Tumor Markers: S100 for astrocytomas?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swtiepie711

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
On p217 of FA it says S-100 is for "melanoma, neural tumors, astrocytomas." On a UW question I just had, it says for melanoma, schwannomas and NOT meningiomas, glioblastomas, optic gliomas.

Glioblastomas can be like GBM, which is an astrocyte tumor. These leads me to think one of these sources is incorrect (leaning toward FA being incorrect). Anyone know anything about this? Or does it even matter (at this level, obviously to a pathologist, it matters - but we're 2nd year med students!)

Members don't see this ad.

I saw the same thing earlier today and too am leaning towards FA being incorrect.

On p217 of FA it says S-100 is for "melanoma, neural tumors, astrocytomas." On a UW question I just had, it says for melanoma, schwannomas and NOT meningiomas, glioblastomas, optic gliomas.

Glioblastomas can be like GBM, which is an astrocyte tumor. These leads me to think one of these sources is incorrect (leaning toward FA being incorrect). Anyone know anything about this? Or does it even matter (at this level, obviously to a pathologist, it matters - but we're 2nd year med students!)

Think FA is right...damn i always assumed UW was infallible.

S100

Acidic protein, 100% Soluble in ammonium sulfate at neutral pH (derivation of name) no known function but binds calcium

Structurally similar to calmodulin
Interpretation: protein present in cytoplasm and nucleus; staining of both usually required to call positive

Positive staining (normal): Neural crest (Schwann cells, melanocytes, glial cells), chondrocytes, adipocytes, myoepithelial cells, macrophages, Langerhans cells, dendritic cells; some breast epithelial cells

Positive staining (tumors): 95% of melanomas (including desmoplastic and spindle cell tumors), 50% of malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumors, clear cell sarcomas, occasional breast and undifferentiated carcinomas

Negative staining: fibroblasts, perineural cells, cardiac sarcomas.

from http://pathologyoutlines.com

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=193566

I originally thoguht s100 was just for neural crest cells. I guess not.

Members don't see this ad :)
its 2010 and this post is the highest listed on google when you search "S100 astrocytoma".

I am also confused because I did doctors in training recently, and I just did the uworld question mentioned above. DIT said to think of S100 as the marker with tuberous sclerosis and increased incidence of astrocytomas.

This is really annoying.

So according to robbins and cotran 8th ed. S-100 immunoreactivity is associated with Schwannomas.

Source: Robbins and Cotran Pathological basis of disease 8th ed. pg 1341 ,

this is a solid source so i would go with this book over any other review programs...

So according to robbins and cotran 8th ed. S-100 immunoreactivity is associated with Schwannomas.

Source: Robbins and Cotran Pathological basis of disease 8th ed. pg 1341 ,

this is a solid source so i would go with this book over any other review programs...

You're 2 years too late

You're 2 years too late

People find these threads using the search function. I just dredged this thread up from the top of a google search when I was trying to research the EXACT SAME discrepancy. Thanks for the reference, Bonogul.

Also, if anyone cares at this point, if you goto the neuro tumor section of FA you'll see that schwannoma has the S-100 marker. Also, glioblastoma and pilocytic astrocytoma both do not have S100 according the the table.

Basically, FA is inconsistent, which isn't much of a surprise considering they also have the same errors year after year...

The S-100 marker is present in MELANOMA's and Schwannoma's.....coincidence? I THINK NOT! LOL

Both are neural crest in origin so they have an S-100 marker. Every other brain tumor or skin cancer does not have an S-100 marker.

Do adrenal medulla tumors (pheochromocytoma's) have S-100 markers???