Two Year Doctor of Physical Therapy Program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

an aspiring doctor

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to inquire if there are any two year Doctor of Physical Therapy programs and if there are any that are online?

Members don't see this ad.

University of St Augustine has about 2.5 years DPT program, but it's not online.

Nova Southeastern has a hybrid program. It has online portions but you have to physically go there for 4 days every month. That's probably not feasible unless you live in the area. There's no such thing as a purely online DPT. I think St. Augustine is going to be the shortest program you can find. I think it's closed to 2 and a third years long. Now that all programs are doctorate level I think most programs are closer to 3 years long.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your help. Do you know where I can find programs in the North East region that are part time?

Azusa pacific university in southern california has a 2.5 year program but is very expensive.

if you're already trying to find short cuts to become a pt than you shouldn't go. the course work in a year round program is already intense and requires studying nearly everyday. the majority, if not all, programs require multiple clinicals where you basically work 8-5. In my program we have 1-4 week clinical and 4-8 week clinicals to complete in our third year.

Reactions: 1 user
The program at Arcadia University outside Philadelphia is about 2.5 years.

Drexel University in Philadelphia is also a 2.5 year program.

Last edited:
Do these programs typically cut all the breaks between semesters? Or are the semester loads higher? Just curious.

Drexel University in Virginia is also a 2.5 year program.

Drexel is in Philadelphia I believe, but definitely not Virginia.

The accelerated programs simply cut the breaks between terms. We get seven weeks of vacation here: two weeks after the spring and summer terms and three weeks after the fall term.

Thank you for all of your feedback! Does anyone know of a program outside America where it is easier to obtain a degree? I understand I must come off as a lazy person but I am rather the opposite. I have a family to feed and I want to utilize my time efficiently if it can be done. I know many physical therapists who came from the Philippines. Is there any such program over there. Thank you all!

Thank you for all of your feedback! Does anyone know of a program outside America where it is easier to obtain a degree? I understand I must come off as a lazy person but I am rather the opposite. I have a family to feed and I want to utilize my time efficiently if it can be done. I know many physical therapists who came from the Philippines. Is there any such program over there. Thank you all!
I believe there is a masters (MPT) program in Scotland that is CAPTE accredited. That means you can sit for the American licensure exam more or less (I don't get all of the details). You will have a hard time finding employment with only a masters and no experience as a new grad (everyone else will be more experienced than you having earned DPTs). That means you would have to look for a transitional DPT program when you got back. Also, almost any physical therapy school is going to require most if not all of your time. Some people manage to work maybe 10-15 hrs/week and do fine and others have to dedicate 100% of their efforts to school.

My brother just finished PA school with 5 kids, so graduate school can be done with a large family. He enrolled in the national guard, found subsidized housing, and took out quite a bit of financial aide as well as using things like food stamps. It wasn't easy for him but he made the necessary sacrifices.

Remember this is a clinical degree. That is why there are no online degrees (some may have some online components).

Look into Baylor's program, I think it might be your best bet if you are eligible. http://www.baylor.edu/graduate/pt/index.php?id=27028
I wish I had looked into it.

But like an earlier poster said, any physical therapy program is going to be like a full time job. Heck, in addition to classes (I sit in class 7 or 8 hours some days) most programs have 30-50 weeks of full time internships.

I shadowed PTs from Philippines. All of them (maybe 10) got their Bachelor Degree in PT in Philippines. Their program was a 4-year program.

I believe there is a masters (MPT) program in Scotland that is CAPTE accredited. That means you can sit for the American licensure exam more or less (I don't get all of the details). You will have a hard time finding employment with only a masters and no experience as a new grad (everyone else will be more experienced than you having earned DPTs). That means you would have to look for a transitional DPT program when you got back. Also, almost any physical therapy school is going to require most if not all of your time. Some people manage to work maybe 10-15 hrs/week and do fine and others have to dedicate 100% of their efforts to school.

My brother just finished PA school with 5 kids, so graduate school can be done with a large family. He enrolled in the national guard, found subsidized housing, and took out quite a bit of financial aide as well as using things like food stamps. It wasn't easy for him but he made the necessary sacrifices.

Remember this is a clinical degree. That is why there are no online degrees (some may have some online components).

Look into Baylor's program, I think it might be your best bet if you are eligible. http://www.baylor.edu/graduate/pt/index.php?id=27028
I wish I had looked into it.

But like an earlier poster said, any physical therapy program is going to be like a full time job. Heck, in addition to classes (I sit in class 7 or 8 hours some days) most programs have 30-50 weeks of full time internships.

The Army-Baylor program is great but keep in mind that it will require a move to Texas for school and after that you move based on the needs of the Army for the remainder of your obligation (81 months including school). It also has the potential for deployments to hazardous duty zones. I'm planning on applying to the program, but after more than a decade in the Army which included 3 deployments I'm pretty accustomed to the lifestyle. Moving every few years is tough, especially if you have a family. Often times it feels as though as soon as a place feels like home you are uprooting and starting over. Don't get me wrong it's a fantastic program. It's a top 5-10 program that actually pays you to go to school. The program is held in very high regard and you are often given the chance to attend more schooling (PhD, residency, etc) during your service obligation. As a veteran who wants to work with the military population, especially amputees, it's a no brainer for me.

Reactions: 1 users