types of podiatric surgeries..?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DRCM

DRCM
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
this forum has been pretty quiet lately (i guess since its summer?).. anyway, got a question. i was doing some research on podiatry, but i can't seem to find the names or types of surgeries that podiatrists can do. the websites only say that podiatrists can perform foot and ankle surgery --> well duh :rolleyes: .. lol.

i think i can probably get more detailed answers from asking on this forum.. so, what are some of the surgeries that DPMs can perform? any types.. it doesn't matter if the surgeries can be performed only by a pod who completed a PMS-36 residency or the regular PMS-24 .. i can only think of bunion surgeries & ingrown toenails (it is considered surgery), but what are some other types?

thanks to anyone who answers :)

Members don't see this ad.

this forum has been pretty quiet lately (i guess since its summer?).. anyway, got a question. i was doing some research on podiatry, but i can't seem to find the names or types of surgeries that podiatrists can do. the websites only say that podiatrists can perform foot and ankle surgery --> well duh :rolleyes: .. lol.

i think i can probably get more detailed answers from asking on this forum.. so, what are some of the surgeries that DPMs can perform? any types.. it doesn't matter if the surgeries can be performed only by a pod who completed a PMS-36 residency or the regular PMS-24 .. i can only think of bunion surgeries & ingrown toenails (it is considered surgery), but what are some other types?

thanks to anyone who answers :)

It has been slow around here!

When I shadowed, I got to watch some stuff in the O.R. I saw: Achilles tendon repair (a cat bit the pt), removal of a bone fragment from the midfoot, broken toes, and a tumour removal from the great toe.

Now, I wish I could fall asleep...:mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
McBride
Silver
Reverdin-Green, Todd, etc
Juvara's
Logroscino
Loison/Balacescu
Trethowan
Crescentic
Crescentic Shelf
Lapidus
Proximal/Distal Akin
Jones Tenosuspension
Heyman Procedure
Hibbs Procedure
STATT
PTTT
Cole
Dwyer
Cotton

Many, many, many, many more. These are just the ones I had off the top of my head, I know I'm missing a lot more.

i like to say Scarf bunionectomy because it sounds like barf and that makes me giggle!

If you get a solid training program, you are prepared for many kinds of surgery. Based on the surgical cases the main attending docs like to do and garner referrals for, most programs will tend to have emphasis on one or two of these categories:

Elective: Bunions, hammertoes, plantar fascia, nail procedures, cosmetic, etc
Diabetic/limb salvage: incision and debridement, amputations, grafts/flaps, Charcot recon, etc
Advanced recon: flatfoot, Achilles, rheumatoid, neuromuscular deformities, fusions/implants, tumors, etc
Trauma: arthritis, fractures, tendon tears, traumatic skin wounds, etc
Pediatric: bunions, flatfoot, adductus, clubfoot, anatomic anomalies, etc

That's a pretty basic list, but 90+ percent of surgery by pods would probably fall into one of those general categories. The first two groupings alone (elective and diabetic) probably are 60 or 70 percent of what DPMs (nationwide) do right now.

What densmore listed are just eponyms for various F&A procedures. You will begin to notice very fast that podiatrists really like to name procedures after the original author... and they also like to classify trauma. It's important to know that stuff to take tests and for questions you might be asked on rotations, but more importantly, just learn to think systematically so that you understand pathology and rationale behind good procedure selections.

Last edited:
Are there any videos of some of these surgeries online? I searched on Youtube, but all I could really find were a few bunionectomies and some podiatry practice commercials...

Are there any videos of some of these surgeries online? I searched on Youtube, but all I could really find were a few bunionectomies and some podiatry practice commercials...
Most of the good surgical DVDs are for sale or, in some cases, included when you buy a textbook...

http://www.podiatryinstitute.com/videos.htm

http://www.amazon.com/Reconstructiv...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1215729021&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Surgery-Foot-...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1215729035&sr=1-1

Due to reasons of both copyrighting and patient confidentiality, I don't really think you will find any videos of good quality technique online free of charge, but I could be wrong...?