turning down undergrad early admission to med school and applying elsewhere

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aint settling

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
close thread

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Not an expert on the admissions process at all, but my advice to you is this:

With a 4.0 gpa and a 33 MCAT, you would stand a fair shot at top 25 schools for certain. You already put in the hard work and effort to get there.

Besides, it sounds like you're going to seriously regret it if you don't give it a shot.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not an expert on the admissions process at all, but my advice to you is this:

With a 4.0 gpa and a 33 MCAT, you would stand a fair shot at top 25 schools for certain. You already put in the hard work and effort to get there.

Besides, it sounds like you're going to seriously regret it if you don't give it a shot.

Not sure about top 25 but if you have amazing ecs and if you can get your MCAT to a 35 you'll be in excellent shape=]

Keep in mind that the Top schools are ranked as such due to their emphasis on research and the high amount of research funding they receive. Two-plus years of a substantive research experience would make your chances better, along with strong leadership if you're aiming for the most selective schools.

Also, if you rank schools by selectivity, it isn't until you look at the ~29th school that the median MCAT score is below a 34.

It's my understanding that withdrawing from your early assurance med school will not count as a mark against you, but keep in mind that folks with great stats don't always get an acceptance, possibly due to red flags in LORs, poorly written Personal Statement, insufficient ECs for a given school, or shakey interview skills.

Also, a 33 on practice tests does't necessarily equate to a 33 on the real thing, so you might wait until you get the score report back before withdrawing.