Two recs from research bad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Does it look bad to submit two reference letters from two different research PI's? One of my PI's is a physician, while another is a Ph.D. Both are different research projects but related by the same topic (Neuroscience). I think I could potentially develop great connections with both of them and I think the letters could be strong. (I have about a year of UG left)
Why would it look bad?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Probably because it wouldn't show diversity in my letters of rec? Wouldn't it only show my focus in one area and seem like I was trying to hide something? I mean it is easier to get to know your research PI rather than your lecture professor…med schools might assume I didn't try hard enough in my classes.
Oh, you mean sending those two instead of getting lecture professors to write them? I don't know that it would look bad necessarily, but I recall applying to at least one school where they specifically indicated that a PI doesn't fulfill the "science" letter requirement. But I doubt it would look bad IF you can verify that it would be accepted in place of a science lecturer professor's letter. You might have to contact individual schools if you are not planning on getting science lecturer letters (or enough of them).

Last edited:
No I was going to get science lecture professor letters too, but maybe just one or two because I didn't really get to know my science professors as well =/
How many letters of rec are usually accepted or considered good enough?
Definitely depends on the school. Some only require two or so; some require more. I personally had 1 PI, 2 science lecturer, 2 non-science lecturer, and 1 personal (employer) letters. This was enough to satisfy the requirements at all 25 schools I applied to.

I think it's probably a plus, if anything. Succeeding in research and forging strong relationships with mentors has got to be a plus.

Just FYI, I got five letters: one from a developmental bio prof, one from my research mentor, one from my volunteering coordinator, and two from two English professors. I'm applying this cycle, and it's going really well. Considering I got two English profs, I'm 100% sure two research profs would be great too.

No I was going to get science lecture professor letters too, but maybe just one or two because I didn't really get to know my science professors as well =/
How many letters of rec are usually accepted or considered good enough?
I agree with Aspiring ERMD. I would contact the school and ask, especially the ones you are especially interested in attending. When in doubt, go with the writer who knows you the best.