TX and CA Psychiatry residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rubisco88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm probably bottom half of my class at a TX MD school in terms of pre-clinical grades after first year. I've gotten straight B's basically. If that trend continues what programs am out of the running for and will I even have a shot at a mid tier psychiatry program. Would I have any chance at any of the programs in California (my family and fiancé's family are here)?

It would be great if anyone whose familiar with TX and CA psych residency could give me a run down of the big programs and the competitiveness.

In California, I'm particularly interested in southern california. How competitive is UCI, loma linda, and some of the other southern california peds programs. Are there a lot options around the LA area for moderate/low competitive programs. How's UC Davis?

Would I be competitive for any decent programs in Dallas/Fort Worth, Austin, or Houston in terms of TX?

Any advice on what to shoot for in terms of a STEP 1 score for these programs? Should I try to do a few research projects to make up for my bad preclinical grades? Hopefully, I can get better grades 3rd yr.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Avoid residencies in Texas which have a high resident drop out rate or have a hard time filling with US MD's

I seriously doubt that many psychiatry residency training directors would give too much thought to basic science grades, especially since more and more schools are straight P/F. If you are AOA great, if not, whatever. I agree about Step 1. In American education, people love standardized test scores even if they acknowledge their limited, practical utility. From the SAT to the MCAT to Step 1 and now even Step 2, the score is what counts. Incidentally, the PD at UTSW is an analyst with a couch in his office... definitely one of my more memorable interviews!