TUSPM Class of 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theaznfishy

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Congrats on everyone's acceptance!

I was wondering for those looking at housing, are you planning on dorming on campus or finding off campus housing?

Members don't see this ad.

I got accepted as well! I know student housing 1 bedroom units have a long wait-list, even including students who requested them from last year. So there's a higher chance you'd get a 2-bedroom unit with a roommate :S Any current students care to chip in on where they are living?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was thinking of living off campus with a roomate! If I didnt find anything then definitely on campus.

Unless you have time to visit Philly and explore the neighborhoods, I'd advise the dorms. Not too bad, Center City, bed to class. Find a roomy from there. If you are looking for your own place, Chinatown (2nd fl and above), South St., Old City, …so many neighborhoods to suite the individual needs. Feel free to PM me about neighborhoods….there are SO MANY in Philly. Everyone can feel at home.

I got accepted as well! I am planning on living on campus my first year because I am not from Philly.

I'm planning on living on campus as well, to my understanding, they don't start accepting applications for housing till march? Can someone confirm this?

I'm planning on living on campus as well, to my understanding, they don't start accepting applications for housing till march? Can someone confirm this?
March is when you actually pick the room, but I think you can put in a deposit for your spot anytime

Just got accepted here a few days ago. Loved Philadelphia but wasn't feelin the dorms. I've seen from past threads that Old City is a good area, and I've also heard of some good apartments even closer to the school (Warehouse and Pearl). Any current students or others in the know have any suggestions as to good areas? Also, are most people on here set on Temple? I'm still trying to decide between Temple and NYCPM and wondered whether anyone else was having the same dilemma.

Just got accepted here a few days ago. Loved Philadelphia but wasn't feelin the dorms. I've seen from past threads that Old City is a good area, and I've also heard of some good apartments even closer to the school (Warehouse and Pearl). Any current students or others in the know have any suggestions as to good areas? Also, are most people on here set on Temple? I'm still trying to decide between Temple and NYCPM and wondered whether anyone else was having the same dilemma.

I was accepted to NYCPM, DMU, and TUSPM. I ultimately wanted to stay closer to home, so it became a decision between NYCPM and TUSPM for me as well. They are pretty much the same with respect to the fact that they both have a large clinic attached to the school, the same cost of living, and similar academic quality. But when I interviewed in NY, I felt like the clinic was very tiny and felt crowded in the narrow hallways and small patient rooms. The surgery center was in the basement and pretty run down. Also I don't think New York City was the best fit for me, so I preferred Philly's atmosphere better. It's all about where you can see yourself in the next 4+ years since they all are good schools academic wise.

Sorry to hijack this thread, but just wanted to make a couple comments: we don't actually do any surgeries in the mini-OR downstairs except for maybe hardware removal or the occasional nail procedure. All the OR cases are at Lincoln or Metropolitan Hospitals. The mini-OR is mainly used for teaching us how to properly scrub in. Apart from FCNY (the clinic attached to our school), we rotate through 5 others hospitals during 3rd year (Metropolitan, Harlem, Lincoln, Morrisania, Mt. Sinai), and then it expands to something like 10 hospitals 4th year (this doesn't even include the various hospitals you'd be doing externships at.)

In the end you're absolutely correct though. Choose the school that is best for you.

Best of luck!

I was accepted to NYCPM, DMU, and TUSPM. I ultimately wanted to stay closer to home, so it became a decision between NYCPM and TUSPM for me as well. They are pretty much the same with respect to the fact that they both have a large clinic attached to the school, the same cost of living, and similar academic quality. But when I interviewed in NY, I felt like the clinic was very tiny and felt crowded in the narrow hallways and small patient rooms. The surgery center was in the basement and pretty run down. Also I don't think New York City was the best fit for me, so I preferred Philly's atmosphere better. It's all about where you can see yourself in the next 4+ years since they all are good schools academic wise.

Thanks for that info. How easy it to get around Philadelphia with the buses, subway, rails? I wouldn't want to bring a car to Philadelphia, so I was wondering if I would ever run into trouble getting to hospitals during third/fourth year or for just getting around to get groceries, go to the main campus, or going out to eat/to a bar? Also, does Temple have a gym in their building or would I have to go to the main campus, or are there gyms around town that I could just get a membership to? And lastly, how do you like the curriculum and the exam schedule? On an average day, would you say you're in lecture for 4 hours or closer to 8 like some schools?

Off topic but to the people who were accepted, what were your stats? Also did y'all volunteer, research, or what? Thank you!

Off topic but to the people who were accepted, what were your stats? Also did y'all volunteer, research, or what? Thank you!

31S, 3.8ish, lots of volunteering (free clinic and some other stuff), biomechanics research on foot/ankle, internship at a cardiac rehab clinic, and currently work at a hospital.

Hey all, I have my interview at Temple on May 23rd and was wondering if anyone here could shed some light on the interview process/questions? Congrats to all of you have been accepted so far!!

When I interviewed at Temple they showed us the dorms...honestly I couldn't live there. Really depressing looking