Two weddings the weekend before USMLE..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sivman17

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My last school exam is on May 24 and I am scheduled to take USMLE Step 1 on June 30, which is the last day I can take it for my school. I'm obviously going to devote all that time to board studying. Well, my question is, how much do you really study in the last week leading up to the exam?

My friend is getting married on Sat, June 25 (and I am the best man), and another friend is getting married on Sun, June 26. Me being the anal studier, I'm already fretting about my weekend prior to my exam being completely taken up by weddings and rehearsals and such. Do you really think it's that big of a deal? Should I move my exam up to June 23 or 24 just so I am not worrying so much about it? If I did that, I'd be losing a few days of studying.

I know it's so far in advance but I like to plan things ahead and I hate to think that I won't be able to enjoy myself at two of my best friends' weddings simply because of the weekend they chose. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

I would say move up the exam to before the weddings. Those extra days are going to do nothing for you since you're not going to be studying anyway, and it's likely you'll be forgetting some of the little minutiae in the days that you are doing the weddings. Plus, you will have absolutely nothing on your mind, and can focus on being the best best man you can be. Weddings are stressful enough, don't add your step 1 panic to it.

My last school exam is on May 24 and I am scheduled to take USMLE Step 1 on June 30, which is the last day I can take it for my school. I'm obviously going to devote all that time to board studying. Well, my question is, how much do you really study in the last week leading up to the exam?

My friend is getting married on Sat, June 25 (and I am the best man), and another friend is getting married on Sun, June 26. Me being the anal studier, I'm already fretting about my weekend prior to my exam being completely taken up by weddings and rehearsals and such. Do you really think it's that big of a deal? Should I move my exam up to June 23 or 24 just so I am not worrying so much about it? If I did that, I'd be losing a few days of studying.

I know it's so far in advance but I like to plan things ahead and I hate to think that I won't be able to enjoy myself at two of my best friends' weddings simply because of the weekend they chose. What do you guys think?

I would move it up especially since you are heavily involved in one of the weddings. My last school exam was May 14th (took the weekend off and started May 17th) and I took Step 1 June 18th. I did not feel rushed and only did some light studying the last few days.

Take it the 23rd and you will be fine

Members don't see this ad :)
Move it up! Whats the point of waiting since you won't be studying those days anyway? Or at least not significantly.

Move it to before the weddings and enjoy being done.

You could just politely decline the invitation - people understand that medical school is hard as [insert expletive]. If you've already decided 100% that you have to attend then move it up, but I myself would prefer just to study.

Definitely don't just keep the date the way it is :p

Edit: Just read that you're the best man - move your exams up in this case :D

Yeah, I hate to say it, but if I were you I might try to get out of these weddings, or at least the obigation as best man. This test sorta kinda determines the course of the rest of your career, I feel like losing a week of study time by pushing the date back for the weddings, plus a few days before hand for best man related responsibilities (bachelor party, rehersal dinner) might leave you feeling like 'what if?' if you get a 190. I would drop down from best man to guest at the one wedding, maybe skip the other wedding all together, and view the wedding(s?) as a chance to decompress for one day before starting your final week long rapid review before your test.

Yeah, I hate to say it, but if I were you I might try to get out of these weddings, or at least the obigation as best man. This test sorta kinda determines the course of the rest of your career, I feel like losing a week of study time by pushing the date back for the weddings, plus a few days before hand for best man related responsibilities (bachelor party, rehersal dinner) might leave you feeling like 'what if?' if you get a 190. I would drop down from best man to guest at the one wedding, maybe skip the other wedding all together, and view the wedding(s?) as a chance to decompress for one day before starting your final week long rapid review before your test.
I gotta disagree.

This is your life, you have to start living it now and finding balance.

Push through with a definitive deadline of taking the exam before the weddings and don't let yourself procrastinate and you will be fine.

Its true you may wonder "what if..." but the reality is 3-5 days isn't going to make or break your studying and you are just as likely (if not more so) to regret not attending a good friends weddings in the future.

Make a schedule and stick to it with the knowledge that you have a firm deadline of June 24th. Thats still a FULL MONTH of studying including the review you will do for your med school exams (if they're shelves its hugely helpful).

I gotta disagree.

Push through with a definitive deadline of taking the exam before the weddings and don't let yourself procrastinate and you will be fine.

Its true you may wonder "what if..." but the reality is 3-5 days isn't going to make or break your studying and you are just as likely (if not more so) to regret not attending a good friends weddings in the future.

Make a schedule and stick to it with the knowledge that you have a firm deadline of June 24th. Thats still a FULL MONTH of studying including the review you will do for your med school exams (if they're shelves its hugely helpful).

It depends on your study style, goals, and what score you started out with. I took 8 weeks to study, felt like I needed every bit of it, and (according to NBME practice tests) my score went up steadily through the entire period of time. According to those tests the time between weeks 4 and 6 were actually the two highest yield for me. I didn't end up with a spectacular score but it was good enough not to close too many doors and it was signicantly higher than where I was at 4 weeks in.

I realize that there are going to be a lot of high stress periods in a medical career before you're an attending, and that you need to learn to set boundaries, but in terms of yield you do need to admit that no period of time is ever quite as important as Step One. Maybe the rotation for the career you're applying to, but even then if you screw up you can make it up with a good SubI. There's no real way to make it up if you bomb step 1.

Of course, if OP gets a 265 on his first practice test this is all moot, but that's too late to make a decision.

Last edited:
I gotta disagree.

I highly disagree with you. At least the part where "it's your life, find balance". There is no doubt that the USMLE Step 1 in a large part defines a medical students future career as already stated above. You simply can't find a balance with two weddings and the biggest exam of your life coming up. We all knew we'd have to make sacrifices, maybe not all the time, and yes sometimes there can be a balance - but this is a situation where a sacrifice would have to be made in the form of putting an important exam ahead of life. It's plainly the responsible thing to do.

3-5 days also could make a huge difference. Every point counts and every minute is that much more information. If he learns just one thing during those 3-5 days it could matter even if he's border line on let's say a top percentile or passing or w/e.

I highly disagree with you. At least the part where "it's your life, find balance". There is no doubt that the USMLE Step 1 in a large part defines a medical students future career as already stated above. You simply can't find a balance with two weddings and the biggest exam of your life coming up. We all knew we'd have to make sacrifices, maybe not all the time, and yes sometimes there can be a balance - but this is a situation where a sacrifice would have to be made in the form of putting an important exam ahead of life. It's plainly the responsible thing to do.

3-5 days also could make a huge difference. Every point counts and every minute is that much more information. If he learns just one thing during those 3-5 days it could matter even if he's border line on let's say a top percentile or passing or w/e.

And everyone is going to have a different opinion.

For me, the ability to push my test back and take it later just let to more procrastination - not more study time. I did much better when I studied for Step 2 and had a firm deadline set.

In his original post the OP didn't suggest not attending, he was asking whether he should study through the weddings or not - which is definitely a bad idea. He should take the exam early or not attend the weddings.

And as far as balance, I disagree that Step 1 is someone how "special" and balance goes by the wayside. There is always going to be something that seems really important in life and you can't drop your relationships, health, etc for them. Theres Step 1, then Step 2, then SubI's, away rotations, interviews, in-service exams, Step 3, licensing exams, oral boards, fellowship interviews, job interviews....it goes on and on and on. There is always going to be something that seems like the most important thing in the world, but it never is.

The further you get the more you realize there is never going to be a good time. Its really important to start sorting out your priorities now and find balance now, despite whats going on in med school - because it 10 years no one will give a crap what your step 1 score was. And if your priorities are career comes absolutely first - then good for you. Not everyone is like that. My career will never come before family and I decided that long ago.

If the OP based on his study style and personality feels that those extra 3-5 days would truly be productive and beneficial to his score then he may want to consider not attending the weddings. But that is NOT going to be true for everyone. There is a law of diminishing returns at some point for most people. And even if he thinks it would help: if his best friend is getting married and he'll forever regret not attending the wedding then he really needs to decide if a 230 instead of 225 is really worth it. Because those 5 points really aren't going to be the be-all-end-all of getting interviews or not and matching or not. There are plenty of other factors and he can always rock Step 2.

move it up! Jmo; I think you will do better on the exam if you take it before the weddings, and you'll be able to enjoy your friends ceremonies. There was no way I could focus for more than a week after finals; I took step 1 about 10 days after our last exam and was very happy with the results.

It all depends on you of course.. but I definitely recommend preparing for boards *before* your MS2 finals, then spending a week after finals honing in on the high-yield stuff, then take Step 1 soon afterwards. If you take some practice tests around finals and are scoring 240-250s, don't wait; take the stupid test and be done with it forever.

I guess I should clarify that there is no way I am bowing out of the wedding on the 25th where I'm the best man. As far as the wedding on Sunday the 26th, it is a very good friend of mine and I don't want to miss that wedding either. My girlfriend suggested that we skip the ceremony and just go to the reception for a couple hours. I know it's a little shady, but I thought about just going to the ceremony and not the reception but then he would never see me, never know I was even there. That way, I'm still getting a lot of study time in on Sunday, plus the next three days before the Thursday exam.

I know a lot of people are suggesting moving it up before the weddings, but I really feel like I could benefit in those extra 4-5 days I would get by keeping it where it is. Although the weddings would be much more enjoyable if I had already taken the exam, I could be very regretful later if I didn't do all that great and wished I had studied an extra 4-5 days. To me, that's a lot of extra time to study.

I'm still contemplating what I'm going to do. I appreciate everyone's input.

I guess I should clarify that there is no way I am bowing out of the wedding on the 25th where I'm the best man. As far as the wedding on Sunday the 26th, it is a very good friend of mine and I don't want to miss that wedding either. My girlfriend suggested that we skip the ceremony and just go to the reception for a couple hours. I know it's a little shady, but I thought about just going to the ceremony and not the reception but then he would never see me, never know I was even there. That way, I'm still getting a lot of study time in on Sunday, plus the next three days before the Thursday exam.

I know a lot of people are suggesting moving it up before the weddings, but I really feel like I could benefit in those extra 4-5 days I would get by keeping it where it is. Although the weddings would be much more enjoyable if I had already taken the exam, I could be very regretful later if I didn't do all that great and wished I had studied an extra 4-5 days. To me, that's a lot of extra time to study.

It's really hard to say because it depends on where you will be when you start your dedicated study period and what goals you were shooting for. I was basically tapped out after a month but I reached my target score on the last practice I took 5 days before the exam.

What I would do is move it up before the weddings. Take a practice test a few days before the date and see where you are at. If you are happy with that score then keep the date, if not push back to as late as possible. You can push it back at any time as well, yea it costs money but money is a small issue in this huge test.

Members don't see this ad :)
And as far as balance, I disagree that Step 1 is someone how "special" and balance goes by the wayside. There is always going to be something that seems really important in life and you can't drop your relationships, health, etc for them. Theres Step 1, then Step 2, then SubI's, away rotations, interviews, in-service exams, Step 3, licensing exams, oral boards, fellowship interviews, job interviews....it goes on and on and on. There is always going to be something that seems like the most important thing in the world, but it never is.

Like you said, everyone has a different opinion, but I really think that nothing in your list is close to as importan as Step 1.

Job interviews aren't in the same ballpark. They aren't the same league. They're not even the same f-ing sport. It's a seller's market once you're an attending. When you're done with training it's finally time for other people to cancel their priorities to accomodate your schedule. If you want you could invite the interviewer to meet you at the wedding and then make him wait in the parking lot until you finish enjoying the reception.

Step 2 CS, in-service Exams, Step 3, licensing exams, and oral boards are all, at least for practical purposes, pass/fail. Unless you're a student that's borderline they're nothing like Step 1 in terms of stress and importance. If you are just on the border of failing all the time... well then you're going to need to miss a lot more weddings.

Clinicals, SubIs, away rotations, and interviews are closer in terms of stress and importance, but they come in plurals. You'll do multiple aways, your SubI can make up for bad clinicals, you can do a second SubI, and you'll do at least half a dozen interviews. If you risk one for something very important to you personally there will still be many more opportunites on the horizon. You only get one shot at Step 1 (hopefullly).

That just leaves Step 2 CK, which is less important because it is, well, less important. It has much less impact on your future career and is therefore safer to ignore. The difference betwee a 210 and a 220 on Step 1 will give you the opportunity to apply to residencis you otherwise couldn't have. The same difference on Step 2 isn't nearly as relevant.

Step 1, and the dedicated study time for it, is the most important thing (relative to the time you invest in it) you're going to do in your entire training process. It's time to focus.

Last edited:

Last edited:
I agree with those saying to push it back. I mean I took six weeks: half-assed my studying for the first two weeks and then was counting the days until my test in the last week. I felt pretty confident and prepared on test day.

I'm also of the "don't wait for some vague career endpoint before you start living life" camp.

I agree with those saying to push it back. I mean I took six weeks: half-assed my studying for the first two weeks and then was counting the days until my test in the last week. I felt pretty confident and prepared on test day.

I'm also of the "don't wait for some vague career endpoint before you start living life" camp.
^^^ Agreed.

I had a conference I wanted to go to last year, all expenses paid to NOLA. Problem was I had exactly 5 weeks to fit in Step 1 after my school exams, and the trip was 2 weeks into it. Do I.. bring my First Aid to NOLA? (So much would have gotten done, right? :rolleyes: ) Go to NOLA, not study, and try to make that up when I get back? Or just take Step 1 before I go and cut out 1-2 weeks of possible study time?

Decided to just take it and get it out of the way so I wouldn't feel guilty during the entire trip. Do not regret my decision at all, and wound up with a score that I'm perfectly content with.

If you're studying all along, slowly and steadily, and doing well in your classes, those extra few days aren't going to be all that beneficial to you. And you'll enjoy the weddings so much more if you're able to relax and spend time with friends and family.

Its the first few days of february man....why don't wait a few months before making a final decision. If after you have taken a few practice tests you are comfortably where you want to be, then push it up to before the weddings. As for the second wedding in which you might not attend, tell that friend now the situation you are dealing with. He will understan if you have to back out in a few months.

If 2-3 months down the road youve taken a few practice tests and been studying your *ss off and you still arent where you want to be, then maybe those extra days will be worth it to have. But chances are if you put in the time now with the intention of taking it BEFORE the wedding, then you will be prepared to take it before the wedding.

move it up or decline the wedding invitations... this is an exam that will partially determine your future and is that a risk worth taking? if you move it up, you can take the exam and enjoy the weddings to the fullest extent possible.

Definitely move the test up. There is no reason to miss the weddings. You have plenty of study time ahead of you, and a few days isn't going to change anything. Make a good study plan and stick to it, and then celebrate at the weddings with nothing to worry about.

looks like you are gonna miss two weddings!

Go to the weddings! 2 days of studying will not make one bit of difference on the USMLE. Start studying 2 days earlier if you're concerned, but weddings would be a great way to de-stress prior to the exam I'd think. Just don't get stuck out of town away from your testing site or show up hungover/not rested!

First Aid says "Recent studies show that a later testing date does not translate into a higher score, so avoid pushing your back your test date."

I think it's early enough that the OP can make a study schedule which will leave him well prepared despite giving up on a week of study time.

Count me in the "take it before the weddings" camp and the "you can't just put life on hold forever" camp.

It's still more than early enough in the game that if he tailors his study schedule NOW, that last week shouldn't matter. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter when you take the exam so long as you go into it knowing your plan and you stick to it, IMO.

If you're being asked to be the best man at a wedding... obviously that's an event you just can't miss.

Late reply here but thanks for everyone's input. I decided to move the exam up before the weddings. I've been putting in the time now, so I will feel plenty prepared by the 23rd.

I'm actually looking forward to the weddings now as they will definitely be a great way to relax and reward myself.

As long as you are sure that you don't need that extra week. You shouldn't get influenced by others. You, best of all, knows if you need that week.

it's the right decision, man. enjoy yourself! you won't regret it.

My entire last week of studying was fairly futile for me (a total of 4 weeks or so). I really don't think you need 5 weeks, so I would just move the date up. You'll have a lot more fun at the weddings too.

Edit - just noticed that's what you did. :thumbup:

I was traveling that last weekend, and stopped at a grad party for an evening. It was nice to de-stress a bit and be a real person for a couple days. Then I went home and pounded practice questions so hard I could make an 80s movie montage about it. I was quite pleased with my score. You'll be fine.