research, clinical opportunities and residency placement. (And yes, I do love NOLA very much.)

Thanks

Reactions: 1 users
"I really want to go to Tulane, but I ought to go to this cheaper school". These folks should go to Tulane. They will love it. The reality of Tulane really does match the fantasy.

"I love Tulane, and I also like this other cheaper school". These people should go to the other school, and visit New Orleans during festival season, which usually runs from March to February.

The distinction is subtle. It just sounds to me like the posters in this thread fall into the second category.

Thanks

I'm in the same boat! 2 positively awesome schools. Did you get accepted to CORE or SELECT?

I am a graduate student doing stroke research at USFCOM and can attest for their research. Everybody that I have met there is extremely nice and helpful. In my opinion their medical school is very nice and have enjoyed my time there very much. I know they have been interviewing candidates to expand their core areas which will open up more research opportunities.

Reactions: 1 user