Typical DPT Interview Questions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chung2509

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am scheduling a DPT interview right now and this question popped into my head. What kind of questions would you be expecting at the interview? Just so I can get prepared. Also, should I go with the suit or just a shirt and tie? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Wear the suit.

They'll ask you the typical questions one might expect, namely, why do you want to be a physical therapist. This question, although it seems simple, is probably one that trips up a lot of applicants. Stay away from the generic "I want to help people" crap, and think of something that is honest and original regarding your desire to be a PT.

Why do you want to be a therapist? (no cliche answers--unless you can turn it into a joke, but that is hard to do with the high stress situation and all)

What makes you think you are an ideal candidate for our school?

How do you deal with stress/heavy course loads/what do you do for fun?

What kind of experience do you have in the area of PT/what about your background qualifies you for this program? (you would think they know this about you already given all the material you submitted to them, but they don't)

What questions do you have for us? (this may be one of the most important questions you will be asked, do your homework on each school and think of important questions that are not geared toward just making you noticeable in the crowd, i.e. the questions have to be meaningful--remember these people are smarter than you and have seen every kind of game thrown at them--they know when you are being genuine and when you are not)

Aside from those questions, I really do not remember any of the others. It seems to me that you will be asked some version of each of those listed.

As far as dress, I would recommend wearing a suit and tie. While it is always accepted when someone overdresses, it it looked poorly upon when somebody under dresses. That said, if you remain cool and confident throughout your interview the interviewers are not likely to notice the clothes you are wearing provided they meet minimal professional standards.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also have a question...

I have an interview the 21st at the University of St,Augustine...And I was the told the interview process actually involves a PT related essay question...Can anyone provide any insight into what it might be like?

Thanks!

I have an interview the 21st at the University of St,Augustine...And I was the told the interview process actually involves a PT related essay question...Can anyone provide any insight into what it might be like?

Thanks!

It could be related to the issues that the PTs are facing today such as direct access and such, but this is just a guess.

We actually didn't have to do an interview to get into the Pitt DPT program (weird). But I would imagine the written essays parallel the interviews in that people are looking for depth of interest. That is, when answering "why do you want to...?" and "why here?" you basically want to show that you have thought about it and have developed some knowledge base. About that particular program, you know something about their focus, their research, their unique qualities. About the profression, you know something about what you like, what you don't, what you might specialize in or why you will not specialize or if you don't have a clue, what you are doing to get a clue and why that school will be the tool to provide that opportunity.

If they get the idea you are thinking and involved on some level, you've made the impression they are interested in.

I just got home from an interview a few hours ago, so here it is while it's still fresh in my mind.

Written essay asked questions about how you would handle a patient refusing care, a general strengths and weaknesses question, and asked for an example of when you have faced a challenge.

The traditional faculty interview asked for examples of when you have demonstrated a series of 5 characteristics (leadership, etc.), with a separate example for each trait.

ETA: Definitely wear the suit too. My interview invitation suggested "business interview attire." In my opinion, that means suit, period.

Callmecrazy,

Can you think of the other 4 characteristics besides leadership that they asked you about? I'm in the process of practicing for an interview and seem to be having a hard time determining what characteristics they might be looking for during my interview.

Callmecrazy,

Can you think of the other 4 characteristics besides leadership that they asked you about? I'm in the process of practicing for an interview and seem to be having a hard time determining what characteristics they might be looking for during my interview.

Perhaps someone that has interviewed here more recently may have a better recollection, but I'll try. In the oral interview I was asked to give an example of a situation in which I:
1. ...had to a handle a problem or situation in which I didn't not have all the information I needed.
2. ...had to go against the majority and how I handled it.
3. ...took a leadership role in order to reach a goal.
4. ...didn't have the answers or had to seek answers out myself (something along those lines- most likely asked bc they use a PBL format)
5. ...was in a situation where I was not comfortable and how I overcame that.

Those are very, very roughly paraphrased; I remember my answers a lot better than I remember the questions. My suggestion for preparing to interview is to really get to know yourself and identify unique experiences that you have had; write them down and review them repeatedly if you have to. If you have a clear idea of what has shaped you, it will be easier for you to pull from those expereiences during your interview. Good Luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi~
Definitely wear the suit. And look sharp; don't drink the night before, 8hrs. sleep, shave, etc., etc.

I had two interviews a few weeks ago (got accepted into both); one was with a panel of professors and a writing sample, and the other was one-on-one with a professor. Either way, be polite and respectful, but don't be too formal to the point where it's q+a; make it conversational.

Both sets asked me why I chose that school, why I wanted to be a PT, where I saw myself in 10 years, what makes me tick, and what sets me apart from other applicants. For example, running makes me tick because I can feel my anatomy at work (I'm a big anatomy buff). If you have a particular life experience that influenced you to do PT instead of ie. med school, explain that. So soul search a little, write your answers down, but don't practice them to the point where you sounds like you're reciting something.

Also, be excited. Nothing turns people more on than an enthusiastic person.

Reactions: 1 user

Thanks!

Hi,
My essay interview question for one of my schools was as follows:
What health issue today do you think is a growing trend.
-Do the standard 5 paragraph essay; intro, 2-3 points, conclusion
-Don't forget to relate PT to the question

Best of luck!

Hey,

Does anyone have more examples of "experience" type questions (tell us a time when...)?

And are there any answers that would not be appropriate? (ex: if you have both, is it better for the "leadership" example to be a work-related one or an outside of work one?)

Thanks!
m.b.m.