General Admissions & OTCAS TWU Denton/Dallas/Houston Mot Applicants Fall 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I received a email denying my acceptance to the Houston program on January 21st and then got an email of acceptance on January 3rd. I'm super confused because I just got a letter of denial dated January 2nd.

My question is, when I log into my pioneer portal, I cannot find any definite 'acceptance' or ' denial' it just shows my user name and student id and email and whatnot. Where are you guys seeing a acceptance??

Its on the pioneer portal site on the right side where is lists important links. One will say 'WebAdvisor'. You log into that under the same information and click on admission status to view the acceptance decision.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone! Just an update - I called yesterday regarding the email that says we will receive an official acceptance or denial because I was worried about dropping other prereqs with any lingering uncertainty. Tomeka Nolen said I wasn't the first to call, and she is suggesting they change the wording since it causes so much apprehension for us applicants. She told me that receiving the acceptance email was cause for celebration, I could with 100% confidence drop my prereqs, as they have never offered a spot and later revoked it. Also, official letters should go out by Feb 1 from the graduate school.

Hope this helps anyone else who was worried! Congrats to those accepted and good luck to those still waiting to hear news!
I hope this is true!!! I recieved a acceptance by email February 3rd and just got today in the mail a denial from the graduate school dated February 2nd. Really hoping that the acceptance official letter from the graduate school is still on its way!! I will call tomorrow to confirm :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I received a email denying my acceptance to the Houston program on January 21st and then got an email of acceptance on January 3rd. I'm super confused because I just got a letter of denial dated January 2nd.

My question is, when I log into my pioneer portal, I cannot find any definite 'acceptance' or ' denial' it just shows my user name and student id and email and whatnot. Where are you guys seeing a acceptance??
It's in the twu WebAdvisor, log in and click on applicants, then under the subtitle "admission information" there is a link that says "admission status" and there is where it says accepted or denied, I'd call just to make sure.

It's in the twu WebAdvisor, log in and click on applicants, then under the subtitle "admission information" there is a link that says "admission status" and there is where it says accepted or denied, I'd call just to make sure.
Woops I guess I was late on the reply lol

Within pioneer portal there's access to Webadvisor, which I believe uses the same username and passcode as Pioneer Portal. Within webadvisor, go to 'Applicants' then click on 'application status' and it should show your status.

Also in 'my documents' it should show the acceptance by the graduate school.

I hope all is well and that you're accepted and that there was just some miscommunication

Thank you for your help guys! I will call today :)

Did anyone receive acceptance to UTHSCSA over the weekend? Wondering if any that were accepted into TWU-Dallas or TWU-Houston will change course and go to UTHSCSA. I'm debating on what direction to goo_O
Did you get an acceptance letter to UTHSCSA?

I got accepted into UTHSCSA today! I will most likely be going there so that will open up my spot at TWU Houston .

Reactions: 1 users
Hello everyone!

I am a current TWU MOT student at the Houston campus. I am in my second semester. I am willing to try to answer any questions you may have about the program area/etc. Everything was completely new to me when I moved here, so I hope that I can help someone else.

I will also be looking for a roomate for the upcoming year starting in June :) if anyone is interested.

Either way, good luck with everything!

Hello everyone!

I am a current TWU MOT student at the Houston campus. I am in my second semester. I am willing to try to answer any questions you may have about the program area/etc. Everything was completely new to me when I moved here, so I hope that I can help someone else.

I will also be looking for a roomate for the upcoming year starting in June :) if anyone is interested.

Hi!! I wanted to know what the method of teaching is in the program (ex. PowerPoints, reading on our own, etc.) and how approachable the faculty are. Also, how often do you have classes? Is it mornings or evenings? Thanks!!

Hello everyone!

HOWDY! I'm also looking for a roommate and I have a TON of questions! Could you email me? [email protected]

Members don't see this ad :)
I got accepted into UTHSCSA today! I will most likely be going there so that will open up my spot at TWU Houston .
I also got accepted into UTHSCSA, but I'm leaning heavily towards twu Houston since I'm a local there. Which would free up my uthscsa spot :)

Reactions: 1 users
I hope I'll be seeing some of you TWU Dallas people on Feb 28! I believe both us Grad II's and Grad V's (maybe) will be there to answer questions, so come with lots!

I hope I'll be seeing some of you TWU Dallas people on Feb 28! I believe both us Grad II's and Grad V's (maybe) will be there to answer questions, so come with lots!

Awesome! Your answers here have already helped so much. See you there!

Did anyone receive acceptance to UTHSCSA over the weekend? Wondering if any that were accepted into TWU-Dallas or TWU-Houston will change course and go to UTHSCSA. I'm debating on what direction to goo_O

I just received my acceptance letter to UTHSC, but I think I am still leaning toward TWU-Dallas. I was born and raised in San Antonio so a change of location might be nice. I also did some research and found a couple of websites that had ranked the Texas OT programs, and every where I looked TWU was ranked higher than UTHSC. I also know that UTHSC is a longer program so it might cost more. As of right now those are the reasons why I'm choosing TWU over UTHSC.

They are both really good schools so whatever decision you make, I'm sure it will be a good one. :)

Reactions: 2 users
I was accepted to both TWU Houston and UTHSCSA and I signed my letter of intent to UTSA, so that will open up a slot for some one at TWU. I prefer the program at UTHSCSA, they are more hands on and integrate fieldwork while learning the material. Good Luck to those waiting to hear!

While they're both good schools. I will be choosing twu Houston over uthscsa because I'm local to Houston so financially it would be better for me. But also the ranking of twu vs. Uthscsa... Twu is ranked higher on all the sites that I've looked at. Also their program has been around for much longer than uthscsa. They're both the same amount of time... 2.5 years, and tuition is roughly the same. I also like that twus semester starts in August vs may for uthscsa... This allows me to take some vacation before starting Haha. I hope to get an official letter soon!!!

Does anyone know the format of the TWU-Houston program? I don't know anyone who has attended so I am curious. I think I have read they use the reverse classroom model -- lots of reading/learning on your own, but I would love if anyone could share more info! I think we only have classes M-Th (not sure how much time in class), but I would appreciate any additional insight!

Attention Houston applicants!! I received the official letter from the graduate school today :soexcited: it pretty much says to read the Graduate Catalog and contact our advisor Dr. Catherine Candler regarding the requirements of the program of study. I'm not sure what that means lol but I will email her tomorrow to see when we have to register for classes and when orientation will take place. Hope everyone receives it soon! :hardy:

Hi!! I wanted to know what the method of teaching is in the program (ex. PowerPoints, reading on our own, etc.) and how approachable the faculty are. Also, how often do you have classes? Is it mornings or evenings? Thanks!!

Hi, it is mostly based on a "flipped-classroom" method. There will be alot of reading, exams (sometimes in class/sometimes in a computer lap depending on the teacher), quizzes, and projects. There are powerpoints but not always. You really have to be accountable for your own learning, and yes that sounds tough but will make you a stronger student. As for the faculty, there are so many different personalities, it is hard to generalize. I feel like I can't answer the question, because it really just depends on YOUR personality as well. There are some teachers some viewed as nice, while others saw them as strict. I know normally having approachable/nice professors is sooo important, but the learning is so independent and you invest so much into it that the teacher's personalities (approachable or not) is something that automatically gets put on the back burner. Don't worry though, sounds scary but its not bad! We have class monday-thurs and plan to be there 8ish-4ish. There will also be " open lab" on some Fridays. There are gaps in the schedule though.

Hi, it is mostly based on a "flipped-classroom" method. There will be alot of reading, exams (sometimes in class/sometimes in a computer lap depending on the teacher), quizzes, and projects. There are powerpoints but not always. You really have to be accountable for your own learning, and yes that sounds tough but will make you a stronger student. As for the faculty, there are so many different personalities, it is hard to generalize. I feel like I can't answer the question, because it really just depends on YOUR personality as well. There are some teachers some viewed as nice, while others saw them as strict. I know normally having approachable/nice professors is sooo important, but the learning is so independent and you invest so much into it that the teacher's personalities (approachable or not) is something that automatically gets put on the back burner. Don't worry though, sounds scary but its not bad! We have class monday-thurs and plan to be there 8ish-4ish. There will also be " open lab" on some Fridays. There are gaps in the schedule though.
Thank you so much for your help! Yes it does sound scary lol but it's worth it in the end!

Houston applicants!! I received a response from the advisor and she said we won't register for classes until we receive the registration information by email in July, and orientation will be held in August. We're gonna receive a letter by email with the exact date of Orientation next month. So hang on tight everyone!! Time will fly by :rofl:

Last edited:
Same exact thing has happened to me. I've sent some emails and couldn't get anywhere, so I thought I'd give them a call tomorrow to see if they could set me up. Let me know if you figure anything out!

So sorry just reading this now. I did call them as well a few days after I posted that. They didn't do a thing about it but told me I was rejected. Fine and dandy simply because they told me that they had over 700 applicants. If I had known that earlier I would have never applied there. They were also a little rude to me on the phone and completely belittled my GPA and discredited all other credit hours plus another degree that I had completed. So WARNING to anyone who goes above and beyond just one undergraduate degree…. they will only take the last 60 hours of your first degree. Doesn't matter about your total GPA or last 60 credit hours of the true last credit hours that you have taken. Totally lost respect for TWU school. I have been accepted else where and couldn't be happier.

Hi everyone! Congratulations to everyone who has been accepted!
I will be applying to the TWU OT program in the fall (extremely nervous). I am curious to know where other students got their undergrad. Anyone from UT Austin? I am at UT now and do not know anyone else from here applying to the program. Although I'm sure there are plenty.

Hi everyone! Congratulations to everyone who has been accepted!
I will be applying to the TWU OT program in the fall (extremely nervous). I am curious to know where other students got their undergrad. Anyone from UT Austin? I am at UT now and do not know anyone else from here applying to the program. Although I'm sure there are plenty.

Hi! I attended Tech and got my undergrad degree in Human Development and Family Studies. Yeah I'm pretty sure there will be plenty of UT applicants, hopefully others continue to check this site and reply with their backgrounds! The process is a little nerve-racking, but you can do it! Good luck! :)

Hopefully this isn't too late, but….
Is anyone still looking for a roommate for the fall in Houston?? I'm from Austin, very friendly, love to play and watch sports (espec. vball), and I am very responsible. No pets, but I do love animals.

Also, if any current students have any advice as to which apartments they recommend please feel free to share! I went to an open house and they gave us a list of housing options nearby so I tried to narrow it down as much as possible based on people's reviews online, but any additional help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! :)

So sorry just reading this now. I did call them as well a few days after I posted that. They didn't do a thing about it but told me I was rejected. Fine and dandy simply because they told me that they had over 700 applicants. If I had known that earlier I would have never applied there. They were also a little rude to me on the phone and completely belittled my GPA and discredited all other credit hours plus another degree that I had completed. So WARNING to anyone who goes above and beyond just one undergraduate degree…. they will only take the last 60 hours of your first degree. Doesn't matter about your total GPA or last 60 credit hours of the true last credit hours that you have taken. Totally lost respect for TWU school. I have been accepted else where and couldn't be happier.
They told me my GPA isn't competitive enough as well...I've worked my butt off...I've only went one semester without being on the Dean's List, but they seemed to act like no matter what I did it wouldn't be good enough. Did you get that feeling?

Question for those that it is your second time applying. Did you go directly into the next cycle after denial? Or did you wait a complete year and then apply? Any suggestions on how to strengthen your application? I know GPA is a given, but also feel it doesn't say anything about an individual at all. At the end of the semester, my last 60 would be 3.68, but when I called they acted like it wouldn't be enough and suggested I take graduate credits, but I cannot take 12 graduate credits by october...a semester is until December. I am graduating in May with a BS in Health Studies.

Question for those that it is your second time applying. Did you go directly into the next cycle after denial? Or did you wait a complete year and then apply? Any suggestions on how to strengthen your application? I know GPA is a given, but also feel it doesn't say anything about an individual at all. At the end of the semester, my last 60 would be 3.68, but when I called they acted like it wouldn't be enough and suggested I take graduate credits, but I cannot take 12 graduate credits by october...a semester is until December. I am graduating in May with a BS in Health Studies.

I went straight into the next application cycle. The first time around, I kept the possibility in mind that I wouldn't get in. I planned my classes accordingly and retook the pre-reqs I had Bs in. If you're looking to improve your application, there are also graduate programs that begin in the summer! TWU is also requiring the GRE starting next cycle, so a good score could potentially strengthen your application.

Also, TWU is not the only school out there! If I were able to leave the DFW area, I would've applied to and seriously considered the other Texas programs. There are some great programs out there that would allow you to highlight your strengths in other parts of the application.

I'm afraid I didn't either. Which is fine, not everyone can make it into the program... But since I put forth the effort to apply and paid the application fee, I do expect some sort of response! This process has been so aggravating!! As a Missouri gal I knew it was a long shot for me to be accepted into a TX program anyhow, but now I'm just regretting the wasted money and time.
Hi Katie! I am from Missouri as well and applied to TWU. Did you get in? Did you get in anywhere?

I went straight into the next application cycle. The first time around, I kept the possibility in mind that I wouldn't get in. I planned my classes accordingly and retook the pre-reqs I had Bs in. If you're looking to improve your application, there are also graduate programs that begin in the summer! TWU is also requiring the GRE starting next cycle, so a good score could potentially strengthen your application.

Also, TWU is not the only school out there! If I were able to leave the DFW area, I would've applied to and seriously considered the other Texas programs. There are some great programs out there that would allow you to highlight your strengths in other parts of the application.
I'm not orginally from the DFW area. I'm from Missouri and live there now. I have lived in the DFW application ( for five years when I was younger), but I am definitely keeping my options open this next time around. And yes programs start in the summer, but taking 12 hours of grad credit is a little much? I've just heard trying to do 12 as a grad student is a little hard, and I just feel like I don't have any room for error:/ It just makes it hard when TWU doesn't want to know anything about their applicants compared to other programs what want to know about leadership things, research, etc...

@worriedgirl92 I did not get into TWU! I've been accepted to Tennessee State University and University of Tennessee Health Science Center. I am currently on the wait list for Rockhurst University.

I applied right away to the next cycle.

The first go round, I was waitlisted then cut from the waitlist (obviously I was very low on the list). That was devastating of course as I heard some people say how the waitlist was almost a guarantee... But I decided to try again and just change what I could to be more competitive.

My last 60 hrs GPA was 3.7, and my prereqs a 4.0. I think the prereq GPA made up for my comparatively low 60 hr GPA. If you can retake any prereqs, I would recommend that.

Here's what changed between last year and this year:

1. My first year I applied I had only 40 hrs of observation hours and no work experience. My second time, I had over 140 with an OT I worked with as a therapy tech. I only worked as a tech for 6 months but it seems to have done the trick

2. I decided to approach one of my previous supervisors who knew me for years for a reference instead of a college professor who hardly knew me. I don't know why I chose a professor the first go around. Maybe think about a new reference? If you don't have one who you feel will write something super strong, I would try volunteering in the mean time and maybe your supervisor would be a good choice.

3. I completely rewrote my essay. Looking back, my first one focused on kind of generic things I thought they might want to hear from me about how much it's my calling to help people, blah blah... But this last time I tried to focus on my personal journey in specifics, and avoid phrases or concepts they probably see on every essay: " I knew ___ with a disability and now I want to help people. ", "ever since I was ___ age I knew I wanted to be an OT" etc..

I personally think this might have been more of a game changer. Everyone's resumes are so similar, that I think they really look at your essay to get a snapshot of not only your writing ability but your personality and maturity level. I would highly recommend working on this as much as you can. Write multiple drafts. Pick out the topics you feel are strongest, switch them around. Have your friends or family or professors read them and make recommendations. It can't hurt!

I hope some of this helps! If you have any other questions let me know!

What a great forum! Thank you everyone for sharing your experience in this crazy process. I applied for the Dallas program this year and got waitlisted. Therefore, most likely I'll have to re-apply. I have a 4.0 on pre-reqs and a 3.9 on final 60 credits. I have a Master's in Sport Management and I completed 172 hrs of volunteering at different settings. I believed I had great letters of rec... so the only thing I can think of that may have contributed to my application status is my personal statement...

OT WANNABE probably hit the point with my case... I may have been too broad on my letter, so I'm planning on re-writing with more specific statements.

Would anyone who got accepted be willing to read my new letter? If yes, please send me an email: [email protected]. I would greatly appreciate all the help. I live in California, but my husband's family is from Kansas and we are determined to move to Texas to be closer to our family (I ain't moving to Kansas... lol).

Again, thank you everyone for sharing your knowledge and experience. This is such a coexist and intense process... and the waiting... let's not talk about the waiting...

Congrats to everyone who got accepted this year!

Hahaha.... darn autocorrect... I meant to write COMPLEX not COEXIST!!!

I was wondering how long after receiving the email stating that I have been accepted it take for the webadvisor to update to accepted and about how long does it take to receive the official letter in the mail? It's still surreal right now :)

They told me my GPA isn't competitive enough as well...I've worked my butt off...I've only went one semester without being on the Dean's List, but they seemed to act like no matter what I did it wouldn't be good enough. Did you get that feeling?
Yes. Exactly how I felt. I wanted so badly to have called them back nearly a week later and be like: "HAH I was accepted into a competitive school too so I will be an occupational therapist…. so don't even tell me I'm not good enough." :happy:

I was wondering how long after receiving the email stating that I have been accepted it take for the webadvisor to update to accepted and about how long does it take to receive the official letter in the mail? It's still surreal right now :)

You got into the bridge program?! That's so exciting. It took about 10 days after the initial "recommendation" email from Dallas for the acceptance to be reflected on WebAdvisor. And 2.5 weeks for the official letter to come in the mail. But I've found each campus is slightly different, so I wouldn't worry if it takes a little longer for your program in Denton to notify you. Did you email them back with your "Yes!"? They don't process your acceptance until you respond with whether you accept their admission offer.

Congratulations!!

For those who did not "get in" to TWU this cycle, I wanted to add my 2 cents in addition to the great suggestions from @OTWannabe15. GPA is not everything at TWU. They really look at each part of the application, then assign points (the admissions committee does not tell applicants or students how each section is weighted), and add the points together to determine who is qualified according to their specific admission standards.

I have been accepted twice to TWU Dallas MOT - 2009 (accepted from waitlist), and 2015. (For the full story, click on my name and browse my earliest posts).

ESSAY
The essay is so important in standing out and sharing your experience

1. Answer the question prompt!The program director at Dallas said the number 1 problem they see with essays (for which points are taken off or a 0 given) is that applicants write all about themselves and OT, and do not answer the question.
2. Edit, check spelling, capitalization. Take time away, read again. Have others read it.
3. Stay away from cliches, and try to use the question a springboard to talk about your unique motivation or experiences.
4. Have a thesis - don't just list experiences but draw it together with what they have taught you.
5. For those interested, I am happy to make my essay available for you to read as an example, as well as read your essay draft. Just send me a private message through this site.

RESUME/HONORS/AWARDS
On the online graduate application there is a resume section to list work experience. Email an addendum to include all relevant work/intern experience for which there was not space on the online application to include. Also send an email addendum with any other honors or awards you have, so the admissions has the full picture of you as an applicant.

OBSERVATION/RECOMMENDATIONS
For TWU, it is not all about the number of hours when it comes to how they value your observation experience. Definitely go above the minimum required hours, but focus on finding an OT that you can know and develop a relationship with over a long time. Be 100% professional from first contact with the therapist you are observing. Study the specific conditions of the patients you see and tell them what you are reading, and ask them questions. Their glowing recommendation and personal comments will weigh heavily in your favor on your evaluation. So it's important to show them that you are exceptional.

Although I had worked in an OT setting hundreds of hours 10 years ago, for this 2015 application to TWU, I accrued more recent hours in a different setting with the OT I had observed in 2009. Even though we hadn't spoken during the intervening time, she remembered me, and she said my professionalism was what continues to set me apart. She was able to write in the recommendation that she had known me for 6 years, and her scoring and written comments came with a strong confidence because of the longer personal history.

LIFE EXPERIENCE
Use the time you have before you apply to develop as a professional and leader. In between the first and second time I applied, I became certified in an additional therapy-related field working with a wide-range of people with disabilities, and became the program director of therapy-related non-profit, traveled internationally short-term for care trips to high-needs orphans and children with special needs. Your story doesn't have to look like mine, but advance in the field in which you find yourself and take the opportunities in front of you to grow in leadership and be able to demonstrate that.

DIVERSITY
I'm not speaking about racial diversity, but diversity in life stage and experience. If you are 21 or 22 with a nearly perfect GPA and hundreds of hours working as a therapy aide, chances are there are 700 others of you applying. The Dallas MOT director said that they do look to diversify their class in life stage, professional backgrounds etc. There are also many of us who have applied, and reapplied multiple times. This shows the tenacity of those applicants, and what they do to better their applications often makes an impression.

IF YOU'VE BEEN REJECTED...
TWU is highly competitive, so the odds are simply very small that anyone is accepted - about 1 in 100. (I'm assuming that with the additional requirement of GRE scores for Fall 2016 admission, the applicant pool may be smaller this next cycle). For those who receive a rejection from TWU, the program is not saying to you, "you are not good enough" to be an OT or even to be in their program. It simply means the pool of qualified applicants is too large to admit every qualified person to the program. The administrative assistants you speak with when you call to ask how you can better your application will tell every rejected applicant the same thing about getting 12 hours Grad credit to better your GPA on last 60 hours, or retaking prerequisites, getting a better recommendation. This is not specific to you or your application, it's just the information that they have based on their admissions criteria.

Whether you choose to apply/reapply to TWU, or another school, realize that all schools must have criteria which often varies widely from school and school. Not every applicant is a good fit for every program, even though they are a good fit to be an OT. Conversely, not every program is a good fit for every applicant. Find a program that fits your requirements and whose application requirements and process will best reflect your academic record and experiences. Actually, find multiple programs, and apply to several.

In the end, not accepting the first position offered to me in 2009, and waiting 6 years has been the best thing in preparing me to go through the process of OT school as well as work as an Occupational Therapist. I would not have chosen the break, but retrospect is crystal clear. There is no shame in taking time to live life, better yourself and then apply for OT school... or whatever that next step is.

Feel free to send a PM to me with questions or comments. I want everyone with a passion and great skill set for helping others through OT to be able to live that dream!

For those who did not "get in" to TWU this cycle, I wanted to add my 2 cents in addition to the great suggestions from @OTWannabe15. GPA is not everything at TWU. They really look at each part of the application, then assign points (the admissions committee does not tell applicants or students how each section is weighted), and add the points together to determine who is qualified according to their specific admission standards.

I have been accepted twice to TWU Dallas MOT - 2009 (accepted from waitlist), and 2015. (For the full story, click on my name and browse my earliest posts).

ESSAY
The essay is so important in standing out and sharing your experience

1. Answer the question prompt!The program director at Dallas said the number 1 problem they see with essays (for which points are taken off or a 0 given) is that applicants write all about themselves and OT, and do not answer the question.
2. Edit, check spelling, capitalization. Take time away, read again. Have others read it.
3. Stay away from cliches, and try to use the question a springboard to talk about your unique motivation or experiences.
4. Have a thesis - don't just list experiences but draw it together with what they have taught you.
5. For those interested, I am happy to make my essay available for you to read as an example, as well as read your essay draft. Just send me a private message through this site.

RESUME/HONORS/AWARDS
On the online graduate application there is a resume section to list work experience. Email an addendum to include all relevant work/intern experience for which there was not space on the online application to include. Also send an email addendum with any other honors or awards you have, so the admissions has the full picture of you as an applicant.

OBSERVATION/RECOMMENDATIONS
For TWU, it is not all about the number of hours when it comes to how they value your observation experience. Definitely go above the minimum required hours, but focus on finding an OT that you can know and develop a relationship with over a long time. Be 100% professional from first contact with the therapist you are observing. Study the specific conditions of the patients you see and tell them what you are reading, and ask them questions. Their glowing recommendation and personal comments will weigh heavily in your favor on your evaluation. So it's important to show them that you are exceptional.

Although I had worked in an OT setting hundreds of hours 10 years ago, for this 2015 application to TWU, I accrued more recent hours in a different setting with the OT I had observed in 2009. Even though we hadn't spoken during the intervening time, she remembered me, and she said my professionalism was what continues to set me apart. She was able to write in the recommendation that she had known me for 6 years, and her scoring and written comments came with a strong confidence because of the longer personal history.

LIFE EXPERIENCE
Use the time you have before you apply to develop as a professional and leader. In between the first and second time I applied, I became certified in an additional therapy-related field working with a wide-range of people with disabilities, and became the program director of therapy-related non-profit, traveled internationally short-term for care trips to high-needs orphans and children with special needs. Your story doesn't have to look like mine, but advance in the field in which you find yourself and take the opportunities in front of you to grow in leadership and be able to demonstrate that.

DIVERSITY
I'm not speaking about racial diversity, but diversity in life stage and experience. If you are 21 or 22 with a nearly perfect GPA and hundreds of hours working as a therapy aide, chances are there are 700 others of you applying. The Dallas MOT director said that they do look to diversify their class in life stage, professional backgrounds etc. There are also many of us who have applied, and reapplied multiple times. This shows the tenacity of those applicants, and what they do to better their applications often makes an impression.

IF YOU'VE BEEN REJECTED...
TWU is highly competitive, so the odds are simply very small that anyone is accepted - about 1 in 100. (I'm assuming that with the additional requirement of GRE scores for Fall 2016 admission, the applicant pool may be smaller this next cycle). For those who receive a rejection from TWU, the program is not saying to you, "you are not good enough" to be an OT or even to be in their program. It simply means the pool of qualified applicants is too large to admit every qualified person to the program. The administrative assistants you speak with when you call to ask how you can better your application will tell every rejected applicant the same thing about getting 12 hours Grad credit to better your GPA on last 60 hours, or retaking prerequisites, getting a better recommendation. This is not specific to you or your application, it's just the information that they have based on their admissions criteria.

Whether you choose to apply/reapply to TWU, or another school, realize that all schools must have criteria which often varies widely from school and school. Not every applicant is a good fit for every program, even though they are a good fit to be an OT. Conversely, not every program is a good fit for every applicant. Find a program that fits your requirements and whose application requirements and process will best reflect your academic record and experiences. Actually, find multiple programs, and apply to several.

In the end, not accepting the first position offered to me in 2009, and waiting 6 years has been the best thing in preparing me to go through the process of OT school as well as work as an Occupational Therapist. I would not have chosen the break, but retrospect is crystal clear. There is no shame in taking time to live life, better yourself and then apply for OT school... or whatever that next step is.

Feel free to send a PM to me with questions or comments. I want everyone with a passion and great skill set for helping others through OT to be able to live that dream!
Wow! Thank you SO MUCH for taking the time to write this post! The caring OT personality shows ;)

I would love to see your essay and use it as a sample. There is so mucheck to be said in a such little space! ;)

Also... I didn't know they'll be requiring GRE scores! Do you know what is the minimum score they are looking for?

Again, thank you so much for all the info!!!

I didn't know they'll be requiring GRE scores! Do you know what is the minimum score they are looking for?

This was recently posted at http://www.twu.edu/occupational-therapy/
Change in MOT Application Requirements 2015
Applicants for the Master of Occupational Therapy program are now required to submit a GRE score as part of the application process. This requirement is active for students applying now for Fall 2016 entry.
I don't have further details, but you could check the section with info for prospective MOT students, for specific requirements.

Anyone else still on the waitlist for Dallas???

Hey guys! I just wanted to share some of my application experience and GRE tips for anyone who might be reading this and is applying for the next cycle -

I was told by a professor at my university that you should definitely aim for a score above 300 to be competitive for grad school in general, since that is around the average overall. Since TWU's program is pretty competitive, I would think that the average score for their next class would be higher than this. You might be able to look at the average scores of students admitted to programs of similar caliber. If you're going to be taking classes in the Fall, this summer would be the best time to take it. There are some great apps you can download on your phone to help you prepare for the test - I highly recommend the Magoosh vocabulary app. ETS has all of the GRE prompts posted on their website, so you can practice the two different types of writing they are looking for on the test. ETS also has a free program you can download on your computer to simulate 2 actual tests and become familiar with the system. The best part about that is it will give you what your real score would be immediately after you click submit.

There were somewhere around 700-800 applicants for Fall 2015. I'm not sure if that includes all of Denton/Dallas/Houston, but if it does, then that means there are about 7 applicants for every seat. If the 700/800 was just for Dallas, it would be around 17 applicants for every seat. So yes, it is difficult to get in, but don't be discouraged and think it is impossible. What can you do to make your application stand out from the 17 other people competing for your spot? That seemed like a much more manageable question for me to consider when I was applying. (These are not 100% accurate statistics in any way, but I'd say they are close enough to make the point.) If you're on the waitlist, don't give up hope! There are still a few individuals who have "accepted" their offer of admission from TWU but have not yet solidified their decision. My guess is that they would decide within the next few weeks.

Also, I totally agree with EquineTherapy's recommendations, though if I had read that post before applying I would've been completely intimidated. If you're currently a college student applying for the first time next year but don't have tons of observation hours or life experience, get involved in some sort of volunteer work that will show your commitment to serving others, particularly those with special needs. When you write your essay, let those experiences shine through in a way that shows it wasn't something you passively participated in but something you truly care about. The people reading your essay need to know that you'd be a great fit as an OT. But if it's possible, apply to more than 1 school! It's true that TWU is intentional about diversifying the class and simply has way too many outstanding applicants for each spot. Good luck!

I wonder how many people are in the list... are you planning on re-applying? If yes, when? Have you taken the GRE yet?
I am very curious about how many people are on the list too. I wonder if anyone has gotten off of it. Though I am really hoping to get in this year, I am already anticipating on reapplying next year and prepping for it. I have not taken the GRE yet, as TWU didn't require it, but obviously I will have to this summer. Since I am forced to take it now I will also apply to more schools this time around, though TWU will still remain my top choice!