Tutoring

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mopp22

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do you all go about getting a tutoring position in your college/uni? Do you have to be offered or can you ask to become a tutor? Also, how did you find the experience....opinons? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on the university. I'm pretty sure mine has a tutor program that you can apply to. You don't need to have experience (again, different for different schools) but you need to have done well in the courses you want to tutor for.

There are also private tutoring programs that are pretty easy to sign up for. You can probably find them through your school's student employment website.

Wow that was quick, thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
How do you all go about getting a tutoring position in your college/uni? Do you have to be offered or can you ask to become a tutor? Also, how did you find the experience....opinons? Thanks.

At my school they hire students to tutor specific freshman classes that students traditionally have trouble in (ie Calculus, physics, chemistry, etc). All that's required is that you received an A in the class you wish to tutor and that you get interviewed.

The best way to tutor, IMO, is to do it privately because you'll make more money. I started doing this my junior year and relied on word-of-mouth to get business. Tutoring is great experience and looks good on applications. I highly recommend it :thumbup:

Thanks, its not really about the money for me, but it would be a plus and hardly a bad thing haha. What do you mean by privately? How did you go about that?

Thanks, its not really about the money for me, but it would be a plus and hardly a bad thing haha. What do you mean by privately? How did you go about that?

If it's not about money you can always do volunteer tutoring at an underprivileged high school nearby. I did that for a couple of years and it seems like they can always use good science tutors.

Privately just means you work for yourself as an independent contractor. You set your own rates and don't pay a hiring service any overhead. There's also the upside of setting your own hours. I had a couple of friends that asked me to give test review for intro science classes and then they started telling their friends about me. Word about good tutors travels fast

Many departments that students traditionally find difficult keep a list of private tutors. If you have gotten good grades in these subjects, especially if you have a professor to recommend you, you can ask to be placed on this list. You set your own fees so it pays a lot more than the campus tutoring program.

Once you are in the campus tutoring center getting your name on the department lists is super easy.

At my school if you get an A and a recommendation from the professor you can do it. It's the best job I've had in a while.

Thanks, good to know you enjoyed it.

I've been tutoring for a while and I absolutely love it. I think it's a great experience for medical school, too, because you spend your time "diagnosing" problems and working with students to solve them. You learn to be really, really patient, too :) And they say that the best way to learn something yourself is to teach it!

That's true, I find that I retain the info better when I explain it to someone.

Members don't see this ad :)
I tutored kind of informally last year, and I got a job tutoring at my college this year. It really is a great job. You never understand the material as well as you do after teaching it to a couple hundred people.

As far as getting a job, at least at my college as long as you have done well in the courses you want to tutor in, they will take you.

I tutored a chemistry class for 2 semesters. In my school, they mainly choose master students to tutor a class because its a requirement for some of them. But I wanted to do it so bad... I remember emailing them 5-6 times and even calling them at least 3 times.......even stopping by at their office to show myself so that at least they'll realize me. So then I ended up tutoring :D
Its an amazing experience! I don't know how else to describe it ;)

definitely tutor privately-at my school the tutoring "company" (run by students) literally keeps HALF the money that is charged-pretty ridiculous

Kind of piggy-backing off this original question:

I tutor three different students organic chemistry I and II. I do it on my own, on our own schedules, and I do it for free (I knew all of them previously). Is this something I could still put as a volunteer position on the AMCAS? It's not through the school or anything, but I put in a decent amount of time every week, I do it thoroughly, and do (I feel) just as good a job as any of the tutors scheduled through the school.

Thanks.

At my school, Honors program runs tutoring athletics, so I've tutored athletes for over a year in organic chem, biology, and algebra (and do a range of other things). As for my other tutoring job, I had to apply for it like a regular job and had to have A's in those subjects. I tutor a range with them, but have mainly concentrated on biology 1 and now the girl I've tutored all semester is one of the top students in her class, it's pretty cool to watch how they get progressively better (not a good feeling to watch ones that are hopeless, the athlete I tutored for algebra would not do ANY of his work, no matter how much I got him to do, when he wasn't in the sessions, he did nothing and ended up dropping out. My boss apologized to me for it but it was all him :-\). I like tutoring though, it's neat to have people actually learn from you, and I think it helps you learn more about yourself and your learning patterns.

Kind of piggy-backing off this original question:

I tutor three different students organic chemistry I and II. I do it on my own, on our own schedules, and I do it for free (I knew all of them previously). Is this something I could still put as a volunteer position on the AMCAS? It's not through the school or anything, but I put in a decent amount of time every week, I do it thoroughly, and do (I feel) just as good a job as any of the tutors scheduled through the school.

Thanks.

I did this as well, and I put it on my app.