TX resident w/ 3.6 cGPA and 33 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wishingwell

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! Hispanic student from UT, born and raised in Texas. I could use some help on my list of schools to apply to.

cGPA: 3.6
BCPM: 3.44 ish
TMDSAS cGPA: 3.72
TMDSAS BCPM: 3.56

Had one semester with a 2.6 GPA. From that semester until I graduated (year and a half later with summer classes too) I got nothing below an A-.
MCAT: 33 (PS=12; V=11; BS=10) Some help my bio degree was.
Employment: 4200 ish hours. (Worked on average 30 hours a week while still being a full time student. None of my work is clinically related though.)
Clinical volunteering: 8 hours (I know, I know, working on getting more)
Physician shadowing: 150 hours with a cardiologist
Research: None
Nonclinical volunteering: 170ish hours
(This includes helping arrange a blood drive, community outreach programs for health, diabetes awareness week, habitat for humanity, nursing home visits, etc)
Plenty of leadership really.

List of schools: (Since I took AP credit for all of my physics)
Oregon Health & Science University School of Medicine
University of Wisconsin
Baylor
University of Minnesota
University of Alabama
Colorado (ehhh, not really)
University of Maryland
Irvine
University of Kansas
Georgetown University
Jefferson Medical College of Thomas Jefferson University
Medical University of South Carolina
University of New Mexico School of Medicine
George Washington University
Creighton
Virginia Tech
Drexel
Chicago: Rosalind Franklin

Already applied to:
UTHSCSA (My #1)
Houston
Galveston
El Paso
A&M
Galveston
Southwestern

Members don't see this ad.

Many schools have essentially given up on interviewing TX applicants, unless they attended OOS undergrads and/or look like scholarship material. It tends to waste everybody's time and $. If there is a school on your OOS list that you would rather attend than any IS school (and you believe that you can convince them of this!), or you believe that you can get a scholarship at this OOS school, then go ahead and apply. Otherwise stick to IS.

No matter what, remove OHSU and NM. If you are really going to apply OOS, get the MSAR and look for schools that at least accept a good number of OOS applicants.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Many schools have essentially given up on interviewing TX applicants, unless they attended OOS undergrads and/or look like scholarship material. It tends to waste everybody's time and $. If there is a school on your OOS list that you would rather attend than any IS school (and you believe that you can convince them of this!), or you believe that you can get a scholarship at this OOS school, then go ahead and apply. Otherwise stick to IS.

No matter what, remove OHSU and NM. If you are really going to apply OOS, get the MSAR and look for schools that at least accept a good number of OOS applicants.
Wow, those out of state schools are going to do me like that?

Thanks for the advice! With this in mind, I'll probably only apply to about 4 or 5 OOS schools.

Here's to hoping!

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, those out of state schools are going to do me like that?

Thanks for the advice! With this in mind, I'll probably only apply to about 4 or 5 OOS schools.

Here's to hoping!
It's not so much us. The state of TX has distinguished itself with a separate application system and the acquisition of sufficient public funds to make their medical school system into an offer you won't refuse.

Just be glad you aren't in my state where the large majority of excellent candidates must leave the state to go to medical school.

Reactions: 1 users
KU pretty heavily favors in state (92%) so for out of staters their standards are a lot higher to fill that 8%. Just keep that in mind. They're application has 8 essays so I would weigh if it's worth your time. But if you really want to go I say do it.