About the ads

1. Check out PREMED.me!
    Offers FREE service to help premeds manage their applications and MCAT study calendars and identify schools to target.

Tyrosine derived hormones

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by byronicbear, Feb 24, 2012.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. byronicbear

byronicbear

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Hi all,

I am a bit confused about Tyrosine. I though tyrosine has a polar side chain so it's a polar molecule. However, tyrosine is lipid soluble!:confused:

Could someone help me out here?
    Many thanks in advance.
  2. tetrahedral22

tetrahedral22

Hello byronicbear,

Tyrosine-derived amine hormones are divided into two major classes: catecholamines and thyroid hormones. It's important to know this because one class behaves like peptides and the other like steroids.

Catecholamines (epinephrine and norepinephrine) are produced in the adrenal medulla and act like peptide hormones, i.e. act on cell membranes in order to activate second messenger G proteins through adrenergic receptors. They are minimally-modified tyrosine monoamines (with an extra hydroxyl on the tyrosine side-chain ring, increasing its polarity) so they do not cross the cell membrane.

Thyroid hormones (T4, T3) are more processed and include two iodinated benzyl rings, making the molecules sufficiently non-polar that they can easily diffuse through the cell membrane and act on nuclear receptors to cause metabolic changes (like steroid hormones). Think of them as being more steroid-like because of the extra ring.

I hope this helps!
  3. SN2ed

SN2ed Moderator

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Thread closed. These types of questions belong in the MCAT Study Q&A forum.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.