Tutoring/Teaching: How IMPORTANT is this as an EC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kikiu

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I wa just wondering: HOW important is teaching/tutoring upon the application? Is it an 'almost requirement' (like clinical exposure, volunteering, research--to some schools)? Or is it merely looked upon as a 'nice activity, but not essential'?

I am asking this beacause I am antipating a very busy schedule this year along with a rigorous course schedule:
-8-12 hours of lab work a week (work-study) in a biology or psych lab
-at least 3 hours of week invovled in a nutrition peer education program
-5 hours a week involved as being the chair to an important non-profit organization fundraiser & awareness week on campus
-volunteering in a pediatric children's ward 4 hours a week

I also am an avid runner, and am also considering becoming involved in a Big's & Little's organization on campus to be a mentor to a younger kid from an underserved area. I really feel like I might be swamped with ECs the way it is---let alone adding another 3 hours a week of tutoring.

Basically, if I have an extremely strong resume of strong ECs, will no 'tutoring/teaching experience' negatively stand out or should I just suck it up and do it anyway? I would enjoy doing it, I just am a bit nervous about over-committing myself to too many things.

Those are good EC's. Tutoring experience helps because it implies that you have good communication skills and may have an easy time of counseling patients, teaching medical students when you're a resident, etc. But with your EC commitment you should avoid spreading yourself too thin. They already convey the sense that you know how to communicate and lead.

teaching is just something else you CAN do but it is far from something you HAVE to do.

I opted to do teaching instead of research because I love teaching and think research is only slightly more interesting than paint drying

Members don't see this ad :)
teaching is just something else you CAN do but it is far from something you HAVE to do.

I opted to do teaching instead of research because I love teaching and think research is only slightly more interesting than paint drying

I agree. Teaching is optional and not a requirement by any means. Many institutions prefer research but it can be a double-edged sword because listing it could send the message that you prefer to work in isolation and are not a good people person if there's nothing else to counter that image. So if you do research, you probably want to mention some EC that puts you in contact with a lot of people and that would allow you plenty of opportunities to use your communication skill. Team sports are a good thing to list because it implies physical fitness and ability to work with others, and it helps to counter the image of a socially inept lab technician.

I couldn't agree more. Also, many doctors acknowledge that teaching is a valuable skill for a physician to possess. Teaching a patient about their condition and treatment increases the likelihood that the patient will comply with the treatment.

Do it if you like doing it. Don't do it just to impress adcoms.

Nobody is going to be able to tick off every single thing that adcoms like; as long as you've got some of them and do them well, that's all they could hope for.

I agree. Teaching is optional and not a requirement by any means. Many institutions prefer research but it can be a double-edged sword because listing it could send the message that you prefer to work in isolation and are not a good people person if there's nothing else to counter that image. So if you do research, you probably want to mention some EC that puts you in contact with a lot of people and that would allow you plenty of opportunities to use your communication skill. Team sports are a good thing to list because it implies physical fitness and ability to work with others, and it helps to counter the image of a socially inept lab technician.

Hey Top Secret, you seem to have a lot of advice for us pre-meds. Thanks for spending your time here on the forum. Just out of curiosity and if you don't mind answering, as an attending, do you work with admissions at any medical school?

Hey Top Secret, you seem to have a lot of advice for us pre-meds. Thanks for spending your time here on the forum. Just out of curiosity and if you don't mind answering, as an attending, do you work with admissions at any medical school?

No, not currently. But I know people at a lot of different institutions and I know what goes on behind closed doors.

Thanks, guys. I don't think I am going to be doing tutoring. :) I really feel like I might be pushing the limit this semester with handling ECs and grades--especially with O-Chem, Genetics, and Calc. If I think I can handle more with still maintaining a good social life and maintaining my GPA so far, perhaps I will TA or tutor next semester or next year.

Thanks for the advice!!