Tumescent Liposuction swelling

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

happycath

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Caring for a patient who is experiencing some difficulties following a tumescent liposuction procedure last week of abs, flanks, buttocks and thighs. 3000 cc were removed. Patient has not been wearing the compression garment as often as instructed and is now swollen from the navel to knees. There is also a bump in the LLQ. Patient states that her surgeon told her there may be some bumps like this which can be massaged away. I've never heard of this.

What are some ways to help reduce this type of swelling? Is it likely from the procedure (and not wearing the compression garment as often as needed), or is it from the liquids injected during the procedure?

Also, if patient begins to wear her garment will this help reduce the swelling? She also states she has been putting ice bags on her legs for pain and swelling.

Members don't see this ad.

3 liters of fat were removed, the patient doesn't follow the surgeon's instructions, and you are surprised by postop swelling??

I am an RN.

Does anyone have any answers or suggestions to the questions I asked?
Thanks!