General Admissions & OTCAS TWU Denton/Dallas/Houston Mot Applicants Fall 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AliHopeful

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
It is about that time! Who is applying this year?

I'm applying for a second time to TWU. Last year I was waitlisted at the Dallas campus with a last 60 gpa & pre-req of 3.85. I graduated this past May from TWU (Denton).

Some might question why I didn't apply to their Denton program. Well.... I live on the outskirts of Dallas and the commute would have been perfect to Dallas campus, not to mention I thought I was highly competitive. I couldn't apply to both so I took a chance. Obviously, I didn't get off the waitlist.

This time round I am applying to TWU Denton (and yes, all my eggs are in 1 basket bc I just cannot relocate). The Denton campus is only for Denton students. Yes, I wish I had applied there instead. Lawana even questioned why I hadn't. However, it gives me time to work (once I secure a job ) and save up some money.

Anyhoo, I am applying as a TWU graduate under their Assured Admission with last 60 GPA 3.9 and pre-req 3.85.

I wish everyone good luck this year!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I applied to TWU this year for the first time with my first choice being Houston and Dallas as my second choice.

My stats are:
Last 60 GPA : 3.9
Pre Req GPA: 4.0
Observations hours: 100

My fingers are crossed!! I also applied to UTHSCSA. Does anyone happen to know if they also just look at the last 60 hours? My last 60 are significantly better than my 3.5 overall gpa.

Thanks and good luck!

Great stats! I think you will do well. Houston appears to be slightly less competitive than Dallas. Hopefully, others will chime in and give you info on UTHSCSA.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm glad to see this thread start up again for the new application cycle! I'm a second year applicant.

I applied to TWU Dallas & Houston last year with a last 60 GPA of 3.9 and pre-req GPA of 3.75. I was accepted to the Houston campus in late June of this year after being waitlisted. Unfortunately, my heart was set on Dallas and I'd already started plans to take a year off, so I said no. It was bittersweet, but I think it was for the best.

I'm reapplying this year, still hoping to get into Dallas but a little more open to relocate to Houston. My stats this year are:

Last 60 GPA: 3.9
Pre-req GPA (completed): 3.9
Observation hours: More than enough!

I wish y'all the best of luck with applications!

Last edited:
Thanks! I was surprised one wasn't started already. Hopefully, we find out sooner this year since 2nd year without interviews and just bc I want to know now. Lol

Thanks for the feedback guys! Wow in July? That seems so late with the program starting in August. Crazy!

Good luck to you all! You guys have phenomenal stats, so it's just ridiculous you didn't get in the first time around!

-

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback guys! Wow in July? That seems so late with the program starting in August. Crazy!

Oops, typo! I meant June! But I agree, it's kind of ridiculous. If you get waitlisted, you have to be ready to go at any moment.

Hey guys!! This is my second time applying. Houston being my first choice and Dallas being my second.

My Stats are not that great, but I'll hope for the best. :)

Last 60 GPA: 3.56
Pre-req GPA (completed): 3.7
Overall GPA: 3.38

*Fingers Crossed*

Hey guys!! This is my second time applying. Houston being my first choice and Dallas being my second.

My Stats are not that great, but I'll hope for the best. :)

Last 60 GPA: 3.56
Pre-req GPA (completed): 3.7
Overall GPA: 3.38

*Fingers Crossed*
Thank you for joining the conversation. What I've learned is that high GPA's are not a guarantee for acceptance. Wish you the best!

I am a current TWU Denton student in Health Studies and scheduled to graduate in May. I had a 3.7 gpa last year when I applied and did not get accepted for the Early Entry program so this is my second time applying. Attended the Info meeting in Denton today. My last 60 gpa is 3.78 and my pre-reqs gpa is 3.8. (My gpa after May will hopefully be 3.85) HOWEVER I made a C in Neuro lab so that keeps me from applying to Denton at all this year. I am so disappointed because Denton has less competition right now because it's still only for the Denton students. They get approximately 60+ applications for the 30 spots (OTA Bridge students get the other 15 spots). After this year, it's being opened up to everyone. So, I can apply to the Dallas campus this year but the competition is FIERCE. They receive over 400 applications for their 45 spots. I do realize that many of these applicants are applying other places as well and may not ultimately choose Dallas but I don't have the option to move (mortgage/kids/husband's company/elderly mother, etc. Dallas or Denton are my only options and now Denton is out (at least for now). Just these few posts have me a bit intimidated for my chances to get in but I'm hopeful! You just never know!

I am a current TWU Denton student in Health Studies and scheduled to graduate in May. I had a 3.7 gpa last year when I applied and did not get accepted for the Early Entry program so this is my second time applying. Attended the Info meeting in Denton today. My last 60 gpa is 3.78 and my pre-reqs gpa is 3.8. (My gpa after May will hopefully be 3.85) HOWEVER I made a C in Neuro lab so that keeps me from applying to Denton at all this year. I am so disappointed because Denton has less competition right now because it's still only for the Denton students. They get approximately 60+ applications for the 30 spots (OTA Bridge students get the other 15 spots). After this year, it's being opened up to everyone. So, I can apply to the Dallas campus this year but the competition is FIERCE. They receive over 400 applications for their 45 spots. I do realize that many of these applicants are applying other places as well and may not ultimately choose Dallas but I don't have the option to move (mortgage/kids/husband's company/elderly mother, etc. Dallas or Denton are my only options and now Denton is out (at least for now). Just these few posts have me a bit intimidated for my chances to get in but I'm hopeful! You just never know!
Thank you for this great update on the new changes! I'm just curious as to whether they are still continuing the Assured Admission for Denton next year and onward? Was 3.7 your cumulative GPA when you applied for early entry? Seems pretty darn good to not be accepted. I've heard the changes came about bc a lot of students were not qualifying for the early entry program.

I can definitely feel your pain. I'm basically in the same boat as far being limited to TWU Dallas and Denton. It makes for more anxiety since we don't have much to fall back on. I wish you the best of luck! Stay hopeful you never now what happens each application period that might work in ones favor.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anybody get their webadvisor portal yet?

Gosh, I don't remember how long it took to get access. I don't remember taking that long but I am a TWU student so I've had one since xferred for undergrad 2yrs ago.

Anybody know? I was thinking 1 or 2 weeks.

I'm just curious as to whether they are still continuing the Assured Admission for Denton next year and onward?

I went to the Dallas info session today and was told that they would continue the Assured Admission process into the next year and beyond. Lucky TWU grads!

Did anybody get their webadvisor portal yet?

I still have access to my account after applying last year, but it shouldn't be too long till you have access. They should send you a letter after they've processed your application with your TWU student ID, giving you access! Or were you asking for a different reason?

I went to the Dallas info session today and was told that they would continue the Assured Admission process into the next year and beyond. Lucky TWU grads!
Great to hear! Although, I hope I don't have to worry about reapplying again.

Thanks for the update![

I am also applying for a second time this year! I was waitlisted last year for the Dallas campus but then denied admission. Since I last applied I worked 6 months as a pediatric therapy tech before getting married. I am hoping that helps a little bit! (but I know you just never know what kind of applicant pool they will have.)

In addition, my references I hope are a little stronger. My OT reference is an occupational therapist with whom I worked rather than a therapist I only observed like last year. Also, instead of asking a professor, I asked my former foreign language department head from when I taught French.

Anyway, good luck to everyone! This year will be my last year applying if I don't get it- I will probably look into OT Assistant programs.

I am also applying for a second time this year! I was waitlisted last year for the Dallas campus but then denied admission. Since I last applied I worked 6 months as a pediatric therapy tech before getting married. I am hoping that helps a little bit! (but I know you just never know what kind of applicant pool they will have.)

In addition, my references I hope are a little stronger. My OT reference is an occupational therapist with whom I worked rather than a therapist I only observed like last year. Also, instead of asking a professor, I asked my former foreign language department head from when I taught French.

Anyway, good luck to everyone! This year will be my last year applying if I don't get it- I will probably look into OT Assistant programs.

Thanks for your post and update!

It's nice that we have posts from those of us that have had to reapply because sometimes when we get that rejection letter or no acceptance from waitlist we feel like we are the only one amongst all the acceptances. I think it's nice to see both sides of the process when applying to grad school...for some it's smooth sailing, for others it's try try again. But it doesn't mean your not qualified enough.

Wishing good luck to everyone again as deadlines near for various schools!

Last edited:
So, TWU Denton deadline was yesterday. Which means that much closer to finding out our fate. That also means 1 more month for Dallas/Houston deadline!

I wonder how soon we'll know this year. I believe last year, I was notified in December. Playing the waiting game is the hardest.

Yeah for Dallas (and I believe Houston as well) it was around 2nd week of Dec, slightly delayed due to bad weather. And Denton was 2nd week of November.

I'm in the TWU MOT Program and I just need to warn you guys of the craziness ahead. If you have another school that will accept you, I really recommend you choose that program instead.

Here's the issues I have with the TWU MOT program :

It uses the 'flipped classroom' approach, except it's not really using it correctly. Expect to teach yourself from the book (I have about 10-15 Chapters of readings over a weekend, on average. One chapter was 100+ pages. Enjoy learning biomechanics on your own) Do you enjoy lectures? Too bad. Enjoy your book.

I don't feel prepared to be an Occupational Therapist at all. If I had to choose a program, I'd find one that was based on teaching more practical information.

They go over the same topics over and over again in all of your classes. Yes, I know what occupation is, thank you.

They're incredibly disorganized. There's conflicting information all over the place.

Enjoy busy work: essays, group projects, and all kinds of outside class activities. It's like they figured the program was too easy, so they just wanted to make it seem more difficult than it was. Don't get me wrong, I was really excited to be a part of this program, but I feel like I'm paying money to teach myself.

Which TWU MOT program are you from?

All the MOT programs in TWU follow the same flipped classroom/schedule.

Appreciate the insight. However, not all of have a choice to apply elsewhere. On the flip side (no pun intended ;) ) the 2 OT's I shadowed were both TWU OT grads. One over a decade ago and the other a recent grad. Both had some aspects they didn't care for but overall they were happy with program and passed the NBCOT the first time.

Appreciate the insight. However, not all of have a choice to apply elsewhere. On the flip side (no pun intended ;) ) the 2 OT's I shadowed were both TWU OT grads. One over a decade ago and the other a recent grad. Both had some aspects they didn't care for but overall they were happy with program and passed the NBCOT the first time.

Flipped classroom approach is actually pretty new, just a few years old, so chances are the OT's you shadowed had a normal graduate school experience.

Just something to keep in mind. Good luck :)

Don't get me wrong. I wasn't trying to downplay your experience. I think others will benefit from knowing than to be surprised. But I don't think they should view it as necessarily a bad thing. Perhaps, even if it's new in grad school, the concept has been around for years. The Montessori curriculum uses this method. I went to a Montessori school from K-8 and I'm a ripe 35 years old. Lol

Anyone else notice how little discussion there is compared to last year? By this time last year, I remember the boards were full of people talking about their applications, status, hopes, etc... I wonder if all of the boards and stories of rejections/wait listings have scared off some people. Hope not! It is a scary process.

Anyone else notice how little discussion there is compared to last year? By this time last year, I remember the boards were full of people talking about their applications, status, hopes, etc... I wonder if all of the boards and stories of rejections/wait listings have scared off some people. Hope not! It is a scary process.

I know!! I wondered if people gave up trying to get in an OT program, or maybe they are keeping quiet this year. lol. Well, less people = better chance for us to get in!! I know I'm never giving up trying to be an OT!! :)

I know!! I wondered if people gave up trying to get in an OT program, or maybe they are keeping quiet this year. lol. Well, less people = better chance for us to get in!! I know I'm never giving up trying to be an OT!! :)

Yeah, I was wondering if OT school would end up with the same situation a lot of nursing schools had a few years back, where people became discouraged by the low acceptance rate and crazy high GPA requirements.

I guess people are probably just being a little more quiet. Sometimes it's better not to be as invested in the process in case it doesn't work out- I just can't help wanting to talk about it. Helps me to deal with the anxiety of wanting to get in

Yes, it's so quiet!
I know! I didn't apply last year, but I would occasionally check the forum for advice and I realize how quiet it is this year!! I wish we had more discussions this year too so that we can all get an idea of which schools have sent out interviews and get more updates about the whole process. Well we should behearing from UTMB in a couple of weeks. If not then towards the end of October for sure because I saw that people got interview invites around October 29 of last year! Good luck everyone!

post stats and interview invites etc. to the pinned thread titled "GPA's, GRE's, XTRA's.."!

Perhaps, since I only posted about TWU here although any school is welcome because insure many have applied to more than one school. It just I some of the few who couldn't. So please join in regardless!

Hello everyone,

My wife just submitted her application to TWU. Does anyone know when TWU notifies potential students? I guess they don't interview anymore. Thank you.

Reactions: 1 user
Last year for Denton it was around second week of Nov and Dallas/Houston around mid-late Dec.

Good luck to your wife!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey ya'll!
Just checking in with everyone. I've applied to both TWU & UTMB-this is my first go-around...and hoping the last time. It's nice to hear from all of you guys as this is such a stressful process! I've applied to only these two programs so hopefully we can all stay in the loop regarding interview invites (for UTMB, from my understanding TWU doesn't do this anymore) etc. I'm a non-traditional applicant but hoping my volunteering experiences, statement, and A- GPA can score me an interview!

Best of luck to everyone! Hopefully this will work out :banana:

Hi everyone,

I also applied to TWU (Dallas/Houston), UTMB, and Texas Tech..

Stats: ~3.7 gpa last 60 credits (still have one quarter left)…. depending on the program overall pre-req gpa: ~3.5 to ~3.8….I still have to take the Neuro pre-req for UTMB..also I'm not sure if they will count my Kinesiology grade in certain course slots or the general course for instance I took Kin 312 (Functional Anatomy) but I've also taken A&P I and II; Kin 413 Exercise Physiology vs a course like A&P I/II…definitely never got a definitive on those types of questions thats why my range is so broad!

Good luck everyone

Yes! I've been reading these forums for about a year now. I'm sure things will ramp up! Maybe others are just waiting...and we are the personality types that want to share, worry & rejoice in each other's success or support one another in a failure!

Good luck everyone!

It's my first go around I'm really hoping to get into a program! I just have so many OT bucketlist goals!

Hi all!
Good luck to everyone applying for next fall!

I have also applied into TWU's OT program, Dallas being my first choice and Houston being my second! I'm so nervous and anxious waiting for a reply back from the school! I am especially more nervous because I am an out of state resident. Does anyone know if the university takes well to outsiders applying?

Oh and can anyone clarify whether TWU still conducts interviews? I have been reading conflicting information! Thanks!!

And again, good luck to everyone! :happy:

Thanks for everyone joining in and breaking the silence! Lol It's getting a little nerve wrecking as deadlines are closing and we get just a little bit closer to finding out whether or not we have been chosen.

Hi all!
Good luck to everyone applying for next fall!

I have also applied into TWU's OT program, Dallas being my first choice and Houston being my second! I'm so nervous and anxious waiting for a reply back from the school! I am especially more nervous because I am an out of state resident. Does anyone know if the university takes well to outsiders applying?

Oh and can anyone clarify whether TWU still conducts interviews? I have been reading conflicting information! Thanks!!

And again, good luck to everyone! :happy:
Hi! Your state residency doesn't matter. There is no bump for TX residents or any negative impact for not being one. And as for interviews-they stopped them last year.

Hope that helps!

Hi! Your state residency doesn't matter. There is no bump for TX residents or any negative impact for not being one. And as for interviews-they stopped them last year.

Hope that helps!

Thank you so much for the clarification! I am so anxious waiting for a reply back from TWU!

If anything your residency would be a perk to the program. Since you'd be paying out of state tuition. However I'm sure that isn't an evaluated part of our packets.

If anything your residency would be a perk to the program. Since you'd be paying out of state tuition. However I'm sure that isn't an evaluated part of our packets.
True! Lol yeah, usually they would indicate if there is a bump for something.

Well, today was the deadline for the Dallas/Houston campuses! Good luck everyone! Hopefully only 2 more months of anxiety. 1 more month for us Denton applicants.

Btw. If you haven't already, please post your stats, whether or not 1st time applicant or not and eventually your applicant status as that is the information every hopeful applicant is wondering! Lol

Thanks!

Whoohoo! Good luck everyone! I only applied to TWU this year, Houston 1st choice, because unfortunately UTHSCSA changed their pre-requisites and now I have to take another course next year to be considered (The upper level writing I took specifically for their program is no longer needed. Whoops.)

Overall GPA: 3.74
Pre-Req GPA: 4.0
Last 60: 3.57 (lower because that was, ahem, 13 years ago when I was but a wee lass and obviously not thinking ahead to one day when I might need better scores).
First time Applicant.

Not having an interview makes me nervous, so maybe these numbers can pull out.

Thanks for joining! You never know. Your pre-req will definitely make you more competitive than you think. But who am I. Lol