Tumors of the basal ganglia, first surgeries?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Grosny

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!
I am interested in surgeries of tumors of the basal ganglia, namely the thalamus, and would like to find out more about the first surgeries performed on such tumors and the neurosurgeons that performed them or at least described them. Where could I find more information?
Thank you.
grin.png

Members don't see this ad.

Tumors of the basal ganglia can be quite varied, but most neurosurgeons will treat this region of the brain with a LOT of respect…translation: tumors in the basal ganglia are biopsied and not resected. The biggest concern for tumors in this region is that they will create mass effect on the third ventricle and cause an obstructive hydrocephalus. This can be dealt with in a pretty straightforward manner (external ventricular drain with the endpoint being a shunt).

Nowadays we use something called an exoscope and BrainPath (made by NICO) combined with advanced imaging techniques to access deep brain pathology like hypertensive basal ganglia bleeds and tumors in this same region. This is not widely practiced and there are few centers that have extensive experience with this modality, but it is and likely will gain momentum and the indications for its use will be proven in the years to come.

Alternatively, thalamic lesions that reach the medical surface at the interface with the third ventricle (i.e. cavernous malformations) can be approached through the ventricle itself using microneurosurgical technique and the operating microscope (i.e. interhemispheric, transcallosal, para/interforniceal approach).

Hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 user