Two-handed handshake at end of panel interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

frankg1401

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was interviewing at a medical school, with a panel of three persons for 50 minutes. At the end of the interview, I stood up, and gave two-handed handshakes to every interviewer. It was something very spontaneous. I guess I wanted to convey genuine sincerity and appreciation for their warmth during the interview. They have been literally smiling to me for the entire 45 minutes, and have shown to really care about what I said. Perhaps I especially wanted to show warmth to a community member who was a lady in her 40s and who has been very sincere, and I decided I need to give the same handshake to other interviewers to be consistent.

But when I did a google search about the two-handed handshakes, I read about how this could only have a negative impact in business settings, as they are generally considered as overly affectionate, aggressive, and manipulative. And I am wondering if there is any input regarding how bad such impact can be. I am an immigrant myself, and this may be a hard way for me to learn about the business etiquette. I have always used the standard single-handed handshakes in all my interviews, and for some reason, I felt that particular occasion was so warm and sincere that I needed to show more sincerity. Perhaps that is also because I have been watching House of Cards lately, and hence the "politician handshakes".... :(

Thanks for all the input. Appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

This sort of over-thinking really needs to be snuffed out.

Will you chill, please? If won't mean a damn thing.

I was interviewing at a medical school, with a panel of three persons for 50 minutes. At the end of the interview, I stood up, and gave two-handed handshakes to every interviewer. It was something very spontaneous. I guess I wanted to convey genuine sincerity and appreciation for their warmth during the interview. They have been literally smiling to me for the entire 45 minutes, and have shown to really care about what I said. Perhaps I especially wanted to show warmth to a community member who was a lady in her 40s and who has been very sincere, and I decided I need to give the same handshake to other interviewers to be consistent.

But when I did a google search about the two-handed handshakes, I read about how this could only have a negative impact in business settings, as they are generally considered as overly affectionate, aggressive, and manipulative. And I am wondering if there is any input regarding how bad such impact can be. I am an immigrant myself, and this may be a hard way for me to learn about the business etiquette. I have always used the standard single-handed handshakes in all my interviews, and for some reason, I felt that particular occasion was so warm and sincere that I needed to show more sincerity. Perhaps that is also because I have been watching House of Cards lately, and hence the "politician handshakes".... :(

Reactions: 29 users
Better overly friendly than coming off as cold/unappreciative. Don't sweat it.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The interview's over. It's not like you can go back in time and re-shake their hands, so stop thinking about it.

Better than the fingertip handshake, or the limp and sweaty handshake, or the the bone crusher handshake.

I've encountered some really limp handshakes. What's up with that?

Fingertip shakes are terrible. lol

Better than the fingertip handshake, or the limp and sweaty handshake, or the the bone crusher handshake.

I'd have to say the fingertip handshake is the worst out of those three.

Reactions: 2 users
pls help I was interviewing and I accidentally applied a little bit of force when I shook interviewer hand. Do you guys know if Caribbean school is good choice?

OP just relax :laugh:

Reactions: 5 users

My dear friend I think you're basically automatically rejected due to this double hand shake. What ever were you thinking?!

EDIT: JK. Dude, I love to be neurotic about things, but even for me this is too much. I'm sure they felt it was a kind gesture, and you're probably not the first person to do this or be frantic about a handshake.

Reactions: 1 user
How dare you be so disrespectful!? You basically spat in their faces and told them you owned their as*ses! This mistake will bring much shame to your family's honor, you are not worthy of the white coat and you will never be until you learn the way of the handshake....

Reactions: 3 users

I hate it when people close their hand around mine prematurely, then I'm left giving them the fingertip handshake. #bighands

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for all the kind replies, everyone! I guess I will need to follow your advice and stop thinking about it :) Thanks!

Dude. Double hand-shake? Whoa. :eyebrow:

A few weeks from now, if OP gets accepted, OP may start telling us that he has found the "secret" to doing well at an interview.

Reactions: 5 users
This sort of over-thinking really needs to be snuffed out.

Will you chill, please? If won't mean a damn thing.

What if at the end of an MMI interview, it was the interviewer that did the double-handed handshake? I'd assume it's a good sign, no?

What if at the end of an MMI interview, it was the interviewer that did the double-handed handshake? I'd assume it's a good sign, no?

Maybe that's how they shake. Good rule of thumb is to stop reading between the lines of an interviewer's interactions. Go in, do your best, walk out, and move on. The rest is out of your hands.

In Korean culture it is considered more respectful to shake with both hands. If the interviewer doesn't come from Korean culture though, this won't apply.

Jesus dude chill out there are about a million better things you could be wasting your time thinking about

That's sweet OP. I never thought of doing that, but I like it.

Either you're trolling or dangerously naive.

Do you realize that even if the interviewer started jumping up and down, screaming "you're the best interviewee in the history of the Universe!!!", it still only counts as one vote on the Adcom.

So chill.

Last edited:
A bow and a hand kiss may be trouble.
Especially if one knows too much about the added disease-transmission potential of adding saliva into the greeting.

OTOH, a bow by itself, if it became standard practice ala Japan, would be perfect. No need for either party to reach for hand sanitizer.

But then we'd have premeds analyzing the depth of each bow:
"What does it mean that the adcomm just slightly inclined his head?"
"I had whiplash neck pain from an injury and couldn't bow; does that mean I'm screwed?"
"The adcomm bowed to a 40 degree angle, so does that mean I'm in? Or was she checking out my scruffed shoes?"

Reactions: 6 users
Not really relevant but my favorite pre-med moment I've ever seen will be catching my 24 year old friend in the library with an SAT book with his explanation being
"I'm taking the SAT in 2 weeks. Just coming up with a study plan for it for the next 2 weeks. Jefferson asks for your SAT score in an optional section of their secondary so I don't want to lose any points for my 2130 I got in high school". This whole thread might be the closest I've seen since then to that kind of pre-med neuroticism.

Reactions: 3 users
Not really relevant but my favorite pre-med moment I've ever seen will be catching my 24 year old friend in the library with an SAT book with his explanation being
"I'm taking the SAT in 2 weeks. Just coming up with a study plan for it for the next 2 weeks. Jefferson asks for your SAT score in an optional section of their secondary so I don't want to lose any points for my 2130 I got in high school". This whole thread might be the closest I've seen since then to that kind of pre-med neuroticism.

Wow. I thought this thread topic took the cake, but... wow.

:eek:...

:smack:

llolol wtf
Didn't know you were a medical student now. Still remember the legendary troll that was @venom5. Congratulations

We're all gonna make it brah

Either you're trolling or dangerously naive.

Do you realize that even if the interviewer started jumping up and down, screaming "you're the best interviewee in the history of the Universe!!!", it still only counts as one vote on the Adcom.

So chill.

That more than answers my question about that particular interviewer's body language, thank you sir!

But then would I be rude if I continued with the one handed shake?

I'm picturing a neurotic premed whose spent weeks reading interviewing tips about mirroring the other person's behavior just flipping out and aggressively adding a second hand to the shake right as the interviewer was preparing to end the hand shake and just being like ... SHAKE ALL THE HANDS

He/she did say they were an immigrant. Different cultures do things differently, they may not know if that's some sort of taboo here. You guys are a tad insensitive.

Wow. I'm speechless.

:rofl:

But then would I be rude if I continued with the one handed shake?

I'm picturing a neurotic premed whose spent weeks reading interviewing tips about mirroring the other person's behavior just flipping out and aggressively adding a second hand to the shake right as the interviewer was preparing to end the hand shake and just being like ... SHAKE ALL THE HANDS

Kissing someone hand during this type of interview.....Omg...you might as well try to fit their fist in your mouth for extra points in the talent portion of what you thought was a beauty pageant.

Kissing someone hand during this type of interview.....Omg...you might as well try to fit their fist in your mouth for extra points in the talent portion of what you thought was a beauty pageant.
Just try kissing the ADCOM members on the mouth next time. Worst case scenario? Rejected. Best care scenario? The most solid recommendation anyone has ever gotten.