Tutoring

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ben25

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be a sophomore in the fall. I was wondering if tutoring was a good idea? I was asked by the academic support office at pitt to tutor gen chem 1 and 2, and also calc 1. It seems like this would take a lot of time.

Members don't see this ad.

Its up to you... but I bet you a crapload of people on here tutor and also list it as an Extracurricular activity on their application. If you just looking for a job... find something thats really unique and something you would enjoy. If your strapped for cash, then go with tutoring.

Hey I'm at Pitt for summer:) But I'm probably going to be tutoring bio subjects at my school this fall...can't you make your own hours tutoring? I don't think it'll take up that much time & it'll be a good reinforcement of those subjects for you to teach someone else.

Members don't see this ad :)
if you haven't taken the MCAT yet, tutoring (especially in chem/physics) keeps you fresh on these topics, which is going to help out a lot when it comes to reviewing/studying for the beast.

Tutoring is great, do it... but you definitely need to have some people skills.

hahahabiff.jpg

"Ha Ha Ha, Biff. Guess what? After we
go to the drug store and the post office,
I'm going to the vet's to get tutored."

Tutoring and TAing, best experiences I've had in undergrad!

Depending on your institution, tutoring might be very flexible and you may actually be able to decide when and where you want to tutor. So, ask about the job first!

I will be a sophomore in the fall. I was wondering if tutoring was a good idea? I was asked by the academic support office at pitt to tutor gen chem 1 and 2, and also calc 1. It seems like this would take a lot of time.

Usually, tutor positions on campus are very flexible as far as scheduling goes, and I agree with the others, great way to keep the info in your head after you finish the course.

Personally I'm going to tutor chem 1 at the very least just because chem is fun. *shrugs* and before you ask, yeah I'm probably sick and twisted for thinking that, but I haven't started talking to myself yet so it's all good.