Tx Resident Rejected Today. When to reapply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sharkman12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I opened TMDSAS today and saw "Sorry- you did not match to any school". I'm really disappointed, but I'm trying to look ahead. I'm thinking about reapplying this next cycle, but I don't know if I can improve my application significantly in that time. I had interviews at UT Southwestern, Medical Branch, and Houston.

Here my stats:

My cGPA is 3.87 and sGPA is 3.84. I got a 32 on the MCAT (12/10/10).

Major EC's:
-100 hours shadowing a Cardiologist summer before my freshman year
-300 hours working as a receptionist/shadowing an family medicine doctor the summer after my freshman and sophmore year
-150 hours at a free health volunteer clinic
-Net Impact(environmental business organization) since 2012
- serve on the corporate committee
-Health Advisory Committee since 2013
- serve on finance committee

I submitted the app in late September.

Over the next few months I'll continue volunteering at the health clinic and staying apart of my orgs. I was also looking into trying to find a doctor to shadow in Austin. Will that be enough to improve my application significantly or should I wait till 2016 to apply. Also for this gap year I was planning on working full time as a programmer to make use of my degree and make money, but I was wondering if med schools will look down on this.

I plan on contacting the medical school committee and discuss why I didn't get in, but I'd like some insight from you SDNers. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I secondaries were really late for the schools that needed them, so I think caused me to miss out on a couple schools. I heard UTSW gives interviews based on GPA+MCAT so I think thats the only reason I got that one.

I'm surprised you didn't get more interviews. You didn't apply anywhere outside TX? Any DO schools?
Do you think my timing was the biggest issue or is there something else. Two interviewers specifically gave me compliments about my personal statement so I don't think that was the issue. My interviews went ok, but could have been better. My LOR were probably average.

I don't know. Late application is bad, limited breadth of schools is bad, limiting yourself to only MD schools is bad. You didn't really give yourself the best possible shot this year.

Your app sounds like it should be excellent. You should apply to more schools and apply to DO schools. Also you may want to get feedback on your interviewing skills from a premed advisor, school you interviewed with, etc.

I don't know. Late application is bad, limited breadth of schools is bad, limiting yourself to only MD schools is bad. You didn't really give yourself the best possible shot this year.

Your app sounds like it should be excellent. You should apply to more schools and apply to DO schools. Also you may want to get feedback on your interviewing skills from a premed advisor, school you interviewed with, etc.
I applied to TCOM

If the question is "do I need to do more than a few months' work before I reapply" I don't know. Your app last year would most likely have been successful if you'd applied early. But now you're a reapplicant without a cause. I suggest:

1. have an answer for why you applied so late
2. try to get one or more schools to give you feedback on your app before you reapply, which may be useless info, but you have to try, because that might give you what you need to know to reapply this May or if you need to do more work
3. rewrite everything

Best of luck to you.

I'm sorry you didn't match :( you sound like you had a very solid application!

I would just get everything in May 1st! You only received interviews that didn't have secondaries, so I feel like that could've played a factor! Obviously don't bum around, but from my eyes I don't see any big flaws.

Also, don't give up hope of getting off the waitlist! I know many people who get pulled off of it in May when Baylor starts accepting a lot of people! I'll be sending positive thoughts your way! I wish you the best :)

The reason I applied late was because my dad lost his job right after finals, so I thought I might have to work out of college and wait on medical school because my family didn't know how long it would take for him to find another job. Luckily he networked and found one in three months so I started writing everything and got rec letters in August and September. Will the adcoms view this as a viable reason to apply late?

Thanks for all the help guys! Truly appreciate it :)

if you received interviews, but then were shut out, it's your interview skills. Add that to your late app, and you have your status.

So apply ASAP when the cycle starts again, and work on the interview skills.

Do you think my timing was the biggest issue or is there something else. Two interviewers specifically gave me compliments about my personal statement so I don't think that was the issue. My interviews went ok, but could have been better. My LOR were probably average.

Will the adcoms view this as a viable reason to apply late?
I'd buy it, but also have an answer for what you'll do when trouble strikes in the future. You can't be your family's provider, in any sense, during med school.

Reactions: 1 user
if you received interviews, but then were shut out, it's your interview skills. Add that to your late app, and you have your status.

So apply ASAP when the cycle starts again, and work on the interview skills.
Thanks for all feedback guys :)

I've heard that I shouldn't reapply with the same application, so I was wondering what I could do to make improvements in the next few months. I plan on continuing my volunteering at the clinic and stay in my orgs. I've been trying to find a shadowing experience for this semester, and I've talked to a friend about a research job he recently left that he would recommend me for. Is that enough improvement or should I be looking at something more?

Sounds good!

I've heard that I shouldn't reapply with the same application, so I was wondering what I could do to make improvements in the next few months. I plan on continuing my volunteering at the clinic and stay in my orgs. I've been trying to find a shadowing experience for this semester, and I've talked to a friend about a research job he recently left that he would recommend me for.