Two-year MD program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drbee

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My PI (who is a MD-PhD) told me that there was a Med school in Florida that offered a two-year MD program to students who already receive their PhD (straight from graduate school, not the MD-PHD route). Has anyone heard about this? Does this program still exist? Is there similar program elsewhere that will shorten the length of medical school education? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I SERIOUSLY doubt this. It there is such a school, its probably not an accredited one.....ie, you'll never get a residnecy in the US with a diploma from this school.

This program was in FL but does not exist anymore. According to pre-allo lore, there still exists a magical school that confers an MD in three years for those already holding a PhD. However, you must first slay the fire-breathing dragon.

-X

drbee said:
My PI (who is a MD-PhD) told me that there was a Med school in Florida that offered a two-year MD program to students who already receive their PhD (straight from graduate school, not the MD-PHD route). Has anyone heard about this? Does this program still exist? Is there similar program elsewhere that will shorten the length of medical school education? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
xanthines said:
This program was in FL but does not exist anymore. According to pre-allo lore, there still exists a magical school that confers an MD in three years for those already holding a PhD. However, you must first slay the fire-breathing dragon.

-X

lol, what if I could slay the dragon, but I don't have a PhD? Cause I seriously wouldn't want to go through the effort of obtaining a PhD and finishing 3 years of med school only to die to a f-in dragon.

xanthines said:
However, you must first slay the fire-breathing dragon.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I'll be back Thursday from Guatemala. Fortunately no headaches in the forum yet. Oh, and there's no such US Accredited Medical school that offers two year degrees to prior grad students.

This program used to exist at University of Miami, but unfortunately, no longer does :(
This is what their website says:

The PhD-to-MD Program was a special program started by the University of Miami School of Medicine in 1971. It was an innovative and extremely selective program in which students holding the PhD degree could earn the MD degree in just two years.

The program was discontinued in 1987 at the request of the Liaison Committee for Medical Education. Since this organization accredits all medical schools in the United States and Canada, there are no other programs like the PhD-to-MD Program in North America.

:mad: